test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

It's not "JJ-Trek" people

valastsarranvalastsarran Member Posts: 46
edited September 2014 in Ten Forward
Let's get things set straight. It's not JJ-Trek ... he didn't write the new films. First one was actually co-written by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, Abrams merely directed the film and brought their story to life.

Just saying...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    His name is on it, he gets blamed for what's in it.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well he did decide on the lens-flares, and had pretty solid say in how things and scenes looks...

That's why I blame him...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Also he was the one who tried to get CBS to pull all TOS merchandise so he would be the only one who gets to sell Kirk and Co.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ...and this needed its own thread on the general STO discussion board because...? Help me out here.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    hravik wrote: »
    ...and this needed its own thread on the general STO discussion board because...? Help me out here.

Because it's new, it's exciting, it has NEVER been seen before.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    And the world hunger is solved because we don't call it JJ Trek.....Who cares. The movies weren't that bad.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Because it's new, it's exciting, it has NEVER been seen before.

Oh, well, that explains it then. Carry on.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It is jj trek he had the final say on the last 2 films n will still get a say in the next one as its his film company thats making it. I liked the last 2 films but i went in expecting it to be 100% diffrent from the trek i fell in love with.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well it certainly ain't Star Trek, so it's gotta be called something -- and marketing was heavy on promoting that hack Abrams, so he gets all the credit for that abomination of an alternate universe.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Just saying...

and how does one "speak" on the internet? one can write things on the internet but not speak it because its not like a voip or telephone conversation, its a digital world. just stating the obvious...

as for jj stuff, thats a horse poked, flogged and buried repeatedly... so what does this have to do with star trek online? it should of been posted in ten forward.

edit: mod had moved it across, so there it is.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Let's get things set straight. It's not JJ-Trek ... he didn't write the new films. First one was actually co-written by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, Abrams merely directed the film and brought their story to life.

Just saying...

Let's get things set straight. Nobody cares. "JJverse" is handy shorthand.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,764 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    havent seen these movies yet

are they available on vhs
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,630 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    hawku001x wrote: »

no, Beta.. and Laserdisc I think

and PAL format, not NTSC
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    hawku001x wrote: »

LOL

Don't bother. The first one is meh if you can ignore the TRIBBLE-up character work and the gaping plotholes, and the second one is one giant plothole with a spiderweb of Benedict Cumberbatch's superb acting skills trying vainly to patch it.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,403 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    LOL

Don't bother. The first one is meh if you can ignore the TRIBBLE-up character work and the gaping plotholes, and the second one is one giant plothole with a spiderweb of Benedict Cumberbatch's superb acting skills trying vainly to patch it.
    I disagree. The "TRIBBLE-up characters" in the first one are the result of the divergent timeline (for instance, growing up without the stabilizing influence of his mother at home and his father George providing an example, young Jim Kirk grew up to be even more of an impulsive hellion than he had been in the original timeline - for which he was finally, belatedly called to account in the second). However, it had more than a few gaping plot holes of its own, most notably (to my mind) the idea of escaping a forming black hole, which is defined by the fact that its escape velocity is greater than the speed of light, by throwing away their warp core - the one thing that could make the ship go faster than light. And, of course, the idea that instead of a medal, Midshipman Kirk would suddenly get not only commissioned (when the last time he was at the Academy, they were discussing dismissing him), but jumped six grades in rank to Captain.

The second one almost lost me at the "cold fusion" thing, but that was hardly the director's fault - the writers failed at basic research there. After that, though, the parts that stymied me might have been laid at the director's feet, most notably that big open well in the middle of the Enterprise. One does not build starships, particularly more militarized starships (as had come to be in that universe) with such huge gaping empty spaces in the middle for no reason. It's a structural weakness, if nothing else, and if gravity goes out anyone in it is screwed. (Cf the eternal question, "Why is there a chasm in the Death Star?")

The plot itself held together well enough, I thought - Khan sought vengeance against the man who was threatening all that remained of his people, and he recognized in Kirk someone driven enough by principle to question his orders given the motivation. (I imagine such people were a major thorn in Khan's side during the Eugenics Wars - it's hard to be a ruthless dictator when some of your underlings have a conscience.) Spock screaming was a bit over the top, and they'd already had their callback to TWoK when Kirk and Spock had their touching little moment through the door, so that in particular was unnecessary, but that wasn't a plot hole so much as a poor choice of character moments. (However, his actions after that reminded us why, in the Mirror Universe, Sulu could be made nervous when Spock reminded him that Spock's death would be avenged by Vulcan agents.)

The movie did, however, suffer badly from Sci-Fi Writers Have No Sense of Scale; as far as I could tell, Qo'noS was even closer to Earth in this than in Enterprise (where it was at least a week away at Warp 5, while STID seemed to depict it as a quick hop at Warp 7).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    You're correct, it's not 'JJ Trek', it's just Star Trek.

Now ST V, that's not Star Trek :D.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    In other words, it's just like Start Trek in the prime universe?
    Pointing out that other Trek had issues (which I don't deny) does not excuse the errors in JJTrek... That kind of 'defence' simply does not cut it...
    If Paramount refuses to officially carry on the prime universe in the films, and there is still a demand for Star Trek, the TOS era is still ripe for storytelling. But I highly doubt we will ever see the surviving members of the TOS cast together again in a Trek production. And let's face it: the TNG cast are done as well. Brent Spiner has pretty much made it clear he's done with Data. Patrick Stewart isn't looking back, either.

Some of the actors from the entire spectrum of Star Trek are reprising their roles in independent productions of Trek, such as Renegades and Axanar. But I do not see the TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT "bands" ever getting back together.

When the next New Trek movie comes out, I will be there to see it. When Renegades launches, either as a stand-alone web production or the web series that Tim Russ and the others are hoping to get the green light for, I will be there to see it. When the Axanar full production launches, I will be there to watch it as well.
    Have you seen Star Trek Continues? Gene Roddenberry's son has said that not only does he consider it canon, but that he believes that his dad would also consider it canon if he was still alive. That's good enough for me...

As much as Tuvok is probably my favourite Vulcan, the stuff I've seen Tim Russ work on is frankly little more than an embarrassing attempt to hold on to The Good Old Days... Axanar, however, does look good...
  • Options
    icerose20icerose20 Member Posts: 18,379 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Ancient Griffon insult

That one is so stupid, he lost a Rock/Paper/Scissors game to a Pony.
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Have you seen Star Trek Continues? Gene Roddenberry's son has said that not only does he consider it canon, but that he believes that his dad would also consider it canon if he was still alive. That's good enough for me...

Didn't he also say his dad would have liked the JJ films? :)
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Oh I LOVE THIS! :D

*furiously eats popcorn*
  • Options
    catjarrettcatjarrett Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    And now he has his hands on Star Wars, too.

*gets Jiffy Pop to make use of the impending flames*
  • Options
    captainzheicaptainzhei Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This is the cheapest troll-baiting thread I've seen. Star Trek fanatics hate the new Star Trek films. Let's all chuckle at how old this joke is.
    ==========================================
    Captaincy, Excelsior-Class U.S.S. Bianca Beauchamp NCC-99947-F

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    catjarrettcatjarrett Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Except all indications are he is doing his best to be true to the classic Star Wars approach with reliance on practical effects and actual physical sets on location rather than on CG effects. Now I am sure that Episode VII will have its share of CG, and knowing JJ, more than a fair share of lens flares, but if he can deliver a movie-going experience that even remotely feels like Episodes IV-VI, then I will embrace the lens flares whole-heartedly.

More of a bad joke than anything else. Most of what I've heard about the new SW is making me very, very nervous, but ah well. That's the script team from Disney, not Abrams.

Personally, I enjoy the Abrams ST movies as what they are, stories told in an alternate timeline universe. The biggest problem I can't wrap my head around is the whole Spock-Uhura thing because Spock's upbringing shouldn't have been significantly impacted and I have been a steadfast supporter of Chapel since day one. :D
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Time for another Abrams Derangement Syndrome thread already?

Oh, well. Here you all go.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,403 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    catjarrett wrote: »
    The biggest problem I can't wrap my head around is the whole Spock-Uhura thing because Spock's upbringing shouldn't have been significantly impacted and I have been a steadfast supporter of Chapel since day one. :D
    Once again, rewatch the early TOS episodes, particularly the rec-room scene in "Charlie X". The relationship is canon, although probably carried a bit farther in the reboot movies than in the mainline universe.

(As for principals involved, Gene Roddenberry said that the difference between Spock in the first pilot and the second is explained by the idea that he was exploring his Human emotional heritage for a time. And Nichelle Nichols said that the way she played their scenes was based on the idea she picked up from the scripts that Uhura and Spock had been together for a time, but had split up amicably.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    catjarrett wrote: »
    More of a bad joke than anything else. Most of what I've heard about the new SW is making me very, very nervous, but ah well. That's the script team from Disney, not Abrams.

Personally, I enjoy the Abrams ST movies as what they are, stories told in an alternate timeline universe. The biggest problem I can't wrap my head around is the whole Spock-Uhura thing because Spock's upbringing shouldn't have been significantly impacted and I have been a steadfast supporter of Chapel since day one. :D

Well, if you watch the first few episodes of TOS, Uhura and Spock seem to know each other very well, or at least have a kind of repertoire that Spock doesn't have with many other characters, so it can be speculated that the two did have a relationship of some sort in the Prime Timeline before the start of TOS.

I think that was actually part of the original plan (at least, I believe I've heard that somewhere). Either way, it doesn't bother me that much. Once you change one part of the past, there's no telling how that will affect everything else.