test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

It's not "JJ-Trek" people

Comments

• marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    catjarrett wrote: »
    I'm also a fan of Highlander, so you see why it's not THAT big of a deal continuity-wise. :P

There was One Movie, and a TV Series. And that is all :cool::P:D
  • catjarrettcatjarrett Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    @markhawkman
    Yup yup. We call it CF, or Cool Factor. ;) My daughter couldn’t stand looking at TOS because it is so dated, until Vic Mignonga and Todd Haberkorn started Continues. But yeah, back then it was THE cutting edge. Not to be silly but it is truly fascinating.

@marcusdkane
    I admit to two movies. Yes, I count End Game. I know, I know. Be quiet. I’m such a fangurl I rewrote it to be continuity correct though, which means NO MARRIAGE FOR DUNCAN. *fume*
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,435 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well, in the end, there can be only one... :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited September 2014
    jonsills wrote: »

There is not a desk big enough to face.

That was bad and you should feel bad.

*snicker*
    edited September 2014
    I admit to two movies. Yes, I count End Game. I know, I know. Be quiet. I’m such a fangurl I rewrote it to be continuity correct though, which means NO MARRIAGE FOR DUNCAN. *fume*
    There were bits in EndGame which I loved, such as the scenes where Connor tried to stop them burning his mother at the stake, I just wish they'd made it when they started the series so Christopher Lambert's age wasn't so obvious... (and indeed, during the TV series, a palmist had told Duncan he would never marry. Now while that could have meant neverever, it could equally be interpreted to mean that he and Tess would never marry...) The other movies... pfft... The animated series was interesting, and at least showed the idea of an Immortal transferring their Quickening non-fatally (I guess a cartoon couldn't go showing decapitation :P )
    edited September 2014
    edited September 2014

:cool::cool:
    edited September 2014
    There were bits in EndGame which I loved, such as the scenes where Connor tried to stop them burning his mother at the stake, I just wish they'd made it when they started the series so Christopher Lambert's age wasn't so obvious... (and indeed, during the TV series, a palmist had told Duncan he would never marry. Now while that could have meant neverever, it could equally be interpreted to mean that he and Tess would never marry...) The other movies... pfft... The animated series was interesting, and at least showed the idea of an Immortal transferring their Quickening non-fatally (I guess a cartoon couldn't go showing decapitation :P )

Yeah, I'm not real sure why they chose the makeup they did for Lambert in EG. It puzzled me then and it puzzles me now. The only thing I can think is they were trying to show how haggard he'd become due to his immortality.

Of course I can't remember which ep it was but there was a discussion between Duncan and Joe and it was strongly intimated that Duncan had never married, and wouldn't marry Tessa. So between that and the palmist...

The animated series was...strange. It was like The Source. It stuck in bits of Highlander lore into a sci-fi action flick but didn't really fit.

The Sorcerer wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. There are bits of canon from that I agree with, like the holy ground fighting. And it had Mario van Peebles. Never a bad thing.

It saddens me that Rysher dropped the novelizations. A few decent ones were released. But they decided to go a different direction. And we got The Raven, a cop show that had an immortal in it.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Yes, Highlander II: The Quickening is the only Highlander movie ever made.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited September 2014
    iconians wrote: »

*torn between hysterical laughter and gibbering rage*

There you go.
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, I'm not real sure why they chose the makeup they did for Lambert in EG. It puzzled me then and it puzzles me now. The only thing I can think is they were trying to show how haggard he'd become due to his immortality.
    I think they realised they couldn't disguise his age (equally, Connor was only 18 when he resurrected, Lambert was always too old for the role, IMHO) so as you said, just showed him as being world-weary...

Of course I can't remember which ep it was but there was a discussion between Duncan and Joe and it was strongly intimated that Duncan had never married, and wouldn't marry Tessa. So between that and the palmist...
    I haven't seen every episode, so not too sure, but it wouldn't surprise me...

The animated series was...strange. It was like The Source. It stuck in bits of Highlander lore into a sci-fi action flick but didn't really fit.
    It definitely had some flaws, the Source on the other hand, was just embarrassing :(

The Sorcerer wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. There are bits of canon from that I agree with, like the holy ground fighting. And it had Mario van Peebles. Never a bad thing.

It saddens me that Rysher dropped the novelizations. A few decent ones were released. But they decided to go a different direction. And we got The Raven, a cop show that had an immortal in it.
    The Sorcerer was essentially a remake of Highlander, and totally screwed the concept of Connor using Ramirez' sword after Heather's death, but yes, Mario van Peebles was awesome in it :D I only read one of the novels, I suspect they just didn't get much readership...
    edited September 2014

I wouldn't mind seeing the Director's Cut which removes all references to any alienness...
    edited September 2014
    I wouldn't mind seeing the Director's Cut which removes all references to any alienness...

The theatrical cut is the only cut.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited September 2014

Alas, it is still unfinished, but is marginally better. The Renegade Cut is something that Russel Mulcahey (director) cobbled together after being kicked off the original shoot due to severe scheduling defects. There was a natural disaster in the country they were filming in which ran to overages, but the studio pulled the plug, threw in some alien stuff to fill the gaps, and we got the movie. The Renegade version is better, but still not great. The problem was the story itself being too topically political (the ozone layer, you used the Prize on THAT?!) and starting the trend for futuristic sci-fi settings for Highlander.

As much as I love Mulcahey there was a lot of that script that could just not be saved. From the ozone layer to Ramirez return during Hamlet to Michael Ironsides as a bad wannabe Kurgan, I think it was doomed from the start. It lacked all of the charm and pathos of the first. The aliens just made it hilariously bad.
    The theatrical cut is the only cut.

Incorrect. The Renegade Version is real, see above. I own it on VHS. Mulcahey manufactured and released it largely out of his own pocket.

That's if you were serious about it.
    edited September 2014
    Incorrect. The Renegade Version is real, see above. I own it on VHS. Mulcahey manufactured and released it largely out of his own pocket.

It's really just a mutilation of the cinematic masterpiece which was Highlander II: The Quickening.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited September 2014
    It's really just a mutilation of the cinematic masterpiece which was Highlander II: The Quickening.

Can you mutilate offal? I had no idea! :P
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I look at the new movies as they are...an alternate reality. No one gets upset when Mirror Universe has the characters acting differently so why are we flipping out on this alternate universe?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    edited September 2014
    Alas, it is still unfinished, but is marginally better. The Renegade Cut is something that Russel Mulcahey (director) cobbled together after being kicked off the original shoot due to severe scheduling defects. There was a natural disaster in the country they were filming in which ran to overages, but the studio pulled the plug, threw in some alien stuff to fill the gaps, and we got the movie. The Renegade version is better, but still not great. The problem was the story itself being too topically political (the ozone layer, you used the Prize on THAT?!) and starting the trend for futuristic sci-fi settings for Highlander.

As much as I love Mulcahey there was a lot of that script that could just not be saved. From the ozone layer to Ramirez return during Hamlet to Michael Ironsides as a bad wannabe Kurgan, I think it was doomed from the start. It lacked all of the charm and pathos of the first. The aliens just made it hilariously bad.

Ahh, I guess there's only so much one can do with the raw material :D I didn't realise Mulcahey had re-cut it himself :cool:
    edited September 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I look at the new movies as they are...an alternate reality. No one gets upset when Mirror Universe has the characters acting differently so why are we flipping out on this alternate universe?
    The Mirror Universe is accepted as 'occasional visits and not impacting on the PrimeVerse' (which is arguably true of the JJFilms) but, no one's tried saying that MU should become the Only Trek Available, which JJ did try and do...

(for the record, I've seen Into Darkness over a dozen times as it's an easy film to watch, but there're certainly issues in it, thanks to the hackery of JJ and Co, which can't be overlooked...)
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's called JJTrek because it's a reboot of the TOS series. If it was a continuation, like say a series about the Terran universe called Star Trek: Shattered Mirror or something, you'd call it Mirror Trek or just STSM. It needs a title to make sure fans don't confuse the reboot with the original series and ask who is William Shatner and where is Chris Pine.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's called JJTrek because it's a reboot of the TOS series. If it was a continuation, like say a series about the Terran universe called Star Trek: Shattered Mirror or something, you'd call it Mirror Trek or just STSM. It needs a title to make sure fans don't confuse the reboot with the original series and ask who is William Shatner and where is Chris Pine.

Or vice versa; who is Chris Pine? Where's William Shatner? ;)

I love how the term 'JJTrek' started out as derogatory and has since become accepted shorthand for use even by fans of JJTrek, such as myself.
    edited September 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Or vice versa; who is Chris Pine? Where's William Shatner? ;)

I love how the term 'JJTrek' started out as derogatory and has since become accepted shorthand for use even by fans of JJTrek, such as myself.

Eh. It's been three years. We get over it.

Even I'm okay with JJTrek now. My hate for Lt. Barclay supercedes my hate for JJ Abrams.

BARCLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

*shakes fist to the heavens*
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I thought the remastered title was Highlander 2: Electric Boogaloo?
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    My Sarcasm Meter Spiked, And Exploded. Thanks People.:D
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Let's get things set straight. It's not JJ-Trek ... he didn't write the new films. First one was actually co-written by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, Abrams merely directed the film and brought their story to life.

Just saying...

I've skipped the entire thread, as it is late and to be honest, I only wanted to reply to this statement.

Freedom of Speech ring any bells there OP ??

I can call that terminal pile of [insert animal faeces reference here] any name I like.
    And, as the term J.J. Trek denotes the aforementioned pile of animal faeces (plus is shorter to type !!!!) meaning - I will use it until my heart is content.

Like it, or lump it - either way, you have no right or power to dictate what I can or cannot say.

Straight enough for you?

Darn J.J. Trekkie upstarts, think they know it all. I was a fan back when Picard had hair :P
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I thought the remastered title was Highlander 2: Electric Boogaloo?

That scene where MacCloud is dancing with sword is awesome.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    edited September 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    Freedom of Speech ring any bells there OP ??
    Yes, it does. Has Congress attempted to pass a law declaring "JJTrek" to be a stupid neologism, much less forbidden its use? No? Then the First Amendment is intact, champ.

"Freedom of speech" does not translate as "I get to say whatever dumb thing enters my head, and no one can gainsay me."
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited September 2014
    Yes, it does. Has Congress attempted to pass a law declaring "JJTrek" to be a stupid neologism, much less forbidden its use? No? Then the First Amendment is intact, champ.

"Freedom of speech" does not translate as "I get to say whatever dumb thing enters my head, and no one can gainsay me."

Why do we even have a military to defend these rights if the people don't even know how they work?

:rolleyes:

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Honestly i could not stand highlander 2 wth were they thinking it was terrible idk what it was even about it was a crapper just my opinion.
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You know... it shouldn't really be called "Star Trek," either. They don't trek through stars. They also usually don't trek between stars, but rather between planets. "Space Trek" would be a more accurate name.

:P