test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How many of you here PvP?

1235»

Comments

• lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    The numbers bantered around stand at about 6% of the player base PVE, which is below even the player base for the KDF.

Lol, the KDF player base is so low that their sector only has one instance. Even BU has multiple instances.
  • johnchrightonjohnchrighton Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I PVPed once, it was terrible and I will never make that mistake again.
    Headlong into mystery
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited August 2014
    PvP is all I do now. Once X2 is out and they make all the gear obsolete will be another blow. Somehow ... despite all the broken stuff and OP P2W TRIBBLE Cryptic has put out there ... PvP has survived. It is very resilient!
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • mynameisnommynameisnom Member Posts: 639 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yup. Do space and ground. Avoid the queues though unless I'm in the mood to either encounter some poor blockers who don't knownthe first thing about pvp or a 5 man(or woman, take your pick) scim team, or 5 eng turret spam 5 tac instacloak lunge kill, or 5sci team exothermic cremation, so on. I tend to do 1v1's with friends in space, OPvPeeps, redditers, fleeties, people on esd zone who want to test tank/damage. And if I'm feeling lucky, 5v1 ground matches, in which I die a horrible death or have a 3 hour shanty match my tac kitty finally ended up winning (yeah 60 kills :P) overall, I avoid space-squatch pvp queues but anything else is chill. Ker'rat fbper? Meet my rom trannyboat ^_^
    [SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
    stoutes wrote: »
    Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
    The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"
  • mynameisnommynameisnom Member Posts: 639 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Also, wondering why so many people do pvp once, then never do it again. Ever heard of second chances? :D
    [SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
    stoutes wrote: »
    Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
    The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tinnytimps wrote: »
    Just curious, as to how many of the people here participate in PvP like myself.

In STO, I did a lot that first year. I haven't done much at all outside of some private queues since then though.

In other games I PVP a bit. I really liked it in Wildstar for instance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • luk3gittinsluk3gittins Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    i do pvp occasionly, often complaning about lockbox ships haveing stupid consoles lol, anyway i think pvp at level 49 is so much better and balanced than pvp at rank 50. if there was a pvp where you were matched with opponants with similar ranked gear i would spend 80% of my time in pvp but as it is i dont take it seriasly
  • johnchrightonjohnchrighton Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Also, wondering why so many people do pvp once, then never do it again. Ever heard of second chances? :D

Indeed I have and PvP in no way deserves a second chance from me. :D
    Headlong into mystery
  • nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There's PVE?
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014

Before I started PvPing regularly with my sci drain build, I had tried it 6 months prior to that, and I stopped trying with my TAC captain because my ship spent more time blown up than alive. My sci ship survives way better.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I "pvp" in the same way I "mine for dilithium". I see my daily off cooldown, and I immediately pick it up and hope it gets over with asap.

Technically speaking, I do pvp. But it's about as half-hearted as the dilithium minigame is for me. Once it hits 735 I just hit Esc and beam up. There is no incentive for me to ever 'do better' in terms of the dilithium minigame, just as there's no incentive for me to 'do better' in pvp.

I'd personally say I put as much effort into pvping as Cryptic spent effort creating the pvp experience. I'll fake it and push random buttons and hope for the best, but I have no illusions in regards to my expectations.

I hope and pray for quick, one-sided fights which means the sooner the match is over with, the sooner I can get it over with 2 more times, then not touch it for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I'll bring one of my lockbox ships like my JHAS with a purposefully sub-optimal build just because I know there are enough envious players who want to get their pound of flesh from targeting me first (and thus in game types like Arena, means getting the other team their 15 kills faster, and thus getting the match over with quicker). My all rainbow turret JHAS is quite lulzy in pvp. Sometimes I'll throw on the Ferengi Rapid Fire Missile for even more WTF comments of people wondering why I'd mutilate such an awesome ship.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I play friendly matches with my fleeties on occasion but my builds are all PVE-centric.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Here! Hereeee! Heeeeeeeeereeeeeeeeee!

Proud hardcore PvPer with three alts. :D
  • torachtorach Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Ofcourse i pvp. Its the only worthwhile challenge left i this game.

That being said, pvp in this game has a very long learning curve. What most people doesnt understand is that even though they might have a build with all the best gear in this game, it requires alot of practice to learn how to use your skills correctly. It require you to watch buffs, shield facings, the gfx, and you have to constantly be aware on whats going on around you. And above everything else timing. When to go all out. Because 90% of everyone i face in pvp go all out at once... and that will only let an experienced player wait until there is an opening and blow you up.

And i see alot more diversity in builds in pvp than i have ever seen in pve. In pve dps is all that matters.... atleast for space. There are almost no stf or pve content that i know of that cannot be taken down by a brute force of pure dps. And i can somewhat understand why people new to pvp gets put off when their most successful pve builds really does not live up to their expectations after getting blown up over and over in pvp.

I love pvp because this game is the only game i know of that offers such a wast diversity in builds. That you can actually create something unique that noone else can just copy. Certain builds require an enormous amount of practice to master, and when you do master it. Playing pvp becomes the most fun you will ever have in this game.

If you want to start to pvp be sure that the first weeks or even months, you will get blown up alot. But if you ask the right people for advice and give it time, almost every battle you go into will give you the same epic feeling you got from taking down the borg queen for the first time.
    "Better were the days when mastery o' space came not from bargains struck with eldritch creatures... but from the sweat of a man's brow and the strength of his back alone. Ye all know thi's to be true!"
  • carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've never done PvP. From the stories on here, it sounds terrifying and I suspect I'd be decimated in less than five seconds.
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    I hope and pray for quick, one-sided fights which means the sooner the match is over with, the sooner I can get it over with 2 more times, then not touch it for the rest of the day.

Me too. For me PvP is "just" a source for Dillithium. I've started playing a mmo for the cooperative way of playing and not the competive one.
    If PvP wouldn't have any Dillithium reward I don't think I wouldn't participate in any match.

Anyway that's just my opinion :-)
  • goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The kind of pvp I wanted will never be reality is this game, I got over it a long time ago. Archeage, EQ Next and Star Citzen will fill the need for what I want.

Better and more challenging PVE content will be nice.