test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

You going to buy a ship for a while?

13»

Comments

• warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    After finding the news of Tier 6, you gotta be an idiot to buy a ship now.

And if you recently bought a JHAS, Bulwark, or something ridiculously priced, I feel for you :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    How do people know ship sales have halted? From the exchange or what?

Anyway, until more information is released, I'm holding off on everything. For the time being, might as well start saving up.

I had to laugh.
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    I had to laugh.
    It is a valid question. I wonder that myself. Is it because you see less of the ships in the game? If that's the case, then that means very little.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    After finding the news of Tier 6, you gotta be an idiot to buy a ship now.

And if you recently bought a JHAS, Bulwark, or something ridiculously priced, I feel for you :D

Why??? PVE is so easy in this game you can do it with T4 ships, So i don't see how t6 are going to replace anything.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • blahhdreyblahhdrey Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It is a valid question. I wonder that myself. Is it because you see less of the ships in the game? If that's the case, then that means very little.

Not to speak for rinkster at all but it was kind of funny. "How do you know people aren't buying ships?" "I personally won't be buying ships for a while."
    dEpN3nB.png?1
    edited August 2014
    blahhdrey wrote: »
    Not to speak for rinkster at all but it was kind of funny. "How do you know people aren't buying ships?" "I personally won't be buying ships for a while."
    I won't buy anything for a while but that has nothing to do with the Tier 6 ship advent. I'm going to be patient with my money and buy when I feel the time is right. I had already planned on not buying anything for a while before the announcement was made yesterday.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Why??? PVE is so easy in this game you can do it with T4 ships, So i don't see how t6 are going to replace anything.

I think you just made the case for why T6 ships are going to be significantly better than any T5.5 ship currently in the game.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    I think you just made the case for why T6 ships are going to be significantly better than any T5.5 ship currently in the game.

Or I made my case as to why waste money on a T6 ship.
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited August 2014
    Maybe they'll release a T6 ship that I think looks cool or suits one of my character concepts. Lord knows I don't give a damn about ship builds, boff setups, or stats. :)
    I don't either, I fly the ships I fly because I like the looks of them even if there are people who think they're horrible looking ships.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I won't be buying anything. It's because I already have everything I want from the C-store. :P
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited August 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Or I made my case as to why waste money on a T6 ship.

Well obviously they will make T6 ships significantly better, so that you can't bring a valuable contribution to a mission if you are in a T5.5 ship.

After all, if it was worth while just upgrading, they would sell their new T6 ships as well as they could if you were still competitive in a 5.5 ship.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Not buying a damn thing now. And I was just getting around to Fleeting-up 5 characters that I'd been setting things up for, so like a million dil or so that won't be spent. After all, why buy new Fleet weapons when it'll be inferior to a quest-farmable Mk13[acc]x2 weapon soon enough?
  • mrtsheadmrtshead Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Well obviously they will make T6 ships significantly better, so that you can't bring a valuable contribution to a mission if you are in a T5.5 ship.

After all, if it was worth while just upgrading, they would sell their new T6 ships as well as they could if you were still competitive in a 5.5 ship.

Oh, cool! You've seen the actual stats and powers of the T6 ships, as well as the new missions? Because that's the only possible way your confidence in your opinion makes sense. Given Cryptic's track record of making the barrier to entry for the end-game missions very, very low, how do you justify the claim that someone in a current top-end ship will be unable to be a valuable contributor? Or are you falling into the fallacy of thinking that only being the best is "valuable"?

Also, please explain why it is bad for Cryptic to want to offer you a ship that you like more than your current ship, so that you are willing to pay money for it?
    edited August 2014
    mrtshead wrote: »
    Oh, cool! You've seen the actual stats and powers of the T6 ships, as well as the new missions? Because that's the only possible way your confidence in your opinion makes sense. Given Cryptic's track record of making the barrier to entry for the end-game missions very, very low, how do you justify the claim that someone in a current top-end ship will be unable to be a valuable contributor? Or are you falling into the fallacy of thinking that only being the best is "valuable"?

Well, it's common sense really:
    • Why would people swap out their ships for the new series, when what they have is just as effective as the new ones? No purchases, no money.
    • Also, they've put a TRIBBLE-load of work into these new ships... If you were a designer, didn you want to see your work being used?
    • It's the cryptic way, to make next gen superior to existing gear (past has proven this time and again).

One way to ensure people will feel compelled to buy the new ships: Make them vastly superior to the existing ones...

So while of cause your, somewhat misguided, attempted sarcasm is right: I have not seen the stats for the new ships, learning from the past lets me make an educated guess about the future...

And yes... I'd be happy as f*** to be wrong.
    mrtshead wrote: »
    Also, please explain why it is bad for Cryptic to want to offer you a ship that you like more than your current ship, so that you are willing to pay money for it?

Past has also taught me, that people who ask that question, is not open to analyze the answer with an open mind.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    blahhdrey wrote: »

This exactly.

I've not claimed to know there is a dent in ship sales. However, I can see how very easily there would be one.

Thus the thread, I wanted to see if I were the only one to question the wisdom of any endgame purchases until X2 is out.
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I was planning to get s Tempest and Ar'rif Warbird Carrier Retrofit. After the announcement heck no.

Ill get dilthium, marks, and contraband. Wait to get the live specs of new ship s after they are nerfed.

Then I will decide what to do. Might be able to grab 2 or 3 ships at no cost. So its a definite save.
  • johnchrightonjohnchrighton Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    I am not buying a 150 dollar pack (go to hell Legacy) just to continue playing my ships. I will pay $5-10 for a FULL UPGRADE to Tier 6 per ship!

My thoughts exactly, also selling full tier six upgrades world be a good source of revenue. After all some of might be rather fond of our tier five ships, I know I am.
    Headlong into mystery
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Currently there is nothing on my list to buy. The last set of mirror ships did well on what I was wanting.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.