test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Independence for all Romulans!

romulanforcesromulanforces Member Posts: 41 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Romulan Discussion
This is as much a request as well as a well deserved right for all Romulan faction players.

We have been forced to choose an ally being either Fed or KDF. This may have been the easier option to get the Romulans into STO - and I am appreciative that Romulans became playable at all. For me, it doesn't fit well having Romulans fighting against each of the allies from within them and really against each other (with exception to the Tal Shiar). We do not need to lose loyal Republicans to the Feds & KDF's tiffs.

Now that the Federation & Klingon Empire have patched up relations in the "New Accord", it is time to stand on our own two feet.

Therefore, I propose that all loyal Republicans return to their new home planet, and that the Romulan/ Reman's become a full faction on their own. We now have the ships we need to defend the republic, we are also in good steed with both the Feds & KDF. Why can we not stand as one full faction now. The episode before the "New Accord" saw the Republic, Feds, & KDF arguing against each other to stake their own claim on the Dyson Sphere. This is also evidence enough that the Republic feels strong enough now to stand on it's own two feet.

Please allow us independence! Or do we need a Boston Raktajino Party?!!

* please also give us Garidians & our own Fleet Starbase.
RomulanCapital2154.jpg
Post edited by romulanforces on

Comments

• Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    One simple little phrase ... Red vs Blue ...

This is Cryptic s, woefully outdated, mantra ... The don't believe a Red vs Blue vs Green can work.

You also must remember that for a new single player, the war isn't over, it only ends now when you reach ~ lvl 50, so short of rewriting every mission in STO, it's difficult to implement.

As far as new Romulan Assets go ... They haven't shown any interest in adding Romulan specific Fleet holdings or assets, so unless Expansion 2 is going to be called the RoR *Resurrection of Romulus) I can't see it happening.

As much as I, amongst many, many others would like it ...
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited July 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Giving up all those goodies you get from choosing an ally? Free consoles, fully built starbases and co...

Nah, I can really go without Independence for that ;)
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Sorry to say cant see it happening i love the rom story only missions and would like more. Bit rom only bases i cant see them building because they moved on to changing stufg thats not broken.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would like the option to ditch the faction choice. In exchange for not choosing a side, the player would be able to aquire Fleet refits WITHOUT joining a fleet. Free consoles in exchange for automatic Fleet refits (at the cost of fleet modules and not fleet credits)? That seems a fair trade.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    davidwford wrote: »
    I would like the option to ditch the faction choice. In exchange for not choosing a side, the player would be able to aquire Fleet refits WITHOUT joining a fleet. Free consoles in exchange for automatic Fleet refits (at the cost of fleet modules and not fleet credits)? That seems a fair trade.

This actually makes sense to a degree.

When you choose whose shackles you will wear. All you are doing is deciding who you will slave for but never be part of. If you gave a third option there of joining neither side what missions change? What mission is exclusively for kdf/roms? Fed/roms? None you follow the same mission arc with barely a sentence changed to show your alliegance.
    So choose neither. You get no Fed or kdf ships & consoles. But you are republic only.
    You get to form your own fleets. Build them yourselves and reap the benefits for you.
    Not work for them so they can have the fruits of your labours while sneering at you that you are not a Klingon or not federation.
    For the Omega rep give the republican raptors. Our own unique set of omega gear. For the rest there is no need for a change since they are not faction styled.
    Give us this and I would delete my fed/roms and kdf/roms for a true romulan legacy.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This again?
  • Options
    janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You know it shall never happen...

In-game handle @Janetza
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    This again?

Why yes this again. The lack of a FLEET uniform is a latest example of how being joined at the hip to another faction is pointless.
    The storylines do not diverge only what optional costume you get to wear. And you did not even get the pictured Fed-rom skirt.

There are short comings, and till they are addressed this will keep coming up. My suggestion for the third option would be the least amount of rework and please a good portion of the fans.

@taut0u,
    I wish to say, never say never. Two years ago they said the kdf will never start at level 1. There will never be a romulan faction. Never is a simple dismissive statement that can and has been proven wrong.
    I will keep trying to put forward suggestions and positive reinforcement of ideas that can make people happy and improve a good game. The Devs work hard, they give a good product but sometimes can miss for some of their playerbase. These never happen ideas may be what is needed as a suggestion so never becomes 'eventually'.

• Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This again?

We needed something with a "Romulan Flavour" added to the dead horse thread ... :D
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    We needed something with a "Romulan Flavour" added to the dead horse thread ... :D
    We already do. The mods specifically banned 'Tovan Khev' threads already.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    davidwford wrote: »

Surely you jest.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    protogoth wrote: »
    Surely you jest.

I am not. In exchange for not being able to join a fleet or have "allied faction perks" (whatever those are besides the c-store consoles is beyond me) the Republic/Empire characters would have immediate access to Fleet Refits on attaining level cap. The only cost would be in fleet modules. True, players would also loose access to fleet gear, but that is something I am willing to accept.
  • Options
    bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'd give up allied ships and consoles to move my romulan to a full Romulan Faction.

It is not that hard to max out a starbase and holdings when you have a massive fleet, and I'm assuming that there would be a fair few massive romulan fleets.

Planetside 2 runs a three faction system - War on three fronts, so much moire fun compared to war on one front.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'd give up allied ships and consoles to move my romulan to a full Romulan Faction.

It is not that hard to max out a starbase and holdings when you have a massive fleet, and I'm assuming that there would be a fair few massive romulan fleets.

Planetside 2 runs a three faction system - War on three fronts, so much moire fun compared to war on one front.

I would not. Nor do I think that ending the alliances is necessary for full faction status. I think what should be done is make UFP, KDF, and RRF into independent factions, and let persons of any species choose their own allegiance between the three. Naturally, ships and gear already obtained would remain, but KHG might take on a more Romulan look in an RRF faction, as might the Aegis set, and various other nifty goodies. I will keep my Koro't'inga Retrofit skinned as a Romulan D7, thank you, unless I can trade it for a T5 V-11 Stormbird with the Raptor on the bottom.
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    My alliance doesn't affect my Romulan experience in any way. How would it affect yours?

Here's the thing about playing as a romulan. Sure, you get unique ships and abilities, and even your own storyline for a time. The key phrase here is 'for a time'. Basically, after you select a side to join, you start playing through missions you've already played through as a fed or Klingon. That's insanely boring. At the same time, you gain access to most of your factions ships and equipment, but the other factions have no access to romulan ships. And as if that isnt bad enough, romulan boffs will not join or train officers and crews of the other factions. So it seems to me that they should indeed just be their own faction.

While I was happy to have the chance to captain one of the coolest ships in Star Trek (the D'Deridex), I ultimately ended up deleting my romulan character before I even finished it. I had played through the missions 3 previous times, and had no desire to do it yet again. If the romulan faction was a completely separate one, like the current story suggests, then there would be entirely new missions and new surprises.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    Here's the thing about playing as a romulan. Sure, you get unique ships and abilities, and even your own storyline for a time. The key phrase here is 'for a time'. Basically, after you select a side to join, you start playing through missions you've already played through as a fed or Klingon. That's insanely boring. At the same time, you gain access to most of your factions ships and equipment, but the other factions have no access to romulan ships. And as if that isnt bad enough, romulan boffs will not join or train officers and crews of the other factions. So it seems to me that they should indeed just be their own faction.

While I was happy to have the chance to captain one of the coolest ships in Star Trek (the D'Deridex), I ultimately ended up deleting my romulan character before I even finished it. I had played through the missions 3 previous times, and had no desire to do it yet again. If the romulan faction was a completely separate one, like the current story suggests, then there would be entirely new missions and new surprises.
    Well, yeah, some of those missions are part of the overall STO storyline - especially the FE's. Even the Romulans would be affected by a few of those... and btw, it's after the halfway mark, not directly after choosing a side.

Besides, the attachment literally does not matter storywise; D'Tan specifically states that no matter where we go, what we choose, we are Romulans. Plus, the Romulan people + empire aren't what they used to be, no two ways about it, and they need support. That's good enough for me imo

Would I be against a full Romulan-only experience? No; I simply see nothing wrong with the current arrangement, because it makes sense on a number of levels (especially as a starting point)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I'd gladly trade all of the 'allegiance' perks for a full, well-developed faction (or at least as well-developed as the KDF). IMHO the 'perks' aren't fair for either the Republic or their allies. Republic players get to see their faction padded out with KDF and Federation content in lieu of actual Romulan content. Meanwhile KDF and Federation players get to see the Republic get almost all of their toys with virtually no tradeoff content-wise: as a republic player you get access to all of your allied consoles, doffs, boffs, duty officer missions, and almost all of their ships, while the KDF/Federation don't get the reverse luxury.

As is, the Republic acts more as a 'Deluxe' Federation/KDF faction than an actual Romulan faction IMO. We get most of the KDF/Fed content and a little more, to a 'net positive' over what pure KDF/Fed players get-but have less 'Romulan' content than there is Federation/KDF content (Romulan content padded out with KDF and Fed content)

Not even going near the issue of the storyline converging (which is sadly the direction the Fed and KDF episodes have been going for some time as well)
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would gladly give up the Fed/Kdf fleet drivel. to be able to truly be like the Fed and Kdf in terms of truly being independent from them. Look at things another way, If Federation players were told they had to choose to join the Romulans or the Klingons there would be riots, and if Klingon players were told they could only join with the Federation or the Romulans, again there would be bloody murder.

It comes down to fairness.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Nope. I'm sticking to the Federation.

Although I wouldn't mind an independence option for those who want it.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    feiqa wrote: »
    @taut0u,
    I wish to say, never say never. Two years ago they said the kdf will never start at level 1. There will never be a romulan faction. Never is a simple dismissive statement that can and has been proven wrong.
    I will keep trying to put forward suggestions and positive reinforcement of ideas that can make people happy and improve a good game. The Devs work hard, they give a good product but sometimes can miss for some of their playerbase. These never happen ideas may be what is needed as a suggestion so never becomes 'eventually'.

Well, knowing Cryptic it is easy to predict future. Turning romulans into separate faction from a sub-fraction would cause players to lose their assets as you can have everything your faction has.(ships, gear, doffs, etc.) Cryptic won't take from player what they have. By the way they have made romulans they have not left a way back.

Also, there is no point for them to make a full faction. How can you make money off of it? If you like romulans you can become one already. To make romulans a full faction would require a lot of planing and developing which can not pay back. If any new factions shall be made in STO they shall be made by romulan sub-fraction scheme.

Don't think I am against of independence. It would be great. As you say, who knows. Maybe we shall save Donatra from borg, she shall become empress again. Shall boot D'tan with his friends to Vulcan and rebuild our Star Empire as a full faction.)

In-game handle @Janetza
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    taut0u wrote: »
    Well, knowing Cryptic it is easy to predict future. Turning romulans into separate faction from a sub-fraction would cause players to lose their assets as you can have everything your faction has.(ships, gear, doffs, etc.) Cryptic won't take from player what they have. By the way they have made romulans they have not left a way back.

Also, there is no point for them to make a full faction. How can you make money off of it? If you like romulans you can become one already. To make romulans a full faction would require a lot of planing and developing which can not pay back. If any new factions shall be made in STO they shall be made by romulan sub-fraction scheme.

Don't think I am against of independence. It would be great. As you say, who knows. Maybe we shall save Donatra from borg, she shall become empress again. Shall boot D'tan with his friends to Vulcan and rebuild our Star Empire as a full faction.)

The answer is the trope. Take a third option. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TakeAThirdOption)
    And by that use the suggestion made earlier. Go back to the choose your alliegance and put in the option to remain neutral. You get no fed or kdf uniform. No bridge officers, no ships or consoles save what you unlock from lock boxes. Missions run the same regardless of alliegance so just have one of D'tan's aides be the intelligence contact and you are good there. Need backup for Charva's friends? No fed or kdf, just the RR.
    Least amount of new code at all.
    What players gain: Ability to build their own pure romulan fleets, romulan ships, and romulan fleet uniforms. With romulan elite fleet weapons.
    How does this make money? No one already has a romulan base built so all that dillithium and effort has to be spent again.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    You get no fed or kdf uniform. No bridge officers, no ships or consoles save what you unlock from lock boxes.

Which means players loose things they have. You can not take things from players because it is an easy way to TRIBBLE them off. Even when players have received things they are not supposed to have, developer fixes it, but don't take those things from players who had it. You have to make an option which shall keep player items and make it possible to be independent.
    Imagine I have a character with all fed Tier 1-4 ships in my roster and full caitian crew. What shall happen to such a character if romulans turn into independent faction?

People are unhappy about having grind. Look at complaints about current fleet holdings, reputations, new crafting system. Starbase grind is past. Dev's shall make new ways to gring, but new ones.
    Not many shall regrind starbases. Some shall indeed, but far not all. Especially, small fleets are struggling with current starbases and won't be able to start one more.
    They could make an option for the fleet admirals which would turn current fed/kdf fleet into romulan or simply copy it stats and unlocks into new romulan, so no need regrind.

What really annoying is a USS/IKS ship prefixes available on all romulan ships. Some players even use them. lmao But only few have IRW option...

Developers won't wright a single line of code if it is not a profit source. If you would examine this question more attentively you would notice how many bugs which are seemingly easy to fix are still there. (Rename Token, Ship Loadouts, etc.)

Romulans do indeed look like an almost full faction. What lacks are faction specific doff's. But even KDF doesn't have much of them. (Marion Dulmur, Zemok, Hamlet, etc.)If you look at new doff's they are exectly same. Same name, picture, abilities. Only background picture is faction specific.

Reason to make romulans as sub-fraction is easy. No new lvl 0 romulan fleets (to not TRIBBLE of those who have built their kdf/fed starbases), to give fed/kdf specific gear(no need to make more of new things), PvP queue's (Red against Blue, sry but you better send a link about third option to Cryptic, they know only two).

If to speak about Republic... well, I would rather see it as a miserable sub-fraction. I belong to Empire, so all this republican stuff is not about me anyways. ^^

In-game handle @Janetza
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I don't think it would be as much of a 'problem' if players were not able to get ahold of all that KDF/Federation benefits. There have been 'imited time' thingies many times in the past, and I remember Cryptic removing the KDF and fed EV suits and making them vet rewards. They never removed those items for those who had acquired them in that timeframe.

My Romulan character even has the fed EV suit, Cryptic didn't remove them when they made them fed exclusive. I think a similar solution wouldn't be too far fetched if Cryptic ever decided to make Romulans truly independent.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    taut0u wrote: »
    Which means players loose things they have. You can not take things from players because it is an easy way to TRIBBLE them off. Even when players have received things they are not supposed to have, developer fixes it, but don't take those things from players who had it. You have to make an option which shall keep player items and make it possible to be independent.
    Imagine I have a character with all fed Tier 1-4 ships in my roster and full caitian crew. What shall happen to such a character if romulans turn into independent faction?

People are unhappy about having grind. Look at complaints about current fleet holdings, reputations, new crafting system. Starbase grind is past. Dev's shall make new ways to gring, but new ones.
    Not many shall regrind starbases. Some shall indeed, but far not all. Especially, small fleets are struggling with current starbases and won't be able to start one more.
    They could make an option for the fleet admirals which would turn current fed/kdf fleet into romulan or simply copy it stats and unlocks into new romulan, so no need regrind.

What really annoying is a USS/IKS ship prefixes available on all romulan ships. Some players even use them. lmao But only few have IRW option...

Developers won't wright a single line of code if it is not a profit source. If you would examine this question more attentively you would notice how many bugs which are seemingly easy to fix are still there. (Rename Token, Ship Loadouts, etc.)

Romulans do indeed look like an almost full faction. What lacks are faction specific doff's. But even KDF doesn't have much of them. (Marion Dulmur, Zemok, Hamlet, etc.)If you look at new doff's they are exectly same. Same name, picture, abilities. Only background picture is faction specific.

Reason to make romulans as sub-fraction is easy. No new lvl 0 romulan fleets (to not TRIBBLE of those who have built their kdf/fed starbases), to give fed/kdf specific gear(no need to make more of new things), PvP queue's (Red against Blue, sry but you better send a link about third option to Cryptic, they know only two).

If to speak about Republic... well, I would rather see it as a miserable sub-fraction. I belong to Empire, so all this republican stuff is not about me anyways. ^^

See as much as I wish we could choose to side with the empire or the republic we both see it as set in stone at this point. My point on a third option is not to take away from existing characters. But to give a new option to new ones.
    So if Peter wants to be a fed-rom he is.
    Paul can play a kdf-rom.
    But mary has the option to be just Romulan.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    See as much as I wish we could choose to side with the empire or the republic we both see it as set in stone at this point. My point on a third option is not to take away from existing characters. But to give a new option to new ones.
    So if Peter wants to be a fed-rom he is.
    Paul can play a kdf-rom.
    But mary has the option to be just Romulan.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    cheesebasketcheesebasket Member Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Silence Romulan labor force...

And get back to work in the KDF/UFP dilithium mines...we need that dilithium to make ships for the war that ends when players reach "A new Accord"

independant faction nonsense...cryptic just wants your moneys, And the 2 real factions want their free *work for us because you like our ideals* labor

You even get charge'd dil to use one of your chosen faction's ships xD
    The hamster will RULE ALLL....

Mwahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    alyciatalalyciatal Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I love this kind of enthusiasm and of course I agree, romulan brother!

It may happen a long time in the future, but, if the story has to advance, there will be necessity for more conflicts (during or after the one announced with the Iconians) and occasions to experiment what too often is called "the spirit of ST": the path they choose to put us Romulans, if of course this game will want to offer something to attract new players and keep faithful old ones, leads inevitably to indipendence.
    And so Empire/Republic reconstruction must happen: it opens so much great narrative options, just ready to explore.

That's one of the reason why I have accepted the compromise to play in this timeline and why I think it's the natural step after having so greatly recreated the settings and the lifestyle of the Romulans: how great was the Romulan city on Brea III during "Cutting the Cord"?
    That is were I want my Tal'exa to live, given the time to build all of this.

As a matter of fact, I didn't exclude some new temporal missions that could restore Romulus itself!

Jolan Tru^^
  • Options
    taiemetaieme Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Time for a "Romulan Maquis". A romulan resistance within the romulan republic. Affiliated, but openly "against".

Maybe with some benefits of the Fed, but with some others taken away and replaced with some "specials". Sure you could say make an own fleet. But that's not all there is to it. There would have to be resistance-specific content. Maybe stuff or weapons you can use, but come with a chance that an ally turns against you when exposed in the wrong setting. And an ability for Resistance-members to identify each other without non-resistance players openly taking notice (whereas the fleet shows up for everybody).

I guess that would not be too difficult to make, and could be some decent story, natural to the romulan temper.

Best wishes
    Lyretha