test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Say something positive about: Voyager

Comments

• marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    And the less said about Neelix, the better; not only is he a pathological liar whose cooking endangers the entire ship and sickens multiple crew members on multiple occasions, his entire kitchen is one giant health and safety hazard, and would be even if he were NOT on a moving starship, but worst of all, he's a clown. And a bad clown at that.

I'd substitute 'cooking' with 'behaviour'... Neelix's behaviour actually lead to deaths when the Kazon kicked everyone off the ship and they were stranded... Infect, I think in most situations where Neelix decided to call himself 'an expert' or to have 'an interest' in something, it lead to Bad Things happening to those around him... I think the only instance I can think of where his 'knowledge' translated, was in Rise, and he was able to transfer his knowledge of model tethers to the real thing by scaling it up. In that instance, he actually knew what he was talking about (in so much as anyone who has studied a subject knows what they're talking about, but that First Day on the job, will still throw them curveballs) and wasn't actually responsible for anyone's deaths.

As a side note, in that episode, it was nice to actually see him stand up to Tuvok and call him on his standoffishness, as other episodes did show that Neelix genuinely did respect Tuvok, and only wanted the same in return...
  • syndonaisyndonai Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I liked the theme tune, back then.
    PKsymbol.JPG

Peacekeeper High Command
    Scorpius - Zelbinion Mk II
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Except for possibly "Trials and Tribble-ations", was there any episode of any Trek series that was more fun to watch than "Bride of Chaotica!"? I really wish Cryptic would introduce some Captain Proton stuff to STO.
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    variant37 wrote: »
    I really wish Cryptic would introduce some Captain Proton stuff to STO.

What about Murader Mo for my Ferengi?
    Or how about Worf fighting for my Jem'Hadar? Captain Proton is only for Hew-Mons.:P
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    captain proton, hmm, no. chaotica's blustering and that proton secratary screaming each time a person wonders into the holodeck in multicolors? that will get old fast.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Good stuff only?

Species 8472.

The soundtrack to Scorpion.

The EMH. Just all round awesomness in every scene.

The philisophical debates between Janeway and Seven. Seriously, those scenes made the show for me. My liking for Voyager jumped right up when they started doing that.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I like the Voyager of all Trek series the most, simply it was easy for me to relate to some of the characters easily - as well as seeing more Trek lore in whole series, along with more character development. There were some things I'd want done differently, but overall, loved it, finished watching it and started re-watching almost immediatelly. Haters burn in Gre'thor. :D
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Good stuff about Voyager? Three off the top of my head.

IMO some of Star Treks best two part stories.

Year of Hell was fantastic, as were many of the other two parters.

Voyager herself. a beautiful starship.

And, as others have said, the EMH. A genuinely interesting and engaging character, wonderfully played.
  • captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The show is over.

that is positive.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    "Message In A Bottle"
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    the Captain Proton stuff was awesome! It was hilarious. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It made me appreciate the other captains and the other series more? :D
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Voyager herself is probably one of my favourite Trek ships of all time (but that's a very long list).

As mentioned, the Doctor was probably one of the show's best characters (and my favourite) who was excellently cast. He also played Woolsey in SGA, where he was excellent as well.

Finally, Seven of Nine, but not for the reasons you'd expect.

I'm a sucker for characters like her and Data who are trying to find their humanity; Data trying to learn what it is to be human from scratch, and Seven trying to relearn after her assimilation. I also loved the mentor-mentee relationship between her and Janeway and her and Tuvok, particularly in Omega and the Tsunkatse episodes respectively.

I think in Voyager's later seasons, even if only to a little extent, they remembered the point of Trek; to explore these philosophical dilemmas that we contend with every day (for the same reason, Measure of a Man is my favourite episode of TNG). Like Enterprise, Voyager hit its stride very late, but unlike Enterprise, Voyager had the chance to get moving.

Is it the best Star Trek Series? God, no. In fact, I'd rate it the worst (discounting TOS), but that by no means makes it bad. Maybe disappointing coming off TNG? Yes. Disappointing in its later series after DS9? Probably not, but considering the hate I've seen for DS9, it depends on your preference.

My point is, I like Voyager - I appreciate the story they were trying to tell, I enjoy the stories they did, and I admire the risks they took.

That being said. WHAT - THE - ZOD - did they do to the Borg?!

I can some up my feelings for this in one word: http://youtu.be/pVsMcCsUaq4 :P
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I'd entirely forgotten about that stuff.

Truly wonderful shows.

I'd so love to see some Captain Proton styled content in game.
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Voyager was all right, I didn't hate it, but I always thought that it fell into the trap of the episode reset button. By which I mean, at the end of the episode everything got reset. Now that makes a certain amount of sense with DS9, and TNG, and TOS even, all of those shows took place near the Federation, so it makes sense that the ships can be fixed, crewmen replaced, stores restocked.

But they made this huge deal out of Voyager being all alone, then they would shoot it up, and the next episode everything is back to normal. What did they do, stop by an asteroid to strip mine and spend a week fabricating new parts? No wonder it was going to take them so long to get back home. I really wish that the whole series was like Year of Hell, that was one thing I liked about Voyager. But no, even in the middle of nowhere, the Federation has to be shiny.

Anyway, sorry, rant over. Other things I liked. The character Seven of Nine and her relationships with Janeway, the Doctor, and Naomi. The Doctor. Naomi sometimes, and the other young Borg kids who managed to avoid the Wesley trap (Icheb did not). Janeway, sometimes.

Oh, and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZhy6IC9iFs (sorry, couldn't find a better quality on short notice)

In particular the first bit with the tachyon beam.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Seven would have been so much better in a uniform, or lasting longer in her Borg costume (maybe take more and more off each series), I don't see the attraction in a garment that makes you pass out when sitting down :rolleyes:.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    I don't see the attraction in a garment that makes you pass out when sitting down :rolleyes:.

Well simply put, it "highlights" everything;).
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
    edited July 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    Seven would have been so much better in a uniform, or lasting longer in her Borg costume (maybe take more and more off each series), I don't see the attraction in a garment that makes you pass out when sitting down :rolleyes:.
    Personally I wonder why they didn't use Borg stuff more. Seven knew how to use it safely at least in small doses. why not teach Torres?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I loved this exchange between Janeway and Paris:

Janeway: Let me get this straight. Trans-dimensional aliens have mistaken your Captain Proton simulation for reality?

Paris: Yes, ma'am.

Janeway: And now an armed conflict has broken out between these aliens and Chaotica's holographic army?

Paris: Yes, ma'am. His Army of Evil.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,437 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Voyager did have its moments.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Let's see. There's Robert Picardo as the Doctor and ... drawing a blank here.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Picardo was great. And some of my favorite episodes of Trek are Voyager episodes like "Critical Care," the Q who wants to die, etc. Even if I would rate the overall show very low, it had good moments.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    "Counterpoint" was a good episode. I think that one showed Janeway at her best.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    malkarris wrote: »
    Oh, and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZhy6IC9iFs (sorry, couldn't find a better quality on short notice)

In particular the first bit with the tachyon beam.

Oh, been a while since i last saw that. The Tuvok 'dying' part is just priceless. :D
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    "Lineage" is probably one of my favorite episodes. It tackles the real-world issue of 'designer genes', while showcasing the poorly-written (as anyone else in the cast) B'Elanna Torres and her personal issues with being a klingon-human hybrid.

What became a simple genetic alteration to correct a malformed spine in her fetus, turned into a controversial episode that continues a topic started in "Space Seed" and continued on in the Bashir episodes of DS9.

You see Torres pushing her own issues on her unborn child, by wanting all klingon DNA removed from it so it would not have to deal with the bullying she grew up with. You see Tom Paris ask Tuvok for parenting advice (and honestly everything is funnier when a vulcan is involved).

It asks the questions of what is 'medically necessary', and what is 'preventative medicine', along with issues such as 'What is normal?' (Tolian Soran says Normal is what everyone else is and you are not.).

Also... Year of Hell. Two episodes which should have been all seven seasons of Voyager.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Also... Year of Hell. Two episodes which should have been all seven seasons of Voyager.

This.

/10char
    edited July 2014
    "Lineage" is probably one of my favorite episodes. It tackles the real-world issue of 'designer genes', while showcasing the poorly-written (as anyone else in the cast) B'Elanna Torres and her personal issues with being a klingon-human hybrid.

What became a simple genetic alteration to correct a malformed spine in her fetus, turned into a controversial episode that continues a topic started in "Space Seed" and continued on in the Bashir episodes of DS9.

You see Torres pushing her own issues on her unborn child, by wanting all klingon DNA removed from it so it would not have to deal with the bullying she grew up with. You see Tom Paris ask Tuvok for parenting advice (and honestly everything is funnier when a vulcan is involved).

It asks the questions of what is 'medically necessary', and what is 'preventative medicine', along with issues such as 'What is normal?' (Tolian Soran says Normal is what everyone else is and you are not.).

Yeah, normalcy is overrated. In a truly "tolerant" society people wouldn't care.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • seseronseseron Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It was the game Elite Force that got me checking out Voyager. I was burned out on Star Trek in the middle of DS9's run, and had other interests at the time, so I missed the start of Voyager. Upon looking into the show, I caught the episode "Prey" and was instantly hooked, and watched every episode after to the end.

I did manage to go back and catch up on what I did miss, including DS9's episodes. There were some issues with the earlier seasons of Voyager, I do admit, mostly due to some less than quality writing. But I enjoyed the show and thought it got better as it went on.

I love the episodes "Night" and "Drone." I've watched both of them probably 25 times, lol. And they don't get old. I love Harry Kim's Echoes of the Void. "Hunters" and "Prey" follow pretty close. The Hirogen were described as having no center of morality, but eventually evolved philosophically due to their interactions with Voyager.
    rottorung02.png
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, normalcy is overrated. In a truly "tolerant" society people wouldn't care.

I think that's what made "Lineage" such a great and underrated episode. It was more character-defining for B'Elanna than any other episode, I think.

And it showed that future society in the Federation isn't as "tolerant" as we're led to believe, and that family problems and issues with bullying and whatnot are still as prevalent then as they are today.

Speaking of family issues...

I'll add "Real Life" as another positive episode of Voyager. Most of the Doctor-centric episodes were good.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'll add "Real Life" as another positive episode of Voyager. Most of the Doctor-centric episodes were good.

"Latent Image" - an ethical nightmare for the doctors programming. :P
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.