test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cardassians? Playable Faction? Lets Not!

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
It's no secret that when the Romulans were announced, everyone was expecting them to be their own independent faction, regardless of whether the faction was the Star Empire, Tal Shiar or Republic. That obviously didn't happen.

The fallout of that decision? The Republic is still, in my opinion, suffering with a lack of content. I'd say they're the new KDF, but I'm not quite sure that's true. The only outstanding benefit that Republic players have is their space traits.

When playing as a Romulan (or Reman);
  • We have no unique Fleet Starbase
  • We have no unique Fleet Weapons (I could look pass this cause we've the Rom Rep Plasma)
  • We are limited in playable species choices (even though I]I may be mistaken here, but[/I I thought we were, at one point, suppose to be getting both the Suliban and Acamarian?)
  • We don't have access to a Fleet Starbase Uniform, even with them being readdressed as we speak, the Republic is seemingly being left out
  • We have the shortest campaign (yet, it is the most unique)
  • We have the smallest fleet (something that could easily be enlarged with the inclusion of the Suliban and Acamarian)
  • We have a shared Duty Officer System, and have no way of claiming pure Republic Doffs, might be considered insignificant to some, but I would expect some players are ... fussy about this sort of thing
  • We have to travel all the way to Earth (or Qo'nos) daily if we wish to attain a data file for accolades (as insignificant as it may be)
  • We have Republic Bridge Officers that are indistinguishable between factions; it doesn't show it, nor state it anywhere, but Republic Boffs are actually coded to the FED or KDF faction, and if you purchase the wrong one, you can't equip them with the costumes you might want.

Now, I do not, nor can I speak for everyone else, but I don't want this for the Cardassian. In my opinion it would be another half assed job. Don't get me wrong (@Devs); I understand why you have taken the route you did with the Republic, though I don't agree with it (especially since it's no longer Red vs Blue; the war is over). I would much rather playable Cardassian tokens go into C-Store for the existing factions at a higher price than normal, with a Keldon Retrofit (included in price) at Level #50.

Whatever story you might have to tell as far as Cardassia is concerned can be done via a FE Series (maybe even reward a unique Vorta Boff that you can customize). I wouldn't say you need to create another mini faction for it.

@community, please feel free to agree, or disagree with this. :)
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
Post edited by flash525 on

Comments

• Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If they do add more factions like the Cardassians, I see them as a quarter factions. Not as half faction like the Romulans.

For an example with the Cardassians. At best I expect to start off at Cardassia Prime and us being sent after the True Way in some tutorial arc. After the arc is complete, we have the choice of joining the Federation or the KDF. But the Cardassians don't get a fleshed out storyline like the Romulans, nor unique privileges.
  • Options
    valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yet... i would still take them.
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    stumpfgobsstumpfgobs Member Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I actually do like the way they did the romulans. Sure it would be interesting to see them as a fully seperate 3rd faction but that won't work - 2 factions was too much already, just look at the kdf.

I would actually prefer if they would unify the romulans more. Make the faction selection between kdf and fed temporary until lvl 50 and then give them access to both the rom kdf and the rom fed costumes and ships. Let them pick their fleet from both fed and kdf freely.

Let kdf players join fed fleets too - either after that mission with the cease-fire, at lvl 50 or right away from the start. And let fed players join kdf fleets too.

The result would be that players, no matter if they are kdf, rom or fed, play with their fleet buddies and the playerbase would not be split by some artificial faction system. Factions would still be different (ships, costumes, etc).

With all that in mind, more new factions could be added without risk of fragmenting the playerbase too much. It would cause players to pick what they really like to play and things like "uh, we'll have to do all the fleet stuff again" and "meh, my friends all play fed" would be a thing of the past. Romulans, kdf and pretty much all future factions would see more players and with the metrics backing that up, they would get more ships, costumes etc. too.
  • Options
    woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    valenn1 wrote: »
    Yet... I would still take them.

Me too.

Concerning other species in the Romulan Republic - it's too bad we don't have the Suliban and can't even make them from the Alien Gen.
    Leipzig University, 1409-2409
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm all for a playable Cardassian Half Faction.

It's content we know they can create. And it'll be fun. What could possibly go wrong?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    What could possibly go wrong?
    It's not things going wrong that concerns me, it's things not working correctly in the first place. :)

...working correctly being a matter of opinion though I suppose...
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As long as the Cardies don't come with a "Vehk Navot" BOFF, I'm all for one coming out.
  • Options
    mosquito214mosquito214 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    • We have no unique Fleet Weapons (I could look pass this cause we've the Rom Rep Plasma) Having Romulans join allied fleets was for convenience, really. Fewer people would have made Romulans if they had to start fleets all over again. Story-wise, the Republic just isn't in good enough shape to have a bunch of starbases, yet. However, we saw a Romulan starbase design in the revamped Mirror Event, so who knows, they might be working on this.
    • We are limited in playable species choices (even though I]I may be mistaken here, but[/I I thought we were, at one point, suppose to be getting both the Suliban and Acamarian?) Romulans are somewhat xenophobic, and aren't really "connected" to any other race. The Suliban would be nice, sure, but they get access to the Alien generator, so it doesn't seem like a big deal. In a way, it makes their faction more united. Plus, Cryptic already threw all the other major bad guy races in with the Klingons. Anyway, I'm pretty sure these were just rumors; I'm not sure Cryptic has ever commented on the matter.
    • We don't have access to a Fleet Starbase Uniform, even with them being readdressed as we speak, the Republic is seemingly being left out Romulans already had the most recently-created uniforms; storywise, the Federation/Klingon Ally outfits unlocked when you choose your side would be the Fleet uniform equivalent. That said, a dress uniform would be nice - maybe the Romulan Senate Robes could be used, for now.
    • We have the shortest campaign (yet, it is the most unique) The Romulan campaign is the best-written by far; however, it's by no means the shortest. Not counting tutorial missions, Starfleet has roughly 16 missions unique to them. Klingons have about 17. Romulans have about 18.
    • We have the smallest fleet (something that could easily be enlarged with the inclusion of the Suliban and Acamarian) They did lose their homeworld less than a generation ago. I suppose it depends on whether the Romulans can overcome their racial paranoia. Plus, I know it's well under gameplay-story segregation, but they are managing to churn out improved Scimitars like no one's business. :P
    • We have a shared Duty Officer System, and have no way of claiming pure Republic Doffs, might be considered insignificant to some, but I would expect some players are ... fussy about this sort of thing Yeah, this could be an issue. More ways to get Romulan DOffs would be nice?
    • We have to travel all the way to Earth (or Qo'nos) daily if we wish to attain a data file for accolades (as insignificant as it may be) This is definitely an issue. I'm sure they could find a corner to put the Datachip/Exam contact and console in New Romulus Command.
    • We have Republic Bridge Officers that are indistinguishable between factions; it doesn't show it, nor state it anywhere, but Republic Boffs are actually coded to the FED or KDF faction, and if you purchase the wrong one, you can't equip them with the costumes you might want. Also definitely an issue. Does clicking "Only show usable" work?

Those are the answers I came up with. I'm sure some of them sound like excuses, though; I'm not saying they're the best replies, but it's pretty late, heh.

In the end, I really don't think Cardassians should be another faction, even a "half" one like Romulans. For one thing, all evidence points to them barely being able to support themselves in-universe, to the point that it's revealed in one mission that they're starting preliminary talks about joining the Federation. Plus, look how short it took for Romulans to start complaining about not getting anything. They're still pretty overpowered, but the complaints have begun. People may hate it, but Starfleet is the focus of the game, just like the shows. The majority of players are Federation. I don't think Cryptic needs to split the playerbase even more, just to provide themselves a fourth group to complain about not getting anything.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    As long as the Cardies don't come with a "Vehk Navot" BOFF, I'm all for one coming out.

It'd be awesome. Everyone would want a BOFF that's like Garak. And they'd end up giving you a BOFF way more like Damar.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »

Hmm i been tinkering with the idea of making a khev clone army but a cardi that looks like khev called Vehk Navot is genius i like it.

Now then on topic personally i dont see a cardiassian faction ever happening however id like to see them and the jem'hadar as an unlockable C-Store species id buy both ASAP!!
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would be in support of a Cardassian faction even if it is like it the way the Republic is done. Yes it would be better to have a full faction but, I like the Cardassians and want to play a true Cardassian. That said, the devs have already stated that if another faction comes, it is a long ways off.
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Didnt they already state, that neither the cardis nor the dominion are coming, since their ships are already open for anyone?
    Same doesnt apply to the Adapted Tal shiar ships, as they fit the storyline, but dont concern the prime universe (e.g. real Star Trek), but only the trash-scifi Film off JJA. Nobody in there right mind would call those ships romulan, they are simply not in one (iconic) league with either the DDeridex nor the reman Scimitar.

They look pretty much like recycled trash compared to real romulan ships.
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    woodwhity wrote: »
    Didnt they already state, that neither the cardis nor the dominion are coming, since their ships are already open for anyone?.....

Link please, I wish to read that.

As to the OP comments, I welcome a Cardassian mini faction with open arms, one that is allied with either the KDF or the Federation. I do prefer a full faction, but we know that another full faction will never be introduced in the game due to the player population & their playing habits.

So I say "YES" to a Cardassian minifaction. There are was around the Galor issue, one of them being not offering the vessel at higher ranks, afterall the ship is a Captain level cruiser. So only offer it at Captain rank.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Maybe we could get 3/4 faction.
    now you can
    a) join kdf
    b) join fed

how about
    c) stay neutral

as neutral romulan you cant have fleet base (republic now istn strong enough for - just rebuilding new romulus)
    no PvP - they are neutral.

you can have all reputation since romulans still want to help maintain peace in galaxy. you can have romulan doffs.

more exploration and diplomacy oriented gameplay for free romulans. if you want more action as romulan you just join with fed/kdf
  • Options
    valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    binebane wrote: »
    Maybe we could get 3/4 faction.
    now you can
    a) join kdf
    b) join fed

how about
    c) stay neutral

as neutral romulan you cant have fleet base (republic now istn strong enough for - just rebuilding new romulus)
    no PvP - they are neutral.

you can have all reputation since romulans still want to help maintain peace in galaxy. you can have romulan doffs.

more exploration and diplomacy oriented gameplay for free romulans. if you want more action as romulan you just join with fed/kdf

With.... 3 Free Romulans and 5000+ Man-hours invested? Why not.. lets do it!
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I love the cardassians, my main toon is a cardassian alien with a galor.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the Cardassians too. Garak (along with Shran) are my favourite two Trek characters.

I'm on my 4th Republic character right now, and I'm ready to get rid of him. Each time I make a Republic character, I end up sending them to the trash. Thankfully I've never invested a huge amount of time into any of them (though this latest one does have an Adapted BC, but it was purchased with Energy Credits and I can get those back). Needless to say, I'm not going to be investing in a Cardassian. I'd play one, sure, but for the content. I wouldn't spend Zen on it, nor Dilithium. It's unlikely I'd bother joining a Fleet either.
    For an example with the Cardassians. At best I expect to start off at Cardassia Prime and us being sent after the True Way in some tutorial arc.
    Essentially then, a Cardassian character with their own unique tutorial and themed story missions (10-20 missions) who then join with the Red vs Blue theme?
    stumpfgobs wrote: »
    I would actually prefer if they would unify the romulans more. Make the faction selection between kdf and fed temporary until lvl 50 and then give them access to both the rom kdf and the rom fed costumes and ships. Let them pick their fleet from both fed and kdf freely.
    The problem here is that everyone might as well play a Romulan if, come level #50, they get access to everything. Who bother playing FED or KDF when you can go green and get the best of both?
    stumpfgobs wrote: »
    Let kdf players join fed fleets too - either after that mission with the cease-fire, at lvl 50 or right away from the start. And let fed players join kdf fleets too.

The result would be that players, no matter if they are kdf, rom or fed, play with their fleet buddies and the playerbase would not be split by some artificial faction system. Factions would still be different (ships, costumes, etc).

[snip]
    With this route, you might as well unify all the factions and have just the one. Not necessarily a bad idea, but I don't think it's too likely.
    scififan78 wrote: »
    That said, the devs have already stated that if another faction comes, it is a long ways off.
    I think everyone should take everything the Devs say with a pinch of salt. Because of internal politics (be that Cryptic, PWE or CBS etc) there's nothing to stop a Dev making a promise that they cannot fulfill, as much as they may want to. I don't think they ever outright lie to us, that would be bad business, but it's hardly surprising that ideas and plans change as the game develops, or a pitched idea doesn't work out how it was planned, so it's ditched or put aside for later. I doubt it's all plain sailing.
    woodwhity wrote: »
    Didnt they already state, that neither the cardis nor the dominion are coming, since their ships are already open for anyone?
    I think that's more fan speculation than anything else. The only thing I vividly remember being said is that they regret putting the Galor in a Lock Box, but I don't recall them ever saying they'd not do a Cardassian faction because of that mistake.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It'd be awesome. Everyone would want a BOFF that's like Garak. And they'd end up giving you a BOFF way more like Damar.
    Blasphemy. No one can be like Garak.

Random note: Garak must be the Cardy's level-up voice.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's no secret that when the Romulans were announced, everyone was expecting them to be their own independent faction, regardless of whether the faction was the Star Empire, Tal Shiar or Republic. That obviously didn't happen.

The fallout of that decision? The Republic is still, in my opinion, suffering with a lack of content. I'd say they're the new KDF, but I'm not quite sure that's true. The only outstanding benefit that Republic players have is their space traits.

When playing as a Romulan (or Reman);
    • We have no unique Fleet Weapons (I could look pass this cause we've the Rom Rep Plasma)
    • We are limited in playable species choices (even though I]I may be mistaken here, but[/I I thought we were, at one point, suppose to be getting both the Suliban and Acamarian?)
    • We don't have access to a Fleet Starbase Uniform, even with them being readdressed as we speak, the Republic is seemingly being left out
    • We have the shortest campaign (yet, it is the most unique)
    • We have the smallest fleet (something that could easily be enlarged with the inclusion of the Suliban and Acamarian)
    • We have a shared Duty Officer System, and have no way of claiming pure Republic Doffs, might be considered insignificant to some, but I would expect some players are ... fussy about this sort of thing
    • We have to travel all the way to Earth (or Qo'nos) daily if we wish to attain a data file for accolades (as insignificant as it may be)
    • We have Republic Bridge Officers that are indistinguishable between factions; it doesn't show it, nor state it anywhere, but Republic Boffs are actually coded to the FED or KDF faction, and if you purchase the wrong one, you can't equip them with the costumes you might want.

Now, I do not, nor can I speak for everyone else, but I don't want this for the Cardassian. In my opinion it would be another half assed job. Don't get me wrong (@Devs); I understand why you have taken the route you did with the Republic, though I don't agree with it (especially since it's no longer Red vs Blue; the war is over). I would much rather playable Cardassian tokens go into C-Store for the existing factions at a higher price than normal, with a Keldon Retrofit (included in price) at Level #50.

Whatever story you might have to tell as far as Cardassia is concerned can be done via a FE Series (maybe even reward a unique Vorta Boff that you can customize). I wouldn't say you need to create another mini faction for it.

@community, please feel free to agree, or disagree with this. :)

not signing it off, 1 because petitions are not allowed and 2 i just dont agree with the above.

the romulan campaign is far longer then the kdf or fed campaign.

the species choice was not expressly stated in any shape or form of a promise, the suliban are nomads, the acamarians have their own internal problems to solve. i could never see them ever coming to sto.

and the rest is just small fry. the romulans are in the game and they are represented as such despite the alliance choice.

when the cardassians come, if they come, the chances are as you put it, they will be the same, but so what? the game is missing its 4th powerhouse in the alpha/beta quadrant and people have been screaming for a cardassian faction for years, if not a faction then an independent unlockable race from the z-store like the remans in recent years, and past years with klingons, trill and such..
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    stumpfgobsstumpfgobs Member Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The problem here is that everyone might as well play a Romulan if, come level #50, they get access to everything. Who bother playing FED or KDF when you can go green and get the best of both?

Allowing romulans to get both what federation romulans and kdf romulans get, is hardly everything. I should have written that more explicitly.
  • Options
    binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    valenn1 wrote: »
    With.... 3 Free Romulans and 5000+ Man-hours invested? Why not.. lets do it!
    nobody plays as a undine so no more undine content:confused:
    im sure people would buy new character slots just to have free romulan. and im sore people would spend some more $$$ for their free romulans.
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, the only thing I could possibly add to this thread would be this ...

star-trek-Cardassian-jazz-hands-wave-1353349358m.gif
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would be in full support of a Romulan Republic Starbase and Romulan Fleet Provisions.

While the Romulans have gone the route (storywise) of splitting their forces between the Klingons and Federation. Which by the way actually makes no sense...Klingons nor Feds would ever truely stand for a third party to support both sides. Ive always felt it weird that there wouldnt be a contingent of Romulan Forces reserved for Defense of the Homeworld and its borders.

Im sure there is some implied NPC presence. But Im also sure there are plenty of Romulan Players out there that would love to be a Romulan Only Fleet with a Romulan Starbase to fall back to. I cant see it hurting anything.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    belidos wrote: »
    Well, the only thing I could possibly add to this thread would be this ...

My addition goes:

Obvious attempt at using reverse psychology on the devs is obvious.

Carry on.
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Problem I can see is that the Cardassians, unlike the Romulans, already have a clear alliance with the Federation, and the renegade elements of the True Way hate the Klingons as much as (or more than) the Federation.

From STO's backstory, the Federation treated the Cardassians pretty well after the Dominion War where the Klingons were predictably brutal.

I could see the Cardassians working as a playable sub-faction of the Federation - getting a different set of starter missions before going on to the "joint" content later - but even then the elephant in the room is that the iconic Cardassian ship, the Galor, is already lockboxed.
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We could have 2 defect FE missions. 1 for each Faction. That way after a year of playing a Fed or Klingon. You could do the mission and defect to the other faction. After a Long FE mission explaining your defect you could then join a Fleet and start building Fleet rep for the factions fleet ships. Be a good way for cryptic to sell ship slots and a ton of other stuff.

Just to be able to defect without a mission or some type of trial would make it boring. The option to switch sides should come with consiqences also. It should not be a "have your cake and eat it to" faction switch. I think it could work.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    staq16 wrote: »
    Problem I can see is that the Cardassians, unlike the Romulans, already have a clear alliance with the Federation, and the renegade elements of the True Way hate the Klingons as much as (or more than) the Federation.

From STO's backstory, the Federation treated the Cardassians pretty well after the Dominion War where the Klingons were predictably brutal.

I could see the Cardassians working as a playable sub-faction of the Federation - getting a different set of starter missions before going on to the "joint" content later - but even then the elephant in the room is that the iconic Cardassian ship, the Galor, is already lockboxed.

thats not an issue as the lock box galor is a relic, keep it as such and the same with the true way armada, just balance it out a bit. bring in some new cardassian mainline cruiser.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    staq16 wrote: »

Then open up the Gorn to being a playable sub-faction of the Klingons. I remember right before going F2P there was a lot of talk about creating the Gorn homeworld and using it as one of the planets the Borg would 'invade' much like Defera.

Giving the Gorn some individuality that would let them stick out in the ranks of the Empire. Well stick out more besides the fact theyre giant reptiles.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There is nothing wrong about how the Romulans were handled. They gain more from having to choose an ally than they lose. And lets face it, Romulans would be another KDF if they couldn't ally with the Federation and team up with its players. Most of the stuff pointed out in the OP is quality of life stuff that would be nice, but changes nothing about the fact that Romulans get all of their ally's ship choices lower than t5, have over twice as many duty officer recruitment options, have a longer and better fleshed out story, their own unique ground plasma weapon types, the best ships in the game, etc., etc. "Fraction" hah!

If they want to handle a hypothetical Cardassian faction in the same way, I'm all for it. It's the smartest way to handle things. Only thing is, as was already pointed out, from a backstory perspective it only makes sense for them to be aligned with the Federation. I'm sure they could write around that if they really wanted to.

After season 9, I'd rather see factions go away as anything other than your starting story and ship choices, anyway. I'd be nice to be able to team up with my friends playing Fed/KDF for the cross faction queues normally, it's ridiculous this isn't already in officially since it works fine.