What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Marriage

Comments

• Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would rather Cryptic build out before they build in. I want to see the Q continuum, I want to see Borg space, I want to see more fluidic space, I want to see the races culture and historical places beyond a single mission before I want to get hitched.

Theyve been building out for 4 years. So this kind of statement is just another way of saying 'I dont want this.'
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The divorce lawyer class still seems like the biggest pro for the addition of marriage.
    Devil is in the details though.

Is marriage between 1 man and 1 woman or also between 2 men or 2 women. Some cultures allow for 1 man to be married to several women so why restrict the marriage to 1 on 1.

Do married couples share inventory and access to purchased c-store ships and if so how is this access handled if the two (or more) persons decide on a divorce.

While star trek is all about acceptance, it has to comply with local law and pushing things like TRIBBLE/TRIBBLE/transgender/bisexual etc may backfire and countries could restrict access to STO.

Overall, too many problems for too little gain so let's keep marriage out of the game.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bY0fdgpISc

Seriously though I once married an Andorian... well ok it was likely a trek nerd in his basement... on Drozona so he would trade me a Bug ship for an Orb. True story.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Only if they implement the hot coffee mod (from GTA:SA). Who wouldnt want to see a gorn mating with a saurian, or a nausicaan with a lethean.

And why so rigid and only allow one marriage at a time, we are openmindet, let one have multiple partners.

We could also created new minigames, like Marauding-Vulcan Slave girls, or Marauding-The big nausicaan Bang.

Gosh, that escalated quickly...
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If geko would have to chose betwen ingame marriage and pvp you'd get your marriage.

There's plenty of PvP in an actual marriage.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    There's plenty of PvP in an actual marriage.

So so true...
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    woodwhity wrote: »
    And why so rigid and only allow one marriage at a time, we are openmindet, let one have multiple partners.

500 partners at once! If you're not willing to marry your Fleet and give everyone the bonus, we don't want you! :P
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    darkjeff wrote: »
    500 partners at once! If you're not willing to marry your Fleet and give everyone the bonus, we don't want you! :P

I ain't saying your fleet's latinum diggers, but I don't see them accepting no broke aenars.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Theyve been building out for 4 years. So this kind of statement is just another way of saying 'I dont want this.'

Believe me, I have played in mmo's that have church, marriage, and ceremonies, with the devs, no one comes back from the experience saying Gee lets do that again, or I wish we could do this everyday. It's a waste of time and resources when it comes to building this games infrastructure. If they want to get married so badly, they should rp it. I would rather Cryptic build great game for the new and old players, not just the people whom are just bored and need something to do with their time.
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have no problem with people RPing a marriage in game...straight, TRIBBLE, or otherwise. I'm even up for the Devs creating a chapel of sorts at the Academy. There are already certain areas appropriate for this...Bajor, Risa, and your own Embassies are nice for ceremonies. But as for buffs, procs, etc. for being joined I draw the line as it would give some an unfair advantage...there's already the marriage penalty tax in real life no need for more TRIBBLE in-game. Thanks.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I have no problem with people RPing a marriage in game...straight, TRIBBLE, or otherwise. I'm even up for the Devs creating a chapel of sorts at the Academy. There are already certain areas appropriate for this...Bajor, Risa, and your own Embassies are nice for ceremonies. But as for buffs, procs, etc. for being joined I draw the line as it would give some an unfair advantage...there's already the marriage penalty tax in real life no need for more TRIBBLE in-game. Thanks.

Marriage is already a debuff.

I can keep these jokes going all day.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Believe me, I have played in mmo's that have church, marriage, and ceremonies, with the devs, no one comes back from the experience saying Gee lets do that again, or I wish we could do this everyday. It's a waste of time and resources when it comes to building this games infrastructure. If they want to get married so badly, they should rp it. I would rather Cryptic build great game for the new and old players, not just the people whom are just bored and need something to do with their time.

So you can read everyones mind and ascertain their opinions on the matter?

This is your personal opinion. If you want it to be taken seriously. You can start by not pretending to have information you do not.
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No way lol. I had enough with Risa and all those vacationers from so many different species, some of em will never even know what a swimsuit means, or they will have completely different ways to celebrate vactions , summer or watever. But you can see em all mixed in Risa lol. And now, you want an "universal" wedding allowing any member of any specie to get married, i imagine in a human wedding way, right?? so, what would think a Gorn, that obviously cant get married? lol. Nah, a stupid sugesstion, as so many others.
  • Options
    originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So you can read everyones mind and ascertain their opinions on the matter?

This is your personal opinion. If you want it to be taken seriously. You can start by not pretending to have information you do not.

lol You are claiming that my opinions are others, you are claiming that I am simply clueless, inexperienced opinion dropper or else you wouldn't drop such vague baseless accusations on me. Oh and I have plenty of information, as I have seen it happen several times.

If you want to get married, rp it. It's not like its real to begin with. I want to explore, I want to experience Startrek, not play the Sims.
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I just threw up in my mouth a little.

I would like to personally thank this poster for a good long laugh.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I remember marriage being in SWG, it had no real advantage, but you could marry any gender/species and it put their name in your profile/Bio like Married to: XXXXXX or something like that.

They should add cross faction grouping now I think but it does not need to be tied in to marriage.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If you want to RP a marriage ingame, be my guest. I don't see the point of introducing special wedding stuff. It would affect only a small minority of player, I don't see much what they could add (rings ? buffs ?), and there is so many different species, genders (!), and culture in ST you can't possibly add everything.

So yeah, do a private wedding, add "married to TRIBBLE" in your bio, and voila, your ingame marriage is done.
    You don't really need anything else, do you ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    HOW is this thread even still going?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    HOW is this thread even still going?

because it is a topic that interest many people other than yourself. Marriage is viable in gaming, and with added bonuses it can open up a whole new area of entertainment for the players. Last I remember, there are women who play STO aside from us gentlemen, LOL. I do not know the specifics in regards to male and female ratio, though I assume males are higher on that list. Same sex interest also abound among the player base. So marriage is a hot topic at the moment. :D
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Not really. Not because of the "whats the point" brainz arguments (going down that route ends up always in whats the point in playing that game at all) but because I totally would hate a swarm of creepy "marry me, we get +1% res all" tells. The game offers everything needed for those who want to either roleplay that, relive their moment as real life couple online or bouth:

- Captains / Bajoran Vedec players who can lead the ceremony (Just make sure that chosen player is up to the task).
    - Lots of fancy outfit options
    - Locations; if needed private on fleetholdings / starships
    - the ability to rename your chars family name
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    stark2k wrote: »
    because it is a topic that interest many people other than yourself. Marriage is viable in gaming, and with added bonuses it can open up a whole new area of entertainment for the players. Last I remember, there are women who play STO aside from us gentlemen, LOL. I do not know the specifics in regards to male and female ratio, though I assume males are higher on that list. Same sex interest also abound among the player base. So marriage is a hot topic at the moment. :D

What you call "Viable" I call "sad".
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    at least there wouldn't be any actual touching.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If Starfleet wanted me to marry they would have included a wife with my com badge.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,608 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Only way you can have married couples in game is if one of them dies, permanently, toon deleted. There are no successful marriages in Trek. Crusher? Died sisko? Died the weapons control dude? Died. And the weapons control chick died later when she hooked up with a blue shirt
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Only way you can have married couples in game is if one of them dies, permanently, toon deleted. There are no successful marriages in Trek. Crusher? Died sisko? Died the weapons control dude? Died. And the weapons control chick died later when she hooked up with a blue shirt

What about the most iconian couple of all times?? Riker and Troi?? :D
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Could I marry a hologram if I feel in love with one?

No, but if you fell in love with a ferasan then it might be bestiality
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    As if marriage isn't PvP...

At least to Klingons...
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    No, but if you fell in love with a ferasan then it might be bestiality

No more so than with a Klingon.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    What about the most iconian couple of all times?? Riker and Troi?? :D

We don't KNOW something did not happen to him her or both. Titan could have smashed into Pluto, if Troi were driving
    We Want Vic Fontaine