Install Arc
Options

Constellation Class

Comments

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    Case in point, Galaxy class Enterprise was taken down by a BoP in Generations ... And everyone found it believable.

Excuse me? The destruction of the Enterprise-D required a frankly ludicrous level of plot-induced stupidity on the part of the command crew and the Starfleet Corps of Engineers.
    • The one believable part in the whole mess: The Duras sisters get the shield frequency of the Ent-D so they can fire through the shields.
    • Worf, the tactical officer, gets the first black mark for not immediately figuring out that the most common method of shooting through shields with conventional weapons is to match frequencies. The solution that should have been obvious is to set the shields into anti-Borg mode, i.e. random remodulation.
    • Picard clearly stated earlier that the Duras' D-12 BoP is no match for a GCS. Therefore Riker, as acting captain, gets the second black mark for not immediately ordering Worf to open fire with everything he had. Not like the BoP was cloaked or anything; in fact it was sitting stock-still right in the path of the forward torpedo tube. Instead he fires one shot from the fore ventral phaser and then slowly runs away. And yet despite Riker's concerted effort to get everyone aboard killed the Enterprise still hull-tanked the Klingons for a good five minutes or so.
    • Leah Brahms' and the GCS engineering team also deserve a general court-martial for unbelievable levels of incompetence in the design of basic safety features such as, hey, the warp core ejection system. It has never worked on the Enterprise, so Geordi, now reasonably genre savvy about this, gets a commendation for not wasting time in ordering an evacuation once the Duras sisters miraculously score a fatal hit.

Does that level of utter incompetence seem remotely believable to you?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    spielman1 wrote: »
    you also have to look what the galaxy ws designed for Exploration not combat the Excelsior and OCnstellation Classes where built during a time when the federation needed warships more than exploration. The in ship design the Exploration was a role done when peace was good.

multiple tzenkethy hot wars, a tholion war that resulted in a space dock style starebase being destroyed, and a constant hot and cold war with the cardasians that lasted from about 2350 to 2368, all took place during the galaxy class's creation. their hadn't been a war in the tos days since 2245, into the 24th century there was little more then postureing and the orgainians preventing conflicts. so please, stow this BS already, im so tired of hearing it.

for an explorer that's alone and far from any backup, that's got a 50/50 chance or worse for first contact to go south, theres would have to be little difference between a battlecruiser and an exploer to just send off alone into the void.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I didn't read how a thread on the Constellation-class devolved into Galaxy vs Bird of Prey argument :D

But I attribute the Ent-D's loss to the fickle Lady Luck / a.k.a. Plot Armor, and it being part of a horrible movie.

To be on topic: Why the hell the Constellation-class has not been implemented yet is beyond me. Esp. since the saucer section assets were already leaked to us long ago.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    To be on topic: Why the hell the Constellation-class has not been implemented yet is beyond me. Esp. since the saucer section assets were already leaked to us long ago.

I'm going to chalk it up to timing. We are at the mercy of Cryptic's planned production schedule. When it rolls out, it'll roll out with the usual fanfare.

... Or it'll get clumped with the unused assets in the game like the bamboo cannon (the one Kirk used to fight the Gorn in that TOS episode).
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    As to why the Constellation Class hasn't been done in I do not now either be nice if they added it soon it is only 1 of 3 Canon ship not added the other 2 being the Challenger and the Niagara Class (hope I spelled that right).

Actually one more ... New Orleans-class.

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2014/149/5/a/new_orleans_class_ortho__new__by_unusualsuspex-d7k2hk1.jpg
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,560 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Excuse me? The destruction of the Enterprise-D required a frankly ludicrous level of plot-induced stupidity on the part of the command crew and the Starfleet Corps of Engineers.
    • The one believable part in the whole mess: The Duras sisters get the shield frequency of the Ent-D so they can fire through the shields.
    • Worf, the tactical officer, gets the first black mark for not immediately figuring out that the most common method of shooting through shields with conventional weapons is to match frequencies. The solution that should have been obvious is to set the shields into anti-Borg mode, i.e. random remodulation.
    • Picard clearly stated earlier that the Duras' D-12 BoP is no match for a GCS. Therefore Riker, as acting captain, gets the second black mark for not immediately ordering Worf to open fire with everything he had. Not like the BoP was cloaked or anything; in fact it was sitting stock-still right in the path of the forward torpedo tube. Instead he fires one shot from the fore ventral phaser and then slowly runs away. And yet despite Riker's concerted effort to get everyone aboard killed the Enterprise still hull-tanked the Klingons for a good five minutes or so.
    • Leah Brahms' and the GCS engineering team also deserve a general court-martial for unbelievable levels of incompetence in the design of basic safety features such as, hey, the warp core ejection system. It has never worked on the Enterprise, so Geordi, now reasonably genre savvy about this, gets a commendation for not wasting time in ordering an evacuation once the Duras sisters miraculously score a fatal hit.

Does that level of utter incompetence seem remotely believable to you?

It's simply this, E-D had to die in the movie so they Koybiashi Maru it and broke the rules. We all know Riker and Work are better officers then that. With without shields you fire like hell at the BOP till it dies but the writers wanted the ship to die so she did.

What would make sense for Consrtellation is a say 3.5 zen ship and Skin unlock for Heavy Cruiser and the retro and of course Picard manuver console.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    The thing of it is that the Constellation Class itself was a class of it own so why not have it stay as that instead fo reskining another ship to look it. I think it needs be its own Class that simple.

The Miranda and Centaur are seperate classes but in the game they are alt skins of your first ship. Thus the same applies for the Constellation. Heck with some work you can get the current skins look like a modernized Constellation. I don't want the ship to be like oberth. i ship only diehard fans will by but useless in high tier.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    As to why the Constellation Class hasn't been done in I do not now either be nice if they added it soon it is only 1 of 3 Canon ship not added the other 2 being the Challenger and the Niagara Class (hope I spelled that right).

Also, Norway, 5 versions of the Nebula, Venture type Galaxy, two other Miranda types, the Nemasis refit Sovereign, the Soyuz and Antares Miranda types, the Sydney, the Yeager, the Curry, the Daedalus, the Freedom, the Ptolemy, and the Saladin.

:P
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    Also, Norway, 5 versions of the Nebula, Venture type Galaxy, two other Miranda types, the Nemasis refit Sovereign, the Soyuz and Antares Miranda types, the Sydney, the Yeager, the Curry, the Daedalus, the Freedom, the Ptolemy, and the Saladin.

:P

Some of those are TOS era ships so will not be in. Yeager HELL NO aweful ship. Curry can be a flight deck cruiser. and there's only 3 known varients of Nebula and norway is already in as the Oslo.
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am not saying the Galaxy has no combat ability it does but when you look at casualtiy reports and such many where destroyed. No there was no majot war during re TOS time during the Movie or TMP you had the Klingons on there throats the many races conspiring against the Federation. By the way I do no tolerate bulling or cursing in my posts.

From the beginning of the Galaxy Class Development Project in the 2350s, to end of the Dominion War, sources have the Galaxy's losses standing at four ships.

The pre-refit Constitution class lost close to that just over the course of a five year period, between 2265-2270. And that was considered acceptable attrition.

So, four Galaxy class starships lost over the course of roughly twenty years, is actually a pretty damned good service record.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    and there's only 3 known varients of Nebula and norway is already in as the Oslo.

Nebula class, Bonchune variant, Phoenix variant, Melbourne variant (Nebula prototype I), Nebula prototype II, and Nebula prototype III.

Steamrunner was in as the Zephyr, they the Steamrunner was added, so the Norway should be as well.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    edited June 2014
    From the beginning of the Galaxy Class Development Project in the 2350s, to end of the Dominion War, sources have the Galaxy's losses standing at four ships.

The pre-refit Constitution class lost close to that just over the course of a five year period, between 2265-2270. And that was considered acceptable attrition.

So, four Galaxy class starships lost over the course of roughly twenty years, is actually a pretty damned good service record.

But the connie first run was 12 ships. the Galaxy was 6 and all of the four known deaths were that first run of ships
    artan42 wrote: »
    Nebula class, Bonchune variant, Phoenix variant, Melbourne variant (Nebula prototype I), Nebula prototype II, and Nebula prototype III.

Steamrunner was in as the Zephyr, they the Steamrunner was added, so the Norway should be as well.
    Steamrunner was only added was because Steam was hosting the game now and only steam players can have it.
  • Options
    willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So, it is Captain Picard day right? Looks like we do not get a Constellation class for this occasion
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So, it is Captain Picard day right? Looks like we do not get a Constellation class for this occasion

It's barely after 8 AM Pacific...

Why do folks forget timezones?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Steamrunner was only added was because Steam was hosting the game now and only steam players can have it.

It's still part of the game.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Looks like Monday came and no Constellation Class. So whoever said it would come out then lied to a lot of people and such. Unless soemmone nows how to get it in game.

Cryptics devs surely know how to dissappoint ppl.
    Some rumor here, some little puzzeling statement there, but in the end nothing of substance.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Dev blogs aren't normally released untill 20:00 GMT, and it's currently 16:33 GMT

- So there is still some time!
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Looks like Monday came and no Constellation Class. So whoever said it would come out then lied to a lot of people and such. Unless soemmone nows how to get it in game.

Nobody's been lying about anything. It's just forum speculation based on the fact that 'Captain Picard Day' would be an appropriate time for such a release.

Besides... Monday ain't over yet. :P
  • Options
    solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    capnmanx wrote: »
    Nobody's been lying about anything.
    Somebody has. But aside from that, I don't remember any reasonable posts claiming such a thing.
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If Cryptic had done a "Captain Picard Day" it just would have been another grind-fest anyways, so it's probably just as well.

Gecko suggested in a podcast that they will finish the "accidentally" released Constellation-class skin.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.