test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Askray....

captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Ten Forward
Who is "Ray" and why should we ask him?
As a matter of fact, what on earth should we ask him?
I need a beer.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I vote you ask him when Cryptic's going to release a T5 Exeter, like Smirk suggested was wanted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Askray
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This is why we can't have nice things.:(
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Askray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Who is "Ray" and why should we ask him?
    As a matter of fact, what on earth should we ask him?

Haha. Askray was just a name I threw together for randomness it really has no bearing on anything. Especially since my first name is Paul :P

You guys can ask me whatever you want, I'm fine with answering as long as it's nothing related to moderation (cuz that's against the rules), or anything I may or may not know about STO and it's development (which is pretty much nothing).

But please remember I am just a volunteer and a gamer :) So just remember if you ask me anything about the game, or anything relating to said game, It's my opinion and not that of Cryptic or PWE's. Which has been known to clash from time to time hehe.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Do you play sto?

Do you play with the other mods?

Do you have to do the dev and keep your handle semi secret?

Do you really have no sway with cryptic?

How did you become a mod?

Why the bad TRIBBLE colour of purple?

Do I know you, have I made a build for you?
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    whats a good window sealant for the winter?
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What is your stance on bacon?

Would you support bacon if it decided to run for Prime Minister?

If bacon asked you to take up a post in the new Cabinet, would your views allow you to work successfully with it?

Is a bacon build a viable PvP alternative to a cookie cutter build?

Kidding around here. :D

Volunteer mod on a game forum is one of the more thankless jobs I can think of. Did my time back in the day and do not miss it one bit. I am unsure whether to praise you for your courage or pity you for your masochism, lol.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    dahminus
    • Do you play sto?
    Yes! I've played since beta, and have been a regular player in game since then :) Now yes, with new situations in my life (moving, getting married, taking care of someone) it's been less than it used to. Plus burnout so I don't log in daily anymore, but I still log in quite often :)

• Do you play with the other mods?

Nope. I've done an STF with Brandon (Branflakes) before, but really I do missions etc with fleet mates or close friends :) Unless I'm bored then I do pugs.

• Do you have to do the dev and keep your handle semi secret?

No. My account is a player account with no special powers, so my name can be public. However, due to situations and the fact I was getting slammed with PM's in game with requests for moderation it was changed so my forum handle does not match my in game one. On occasion, I do let it known but for the most part it's private.

• Do you really have no sway with cryptic?

Nope. I have about as much as any player.

• How did you become a mod?

I was part of the first batch brought on a few years ago when they opened it up to applicants. I have extensive knowledge of vbulletin (used it since the 1x branch), moderation of communities and so fourth.

• Why the bad TRIBBLE colour of purple?

That's what was picked actually. I wanted other colors but I was shot down hehe.

• Do I know you, have I made a build for you?

AFAIK, no. I normally use my own builds or have a few people I talk to about it. I have tried the transphasic torpedo boat but beyond that, I normally use what I like regardless of what people think of it.

hawku001x
    • whats a good window sealant for the winter?
    Depends. Car, or house? :P
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    What is your stance on bacon?

Would you support bacon if it decided to run for Prime Minister?

If bacon asked you to take up a post in the new Cabinet, would your views allow you to work successfully with it?

Is a bacon build a viable PvP alternative to a cookie cutter build?

Kidding around here. :D

Volunteer mod on a game forum is one of the more thankless jobs I can think of. Did my time back in the day and do not miss it one bit. I am unsure whether to praise you for your courage or pity you for your masochism, lol.

1 line -

BACON ALL THE WAY!!!!!
    :P

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Askray

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Askray

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

Uhhhh uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh um....

Ahh thanks to jack here is my answer:

I'm hungry and I'm going to eat it! :P

• Options
    edited June 2014
    askray wrote: »
    I was part of the first batch brought on a few years ago when they opened it up to applicants.

First batch? There was a second batch? When did that happen?
    I have extensive knowledge of vbulletin (used it since the 1x branch)

Wait, these boards are still VB based?

Some other questions:

- Your mention of VB got me thinking about the changes they made to the home page a short while ago. Since VB's kind of dated compared to that whole crazy direction they went, what's your opinion of in general, web moving more towards touch screen compatibility, and does that mesh well with a lot of older internet forums? Some communities have been around 20-ish years, and so have really strong bonds.

- Do you think STO meshes well with social media?

- What's your take on the wiki, and how some info kind of gets buried and is hard to find? Any ideas on how to help new players overcome the huge information blitz that the game has in terms of learning curve? Like, ok, a lot of vets think this game is spacebar online and if you've been playing it for years it's definitely like that. But then you get a new player (or a returning player who's two plus years removed) and they just don't know. Like ALL this stuff hits them.

I'm reminded of one time I went back to LOTRO. Game is fine. Everything was a-OK. But I left after 5 minutes. I just didn't want to re-learn everything, and essentially had to start over. Any ideas on what the forums can do to help new player acclimate?

- Do you like Star Trek outside of STO? Like other Star Trek communities? Been to any cons?

- And of course, the question I've been dying to ask ... T5 OBERTH? Thoughts?

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Are you a god?
  • Options
    stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Askray, Do you pee on the side of the toilet bowl to make less noise?

P.S. You may want to look into this.
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Askray

... do you like movies about gladiators?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    askray wrote: »
    • Do you have to do the dev and keep your handle semi secret?

No. My account is a player account with no special powers, so my name can be public. However, due to situations and the fact I was getting slammed with PM's in game with requests for moderation it was changed so my forum handle does not match my in game one. On occasion, I do let it known but for the most part it's private.

i have three different names due to the account link up one for login, one for forum and one in game. but yeah for security reasons your ingame and forum as well as your login should be different to each other i would of thought, if you can get it like that for added security...

anyways. snoggymack wants to be a mod and stomper is asking the wrong thing, nothing new on sto forums :D.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    snoggymack22

• First batch? There was a second batch? When did that happen?

Second batch IIRC was last year when it was realized that the amount of mod's we had were not even close the the necessary amount. Even now, being totally honest, I think we need more.

• Wait, these boards are still VB based?

Yep.

• Your mention of VB got me thinking about the changes they made to the home page a short while ago. Since VB's kind of dated compared to that whole crazy direction they went, what's your opinion of in general, web moving more towards touch screen compatibility, and does that mesh well with a lot of older internet forums? Some communities have been around 20-ish years, and so have really strong bonds.

Yeah vbulletin 5...ew lol. I've seen a few sites going more to touch screen and honestly I don't think it meshes with the current forum technology. I think that there are a few new software packages out there that are more directed towards where the new tech is going (html5, more clean coded java etc), but for the older internet forums that have been around for over a decade? No. I think that they should stay the way they are unless the majority of their user base wishes to move on to a new software. Which it's been my observation with the older communities, the less change they want to see. And really, if it's worked for so many years why change what's obviously working for them? :)

• Do you think STO meshes well with social media?

No. I think that Morrigan and Trevor do well with keeping as much as possible updated on social media, but there is a lot of room for improvement especially when it comes down to in game or even the forums. Hopefully that's what you meant if not, lemme know and I can try again hehe.

• What's your take on the wiki, and how some info kind of gets buried and is hard to find? Any ideas on how to help new players overcome the huge information blitz that the game has in terms of learning curve? Like, ok, a lot of vets think this game is spacebar online and if you've been playing it for years it's definitely like that. But then you get a new player (or a returning player who's two plus years removed) and they just don't know. Like ALL this stuff hits them.

I think the revamp in the tutorial was a good first step. I've been on the wiki quite a few times (was around when it first came into existence hehe), but I do agree the information can be quite overwhelming to read, which sadly a lot of it is necessary. The wiki should be, in my mind, a secondary resource. To get more in depth knowledge about a system or mission not the primary and if people are going over there to get the primary information then the game has failed to teach the new player. It needs to have step by step guides, hey even intermission "missions" that explain in depth each of the systems you get access to. This would especially help the players returning as they could run these little missions (which could even be little videos), explaining the new system, what it does etc. But really that's my long thought process on that and I'm sure I made 0 sense lol.

• I'm reminded of one time I went back to LOTRO. Game is fine. Everything was a-OK. But I left after 5 minutes. I just didn't want to re-learn everything, and essentially had to start over. Any ideas on what the forums can do to help new player acclimate?

In some ways, shockingly enough, quite a few players on the forums will answer questions honestly and as best as they can to new players which is good to see. That's about the best you can do, answer questions that new players have or that old returning players have.

• Do you like Star Trek outside of STO? Like other Star Trek communities? Been to any cons?

Oh yes I've loved Star Trek since I was a kid and my sister had this crush on William Shatner so we watched TOS a lot. I honestly didn't like that series but really started loving TNG and beyond. I've seen every series at least 4 times (except TOS and TAS honestly don't like them), and I am apart of a few ST communities including ones dealing with Star Trek vs Star Wars (which is a constant battle hehe). I've only been to 1 con when I was a kid and that's because of money. Now it's more complex due to my current situation but I do plan to one day visit LV's convention :)

• And of course, the question I've been dying to ask ... T5 OBERTH? Thoughts?

UGH lol. I honestly think the ship looks stupid so I'd be okay with never seeing it at Tier 5 level :P

captainrevo1
    • Are you a god?

No. At least I don't think so.

stomperx99
    • Askray, Do you pee on the side of the toilet bowl to make less noise?

Haha, actually no I don't. I probably should though.

iconians

• ... do you like movies about gladiators?

Depends on the movie. Like the movie gladiator if that helps.

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    so to extend on snoggymacks question and being curious myself. when is the third round for mod recruitment? :P
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    so to extend on snoggymacks question and being curious myself. when is the third round for mod recruitment? :P
    I honestly have no idea if/when there will be another "hiring" round for mods. If there is, there will be a thread posted in at least general discussion about it and how to go about it so that's how you'd know :)

• Options
    edited June 2014
    When someone asks if you're a god, you say... YES!
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    First batch? There was a second batch? When did that happen?

There are four moderators. *is promptly slapped by Gul Madred* Five! Five...moderators.

Askray, obviously. Along with the other often seen mod of Bluegeek. Past those two we have those varmints Kalecto, Tobar26th, and Syberghost, who don't come 'round these parts anymore. (Or at least I ain't noticed em)

Now, Askray, do you watch a lot of movies? Not necessarily new ones. Because methinks that you don't, considering you didn't get TWO references there from Iconians and Captainrevo1.

Do you like epohhs?

Do you prefer to say it 'E-pOh' or 'ep-Oh'?
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »
    There are four moderators. *is promptly slapped by Gul Madred* Five! Five...moderators.

Askray, obviously. Along with the other often seen mod of Bluegeek. Past those two we have those varmints Kalecto, Tobar26th, and Syberghost, who don't come 'round these parts anymore. (Or at least I ain't noticed em)

Now, Askray, do you watch a lot of movies? Not necessarily new ones. Because methinks that you don't, considering you didn't get TWO references there from Iconians and Captainrevo1.

Do you like epohhs?

Do you prefer to say it 'E-pOh' or 'ep-Oh'?

Yeah yeah yeah... lol I honestly haven't seen blade runner in god knows how long, ghostbuster was a couple of years back...apparently I need to watch them again.

Epohhs are cute and cuddly, and I say it E-pOh.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Do you believe posts based on ignorance and misinformation should be given the same amount of consideration as posts based on fact and reality for the sake of being fair to everybody, even if ignorance and misinformation sabotages an otherwise productive and constructive discussion?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Do you believe posts based on ignorance and misinformation should be given the same amount of consideration as posts based on fact and reality for the sake of being fair to everybody, even if ignorance and misinformation sabotages an otherwise productive and constructive discussion?
    Wow. That's a loaded question :P

A lot of people post out of misinformation and it's been shown time and time again on the forums. Do I think that people should take their posts into consideration to be fair to everyone? No I don't. As my mom always said to me "Life isn't fair". If you're wrong, you're misinformed then that's that, make sure to hear other people out so you can learn why you're in the wrong. If you cannot accept that you may be wrong, then well that's your issue, not to mention it does derail the constructive discussion quite a bit if people keep giving out the wrong information. So that's the best answer I can give at almost 1am. Time for me to go to bed for a bit :P

• Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    When someone asks if you're a god, you say... YES!

At least someone got it.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    What... is your name?

What... is your quest?

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    My name shall remain nameless, my quest unimportant, and 24mph!

If the answer is 42, what is the question?
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Who are you?
    What do you want?
    Where are you going?
    Who do you serve, and who do you trust?

:P
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What is the square root of negative Pi, I've been dying to know!

...It did say to ask Ray.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.