What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Generations; 20th Anniverary

Comments

• Options
    doctorfunke1doctorfunke1 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Cryptic could also make m/e spend money on the concept uniform they HAD planned to use for the movie, the ones the playmates figures had on, those were pretty boss.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Those are the two most expensive VO actors in Star Trek. DStahl once joked that he was going to put a $150,000.00 item in the C-Store to pay for Spiner to do Data VO work, so I can only imagine how much those two would want.

Might be less than you think, considering how much Sir Patrick loved playing Picard. Seriously, the guy said his years of Shakespearean training were prep for Picard. Trouble with Spiner-as-Data is, he's reportedly tired of the role: there's a fair price, and then there's "price you give to make people go the hell away".

Unfortunately, I don't recall Cryptic doing anything for us in-game for the 50th anniversary of the Star Trek franchise, so I'm not seeing them doing a special for that piece-of-TRIBBLE movie.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Shouldn it be a destroyed galaxy? Or at least a permanently damaged saucer?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    wildmousexwildmousex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    don't waste time doing interiors that will go mostly unused - give us another shot at Worf's sash from when TNG hit 20 and all will be good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me playing UT2k4 (red guy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0DnP7wXnU
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I don't recall Cryptic doing anything for us in-game for the 50th anniversary of the Star Trek franchise, so I'm not seeing them doing a special for that piece-of-TRIBBLE movie.
    Well fortunately for us the 50th Anniversary is not until 2016 - the first episode was aired on September 8, 1966. So it is quite possible that Cryptic will do something for us on the 50th. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Please exploit the fact that in November it is 20 years since Generations released, and give us a Galaxy-class interior, with proper engine room and warp core, ten-forward and a better representation of the galaxy bridge seen in the movie! Make me spend money!!!!!!

Nice Joke!!!:P
  • Options
    adorenkoadorenko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    teluas wrote: »
    Holy TRIBBLE, its been 20 years already???

Damn, I feel old...

Time is the very fire in which we burn!
    Looking for more info on Dilithium Rising? Click on the link below:

[SIGPIC]Click here to visit my STO YouTube channel[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    How about they complete the TOS Cast Movie/TWOK equipment set, to mark the end of that era?

TWOK style ship and hand phasers, the other uniform variants like bomber jackets, overcoats and waistcoats would be nice.

We already have the basic uniform and some of the iconic ships of the era, this would be a nice date to complete the sets.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Damn, I feel old...

OH MY GOD. 20 years ALREADY? where the hell did it go?!
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I thought that Dr Coopers' costume looked a little like the vest Kirk wears in Generations, but was white, then they changed it, hmmmmm

btw, Generations was the first movie I went to alone, I was 11. I really do like the movie, I know its not MANY peoples fave, but it is one of the only Trek movies to actually have a moral to it, the rest are usually the classic good v. evil, but this one gives us a look at ourselves and how we go about life, I liked that.
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Damn, I feel old...

Hey you damn kids! Get out of my sector, I am trying to watch my stories!!! *waves cane*

Damn kids, back in my day we didn't have any fancy shmancy anti proton weapons, we had our phasers and we liked it! We used PHOTON torpedoes and they did just fine. Heck we explored space and we were amazed when we found something new, not like you jaded youth these days.

You kids have it easy.

Damn.....kids.....*grumble, gumble*

zzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Might be less than you think, considering how much Sir Patrick loved playing Picard. Seriously, the guy said his years of Shakespearean training were prep for Picard.

Erm.
    No.
    I met him, and talked to him about it.
    He HATES it. He HATES that in parts of the world he is still thought of as some wierd pjama wearing fool of a french-man with an English accent and not the talented Shakespearean/West-End actor that he is.

STO does not earn enough money to afford him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The fun thing is somewhere in my damaged brain "Generations" is still hardcoded as one of the "new" star trek movies^^

Cant believe that its been 20 years since the last official appearance of the Enterprise D....
    Erm.
    No.
    He HATES it. He HATES that in parts of the world he is still thought of as some wierd pjama wearing fool of a french-man with an English accent and not the talented Shakespearean/West-End actor that he is.

I have very serious issues believing that you met him and befriended him so close that he told you how he secretly hates that part while he claims everywhere else the opposite.

There are in fact several interviews and stuff on that subject. Especially that Video Shatner made talking to all the other Star Trek Captains.

Stewart in fact hated the part originally and did not even consider for a second that tng could be a success. But with the time the part grew on him and he looks very fondly back on that.

Still I doubt Cryptic can afford him, since he certainly will not do that for free.
    On the other hand they had Nimoy. And other games had Steward voice overs.

I personally would really want Cryptic to invest some money into getting their game running first before they invest money into luxury like original actors voice overs. Given the increasingly bad shape of STO, I don't think they really can effort anything of that right now.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well fortunately for us the 50th Anniversary is not until 2016 - the first episode was aired on September 8, 1966. So it is quite possible that Cryptic will do something for us on the 50th. :)

Oops. My bad. Coulda sworn...
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    edalgo wrote: »

He's stated that without TNG he was probably heading back to the UK.

Pehaps hate is too strong a word...
    He is grateful for the experience, exposure and benefit that the role was to his acting career.
    However, he is not proud of it, and he does not like reprising the role, whether it be in voiceovers or at conventions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I could have swore that just a few days ago Sir Patrick had a run-in with the director of the Smithsonian because they did not have a Star Trek exhibit - the director stating the only Star Trek item they had were some Spock ears, and Patrick saying he was going to change that.

I think Patrick is very aware that without TNG he would have remained primarily an English actor doing BBC and theater. TNG exposed him to the world and made him millions of dollars in the process. I think he is appreciative of the experience now - even though he probably hated the 12-14 hour days back then. But all that being said he is not going to work for the $401.00 per hour SAG Scale minimum VO work pays. His voice is iconic and I am certain he charges well for it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    Hey you damn kids! Get out of my sector, I am trying to watch my stories!!! *waves cane*

Damn kids, back in my day we didn't have any fancy shmancy anti proton weapons, we had our phasers and we liked it! We used PHOTON torpedoes and they did just fine. Heck we explored space and we were amazed when we found something new, not like you jaded youth these days.

You kids have it easy.

zzzzzzzzzz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COSeM2EVkDc This made my day :D If I could upvote I would.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    abaddon653 wrote: »

You kids have it easy.

zzzzzzzzzz

I remember when all this was just asteroid fields......
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Erm.
    No.

I don't believe he hated it as much as you express it here. He was worried when the show became a hit after the first season and that he would have to serve out his six year contract. He was worried because he felt if stayed away from stage acting for so long he would lose his edge, which was his true love in acting. He was able to negotiate out that during his time on TNG that he could perform his own "one man shows," as it were. We all know how he excelled at great speeches against injustice and the like. this allowed him to keep his stage acting talents sharp and Star Trek was all the more better for it.

Additionally, Patrick Stewart has even stated that he enjoys the fame that came with the role. If any captain disliked his role as a captain it was Shatner but even he enjoyed the stardom that came with it over time, Shatner began to embrace the captain's chair.

• Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Erm.
    No.

Just tell him how good he was in Dune.

He likes that.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Uhm...I supose you're talking about the free Galaxy "type" bridge. The ones in the Galaxy bridge C-Store pack all have 3 chairs in the central area, furthermore I was shocked when I bought them to see that my first and second in command are actually seating in them as they should! :eek:

I say, Free Guinan hats for everyone!!!!!:P
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Whilst not exactly on-topic, so far as the actors who played Captains disliking their role is concerned, I (personally) always thought that Avery Brooks gave that impression.

I mean, I attended the 'Generations II' convention in London, shortly after the movie was released. Avery Brooks was one of the speakers, but he was - shall we say - odd. He didn't say very much about Trek at all. What little Trek he did focus on involved the episodes where he played 'Benny Russell' due to his obviously strong feeling about the treatement of ethnic minorities at the time that the episode(s) in question were set.

And during the VERY brief Q&A, when someone asked him about "the ship" (namely the Defiant) he danced around the stage a bit, asked "what ship?" and then changed the subject. I distinctly remember the person sat next to me mubling "can't beleive I paid good money to see this". And everyone seemed to be left with a 'what the heck was that?' feeling when he left the stage.
    Although disliking the role is probably too strong a description - a better description would be 'not interested in the subject matter'.

In contrast, I very much enjoyed the other stars, particuarly James Doohan and Patrick Stewart - they had some great stories to tell.

Yeah, Avery Brooks has always been an odd bird. On Netflix there is a documentary called "The Capatains," where Shatner goes around interviewing all the captains, including Chris Pine. During the interview with Avery Brooks, he was so odd I felt a sense of awkwardness and embarrassment in myself. I know it sounds odd to say that but it was sooooo weird.

Don't get me wrong I liked DS9 and I enjoyed his portrayal of a captain, he wasn't the greatest actor to take on the captain role but he had some good scenes.

• Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Erm.
    No.

I don't think he hates the part but I do think he has different attitudes about Picard than what they had in the series and that his take was more evident in the movies where he had more negotiating room.

Things I know he disliked:

- That Picard was ten years older than him, making him seem old.

- That they sometimes depicted Picard as having hair well into adulthood and having lost it from age. Stewart lost his hair around 20 and HATED that they had him wear a hairpiece or cast an actor with a full head of hair as a cadet Picard. He's sensitive about his hair and his head shape (which has tied up likeness approvals before) and insisted on Tom Hardy having a shaved head not just as Shinzon but in his photo cameo as cadet Picard.

- That they kept pairing Picard with Beverly when he wanted Picard romancing hot young starlets. Keep in mind, his wife is younger than Wil Wheaton.

- He disliked Picard being portrayed as overly bookish, aloof, or prone to speeches. He wanted Picard to be a tough guy man's man and I think this drove the writers to introduce Dixon Hill so he could play a more Humphrey Bogart style character as well as the artificial heart and barfight. (I think Tapestry was written largely around his demands to show that Picard was not just a bureaucrat or a philosopher but that the movies catered to his demands more.)

- He wanted Picard to drive fast cars (he requested the ARGO), romance young women, perform athletic feats, and engage enemies in fistfights and swordplay.

You can see the tug overall. They tried to make Picard more of a Scrooge figure towards personal relationships early on, with mature romances like Lwaxana and Beverly. Stewart wanted, fought for, and got fistfights, swordplay, fast cars, hard boiled action, hot young women, and a fiery temper.

There are two Picards. The more contemplative, conscientious, and mature one bores Stewart. He likes a more morally grey two-fisted Picard prone to violent outbursts and passionate sexuality.

He's parodied this a bit on Extras and American Dad but it really is more the Picard he wants to play.

If you want him to be a stoic philosopher, he's less interested. If you want him to scream, punch things, drive fast cars, and chase skirts with maybe shades of the philosopher added for depth, he's in.

He'd rather play Prince Hal than Hamlet and I think he'd rather play an especially manic Hamlet than a depressed and thoughtful one.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I don't think he hates the part but I do think he has different attitudes about Picard than what they had in the series and that his take was more evident in the movies where he had more negotiating room.

Things I know he disliked:

- That Picard was ten years older than him, making him seem old.

- That they sometimes depicted Picard as having hair well into adulthood and having lost it from age. Stewart lost his hair around 20 and HATED that they had him wear a hairpiece or cast an actor with a full head of hair as a cadet Picard. He's sensitive about his hair and his head shape (which has tied up likeness approvals before) and insisted on Tom Hardy having a shaved head not just as Shinzon but in his photo cameo as cadet Picard.

- That they kept pairing Picard with Beverly when he wanted Picard romancing hot young starlets. Keep in mind, his wife is younger than Wil Wheaton.

- He disliked Picard being portrayed as overly bookish, aloof, or prone to speeches. He wanted Picard to be a tough guy man's man and I think this drove the writers to introduce Dixon Hill so he could play a more Humphrey Bogart style character as well as the artificial heart and barfight. (I think Tapestry was written largely around his demands to show that Picard was not just a bureaucrat or a philosopher but that the movies catered to his demands more.)

- He wanted Picard to drive fast cars (he requested the ARGO), romance young women, perform athletic feats, and engage enemies in fistfights and swordplay.

You can see the tug overall. They tried to make Picard more of a Scrooge figure towards personal relationships early on, with mature romances like Lwaxana and Beverly. Stewart wanted, fought for, and got fistfights, swordplay, fast cars, hard boiled action, hot young women, and a fiery temper.

There are two Picards. The more contemplative, conscientious, and mature one bores Stewart. He likes a more morally grey two-fisted Picard prone to violent outbursts and passionate sexuality.

He's parodied this a bit on Extras and American Dad but it really is more the Picard he wants to play.

If you want him to be a stoic philosopher, he's less interested. If you want him to scream, punch things, drive fast cars, and chase skirts with maybe shades of the philosopher added for depth, he's in.

He'd rather play Prince Hal than Hamlet and I think he'd rather play an especially manic Hamlet than a depressed and thoughtful one.

When you say, "He disliked:" are you refering to Picard or Stewart? Because none of this sounds like Stewart. What sources can you site?

• Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A Celebration for the Galaxy?

Galaxy Dreadnought + Monarch Skin = Yes Please.

Nebula Class (Fleet) + Venture Skin = Additional Yes Please.

That is all.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Those are the two most expensive VO actors in Star Trek. DStahl once joked that he was going to put a $150,000.00 item in the C-Store to pay for Spiner to do Data VO work, so I can only imagine how much those two would want.

Could always pay Brent Spiner to impersonate the voice of Picard. Just sayin... :P
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    So back to the topic, the Generations celebration could include an Excelsior interior as well, and maybe a Bird of Prey interior that is more inline with what we saw on screen, I personally would like to see ribbons added to the TWOK uniform, like in Undiscovered Country. But did anyone notice Coppers costume or was it just me?
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ENTERPRISE D INTERIOR FOR GREAT JUSTICE.

And the Skant, Troi's outifts, and best milf doctor lab coat. KTHNXBYE.