test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Since you "fixed" people getting stuck in shuttlebay..

jtmarshjtmarsh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Well they are fixing that darn problem with people getting "stuck" on the ESD shuttle bay. ;) I love getting "stuck" in ESD shuttle bay. Happened to be once;) It is quite detailed for just a backdrop. Any chance they have plans to open the area up? It would be a shame to lose such a great place.
Post edited by jtmarsh on

Comments

• aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jtmarsh wrote: »
    Any chance they have plans to open the area up?

They've very specifically said "no" at length more than a few times, and I see no reason to think they've suddenly done a 180 on that.
  • denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It was always intended to be just a backdrop. There are no forcefields on the farther spacedoors, since you can't see them from that angle anyway. Any other 'details,' like turbolifts, are just because they used the existing pieces (intended for up-close use) to build their scenic vista.

I think it looks great. I enjoyed running around the bay on Tribble, but I don't think having it cut off from players really detracts from its impact on the ESD map as a whole.
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Still would be nice if there were certain ways to get into that stuff. Secrets like that are fun.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,450 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Agreed. And frankly, it would have been nice to open up at least that first, finished portion of the shuttlebay for access, as that is VERY well done.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    denizenvi wrote: »
    It was always intended to be just a backdrop. There are no forcefields on the farther spacedoors, since you can't see them from that angle anyway. Any other 'details,' like turbolifts, are just because they used the existing pieces (intended for up-close use) to build their scenic vista.

I think it looks great. I enjoyed running around the bay on Tribble, but I don't think having it cut off from players really detracts from its impact on the ESD map as a whole.
    Yeah there's one part with doors that open and close when you walk up to them. It looks really cool, until you realize that the doors have no interactable geometry and you can walk through them and the wall they're attached to. :D Enh, it's nice either way.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    denizenvi wrote: »

oh contraire mon ami, for the work that has gone into this area i think its a crying shame that players cant access it to fully bask in its awsomeness, you get nowhere near the full glory from the limited vantage point you are given.

i cannot for the life of me imagine what possessed the devs to create this fine area and then block its access for players, a suitable central stairway leading in and out and a couple of forcefields at the rear spacedoors is all it would take to open this area up for players to enjoy, and the area could then be used maybe by the devs at some point in the future but primarilly for players who maybe wish to role play in this fine setting or even just to sight see from time to time.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    As with other games the reason they don't want you getting into areas you shouldn't is because there is a chance it can bork up your character. If that happens they will not help you by recovering your character, now imagine that happening then imagine the posts that would pop up.
  • jtmarshjtmarsh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The place does not need a use. We are "at least some of us" are trekys. I'm not a gamer I am a trek fan;) I love Work Bees!! I love standing around Shuttles like the Embassy. I don't RP but I know some that do. This could be a great added area that is already 80% or more done. Maybe that is where you appear when you beam from the academy. idk what use except its neat and almost done.

Plus I think it is too detailed for it not "at least" at one time planned as part of ESD that you can go to. Maybe they got to busy or behind.
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2014
    jtmarsh wrote: »
    The place does not need a use. We are "at least some of us" are trekys. I'm not a gamer I am a trek fan;) I love Work Bees!! I love standing around Shuttles like the Embassy. I don't RP but I know some that do. This could be a great added area that is already 80% or more done. Maybe that is where you appear when you beam from the academy. idk what use except its neat and almost done.

Plus I think it is too detailed for it not "at least" at one time planned as part of ESD that you can go to. Maybe they got to busy or behind.
    This again, Oh boy.

Tacofangs has stated ON many occasions the shuttlebay was always meant to be a vista area designed so that ESD would seem larger than it actually is. This means it was always supposed to be blocked off. Glitches happened and when it was unfinished the shuttlebay invisible walls were not in prompting people to go bananas when they couldn't get down there.

Long story short, you will not be able to access the shuttlebay by conventional means. Probably forever.
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I wish there was a way to get out into the docking bay. I want to run around on top of one of those ships and wave at people looking at me through the window.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    People can't get "stuck" in an area where the beam-out button is always available. Or you could jump into space, have a nice 5-minute fall with a beautiful view of the Earth and then be unceremoniously dumped back at the transporter pad. And this proves that yes, Starfleet admirals can breathe in space. :D

Personally, I'd say the game has a lot more serious bugs to fix than people going off the rails in a non-combat map. But I suppose they can't let people glitch themselves into these easter-egg areas because some stupid people would inevitably start complaining about the missing walls and stuff. :(
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2014
    oh contraire mon ami, for the work that has gone into this area i think its a crying shame that players cant access it to fully bask in its awsomeness, you get nowhere near the full glory from the limited vantage point you are given.

i cannot for the life of me imagine what possessed the devs to create this fine area and then block its access for players, a suitable central stairway leading in and out and a couple of forcefields at the rear spacedoors is all it would take to open this area up for players to enjoy, and the area could then be used maybe by the devs at some point in the future but primarilly for players who maybe wish to role play in this fine setting or even just to sight see from time to time.

There was a post on STO's subreddit a month or so ago, stating many of the same points.

I'll quote my response from there:
    Me wrote:
    Ok, let me clear some stuff up on the Shuttlebay.

1) It was never intended to be accessible. Things that aren't intended to be seen up close are built in a much different manner than those that are. (See San Francisco vs. SFA). The Shuttlebay IS constructed (not a 2d picture like SF) because it is much closer to the area you are intended to have access to, and if we can build it more realistically, it will feel better (vs. forced perspective GG bridge). It's not black and white, there are many shades of grey, and many levels of detail we can put into things.

2) There is no 'SECRET' future use that the shuttlebay is meant for. When I designed ESD, I thought it would make sense to have a shuttlebay accessible for dignitaries/the Admiral, from a lore standpoint. That's it. We built it to make the whole place feel more alive, and more active. I also thought it would be cool to be able to see shuttles flying by, not just in the docking bay. That is literally the full extent of the intention behind the shuttlebay. The addition of the door to SFA wasn't added until halfway through the Tribble build.

3) It's not a waste just because you can't access it. There are a million maps that have extra areas built onto them that players are not intended to access. See San Francisco to SFA. Or the Reman Section of New Romulus, or the Docking bay on ESD. You will see these in many games. They don't ruin the game, they enhance the feeling of the world. You can't get on top of the buildings inside Ironforge. You can't get into the control rooms in Team Fortress 2. You can't get into the backdrop of Super Mario Bros. None of those things ruin the game, they enhance it.

4) There is collision down there, but it's not because we want players down there, it's for NPCs. NPCs use the same collision as players, and if the floor didn't have collision, the NPCs, which add flavor to the area, would fall through the same as you.

5) I totally understand people wanting to get out there and explore. That's fine. And I have no problem with you doing that through other means that don't affect other player's impression of the station. i.e. Demo Record, or the Foundry. Both would let you explore the space, at your leasure. (Yes, I know it's not in the Foundry yet.) The issue I have, is that people go out there, throw dance parties on top of shuttles, stand in the path of shuttles, jump out of the world, etc. All of which is visible to other players. I know there is a psychological element to this, where you want to flaunt your knowledge, and show off. You feel special for being out there, and that's fine. But, that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I am not "mad," per se. I'm frustrated, and annoyed. I regret that it was ever accessible without a glitch. I am irked that some players will ignore the rest of something we spent months working on, and instead spend their time getting to places we didn't want them to. I hate that there is a glitch in the code that lets you through, and that I have very little I can do about that. And honestly, the more people flaunt it, the more they say "I know how to get in and you can't stop me." the more I want to seal the whole thing off.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • l30p4rdl30p4rd Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A lot of hate there tacofangs. I think people prefer the shuttle bay as it is more trek. By that I mean when I enter ESD I get an overwhelming urge to go shopping !

The good design is restricted and kept from us. The bad design is forced upon us !
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    There was a post on STO's subreddit a month or so ago, stating many of the same points.

While I do understand the points you made Taco, some of us were lucky enough to have walked around that area on the test server and it is AMAZING!

I spent a whole nights gameplay just walking around the shuttlebay and watching the shuttles come and go on tribble plus had friends come over another night as they did not have tribble, so they used my PC to do the same.

I know lots of us are very proud of the work done there and yes, I understand the intention was never there for it to be used, but we are just so excited over how good it is - we'd love any excuse to be able to go in to the shuttlebay properly and walk around..... heck, if there was a mission to mop the shuttlebay floor, I think you'd be shocked at how many people would do it just to watch the shuttles for a bit ;)

Take it as a compliment, because I know lots of people who are moaning about not being able to go down to the shuttles properly, this is why.

Your team did too good a job, now we want the extreme close up views :D
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I am irked that some players will ignore the rest of something we spent months working on, and instead spend their time getting to places we didn't want them to.
    I don't do it because I'm ignoring the rest of ESD. I do it because I love your work and want to look at it from every possible angle. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • alpharaider47#7707 alpharaider47 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Good thing I got in and snapped my pictures. Now we'll just have to go back to finding new inventive ways to get back in. :p

That said, I appreciate the work that goes into these spaces, and I respect tacofangs' opinion on the issue. I think it's possible to both explore the space and attempt to respect the feelings of immersion that I believe the devs were hoping to instill, but perhaps we the players lack the maturity for that at this time.
    sFfAcbR.jpg
    STO Beta Test and Launch Veteran
  • rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well if you guys are going to fix the shuttle bay they you can fix the glitch where people can get out side the operations windows and run around the outside of the hull. Just sayin'

(Waits to be shot in 5.4.3.2.1....)
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
    edited May 2014
    'Tacofangs quoted'

"I am not "mad," per se. I'm frustrated, and annoyed. I regret that it was ever accessible without a glitch. I am irked that some players will ignore the rest of something we spent months working on, and instead spend their time getting to places we didn't want them to. I hate that there is a glitch in the code that lets you through, and that I have very little I can do about that. And honestly, the more people flaunt it, the more they say "I know how to get in and you can't stop me." the more I want to seal the whole thing off."

That is extremely unfair taco mate. Very, VERY. Unfair. Many of us went out there (i admit, twice plus the demo on Tribble to which I videoed and was watched by many and enjoyed including members of staff!) Has it occurred people wanted to explore around it because you DID do a fantastic job of it and appreciate what you guys have done. Please don't tar us with the same brush mate.
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Cryptic does this alot. They create nice backdrops or mission maps and cut them off from the player or forget about them completely. This reminds me of how awesome the prison is on mission 4028. The mission where you release the Founder and the jem'hadar attack. That is such a awesome map but crytic has left it alone. They made that entire prison for just one mission. There is so much potential in the prison, pvp or pve. Same thing with the ESD shuttle bay. It would be awesome to be able to just go there to get in a shuttle craft and fly it to star fleet academy. Something very simple but, would add something very awesome to the game. Theres way more maps that could be used. I think the greatest potential tho is in the maps of our ships. Flying through certain parts of space and getting a hail saying that your ship has been borded by a unknown entity. You could then search your ship. Sometimes it would be hostile or sometimes it might just be explorers wanting to investigate your ship (like the voth did in a episode of Voyageer). All these maps. Cryptic is setting on a pot of gold and they don't even know it.
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    .... There is so much potential in the prison, pvp or pve......

O

M

G

!

4028 as a PvP map would be so AWESOME.
    edited May 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    4028 as a PvP map would be so AWESOME.

"As a PvP map," or "as an STO PvP map?" ;)
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Well Taco, You're wrong... Really Wrong.

I can entirely understand that you feel frustrated about bugs that you can't do anything about, BUT:

What we did, was the greatest form of flattery a enviroment artist like yourself could be rewarded with: People who LOOK for way to get into an area that they are cut off from, is a sign of excelent work that people will do anything to see up close... And then once they've been there, they go back because it was pure awesome...

And then they share it with others, and how to get there... because it's pure awesomeness.

Ok, it's anoying that people see the areas you didn have to give too much attention, but really... It's praise to you and the others who worked on the shuttlebay... And for the same reason, people will find new ways to go there... Not to anoy you or feel above others... But because awesomesauce is awesome, and you have to see it up close.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Players are like children, you tell them they can't go in there so they whine how they need to go in there.

If the shuttle-bay was accessible, they would just whine it looks rushed and you need to fix it.

Anyway i could careless about a shuttle-bay, they barley had them on the show, hell you never saw the Enterprise D main shuttle-bay

Just think of it as a homage to all the background paintings in Star Trek.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014

It seems to me that if the design intentions include imagining how Foundry authors will use it to let players explore that space, and using the Foundry as a justification for why it is inaccessible... maybe there could be door there, if there isn't. And maybe a few things could be tagged.

We have a runabout ground prop. We have to build the rest of a shuttle bay out of stone walls.
    Yes, I know it's not in the Foundry yet.

And you also know that if something isn't put in the Foundry during the time of its creation, it will probably never be put in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm glad Cryptic was able to fix this game breaking issue so fast, as opposed to the many other bugs that have been with us for a year or more.
    edited May 2014
    sonnikku wrote: »
    I'm glad Cryptic was able to fix this game breaking issue so fast, as opposed to the many other bugs that have been with us for a year or more.

Gotta keep those priorities straight.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2014
    You guys say it's flattery, and that's appreciated, but from my side of things, it's a different story.

(Also from the above quoted Reddit thread)
    Me wrote:
    To extrapolate a bit; For me, for the artists that work on this game (any game really), we spend months working on a painting. We put our heart and soul into the painting. We try to make everything as good as we can possibly make it. We put it in a gallery, we hang it on the wall, we light it just right. And on opening night, everyone rushes into the room, and starts inspecting the bench sitting in front of the painting. Then, if/when we remove the bench, to try and focus people's attentions on the painting that was meant to be the focal point in the first place, everyone complains about how much they love that bench, and how we've ruined the gallery by removing the bench.

I hope you can understand how depressing and frustrating that can be.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2014
    You guys say it's flattery, and that's appreciated, but from my side of things, it's a different story.

You have a very solid point there, but consider that there's nothing preventing people from liking both the painting and the bench, although in this case I'd say that the shuttlebay is more like... the frame of the painting. It had less effort put into it because it wasn't something that people were going to focus on- rather, it was something they'd see while looking at the real painting- but people should be welcome to like the frame *and* the painting, and I don't think anyone is suggesting that the painting is worthless and all we should have is the frame.

Also a consideration is that Star Trek Online has a serious lack of player accessible shuttle bays. There's only one shuttlebay in the entire game that can be accessed outside of missions, and that's the romulan embassy. There are no ship shuttlebays, for obvious reasons, there are no station shuttlebays, no starbase shuttlebays, no freighter shuttlebays, no planetside shuttlebays except the romulan embassy.

There are however a number of those that are partially completed for various reasons that are not hooked up or accessible, and to a lot of players, finding ways into those spaces to go explore them is something that seems to attract a lot of attention.

I imagine some of it is just getting to where other people can't go, and some of it is likely a matter of people just really liking shuttlebays.

I mean there are other places you can go on the new ESD to get outside the map, there were other places on SFA back when you could do that- but everyone wanted, talked about, and did their best to get into the shuttlebay.

Also, the shuttlebay on ESD has the most closely viewable animation, in parts, so that's something people like too. I've been down to the other end of it, and obviously it's not a finished space nor meant to be. But it is something that has a certain attraction to it for players, and that in no way diminishes the respect or enjoyment we have of the rest of the station and all the other work you guys have done.

I think the best way to describe it is... If you've ever watched the Animatrix, there's this one short where some kids find an abandoned house with a glitch in the matrix that basically turns off gravity in places, and they're all having fun and ****. And then a bunch of agents in hazmat suits storm the place one day, block it off, and 'process it', and when the kids come back, it's just a normal house interior. The magic is gone.

The same sort of thing happens with cordened off spaces in STO and other games, particularly if it's something not everyone knows how to get into, and is a fun place to be. That exclusivity and uniqueness of the space is really attractive, but when the space is 'fixed' and blocked off for access, the way it was 'meant' to be, that magic of experience goes away.

Players will always try to find places that they can get to that other players may not easily be able to get to, and they will always lament when those places are either opened up to everyone, or blocked off- because in either case they are losing a sort of magic that attracted them to it in the first place. Unfortunately there's not a lot that can be done about that.
    edited May 2014

Yeah you are right mate, it is flattery but we have to take into account your side. i want to say STo is the best and most creative MMO's I have ever played. I love every minute of it. Long may it last.
    I apologize if any words i said offended in any way, none was ever meant.

I'm an artist myself, i paint and draw and design but for my own enjoyment (although I am film trained but I never pursued it.) So I know how passionate you must feel towards your work.

Never fear Taco, your art and that of your fellow STo develpers is appreciated. Thank you. :D
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited May 2014

To be fair, it was a really nice bench. :D
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!