test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

When will enough be enough?

sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
You know it's a bloody shame that we cannot have a server that has no lockboxes or lockbox ships on it. Make it an option available for those who subscribe to the game. The lockbox TRIBBLE is the one bit of content I would pay to have removed from my game. Those who want it can keep it, but as I don't play the lockbox lottery, and I don't see that changing anytime soon, Give me the option to resub, and copy my main character over to it the way I can with Tribble.

Or why not just make it where those using anything Lobi-related cannot be in the same instances with those who do not. That might be the better solution. There is precedence for something like that with the difficulty mode settings which allow players to be subject to different rulesets.

Give us a switch to flip that lets us turn EVERYTHING lobi off. It needs to be all or nothing. Anything lobi-related in our inventory or equipped would prevent the switch from working. Let those who don't give even one millionth of a damn about Star Trek have their lobi trash. Let the rest of us who want a game that even remotely TRIES to be true to Trek not have to look at them or their lobi trash.

And oh... with the anti-lobi switch active, make it so where we never see another "So-and-so just got a [InsetyLockboxShip]! message flash on the screen.

Please, Cryptic. For the love of GOD, when will enough be enough? As far as I am concern, it already is!
"There can be no meeting of the minds between two parties
if both parties are not willing to meet in the middle."
-Ambassador Samuel J. Stone
Post edited by sirsitsalot on

Comments

• jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You know it's a bloody shame that we cannot have a server that has no lockboxes or lockbox ships on it. Make it an option available for those who subscribe to the game. The lockbox TRIBBLE is the one bit of content I would pay to have removed from my game. Those who want it can keep it, but as I don't play the lockbox lottery, and I don't see that changing anytime soon, Give me the option to resub, and copy my main character over to it the way I can with Tribble.

Or why not just make it where those using anything Lobi-related cannot be in the same instances with those who do not. That might be the better solution. There is precedence for something like that with the difficulty mode settings which allow players to be subject to different rulesets.

Give us a switch to flip that lets us turn EVERYTHING lobi off. It needs to be all or nothing. Anything lobi-related in our inventory or equipped would prevent the switch from working. Let those who don't give even one millionth of a damn about Star Trek have their lobi trash. Let the rest of us who want a game that even remotely TRIES to be true to Trek not have to look at them or their lobi trash.

And oh... with the anti-lobi switch active, make it so where we never see another "So-and-so just got a [InsetyLockboxShip]! message flash on the screen.

Please, Cryptic. For the love of GOD, when will enough be enough? As far as I am concern, it already is!

I have 1 lockbox ship, on 1 of 10 level 50 characters - I bought it from the exchange for 97 million EC.

I worked hard for that EC

And you want to tell me, when and where I can use it !?!?!?!?!

If you do not like the game in its current state.... then don't play it!!!! (d'uh)
    No one is forcing you to come to these forums or log in to this game.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Askray
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The problem is, they make far more money of lockboxes than any other income stream - it's their bread and butter.

Feeding off the gambling addictions of people too stupid to know better. Whey for capitalism!

(In the interests of balance, I opened 50 lockboxes today out of boredom, but I bought keys off the exchange at a stupid inflated price. 2.4m? Really? Pfft)

Thankfully over the past coupla days I almost semi-broke even through getting a few boxes of leech.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited April 2014

ok show us on the Enterprise model where the big bad lockbox ship touched you. It will be ok son.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    ok show us on the Enterprise model where the big bad lockbox ship touched you. It will be ok son.

LMFAO !!!!!

Pure gold !!!

This is why I love these forums so much !!!!
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I don't see these messages at all since I had the forethought to turning off the notification of those in my settings. Apparently, that's too difficult for some people to even imagine to do.

By the way, I don't mind that there are going to be Undine ships flying around and stuff, why? It doesn't really faze me about what another player does with his or her time. If they want the ships (any ships), then more power to them.

As for asking for another server: no, it is definitely not needed.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    my game.

I'm afraid you're terribly mistaken. This is not your game. It was never your game, and it will never be your game. It is not my game or anyone else's. It's Cryptic's game. It's Perfect World's game. They may consider fan input here and there, but in the end, they can do whatever the hell they want. And if all this lockbox nonsense is what they want to do, especially if it sells, then they're free to do it.

You can learn to deal with it, move on to something else, or continue to entertain the masses and whine about it on your soapbox.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Immersion and everyone behaving like professional officers and so on, that would all be quite nice. However its never going to happen, particularly when that stuff is the game's biggest moneymaker. Best you can do is stick to the solo content as much as possible and hope they'll release more of it.
  • aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You could always, you know...turn off fly-by notifications...

They are never going to give us a second server, simply because you don't like seeing lockbox ships flying around. Some people buy them off the exchange, too; not everyone has a 'gambling problem" if they have a lockbox ship. I bought 1 key off the exchange last year, just to open a box for the hell of it. I got the Adapted Destroyer.

Sorry, but if it bothers you that much...quit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited April 2014

Bro, it is as simple as, if you don't like lockboxes... Then DON'T use them or open them, as far as the ships... The same thing... You don't like it, then DON't USE THEM....

It is as simple as that...
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    edited April 2014

A second server setup like you describe would cost extra money in terms of dev time, extra equipment cost, etc. Yes, Cryptic offers a subscription option for STO; but at this point, it's more of a 'grandfathered in' aspect as they don't make a lot of profit from it (and make no mistake, profit is ALL the Cryptic/PWE suits care about. They do realize they have to have some content the playerbase finds fun and enjoyable, but that's done just to make sure goal #1 is served. Bottom line: ATM, they probably make the majority of their profit from people buying Zen to buy lockbox keys (and for people saying "Hey, I only buy lockbox keys from the EC exchange..."; remember, SOMEONE paid Zen for that key at some point, so Cryptic/PWE was paid in real cash)
    ^^^
    As long as this paradigm continues. you will see new lockboxes, lockbox revamps, etc. You won't see a private subscription server with no lockboxes because that in the long run would cut into/take away from their prime profit model. In the end, for Cryptic/PWE (and CBS who licenses the IP rights to Cryptic); the primary concern is profit and return on investment; all, other concerns are secondary, and everything done for the game is in pursuit of making a BIG profit.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Capitalism has its dark side. It is called Greed. People try to synonymize the two. But with fiscal responsibility and fair treatment of employees, capitalism is very profitable for all parties involved in the endeavor.

I have no problem with Cryptic wanting to capitalize on profits by catering to people who do not mind spending the money on it. What I have a problem with is them shoving it down the throats of those who want no part of it, and not even pretending to care about the integrity of the IP their core product is supposed to be based upon.

Some of us don't want any part of that, which includes not wanting to SEE it. What I suggest would give us that option while still granting total freedom to see and partake in it to those who don't really care.
    Regarding the bolded part: keep that dream going since that's all it is, a dream. Cryptic does not need to do it, nor is it required for Cryptic to do it.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The problem with the Locker Box Ships is that they are way to powerful compared to most of the Fleet Ships and only 3-Pack C-Store ships can keep up with them.
    Bridger.png
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,450 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Some of us don't want any part of that, which includes not wanting to SEE it. What I suggest would give us that option while still granting total freedom to see and partake in it to those who don't really care.
    You have the option already: Alt-F4 will deactivate all Lobi/Lockbox related game activities.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm no fan of lock boxes, the ships and items I have no problem with, I would love to see these items available in the c-store, but lock boxes are a big money maker for PWE so short of a federal gaming regulator coming in and saying no more in-game gambling, it's not going to stop for the simple reason that they make more money distributing ships through the lock box system than through sales in the c-store, it stinks but there it is.
    That issue aside it's pretty arrogant to declare that anyone who uses lock box content doesn't care about Star Trek, I for one have had my fill of this elitist psycho Trek nerdrage, talking about the franchise like it's some kind of religion, it's just fiction, get over it.
    People who have spent money on lock boxes have as much right to play the game as you do, if you don't want to see the reward announcements you can turn it off in notifications, if you really can't stand the sight of lock box ships, well, nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to log in.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    [Takes the enterprise model]
    [smashes enterprise model on the floor]
    [gestures to all the broken pieces]

There!

You broke your little ships.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    The lockboxes are no different that Team Fortress 2's crates. Buy a key, take a chance on something shiny. I admit the actual Undine ships are a bit of a stretch, but I rationalize most non faction ships like those from the lockboxes as captured enemy ships. And we all know that it is canon for a captured ship to be flown by Starfleet.

Also... you did neglect to mention the Mirror ships, which actually do have their advantages. Maybe you like the BOff seating of the Deep Space Science ship, but hate the design. Where here ya go! One Luna class DSSV!

OP's ranting asside, is it really necessary to penalize people who have a lockbox/lobi ship or gear? I got a Tachyokinetic Converter and 6 Phased Tetryon Beam arrays on my Main's Assault Cruiser, and I love it. I got Destabilizing Tetryon weapons on another character, Polarized Disruptors on another...

By now everyone's probably got something from a lockbox or the Lobi store. Would you seriously penalize someone who has even 1 console or even a costume unlock? Because the way you described your idea... that's EXACTLY what it sounds like.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    It's Cryptic's game. It's Perfect World's game. They may consider fan input here and there, but in the end, they can do whatever the hell they want. And if all this lockbox nonsense is what they want to do, especially if it sells, then they're free to do it.

Cryptic has probed millions of times, that they never take in consideration anything from the forums lol.

This is just a place where people can write everything they want, but thats all. I think everybody knows that at this time.
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The op post has no sense. Lobi ships are even more expensive than c-store ones (paying 90 million EC is really more expensive than paying 2000 zen in the c-store). In any case, users with lobi ships will have preference lol. And if we talk about whinning, lets nerf all the scimitars then.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Facepaw.

10chars.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Here's a solution.... don't like it? Don't buy keys and open lock boxes. Problem solved.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    STO still has one of the best F2P models out there, as even an F2P player is able to get the nice shiny stuff, unlike say... TOR, where to even have access to a BANK costs money.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)