test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why IMO Voyager Sucked . . .

Comments

• ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Voyager may not have been the greatest series, but it was far better than DS9. How lazy do you have to be to think that a show based on a space station in the middle of nowhere that doesn't go anywhere is entertaining? Even the episodes during the dominion occupation were boring as hell. The show is called star TREK. To trek means to go somewhere. Which in DS9, they really didn't.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited April 2014
    Voyager was the first series I didn't record, or go out of my way to watch.

The premise had potential.

There were a few good episodes that I eventually saw in reruns. Seven was ... interesting. Year of Hell was great, Scorpion was cool. But once we started have warp-10 amphibian babies, and Captain Proton more than once, I was quite happy to watch anything else.

I remember watching the finale and being grossly disappointed. You're home, and roll credits. Seemed lackluster. Almost as bad as the ending to Enterprise.

I did watch Enterprise. A little lackluster in the first 2 seasons. The third season was awesome, but too little too late. The ending was so bad it is now legendary. Almost as bad as HIMYM.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I never liked this super clean cut blatant rip-off of BSG.

Actually, Voyager was produced before nBSG in the mid-90s following the end of TNG. In fact, Moore - one of the writers for Voyager - joined nBSG as producer as a way to explore the issues that Voyager should have had but which the Producers wouldn't allow him to write at the time.

So, if anything, nBSG ripped off Voyager. ;)
    edited April 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    Voyager may not have been the greatest series, but it was far better than DS9. How lazy do you have to be to think that a show based on a space station in the middle of nowhere that doesn't go anywhere is entertaining? Even the episodes during the dominion occupation were boring as hell. The show is called star TREK. To trek means to go somewhere. Which in DS9, they really didn't.

I suggest you watch Babylon 5. It's a phenomenal show which, like DS9, was set on a Space Station in neutral territory. It was a great show great writing, great casting and great Special FX for the time.
    edited April 2014

Really?

The exploration of life and religion, new cultures and threats from the far side of the galaxy was trek enough?

The best ongoing storylines in modern tv-sf?

The best villians in Star Trek since the Borg?

The single best hour of television in the 90's with 'In the Pale Moonlight'? <---if you argue this, I will say really mean things about you that will almost violate the posting terms and conditions.

So much combat you could TRIBBLE duranium shadows?

I'll agree it wasn't monsters of the week in our shiny spaceship. But for the 90's it was a nice change of pace for what some might call a tired format.
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Even I find Seven physically attractive, although I prefer Jadzia Dax and Alice Krige's Borg Queen. Seven gets impossibly irritating every time she opens her mouth.

I mean, SHOW SOME FREAKING PERSONALITY, WOMAN!!!!!

Women with attitude are more attractive than busty blond sex objects. Alice Krige's TRIBBLE act is hotter than Seven of Nine. Simple facts of life...

What Voyager should've done is bring in Alice Krige as an ex-Borg instead of Jeri Ryan, keep her in that suit she wore in First Contact, and let her do her thing. She'd have half the crew licking her boots and begging to be whipped in about 30 minutes, but at least she'd be more than a pair of TRIBBLE.

I'm gonna disagree with you about Seven of Nine.

It's true that her introduction to the series, and that catsuit, were horrible examples of the worst kind of pandering to the audience (or who the producers expected the audience to be, and what they would want).

However, by the end of the series, she and the Doctor were the best-developed, most consistent characters on the show. I can understand if you didn't like Jeri Ryan's portrayal, but I think she probably played the character the way she was instructed to. I thought she was good particularly when she was using her cold demeanor to conceal underlying panic.

I'm sure it's possible to write a thoughtful, nuanced critique of DS9 which eloquently explains what you didn't like about it, but you, sir, didn't quite get there. :rolleyes:
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    never cared for "seven of TRIBBLE" when the producers brought Jeri Ryan to the show.. her acting on stage only proved it. she was nothing more then the wooden sex object. i found the episodes with the doctor more interesting to watch and his self occupation with being a free lifeform on the ship.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited April 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Actually, Voyager was produced before nBSG in the mid-90s following the end of TNG.

I assumed that poster meant the original, 1970s BSG.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I suggest you watch Babylon 5. It's a phenomenal show which, like DS9, was set on a Space Station in neutral territory. It was a great show great writing, great casting and great Special FX for the time.

Agreed, but fair warning, a lot of the VFX shots on the DVD version suck because it's the original TV release. They wanted to re-render it all but apparently the files got misplaced so it would've meant doing it all over from scratch.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    I'm gonna disagree with you about Seven of Nine.

It's true that her introduction to the series, and that catsuit, were horrible examples of the worst kind of pandering to the audience (or who the producers expected the audience to be, and what they would want).

However, by the end of the series, she and the Doctor were the best-developed, most consistent characters on the show. I can understand if you didn't like Jeri Ryan's portrayal, but I think she probably played the character the way she was instructed to. I thought she was good particularly when she was using her cold demeanor to conceal underlying panic.

Sure, but I would've preferred a more interesting character from the start.

I'm not going to sit around the next 3 or 4 JJverse movies waiting for Alice Eve's character to become anything other than a generic love interest. I AM going to watch them (especially now that JJ is gone, hopefully for good) to see Alternate Uhura and Alternate Spock's relationship, because Zoe Saldana projects actual emotion, and Uhura (even her JJ version) was an interesting character from the start.

I actually screamed "NNNOOOOO!!!!!" when the Borg Queen died in First Contact. I LIKED her as a villain. She was sexy, and deliciously evil, the perfect counterpart to Picard and with the acting chops to hold her own in a room with both Brent Spiner and Sir Patrick f*cking Stewart. I would've LOVED to see her in 2 or 3 more movies. I'd have LOVED to have Alice Krige play an ex-Borg TRIBBLE in shiny black exoplating for 3.5 seasons of Voyager, and I would've enjoyed her from the start as a character, not just a body.

The endless line of Borg Queens in Voyager was like a slap in the face to the character of the Borg Queen.
    edited April 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Agreed, but fair warning, a lot of the VFX shots on the DVD version suck because it's the original TV release. They wanted to re-render it all but apparently the files got misplaced so it would've meant doing it all over from scratch.

Personally, while I agree those graphics are dated by today's standards, I think they have a certain charm that I personally prefer.

That being said, I would buy a remastered version with TLT-level effects in a heartbeat. ;) I'm probably one of the few people who actually really liked the first half of TLT, tbh. Seriously, I thought it was great.
  • hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I liked voyager.

I'm not gonna deny it had problems nor that it missed out on the great potential of the setting but there are loads of episodes that I really enjoyed.

Plus I liked Tuvok, The Doctor and B'elanna. Oh and the psycho betazoid while he was there. I also liked Seven of Nine at the start when she had a vulnerability and unsteadiness to her character, then they went and changed her to a "hard faced" know it all.

Oh and the whole Seska story arc was pretty nifty.

I actually liked Scorpion as well. Part one at least.

Hated Fairhaven and the freaky hologram sex Janeway had.
    edited April 2014
    starswordc wrote: »

B5 certainly had it's great moments. The over-arching story was amazing, if not for a few minor misteps like grabbing names and events right out of Lord of the Rings. JMZ admits he borrowed heavily from many sources ;)

Computer animation aside (which also has it's charms), B5 really excelled in it's story telling. The races were amazing - Vorlon, Mimbari, Cenatari and Narn. Simply put the best characters ever... never quite sure if they were bad guys or good guys, because as in real life we're all a little of both.

Andreas Kutsulas AMAZING as G'Kar. Peter Jurasik as the bombastic Londo. For these two alone this series is worth rewatching.

My favourite though Is Jerry Doyle as MIST-TAH GAR-I-BALDEEE (bad Centari accent).

Can't say enough good things about the series. But again, the computer graphics scream 1980. If you can overlook that, it's a jem worth watching.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Sure, but I would've preferred a more interesting character from the start.

I'm not going to sit around the next 3 or 4 JJverse movies waiting for Alice Eve's character to become anything other than a generic love interest. I AM going to watch them (especially now that JJ is gone, hopefully for good) to see Alternate Uhura and Alternate Spock's relationship, because Zoe Saldana projects actual emotion, and Uhura (even her JJ version) was an interesting character from the start.

I actually screamed "NNNOOOOO!!!!!" when the Borg Queen died in First Contact. I LIKED her as a villain. She was sexy, and deliciously evil, the perfect counterpart to Picard and with the acting chops to hold her own in a room with both Brent Spiner and Sir Patrick f*cking Stewart. I would've LOVED to see her in 2 or 3 more movies. I'd have LOVED to have Alice Krige play an ex-Borg TRIBBLE in shiny black exoplating for 3.5 seasons of Voyager, and I would've enjoyed her from the start as a character, not just a body.

The endless line of Borg Queens in Voyager was like a slap in the face to the character of the Borg Queen.

Susanna Thompson back the day was very attractive as well. She made a good borg queen as well so dont forget her role either.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited April 2014
    B5 certainly had it's great moments. The over-arching story was amazing, if not for a few minor misteps like grabbing names and events right out of Lord of the Rings. JMZ admits he borrowed heavily from many sources ;)

Computer animation aside (which also has it's charms), B5 really excelled in it's story telling. The races were amazing - Vorlon, Mimbari, Cenatari and Narn. Simply put the best characters ever... never quite sure if they were bad guys or good guys, because as in real life we're all a little of both.

Andreas Kutsulas AMAZING as G'Kar. Peter Jurasik as the bombastic Londo. For these two alone this series is worth rewatching.

My favourite though Is Jerry Doyle as MIST-TAH GAR-I-BALDEEE (bad Centari accent).

Can't say enough good things about the series. But again, the computer graphics scream 1980. If you can overlook that, it's a jem worth watching.

I think the space CGI starting around Season 3 or so holds up reasonably well (for its day).

The show truly suffers in any scene featuring live-action characters with any kind of CGI background, as those are the scenes for which the original film was lost, and they couldn't restore.

Also...I love B5 dearly, I really do, but I think there are large amounts of dialogue that don't hold up too well by today's standards. It can be extremely overwrought.

That said, the plots and characters are amazing, and I would heartily recommend the series to anyone, as long as they're willing to put up with the aspects that haven't aged well.
    edited April 2014

Probably my favourite moment, which I now re-enact whenever a quest-giver pops up in sector space:

"What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?!"

Also;

"Mister Garibaldi! Your sitting at my station, using my console. Is there a reason for this, or to save time should I just go ahead and snap your hands off at the wrists?"

And, of course, the Babylon 5 mantra. :P
  • mm06360mm06360 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Probably my favourite moment, which I now re-enact whenever a quest-giver pops up in sector space:

"What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?!"

Also;

"Mister Garibaldi! Your sitting at my station, using my console. Is there a reason for this, or to save time should I just go ahead and snap your hands off at the wrists?"

And, of course, the Babylon 5 mantra. :P

Mollari was at his best when he off Lord Reefa (who totally deserved it.)

And remember Ivanova's response to the prank.

"GARABALDI! YOU'RE A DEAD MAN!"
    edited April 2014
    mm06360 wrote: »
    Mollari was at his best when he off Lord Reefa (who totally deserved it.)

And remember Ivanova's response to the prank.

"GARABALDI! YOU'RE A DEAD MAN!"

Hahah!

We should start a thread just about everyone's favourite moments from B5!
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Too MUCH coffee... Bouncin' off the virtual walls... A little snappy... Sory...
    I know that feeling.

But in all seriousness, I don't. I wish I had a smaller tolerance.

But in all actual seriousness, I think Voyager had a lot of potential with exploration and survivalism, but they didn't really push it enough. I didn't want to see a multi-season chase scene. I wanted to see a scrappy crew that had to deal with potentially abandoning protocol for the basic tenant of survival.

Did I get that? Sorta not really. It would have been much bloody nicer to have a show that epitomized that.

Now I want to go back to Burning Man.
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I know that feeling.

But in all seriousness, I don't. I wish I had a smaller tolerance.

But in all actual seriousness, I think Voyager had a lot of potential with exploration and survivalism, but they didn't really push it enough. I didn't want to see a multi-season chase scene. I wanted to see a scrappy crew that had to deal with potentially abandoning protocol for the basic tenant of survival.

Did I get that? Sorta not really. It would have been much bloody nicer to have a show that epitomized that.

Now I want to go back to Burning Man.

Agreed. But at the very least it gave us a Villian Protagonist that has made many many internet parodies (like SF Debris) that brings much enjoyment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
    edited April 2014
    Agreed. But at the very least it gave us a Villian Protagonist that has made many many internet parodies (like SF Debris) that brings much enjoyment.
    Right. Which was cool and all, but I still feel cheated out of what was a huge potential story premise:

Taking the Federation out of a Federation ship.
  • mm06360mm06360 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I was so waiting for SF Debris to do Living Witness.
    edited April 2014
    Right. Which was cool and all, but I still feel cheated out of what was a huge potential story premise:

Taking the Federation out of a Federation ship.

Agreed. Voyager was wasted potential.
    mm06360 wrote: »
    I was so waiting for SF Debris to do Living Witness.

He did it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited April 2014
    Agreed. Voyager was wasted potential.

But atleast they wrote in one of the best villains of all time. I mean just look at Janeway!

I kid, I kid. How could I hate another woman so passionate about coffee?
    edited April 2014
    But atleast they wrote in one of the best villains of all time. I mean just look at Janeway!

You can't she's the GLADoS of Star Trek.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Personally, I love that they stuck a Borg drone into an outfit pulled straight out of a 1978 disco...

(that song is like a temporal anomaly... I keep losing hours of time every time I put it on... okay maybe I'll listen to it again just one more time)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Tuvix, Scorpion, Threshold, that one where she just lets a species die without so much as an anonymous note.

She's so poorly-written that she's a freaking monster at face value.
    edited April 2014
    You can't she's the GLADoS of Star Trek.

I see GLADoS and raise you my childhood favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQtZPNjc2gY
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Personally, while I agree those graphics are dated by today's standards, I think they have a certain charm that I personally prefer.

That being said, I would buy a remastered version with TLT-level effects in a heartbeat. ;) I'm probably one of the few people who actually really liked the first half of TLT, tbh. Seriously, I thought it was great.

Actually, what I meant was that the video quality noticeably drops when they switch from live-action to CGI, or even live-action to live-action-with-PPG-bolts. The graphics themselves are still cool to look at 20 years later.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I see GLADoS and raise you my childhood favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQtZPNjc2gY

"childhood favorite"