test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not happy about the rep system rewards only 4 active at a time

Comments

• greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Then simply cap it at the current system!!! Would that be too hard for Cryptic.
    That limits the ability to develop future content using this system, which is a stupid move for any game developer, especially one working on an MMO.

If you mean cap the number of powers, that could have worked but even 5 is a bit much and it helps to address the wall of "Oh ****, i need to do this" new players have to deal with (which either means they do it, they ignore it and therefor are never optimal (which means content can never be designed around people who have rep powers and those who don't, which makes more challenging content harder to make), or they just leave the game.
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No, I'm not defending it. I'm trying to explain what was written about it.

I'll make it really simple:

- Blog post says the change is being made to deal with potential powercreep inherent in the system as more and more passives keep getting added.

- Players freak out saying that this change doesn't stop powercreep because DPS in ISE is up and Vapers in PVP keep Vaping.

- The disconnect is the word powercreep. People think that the change is being made to deal with what they perceive is powercreep in the game right now.

I'm not defending the change. I'm trying to explain that it's not being made to deal with the powercreep half you people think it is being made to deal with. I'm essentially taking people to task for NOT READING THE BLOG or reading it and just not understanding what they read. Though I'd say with the overflow of posts on this topic, most people just read the forum comments and NOT the blog.

Heck I can point right at you Viv, as a poster who ranted about this change without bothering to test it on Tribble first. Though you then went on Tribble to test it. But still ... most posters are going off half-cocked. And in the case of the word powercreep, it's completely warped what people think this change is about.

It's not about 80K Deeps.

It's about their reputation infrastructure.

Which, as the blog says, can't scale infinitely.

I do not disagree with you. I simply think keeping the cap at what the reputation system is now would have been a simplier and also less controversial topic.

Yes. Cap is needed.

and How Cryptic handled it is not in the interest of veterans time spent.Cryptic handling Horrible
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    That limits the ability to develop future content, which is a stupid move fro any game developer, especially one working on an MMO.

Then after each 2 new reps system add a additional slot but Cryptic will not do that either.
  • adorenkoadorenko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    and How Cryptic handled it is not in the interest of veterans time spent.Cryptic handling Horrible

This is my biggest issue with this change.
    Looking for more info on Dilithium Rising? Click on the link below:

[SIGPIC]Click here to visit my STO YouTube channel[/SIGPIC]
  • rocmistrocmist Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I just like having another way to customize myself that doesn't require me to spend money to change.

+1

That's one thing I like about the new rep system, I have 5 characters and various ships for each. I can now choose the best powers for the situation/ship without having to spend zen to do it!

On a slightly related note; I also like the new kit changes, because I can carry the modules and change them for the mission that I am going to go onto.

Overall more customisations and choice is something that I prefer, I know that is not to everyone's liking ... but what can you do.
    edited April 2014
    Then after each 2 new reps system add a additional slot but Cryptic will not do that either.
    *shrug* That's not really a needed change. Now you get choice, as a veteran, that if you don't want gear from a particular rep you don't need to do it (also a good change) if the passives don't interest you. Which I see a lot of people saying as well.

I mean they could remove passives all together. That would also fix the problem they are trying to fix.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I do not disagree with you. I simply think keeping the cap at what the reputation system is now would have been a simplier and also less controversial topic.

Yes. Cap is needed.

See, all this? This is good stuff. This is feedback. This is discussing what was written and trying to get the discussion moving and what not.

:)

Me? I keep getting stuck in the bog when someone new shows up and starts in on how this doesn't affect powercreep or asks why Cryptic is doing this, what their logic is.

It's a hangup I have I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    adorenko wrote: »
    On your first point, I doubt new players, supposing no change to the system, would say, "ahh TRIBBLE I gotta grind 5 reps to tier 5 to get all these passives? That's it TRIBBLE it I'm not playing this game!" More than likely most wouldn't even know about rep until a month in and no matter which way this system were to have gone I doubt there quitting would not be attributed to the rep.

To your second point, I only started back in January and I am tier 5 in Dyson and Omega and tier 4 in the other two. Not that much need be paid to achieving this, other than playing the game as you would anyway.

As to the rep change, I'm not a huge fan of it but I'll deal with it.

We are still talking relatively few Rep systems, and if you're telling me you've only spend 1 hour online each day, and still got that far in the rep system.

Ok, granted, right now, this instant, getting through the rep systems aren't THAT bad. But you have to skip ahead a year or two... The more they add, the more unreachable certain goals will seem (and be)... Not everyone has their life to waste away on this game (like you and I do).

It's the #1 reason I don't play EvE, and the "random prototype tech drops" pre-rep almost made me stop playing STO... I simply don't like unobtainable goals.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    edited April 2014
    I just like having another way to customize myself that doesn't require me to spend money to change.

This is one nice part of the change, not having to spend real money to respec. #silverlinings

• gonzothegreat78gonzothegreat78 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    don't worry it'll cost plenty of zen for you to respec these powers on your 5 toons with 5 ships each.

this will not be the last change i'm guessing so how will you predict if your skill will be the way you want or not? you can't

obvious future professional wallet removal

alot of people will see a mistake they made in choosing powers and will pay to respec = mo money
  • cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I do hope they cap the rep system grinds soon. 5 is a good number to have, 8 maybe the max tho. Any more than that i cant see anyone doing for new players due to how much to do and i dont want to think about having to do more than 5 reps per alt if at all possible cos frankly id rather just quit than do all that work for a alt. Even with the rep bonus alts can have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    I do hope they cap the rep system grinds soon. 5 is a good number to have, 8 maybe the max tho. Any more than that i cant see anyone doing for new players due to how much to do and i dont want to think about having to do more than 5 reps per alt if at all possible cos frankly id rather just quit than do all that work for a alt. Even with the rep bonus alts can have.

Oh trust me... They would'n make these changes if they were going to stop making rep systems eventually.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2014
    we here in the forums are but a tiny part of the player base

However a great many of us are leaders in fleets some fleets quite large

Feedback in my fleet is almost totally negative to these changes about 80%

I feel much anger from the player base when this goes active and i wont blame them for being angry..............There is no reason the current system could not have been locked where it is

and new rep passives having to be switched out for old ones

very poor buisness pratice that will cost them customers from angry people who leave then spread there anger to people who may be considering the game.

poor buisness pratice
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
    edited April 2014
    don't worry it'll cost plenty of zen for you to respec these powers on your 5 toons with 5 ships each.

It's already been announced that it will be free.
    edited April 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    We are still talking relatively few Rep systems, and if you're telling me you've only spend 1 hour online each day, and still got that far in the rep system.

Ok, granted, right now, this instant, getting through the rep systems aren't THAT bad. But you have to skip ahead a year or two... The more they add, the more unreachable certain goals will seem (and be)... Not everyone has their life to waste away on this game (like you and I do).

It's the #1 reason I don't play EvE, and the "random prototype tech drops" pre-rep almost made me stop playing STO... I simply don't like unobtainable goals.

how about they look down the road 2 years and think about adding content or bug fixes, oh wait repgrind is their content nvm
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It sounds fine BUT the very people who are complaining about over powered players are the ones who do not want to work up the reputation system like veterans. Then those same people play, foul!
    Nope, that's nonsense. I am sure you will be able to find some people that don't want to grind the stuff and are glad they don't have to, but I suspect that a lot of people that are worried about balance and power creep have often long finsihed their reputatiions and own a lot of the OP stuff. Just in the PVp community you will probably find a lot that have maxed out everythin there was to max out - Rputation, Fleet stuff, whatever. Their problem isn't the "Horror of the Grind".

Sure, there are also people that don't want to do all that grind either. And they are helped now - and that is of course, by design - if the grind became mandatory (as it feels to many), it means that new PVE content would need to decide whether it's aimed at the grinders, which leaves the non-grinders frustrated because they can't enjoy the new content, or at the non-grinders, which means the grinders are frustrated because new content is too easy and boring.

And the reputation passives are just not everything that reputations grant you. YOu want the set items? You need to max out the reputation. You want the new costume stuff? Max out the reputation. You want particular items from the reputation store? You gotta grind it.

So there is still plenty of reason to max out all the reputations.

And if you need to know - since my return to STO a few weeks ago, I was busy maxing out my reputations on my main char, and I will also need to complete all the reputations on several other characters, since they are all intended to be endgame viable, ideally even competitive for PvP. I'll keep doing it as long as the activity to do so remains enjoyable.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited April 2014
    It's already been announced that it will be free.

free to change out your actives, you passives doubtfull. i don't even have to read the blog to predict that
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    how about they look down the road 2 years and think about adding content or bug fixes, oh wait repgrind is their content nvm
    Last year they put out around 50 Missions in the Expansion Pack. Unfortunately those 50 Missions were mostly for Roms and KDF. Since the Expansion Pack this year is not a new Faction there is a very good bet that we should be seeing a similar number of Missions added to the game for the existing Factions.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited April 2014
    free to change out your actives, you passives doubtfull. i don't even have to read the blog to predict that
    No, that will be free, already announced as free. You really should read the blog and thread for it.
    edited April 2014

Out of combat you can change all 3 groups for free... This was info in the blog... So...

4 Swappable Ground
    4 Swappable Space
    4 swappable Clickies
    edited April 2014
    Out of combat you can change all 3 groups for free... This was info in the blog... So...

4 Swappable Ground
    4 Swappable Space
    4 swappable Clickies

ok cool it still changes nothing there will still only be 1 optimal setup

and 4 isn't all of them, so yeah theres gonna be alot of respecs
    edited April 2014
    No, that will be free, already announced as free. You really should read the blog and thread for it.
    But it is so much easier to bytch and sustain your emotional turmoil when you do not bother to get the facts. :D
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited April 2014

As far my time spent online each day, some days it was only an hour or so. Of course I would have 8 hour binge days from time to time, as I'm sure most of us do.

Yeah in a year that grind could get to be a bit much depending on many reps come out. One MMO that did a pretty good job with rep, and it pains me to say it, was World of ********. No passives but the devs never had to go back and change the old rep systems, which in STO is creating such controversy.

I'm not very familiar with EVE but as to reps I don't think they are unobtainable. The biggest problem with them, from my point of view, is the cost to respec passives and the cost to start a project, which both are being fixed. This is my silver lining in the whole thing.

edited April 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    But it is so much easier to bytch and sustain your emotional turmoil when you do not bother to get the facts. :D

read my previous posts on this very thread and take your own advice
    edited April 2014
    ok cool it still changes nothing there will still only be 1 optimal setup

and 4 isn't all of them, so yeah theres gonna be alot of respecs

If you really believe that, then you are a little nutty...

My "non-optimal" 7000'ish DPS Defiant has been up against 15K builds, and I still won...
    Pretending there is a optimal build is just nuts.
    edited April 2014
    read my previous posts on this very thread and take your own advice
    I do not remember offering any advice. Either way, I think Anazonda's post above mine covered my thoughts about you. :)
    edited April 2014
    If you really believe that, then you are a little nutty...

My "non-optimal" 7000'ish DPS Defiant has been up against 15K builds, and I still won...
    Pretending there is a optimal build is just nuts.

what does your lower dps ship outperforming a higher dps ship (with a less skilled player) have anything to do with it?

or your ignorant nutty remark
    edited April 2014
    I do not remember offering any advice. Either way, I think Anazonda's post above mine covered my thoughts about you. :)

by basically saying people come here and cry instead of reading the blog first, i was referring you to read the thread before crying about crying..

if you quote someone giving advice and back them up its the same damn thing for me
    edited April 2014
    by basically saying people come here and cry instead of reading the blog first, i was referring you to read the thread before crying about crying..
    What makes you think I have not read this thread? The fact that I waited to post until now has nothing to do with me following this thread - as well as the others like in in the other areas of the forum.

You have obviously educated yourself since this thread started, but you are still making incorrect conclusions based on your own emotional turmoil. You are so wound up about the change that you are not working on facts - which is why people have to point out things like free changes that are in the Blog. If you were calm and rational you would know those things. Emotion is your mind-killer. :)
    edited April 2014
    What makes you think I have not read this thread? The fact that I waited to post until now has nothing to do with me following this thread - as well as the others like in in the other areas of the forum.

You have obviously educated yourself since this thread started, but you are still making incorrect conclusions based on your own emotional turmoil. You are so wound up about the change that you are not working on facts - which is why people have to point out things like free changes that are in the Blog. If you were calm and rational you would know those things. Emotion is your mind-killer. :)

the fact you think i'm in emotional turmoil over a game is pretty funny, and if you read the thread you would know that i'm just pissed i spent all winter grinding powers i will not be able to use

get real haha