test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TRIBBLE Maintenance and Release Notes - April 15, 2014

1235»

Comments

• cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Honestly, as I mentioned earlier - I can't see why either should clear it. If there is to be a cleanse for it, shouldn't it be Engineering Team?

Ensign: Captain, the hull's shearing.
    Captain: Send in the Scientists!
    First Officer: Sir, shouldn't we send the Engineers?
    Captain: Look, I know that makes sense...but that's just not the way it works.

I support improving engineering team.

I just had interesting thought, if shield power was the main determining factor for torpedo bleed through or resistance.

With resistance say at at max 125 shield power you have 75% kinetic resistance, at 50 power you have about 50% , less then that the drop off is less or more substantial. But with shield % resistance buffs you can only have max 75%. I think this would likely help torpedoes.

Or with bleed through if your power is less then 50 your natural shield bleed through is increased by every 10 points doubling so at 20 shield power you would have like 20% with resilient, 40% for the rest at 20 power.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Where does that myth come from? A sliver of shields has never had any real impact on torpedo's or mines. Any ships hit by a torpedo with a sliver of shields will take massive hull damage unless of course it has high hull resistance.

Why do people think a sliver of shields causes a nerf to torpedo damage? There is no nerf from a sliver of shields.

this is sarcasm right? if not, you could not be more wrong. shields have between 80 and 90% knetic resistance, even a sliver is all you need to shrug off an entire salvo, its why torps and knetic weapons are garbage.

more of this convoluted penetration BS is not the answer, fix the actual interaction of kinetic and shields, so slivers actually don't protect you fully from torps.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,234 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    this is sarcasm right? if not, you could not be more wrong. shields have between 80 and 90% knetic resistance, even a sliver is all you need to shrug off an entire salvo, its why torps and knetic weapons are garbage.

more of this convoluted penetration BS is not the answer, fix the actual interaction of kinetic and shields, so slivers actually don't protect you fully from torps.
    No it’s not sarcasm. The game doesn’t work like that as a sliver of shields do not apply 80 to 90% kinetic resistance to the entire salvo. The sliver of shield thing is a myth that’s been proven false time and time again for years now. I don’t get why it’s still around.

I live by torpedo boats and unless I missed a change in a recent patch the sliver of shields thing is false and does not protect you fully from torpedoes salvos or mines.
    edited April 2014
    No it’s not sarcasm. The game doesn’t work like that as a sliver of shields do not apply 80 to 90% kinetic resistance to the entire salvo. The sliver of shield thing is a myth that’s been proven false time and time again for years now. I don’t get why it’s still around.

I live by torpedo boats and unless I missed a change in a recent patch the sliver of shields thing is false and does not protect you fully from torpedoes salvos or mines.

i get that you would like to will that to be true, i would as well. but its not true at all. their is absolutely no mechanic in place to slide the resistance scale when hitpoints are low on a facing at all, that's your imagination. if your a torp boat, you might have the damage buffed enough to actually take out a sliver so other torps can properly do their thing, but at 10000 hitpoints or 5 the shield resistance is exactly the same.
  • freenos85freenos85 Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I too think, that this sliver is still a myth. Let's say there a 500 shield points left on a facing. That means, that one 5k torp hit would make it collapse and everything else after that would go straight on the hull. then take a torpspread or a non targetable high yield with no enemy TT running, and you're golden.
    The only reason why this 500 sliver of shields would actually be usefull in this situation is if a torp volley would count as a single entity and so each torp would hit this sliver of shield and be severely reduced. So only after this single entity's damage has been resolved would the sliver disappear and the following shot would hit the hull. If this single entity business is what actually happens, then it's more a programming failure and not actually a systems related.
    Omega T4... see post #97. I just give feedback. By calling it crying you ridicule yourself.

In my opinion reputation traits should be universally useful. Captain's traits should be used for specialization.

Except captain traits you pay for and reputation traits you grind for. Do you really want to widen the devide between rich and poor even more in this game? I see where you are coming from in general. Captains traits have 9 slots and reputation has only 4, but since they are currently aquired the way they are, it's better the way it is, imho.

No reputation trait is universally usefull and that's actually a good thing. Are you crit heavy? Then choose crit dependend traits. Do you need to compensate healing? Then choose that. And since basically every trait either boosts damage as a whole or (and here actually exists a nice split) buffs resist, shield healing or hull healing among other things, the whole point of choosing actually becomes rather moot if you aim for damage. The offensive abilities have always just been about universal damage enhancements, which does nothing to close the divide between energy, kinetic and exotic.
  • adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Out of curiosity, which level of very rare kit modules? Mk X, MK XI, or MK XII? Or are kit modules limited to MK X max level and just kit frames are available in MK XI and MK XII versions?

That's a complicated question. Powers in our game work by having a Magnitude (how strong their effect is) and then looking up that Magnitude at the level of the item activating that power. The Magnitude of Purple Modules in S9 is equal to the Magnitude of Rank III powers on kits in S8. Mark XII kits previously are actually only level 50 items, even though most of our Mark XII items are item-level 60. New Mark XI and XII Modules are item-level 55 and 60, respectively, so they are actually stronger than Rank III powers in previously Mark X-XII kits.

TLDR; From Marks I-X, Purple Module (new system) = Rank III Power (old system). For Marks XI and XII, Purple Module (New system) > Rank III Power (old system).
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    That's a complicated question. Powers in our game work by having a Magnitude (how strong their effect is) and then looking up that Magnitude at the level of the item activating that power. The Magnitude of Purple Modules in S9 is equal to the Magnitude of Rank III powers on kits in S8. Mark XII kits previously are actually only level 50 items, even though most of our Mark XII items are item-level 60. New Mark XI and XII Modules are item-level 55 and 60, respectively, so they are actually stronger than Rank III powers in previously Mark X-XII kits.

TLDR; From Marks I-X, Purple Module (new system) = Rank III Power (old system). For Marks XI and XII, Purple Module (New system) > Rank III Power (old system).

Level 60? Intteresting
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • ikuruyoikuruyo Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Do you suppose you could make the Fleet Starbase and Holdings as social zones? It would be nice to be able to change traits while on them.

Logged into Tribble to take a look at the kits, realized that I did not have any captain traits slotted anymore for some reason and could not slot them until I was in orbit of a planet after leaving the SB.
    edited April 2014
    i get that you would like to will that to be true, i would as well. but its not true at all. their is absolutely no mechanic in place to slide the resistance scale when hitpoints are low on a facing at all, that's your imagination. if your a torp boat, you might have the damage buffed enough to actually take out a sliver so other torps can properly do their thing, but at 10000 hitpoints or 5 the shield resistance is exactly the same.

It is true I did extensive testing and proved it was true in old threads. I am 100% sure there is sliding resistance that only applies to a fraction of the torpedo damage. If I recall names correctly virusdancer from this thread read my results and did his own independent testing and came to the same conclusion.

A sliver of shields does not apply full 75%+ resistance to the entire torpedo or mine volley. There is sliding resistance where part of the torpedo damage takes 75% resistance but the rest of the volley takes zero shield resistance and does full damage to hull.

It is a myth a silver of shields protects you against torpedo damage. It is a myth that entire volleys get 75% resistance to the entire damage with a sliver of shields.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014

Thank you very much for your response and for going into more detail about that. It was something I was curious about because obviously before we had just rank I - III for powers. With kits of very rare quality usually having more of the level III powers, but obviously since level III was the highest and MK XI or MK XII kits didn't change the level III powers I was unsure how this change would affect that.

Good to know though that if we can get MK XI or MK XII purple modules then they will actually outperform their current max level abilities.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    edited April 2014
    It is true I did extensive testing and proved it was true in old threads. I am 100% sure there is sliding resistance that only applies to a fraction of the torpedo damage. If I recall names correctly virusdancer from this thread read my results and did his own independent testing and came to the same conclusion.

A sliver of shields does not apply full 75%+ resistance to the entire torpedo or mine volley. There is sliding resistance where part of the torpedo damage takes 75% resistance but the rest of the volley takes zero shield resistance and does full damage to hull.

It is a myth a silver of shields protects you against torpedo damage. It is a myth that entire volleys get 75% resistance to the entire damage with a sliver of shields.

it would be nice if hawk or bort would weigh in, system dudes would know if something like this got stealth added. its certainly never been in patch notes.

until they do, im sticking with what i said. im a TRIBBLE, so very often use torps and cannons together. the grav torp has made that a whole lot better, but only really thanks to the rifts, not the torp's actual damage. i have never seen a sliver fail to protect my target, and i often run a real time resistance viewer that i watch very closely especially when im going to fire torpedoes. there's never been any anomalous lower resistance value displayed when a facing hit is already low
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well then...let's see what we've got going on here...
    jellico1 wrote: »
    most of the boss npc's always have a sliver of shields as well pretty much nerfing any torpedo attack from doing any real damage until the battle is 1/2 way over
    Where does that myth come from? A sliver of shields has never had any real impact on torpedo's or mines. Any ships hit by a torpedo with a sliver of shields will take massive hull damage unless of course it has high hull resistance.

Why do people think a sliver of shields causes a nerf to torpedo damage? There is no nerf from a sliver of shields.

freenos85 wrote: »
    I too think, that this sliver is still a myth. Let's say there a 500 shield points left on a facing. That means, that one 5k torp hit would make it collapse and everything else after that would go straight on the hull. then take a torpspread or a non targetable high yield with no enemy TT running, and you're golden.

The only reason why this 500 sliver of shields would actually be usefull in this situation is if a torp volley would count as a single entity and so each torp would hit this sliver of shield and be severely reduced. So only after this single entity's damage has been resolved would the sliver disappear and the following shot would hit the hull. If this single entity business is what actually happens, then it's more a programming failure and not actually a systems related.

...okay, I quoted so much there I forgot what I was going to say. Okay then, read through it again (yeah, I just woke up - weird day).

First, one must define sliver. Is it just a visual sliver? Then without knowing the actual value of the sliver, one simply cannot say...

It's basically working off of simple effective health with the shield cap, though.

Say the sliver is 1000 sheilds. That the sliver has 92% damage reduction. The sliver will have an effective cap of 12500. ESC (Effective Shield Cap or you could just go with EHP for Effective Health Pool, but I prefer EHP for the hull) = Current Shield Cap / (1 - Damage Reduction).

ESC = 1000 / (1 - 0.92) = 1000 / 0.08 = 12500

So yep, 1000 shields will be enough to shrug off 12500 damage (after bleed, this is just the amount hitting the shields) without buckling.

500 shields? 6250 effective cap.

1 shields? 12.5 effective cap...yeah...pop.

So yeah, depending on the torp hit - what appears to be a sliver of shields - even 500 - would hold up against a torp doing 6k damage.

Let's say we've got a torp coming in that's looking to do 20000 damage. We'll send it against non-res to keep it simple. 2000 goes to hull, and the remaining 18000 is heading toward the shields. We'll drop that out against our 1000 shields guy.

12500 of that 18000 is absorbed by the shields as they buckle. The remaining 5500 is heading toward the hull and whatever damage resistance it has.

You can see it in the combat log (the actual file, not the chat tab) with the last two entries on a shield hit. The first is the damage to shields and the second is the amount of damage the shields prevented from hitting the hull. First number tends to be piddly and the second not so much.

As for the shield damage reduction scaling...er...that I haven't seen. I've asked for it repeatedly, mind you - cause it's what we saw in the shows and movies. As the shield percentages dropped...stuff rocked the boat more, heh.
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited April 2014
    it would be nice if hawk or bort would weigh in, system dudes would know if something like this got stealth added. its certainly never been in patch notes.

until they do, im sticking with what i said. im a TRIBBLE, so very often use torps and cannons together. the grav torp has made that a whole lot better, but only really thanks to the rifts, not the torp's actual damage. i have never seen a sliver fail to protect my target, and i often run a real time resistance viewer that i watch very closely especially when im going to fire torpedoes. there's never been any anomalous lower resistance value displayed when a facing hit is already low

I thought 3rd party programs were a no-no :eek::confused:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    kapla1755 wrote: »

There are folks that run real-time DPS parsers...that read from the combat log. The program drunk's talking about just reads from the log...and does some math.

edit: Though in thinking about it...I don't really know. That's my guess on what it does based on what's been talked about it; but that could be problematic depending on how many foes one has, eh? If it was a 5v5 and it was tracking the last known resistance on a target it would be one thing. If you were in a CnH or Ker'rat...or...PvE (couldn't see the need in PvE)...could be problematic, eh?

But yeah, it should just be an active viewer of what some of us do later while reviewing the logs - cause it's just straight math.

I never bothered with it, cause well - heh - I tend not to take things too seriously. I fly around going wheeeee...hoping that when I blow myself up, at least it's a crit. :P
    edited April 2014
    As for the shield damage reduction scaling...er...that I haven't seen. I've asked for it repeatedly, mind you - cause it's what we saw in the shows and movies. As the shield percentages dropped...stuff rocked the boat more, heh.

sometimes it takes numbers like that to see just how broken knetic and shield interaction is. 92% res, something not even uncommon on player ships, absolutely absurd how huge the damage that any sliver of shields can easily absorb. that's why i said at the VERY LEAST they need to cap the res at the 75% the shield comes with.

enough of this bandaid enhanced bleed through TRIBBLE, its time to stop pretending shield kinetic resistance levels are not 100% the problem with torpedoes.

just think, if torps worked better vs shields, things like cruisers would be beter off with a fore and aft torp and spread, to go with their faw spam. it would be at least as effective, and look sorta canon. torps wouldnt ONLY have a use on spike damage builds, they would be good on every build on every ship. that should be the design goal in a STAR TREK game.

kapla1755 wrote: »

3rd party that interacts with the game, sure. i turn on /combatlog1, an in game feature, and it reads it, thats all it does. same as act, displaying the tottal numbers from a period of time, only its showing me numbers in real time.
    edited April 2014
    It's kind of funny (strange, not haha) - that in looking at the build goals for my guys other than Willard, a torp/mine is basically working as a "console"...it's basically there for a set bonus more than it's there because it's "awesome" or anything.

+Tet Damage, +Plasma Damage, +Disruptor Damage...even a couple looking at the Green Bubble.
    edited April 2014

It never got added to patch notes as it’s always been like that. At least it’s been like that as far as I can remember and for years of testing.

I didn’t mean the resistance gets lower as shield get lower. I mean 5 hitpoints of shield won’t apply 75%+ resistance to the entire volley. Also in PvE we are not dealing with 92% resistance, we are dealing with 75%. There is meant to be a 75% resistance cap as well. But in PvP that cap seems to be broken.