test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TRIBBLE Maintenance and Release Notes - April 15, 2014

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,234 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This sounds like a sorry excuse for a de facto nerf of almost all the builds players actually field. Transphasic builds are sub par in PvE and this trait won't change it. I'd really like to see the "Transphasic PvE setup" that you mentioned btw. And please tell me the reason why anybody with the slightest knowledge of builds, skillpoint distribution and game mechanics would prefer a transpasic torp over a hyper plasma, omega plasma, gravimetric photon or even a good old quantum.

If it's your intention to buff torpedos, give them more bleedthru. Or replace Nukara T2 instead. Nobody needs additional shield penetration for NPCs.
    I find transpasic torp are better than hyper plasma, omega plasma now. The problem is DPS is so high and things die so fast in STF’s anything with a DoT damage is a waste of time.

My DPS fall massively a while back with Plasma as the DoT just wouldn’t have time to trigger. In the end I was forced into quantum not only for the raw damage but the speed. Those torpedoes are just about fast enough to hit the target just as shields die although now even sometime these torpedoes are to slow. Using slower torpedoes then quantum often meant I barely hit anything and so did next to zero DPS. What used to be a 10k+ DPS plasma build now often barely gets 2k dps when in good STF groups.

:EDIT what if we change the rep power so torpedo's do extra damage to shields only? We have a mine that does shield only damage. Could we not apple a small version of that to all torpedo hits? Destabilize shields.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hmm, small % chance to apply tachyon proc to projectiles?

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • xxxhellspawnyxxxxxxhellspawnyxxx Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    deathray38 wrote: »
    Nukara shield penetration passive should work on ALL weapons, not only on energy ones. It will make nice combo with OKS, and allow some interesting builds.

And only fix to OKS is removing stacking limit.

Interesting builds that are centered around a pity by chance proc?

Let's face it. All you need for PvE are offensive boosts. Precision, Advanced Targeting Systems and Auxiliary Power Configuration – Offense are no-brainers for non Aux2Battery builds. With Omega T2 gone you may choose a defensive buff (more hull /shield HPs / Nukara T4 defence). But who needs more resistance anyway? Sad thing is T2 Nukara and T4 Omega offensive traits are TRIBBLE. They were crappy before the revamp and will be afterwards.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    I wasn’t aware many people did that. I found mines much more viable with the double range doff and for PvE are much better than extra torpedoes. I can see why you wouldn’t use PvP in 1v1 PvP but CTF PvP I find mines work decently. Not going to say great but I still use x2 mines for CTF which is the only PvP I do. Arena PvP I guess mine would just blow up all the time before hitting anything? How do they work in other PvP areas?

It's just a case there's usually so much FAW, pets, Grav Wells, Tyken's, etc, etc, etc going on - they even started doing more FAW over in PvE with the Voth/Mirror. Voth also drop out their Acetons, etc, etc, etc.

It's kind of funny, since I know I'm going to do a respec with S9 - I'm actually dorking around with 2x Launchers. Cause in certain areas of PvE - can definitely see the benefit to it. With S9, I'm probably putting PvP behind me...just going to play the game more casually. Heck, outside of spending a few hours in Ker'rat just now - I've pretty much just DOFF'd since finishing the 14 day Mirror.

BTW, I didn't mean for anything I said to come off harsh toward you...kind of like I said in the diminishing returns thread; between this thread and that one - my brain's fried.
    virusdancer I hadn’t thought about that rear 360 beam overload, shield pen doffs and Omega Kinetic Shearing. Sounds like a good idea, I have to play around with that. Do you use x3 shield pen doffs? How many if any projectile doffs? I guess not many if any as you use so many torpedo's.

I actually don't run it. That's purely speculative...but with the talk about shearing, it got me wondering again. Figure with 6 available DOFFs, there's some room for play with that. But I actually have no experience with the Pen DOFFs outside of looking at a Respawn button...lol.

Personally, I'd prefer the tandem/wingman angle on that. Fly with somebody and let them do the EWO Pen - since it's a debuff on the target, it would benefit anybody shooting at them.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Wish HY destructible torpedoes were more resilient in PVE. Voth **** the poor torps so hard... and isnt the gravimetric torp supposed to be anti voth?
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Buffing Torpedos by nerfing them (with energy weapons at the same time) and then "buffing" them with a DoT would make sence if anything would live more than 30sec against a decent team. That would only apply to the Queen, and maybe Donatra (but only because of her cloaking). Everything else is killed faster even with a Pug.

Even real Torpboats (I know a 20k-Attrox^^) wont have a big dps-increase. Maybe they wont even have any dps-increase, since their passive +dmg-reptrait is gone.

If you want to buff something, try Nukara T1/2, thats a Trait nearly no-one outside of pvp will use.
    edited April 2014
    “But I actually have no experience with the Pen DOFFs outside of looking at a Respawn button...lol.”
    Speaking about the pen doffs and this is more for PvE. I was thinking instead of the 360 beam have a Grav Photon and 180 Proton weapon with beam overload. A nice torpedo set bonus and a wide angle shield pen power. The 360 beam might be better if you shoot rear torps a lot but I tend to face forward in PvE mostly.

No worry's about harsh posts. It was not that bad and I was tired last night as well with my own posts getting a little fragmented to read.

Back to torpedo's I also noticed that photons torpedoes are with the new tribble set better than Quantum torpedo's. (excluding the flight speed difference) The Photons will match if not do a little more raw damage then Quantum but the fire rare will be much faster. That’s not even counting the grav photon being added into the mix!!!.

Are Quantum torpedoes now pretty much absolute for projectile centric PvE builds? Why would anyone use Quantum now photon match them for damage and fire faster?

EDIT: scarp that idea. I forgot the Proton weapon with beam overload fails to work with doffs.
  • deathray38deathray38 Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If you want to buff something, try Nukara T1/2, thats a Trait nearly no-one outside of pvp will use.

IMO 3 little buffs:
    -Shield penetration increaded to 10%
    -Shield penetration affact both energy and kinetic weapons
    -Shield penetration stack with other sources of shield penetration (BO DOFF, Transphasics penetration etc.)
  • neotrident12neotrident12 Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Bumping the correct thread, just in case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nagrom7nagrom7 Member Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As someone who has both B'rel and T'varo torp boats, what's this talk about people not using its EBC for it's purpose? :confused:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harden up Princess
    Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
    www.ausmonauts.com
    edited April 2014
    Spent the past a few hours testing and have come to two conclusion. The first is Transphasic mines and Transphasic torpedo are a waste of time with the Omega Kinetic Shearing proc and without the proc. The raw damage is so low with Transphasic that I did more damage to ship’s hull with Quantum torpedoes + shield pen doff then Transphasic with shield pen.

Same for mines. A Quantum mine with 25% shield pen did more hull damage than 80% shield Transphasic mines. Even with 80%+25% shield pen Transphasic mines did less damage. The raw damage of Transphasic is just too low to be useful.

Going back to the new proc same problem. Photon or Quantum torpedoes/mines with 25% shield pen from the doffs will give better hull damage from the proc then using Transphasic.

Omega Kinetic Shearing power in combination with shield pen doffs has not made Transphasic viable in fact it has made me completely give up on Transphasic as a source of damage. Quantum in turn are pointless over Photon due to the new set.

Photon mines and photon torpedoes are now the king of raw damage, king of spike damage, king of fire reload speed, king of hull damage!!!!. There is almost no reason to use Quantum or Transphasic on projectile centric builds now :mad::( photon is just far to superior is almost every way.

EDIT: Plus with Photon mines you save a rear slot as you can max out fire rate with 1 rear slot while Quantum or Transphasic mines need two launchers!!
    EDIT2: It doesn't help that the fleet store is missing Fleet Transphasic mines. But even with those Transphasic is still not worth while.
  • freenos85freenos85 Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Interesting builds that are centered around a pity by chance proc?

Let's face it. All you need for PvE are offensive boosts. Precision, Advanced Targeting Systems and Auxiliary Power Configuration – Offense are no-brainers for non Aux2Battery builds. With Omega T2 gone you may choose a defensive buff (more hull /shield HPs / Nukara T4 defence). But who needs more resistance anyway? Sad thing is T2 Nukara and T4 Omega offensive traits are TRIBBLE. They were crappy before the revamp and will be afterwards.

So denying someone to fly a niche build and boosting cookie cutter options is always a good thing? What's your porblem with balancing decisions, that effect you versus balancing that is being done to pve content. It effects you either way. You have to adapt to both scenarios.
    The only reason i see for you not wanting this change to happen would be that you won't be able to see these nice high damage number that you are seeing now.
    edited April 2014
    freenos85 wrote: »
    So denying someone to fly a niche build and boosting cookie cutter options is always a good thing? What's your porblem with balancing decisions, that effect you versus balancing that is being done to pve content. It effects you either way. You have to adapt to both scenarios.

Balancing the PvE content? I don't get you point.
    The only reason i see for you not wanting this change to happen would be that you won't be able to see these nice high damage number that you are seeing now.

Actually I don't care about loosing 3% DPS from OWT, i.e. Nukara T4 will be more than sufficient to compensate for. The damage numbers for top of the line Scimitars will certainly increase in Season 9.

My problem with OKS is that it's TRIBBLE. Too complicated, too random and it reduces the possible trait choices for most of the current builds.

I'd offer OKS as a captain's trait. It doesn't hurt so much to waste just one of nine slots with this ability if you think torpedos and mines are viable.
    edited April 2014
    Balancing the PvE content? I don't get you point.

Actually I don't care about loosing 3% DPS from OWT, i.e. Nukara T4 will be more than sufficient to compensate for. The damage numbers for top of the line Scimitars will certainly increase in Season 9.

If you don't care, then what exactly is your point in arguing over this change?
    My problem with OKS is that it's TRIBBLE. Too complicated, too random and it reduces the possible trait choices for most of the current builds.

Really? A 100% shield-piercing DoT that is based on the amount of hull damage a torp is doing is complicated? Sorry, but not everything can be good for every build there is. Some things are just not for you.
    It's only TRIBBLE for a pure energy based boat. I'd actually welcome some sort of possible variation in playstyle.
    edited April 2014

I'd offer OKS as a captain's trait. It doesn't hurt so much to waste just one of nine slots with this ability if you think torpedos and mines are viable.

Completely disagree. It is very good concept, only probem is stacking limit strongly penalting HY/TS/Dispersal patern users and mixed torp/mine builds. After this fix I am seriously considering using it in my build.
  • john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Re: Kinetic Shearing

I'll keep a close eye on the stack limit - it was put there mostly to prevent any absurd edge cases I couldn't think of from getting out of hand, and to encourage players to use both projectiles and energy weapons together. I could see raising it to 5 so that a HY barrage doesn't overwrite itself. I could maybe see removing the stack limit altogether, but that pushes people back towards "throw as many projectiles as possible" instead of "focus on big hits on weak shield facings". If nothing else, I could see changing it so that the DoT only gets replaced if it's higher mag than the one it's replacing.

The goal with this trait is to give projectile-centric builds a means of coming closer to PvE viability, but without increasing their potential spike burst damage to absurd heights. It definitely provides a substantial increase to the DPS of a Transphasic PvE setup over Holodeck potential DPS.

If that was your objective you have a long way to go before putting a torpedo on your boat makes sense in PvE. The way torpedo abilities are setup to only give you 1 damage burst per 15 seconds at most on top of the fact that you have to waste allot of skill points and boff slots to use them makes them not viable in PvE, this trait does not change that fact.

Further more, if you wanted to implement a trait like this it should have been a part of the new Undine rep or some future rep. What you have done instead is take a trait that was useful on any build and make it so that the only people who can use it are PvPers and those who choose to gimp themselves in PvE by using torpedos. You could have also chosen to take one of the weaker less popular rep traits and replace it, Nukara T2 and Dyson T4 come to mind, but instead you chose to get rid of one of the most popular rep traits.

This is very poor planning and customer relations, as has just about everything about this rep revamp been.
    edited April 2014
    If you don't care, then what exactly is your point in arguing over this change?

I don't care about loosing DPS. I care about the usefullness of traits.
    Really? A 100% shield-piercing DoT that is based on the amount of hull damage a torp is doing is complicated?

I'd like to see your calculation of the DoT damage for multiple torpedo and mine hits in a brief timespan like 2-3 seconds.

I'm not sure if the game engine could even handle it in a 10 vs 10 PvP match where everybody drops mines and fires torps.
    Sorry, but not everything can be good for every build there is. Some things are just not for you.
    It's only TRIBBLE for a pure energy based boat. I'd actually welcome some sort of possible variation in playstyle.

Actually my favorite build is a sci pvp healer with a single array and just torps and mines. I won't touch this trait on that toon. I could quote Woodwhity's post about torpedo heavy boats as well.

Please feel free to show me a competitive build for which this trait is a no-brainer.
    edited April 2014
    If that was your objective you have a long way to go before putting a torpedo on your boat makes sense in PvE. The way torpedo abilities are setup to only give you 1 damage burst per 15 seconds at most on top of the fact that you have to waste allot of skill points and boff slots to use them makes them not viable in PvE, this trait does not change that fact.

Further more, if you wanted to implement a trait like this it should have been a part of the new Undine rep or some future rep. What you have done instead is take a trait that was useful on any build and make it so that the only people who can use it are PvPers and those who choose to gimp themselves in PvE by using torpedos. You could have also chosen to take one of the weaker less popular rep traits and replace it, Nukara T2 and Dyson T4 come to mind, but instead you chose to get rid of one of the most popular rep traits.

This is very poor planning and customer relations, as has just about everything about this rep revamp been.

Really? I see no reason of adding all-in-one multipurpose must-have traits, because each of these traits is limiting real number of option by 1 (because if You MUST have one OP trait, then you have only 3 traits to choose, because not choosing this trait will cripple your ship)

Best trait design is trait giving significant bonus to specific aspect of ship - making it very useful in SPECIFIC group of builds, but not extremely useful (or completely useless) in every build. Players should be forced to seek best traits composition, not mindlessly choose 4 best all-round OP traits and do not change anything until next season...
  • genadagenada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would like to suggest giving all ships two slots for weapons. One fore for torps and a rear slot for torps/mines.

This would at least give everyone a reason to slot torps and could make some weapon sets with torps much more popular.
    edited April 2014
    I don't care about loosing DPS. I care about the usefullness of traits.

Then stopy crying about this change and start crying about omega t4. That is a useless trait.

I'd like to see your calculation of the DoT damage for multiple torpedo and mine hits in a brief timespan like 2-3 seconds.
    I'm not sure if the game engine could even handle it in a 10 vs 10 PvP match where everybody drops mines and fires torps.

Since every calculation is done server side and considering the current amount of spam ... i don't see any problems here, that don't already exist today.
    Actually my favorite build is a sci pvp healer with a single array and just torps and mines. I won't touch this trait on that toon. I could quote Woodwhity's post about torpedo heavy boats as well.

Yeah, because healboat equal torp dps. And actually doing some damage with your healboat greatly contributes to the fight as a whole. What you want is apparently a single trait, that makes torpedos univerally viable. That's just not the design behind this weapon type.
    Please feel free to show me a competitive build for which this trait is a no-brainer.

It doesn't have to be a not brainer. It can be good if just some people decide to actually build around it. Not everything has to be as forward as "+10% all damage".
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It doesn't have to be a not brainer. It can be good if just some people decide to actually build around it. Not everything has to be as forward as "+10% all damage".

But overcomplication is never good.

A +10% basic all damage increase is always better then specific stuff. The easier its understood, the better.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • thegrimcorsairthegrimcorsair Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    But overcomplication is never good.

A +10% basic all damage increase is always better then specific stuff.

Which is why, to put it eloquently, such broadly useful traits should go die in a fire.
    If you feel Keel'el's effect is well designed, please, for your own safety, be very careful around shallow pools of water.
    edited April 2014
    Then stopy crying about this change and start crying about omega t4. That is a useless trait.

Omega T4... see post #97. I just give feedback. By calling it crying you ridicule yourself.

In my opinion reputation traits should be universally useful. Captain's traits should be used for specialization.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    In my opinion reputation traits should be universally useful. Captain's traits should be used for specialization.
    I don't see why things have to be pigeonholed in this way. Given that we can now freely choose from any of these, and the concept of "traits" is becoming increasingly blurred to begin with, why not have generalist and specializable options for both?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    I don't see why things have to be pigeonholed in this way. Given that we can now freely choose from any of these, and the concept of "traits" is becoming increasingly blurred to begin with, why not have generalist and specializable options for both?
    That might be nice but right now I feel like there are zero good or decent projectile centric rep power left to choose. As a projectile centric player the new rep powers are very disappointing. The only one that might be good is the Aux damage one. All the kinetic based rep powers are now bad. I expected almost no one will use the kinetic powers with torpedoes or mines.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2014
    Re: Kinetic Shearing

I'll keep a close eye on the stack limit - it was put there mostly to prevent any absurd edge cases I couldn't think of from getting out of hand, and to encourage players to use both projectiles and energy weapons together. I could see raising it to 5 so that a HY barrage doesn't overwrite itself. I could maybe see removing the stack limit altogether, but that pushes people back towards "throw as many projectiles as possible" instead of "focus on big hits on weak shield facings". If nothing else, I could see changing it so that the DoT only gets replaced if it's higher mag than the one it's replacing.

The goal with this trait is to give projectile-centric builds a means of coming closer to PvE viability, but without increasing their potential spike burst damage to absurd heights. It definitely provides a substantial increase to the DPS of a Transphasic PvE setup over Holodeck potential DPS.

Then improve standard torpedo shield penetration for basic torpedos..

standard shots

no buffs ..no dots ...no way to exploit....no way to break...... no hocus pocus

exclude all of your current super torpedos..there super !
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
    edited April 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »

Then improve standard torpedo shield penetration for basic torpedos..

standard shots

no buffs ..no dots ...no way to exploit....no way to break...... no hocus pocus

exclude all of your current super torpedos..there super !
    The problem with that is it makes Transphasic even more useless then they already are. As soon as other torps get small amounts of shield pen the raw damage they do to hull overtakes the much larger shield pen found on Transphasics.

I was testing today and 30% shield pen on a photon mine does more hull damage then 80%+30%+10% shield pen on a Transphasics mine. Near 100% shield pen and you still do under 2k per hit to hull. A photon on the other hand only needs a fraction of that shield pen to get to 2k per hull per hit.

Pretty much the same for torpedoes the high raw damage with small shield pen on photons overtakes the low damage high shield pen of Transphasics pretty fast. You only need small amounts of shield pen of this to happen.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2014
    The problem with that is it makes Transphasic even more useless then they already are. As soon as other torps get small amounts of shield pen the raw damage they do to hull overtakes the much larger shield pen found on Transphasics.

I was testing today and 30% shield pen on a photon mine does more hull damage then 80%+30%+10% shield pen on a Transphasics mine. Near 100% shield pen and you still do under 2k per hit to hull. A photon on the other hand only needs a fraction of that shield pen to get to 2k per hull per hit.

Pretty much the same for torpedoes the high raw damage with small shield pen on photons overtakes the low damage high shield pen of Transphasics pretty fast. You only need small amounts of shield pen of this to happen.

The Idea is for a ship to have 2 torpedos 1 fowared and 1 aft maybe a mine rack or a fun weapon and the rest energy weapons 5

The torpedo damage needs to be 20 to 25% of the total damage in order for it to be viable as a weapon on the ship imo

otherwise the torpedos will not be used .....like now or used to no effect except on a very few specialized builds.................very few

right now the target is destroyed before a second volley of torpedo's even hits the target... !

personally i think energy weapon drain needs to be increased dramaitically to lower dps from energy weapons making the NPC's better because we have less dps from energy weapons pushing us to adding torpedos on our ships

instead of total energy builds

most of the boss npc's always have a sliver of shields as well pretty much nerfing any torpedo attack from doing any real damage until the battle is 1/2 way over

and everything other than a boss is destroyed before a torpedo can fly to the target..i am not counting static targets like gates

you can spend 1/2 of your skill points 1/2 your tac bridge officer slots 1/4 of your weapon slots on torpedo's and parse out at only 10% to 15% of total damage easy
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    • Re-scaled the magnitude of many new module-based kit-powers.
      • Very Rare quality Kit modules are now generally equivalent to Rank III Kit powers in the old Kit system.

Out of curiosity, which level of very rare kit modules? Mk X, MK XI, or MK XII? Or are kit modules limited to MK X max level and just kit frames are available in MK XI and MK XII versions?
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    edited April 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »
    most of the boss npc's always have a sliver of shields as well pretty much nerfing any torpedo attack from doing any real damage until the battle is 1/2 way over
    Where does that myth come from? A sliver of shields has never had any real impact on torpedo's or mines. Any ships hit by a torpedo with a sliver of shields will take massive hull damage unless of course it has high hull resistance.

Why do people think a sliver of shields causes a nerf to torpedo damage? There is no nerf from a sliver of shields.