test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 9, Excited or Not Excited

omegasprimeomegasprime Member Posts: 289 Arc User
Based on what I have seen on the Dev Blog I am not very excited or impressed. The Dev Blog have actually seem a bit boring this time around. I hope season 9 is going to be awesome, but at this moment I just don't see it. I know many are not happy with the reputation changes they are making and rightfully so for the ones who have put all the hard work into it. Well, let see how season 9 turns out.

Post your thoughts and please be courteous to your fellow posters
AKA Primus01, Lifetime member since January 16, 2010
Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7-5700
RAM 32 GB
2 Titan GTX 980M GDDR5 8 GB
Post edited by omegasprime on

Comments

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    New gear + kit revamp look interesting.

Undine battlezone is annoying from tribble testing.

So call it a 50/50
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Gonna be a "meh" season...

There are some sought after changes (kits and gear), and then some filler content (Species 8472 zone and ESD).

Personally, from what I've seen, it seems clear to me that they just needed to shove a season out while developing the next expansion.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I like what they are doing and i think the changes will help the game, but i cant say im excited for it.

i think this is a pretty small season and they are gearing up towards expansion 2 which is where most of the effort will go into, so i was never expecting the world in this one.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not really. It's not the type of season you could be excited for, it's not the right word.

Overall I am glad to see such a season coming in. Sure it's light on new content which means the new car smell will wear off in hours rather than days, all the same some cool new features and much needed fixes will be coming in too.

I see it more a 'spring clean' season. Can't be excited for it, but I think the game will be better off once it's here.
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well... the only thing I will be excited will be the new ESD, wich looks great.

But for the moment I try not to get excited about the other stuff, so I wont get dissapointed later on .
    I mean the kit revamp and the undine rep stuff looks great on Trible, but I hold my breath not to be nerfed when they hit Holodeck. Also I am afraid of other rep/trait nerfs. Even now just saw on Trible that the chance for sci exposing skills were nerfed to half, wich kinda kills the fun for sci toons on grounds for me :(
    The undine content maps are meh, not so fun as the voth content was/is.

Also I wait to see what the new undine lockbox brings...
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Another "Meh" - Season after 8 ... only thing I'm really excited about, is the New FE ... not sure when & if it'll arrive ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Meh season for me, only interested in kits and the new FE. ESD looks cool, I like that.

Doubt I will level the Undine rep, so the zone is of little use to me. I don't really need anymore passives thanks to the nerf, and the gear is not comparable to what I already own...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Season 9...

... is going to kill queued PvP

... is going to kill the need to do reps

... is going to make the battlezone the only place to farm dilithium efficiently

... is going to kill a good many builds and force more cookie cutter

... is going to stagnate large fleets that already have every holding done

... has done exactly zero to address some of the most glaring space balance issues that have persisted for months

... gives me no incentive to log in more than I already have been, which is less and less every day

... may very well be the season I say goodbye to STO
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! This is the end of STO season i know it is it has to be this one, i know it is for sure
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! This is the end of STO season i know it is it has to be this one, i know it is for sure

I am actually serious in regards to me. Last straw really, and ive been pretty patient/tolerant of certain issues.

Season 9 just comes off to me like a total 180 on direction of the game mechanics, and really screws up a lot of things for a lot of people.

Not to mention it is the worst thing they could have ever done to PvP.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Season 9...

... is going to kill queued PvP

... is going to kill the need to do reps

... is going to make the battlezone the only place to farm dilithium efficiently

... is going to kill a good many builds and force more cookie cutter

... is going to stagnate large fleets that already have every holding done

... gives me no incentive to log in more than I already have been, which is less and less every day

... may very well be the season I say goodbye to STO

Lets see going to relate line by line here...

Agreed... It was already dead to start with from a veteran or whatever perspective it died a long time ago due to the fact that either your opponents die way too fast or take hours until the other side gives up.

Agreed... Yep so most of us out there were able to max all of our reps and the nerfing of stripping what we were grinding up not being what it was needing or wanting more passives we can't use any time we want like we want will remove the need or wanting to do reps which is how they kept ppl engaged in the game so their brilliant designer didn't see that one coming when coming up with this targ waste.

Agreed... Somewhat agree there is still marauding on KDF side (no mention on the state of KDF war with pi canis which 3/4 of a dilithium cap refinement) For federation gameplay you are 100% correct though.

Agreed... This one goes along with the need or want to do reps the cookie cutter pretty much is established so not only is it stripping from us what we grinded its also detrimental they made these powers that stack on top of the power creep problem wider but yet removing what we had to grind for if we wanted to max our reps. The whole flawed logic on this stupid design itself would make a vulcan so emotional they would jump off Mount Seleya.

Agreed... The starbase and fleet thing with the stagnate it was doomed to happen due to the fact that it was something put in to try to establish some end game to where there was none for years. Its just now its all catching up so most fleets people have what they want and no real reason to grind them up anymore and most are all max even with holdings now.

Agreed... Myself the mirror event grind halfway into its lifespan I began to grow tired of doing it and then that rep revamp blog came out and I basically once I read it I switched to STO client and clicked the big giant X and haven't logged in-game since then.

Agreed... Yeah STO had a couple good runs as pay to play and f2p but due to some inescapable bad decisions. That and I just can't see eye to eye with the way the new wave of developers have come across to this game. There was always the statements of this and that will be done and then with no word saying well that kinda left the table a long time ago. As well as coming up with better design concepts other than give abc and xyz to do and then remove it from the player and replaced it with cba and zyx which is the same as the latter but with a different name but basically doing bait and switch jobs. Eventually both of these tactics come to the customer/player to not get involved with Cryptic or PWE ever again.

Anyways its been a few weeks for me away from the game and its funny I think now I get more enjoyment by looking at a STO wallpaper than actually playing the game. As far as excited I can't really get excited about having to re-purchase everything I had in season 8 as season 9's content with some undine sprinkled on it. Makes me think though no wonder so many have left STO that have worked around it for so long. Oh well STO you were fun for awhile but all good things must end at some point.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Honestly, I like it. I'm not pleased about the "rep traits" cr*p, but everything else looks awesome to me. End to the artificial Fed-KDF war, epic new STFs, a space BZ that might actually be worth it, and more beautiful sphere art...

I like it.
  • Options
    foxalpha5foxalpha5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    New stuff is coming, so yes I'm excited for Season 9.

DeltaFox
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    suzy32suzy32 Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »

I don't agree I think cryptic has finally got there act together from 4 years ago.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=590121
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm excited for it. It has new stuff for me to do and comes with a space BZ. Am ready.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm excited.

I'm just tired of every single whiner that's shown up as of late. That's all it's been for the past four months.
  • Options
    neppakyoneppakyo Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Removing the rep system and romulan faction would make sto a better game.

Too much grinding..
    Quote about STO on consoles: "Not quite as bad as No man's sky, but a close second."
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Worried that there isn't enough content for a major release. What there is looks great, but, I'm going to max out Undine rep quickly, trade sponsor tokens around, do it again four or five times. And then what?

Then it's back to STO's endgame of standing around chatting and playing with costumes in the tailor, until the summer event, I guess.
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    neppakyo wrote: »
    Removing the rep system and romulan faction would make sto a better game.

Too much grinding..

No it wouldn't.
    What people seem to not get is that "grinding" is only a bad thing if its done wrong.
    Everything in every MMO is grinding.

About season 9... well the kit revamp will get some new spice into ground, the costume changes sound intresting but I'm more then just a little worried that it will break more then it fixes. Still interesting.

About the new content.... mhm... haven't been able to access tribble myself yet, but from what I hear the new actual content doesnt sound that good, so no, I'm not "exited", just sceptic... But we'll see.
  • Options
    alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm laughing at the complaints over the rep system, I don't believe they should have put the passives/active traits into them in the first place.
    The Undine BZ is pretty good, but yea some of the things (puddles of goo) are annoying but they can be overcome. The only thing I don't like about whats coming is that there are no 5/0 kits.
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I like seeing new things in a game, so anything sounds good go me. The change to the rep system should make for more even play between everyone. Also looking forward to trying PvP again with the improved queue system. Between the 2, I think we'll see a big improvement in overall gameplay, especially as it will lead to a lot of the dps pushers leaving and leveling the playing field. More players will have a chance for better rewards in stfs that rank you, and PvP won't be a slaughterhouse for high dps bullies to beat on the weaker players. And I think most of us can say good riddance to that.
  • Options
    maxdredmaxdred Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No.

This is the smallest season in a long time. The queued missions are boring. Especially Undine Infiltration which no one will play again after two days. I like the idea of a space battlezone but am tired of the dyson sphere. Kit revamp is nice but don't care because ground combat is so awful anyway. And the rep revamp makes it feel like I wasted a lot of time on grinding rep so I won't bother with the Undine one. There's no point anyway when there's no sense of escalating difficulty at endgame and no real endgame bosses. Also, I think they have finally given up on the KDF faction with the hints of a peace treaty and the unified PVP queues.

The only thing I like is the new ESD interior which is very beautiful.
  • Options
    kolbrandrkolbrandr Member Posts: 266
    edited April 2014
    I haven't been on the test server. What builds are going to be nerfed, that will "encourage more cookie cutter builds"?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    dark4blood wrote: »
    ^WHY DO YOU THINK THAT IS!? Maybe if you payed attention you would realize the 4 year event was TRIBBLE.
    Really? The devs add new stuff with a reward and the only thing people talk about is how they don't want to work for the reward.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    dark4blood wrote: »
    ^WHY DO YOU THINK THAT IS!? Maybe if you payed attention you would realize the 4 year event was TRIBBLE.

I've played in worse. Imagine this: your anniversary and Christmas gifts? Lock boxes! Welcome to SD Gundam Capsule Fighter
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kolbrandr wrote: »
    I haven't been on the test server. What builds are going to be nerfed, that will "encourage more cookie cutter builds"?
    It's mainly the kit revamp. Certain kits(actually more like HALF of them) will be difficult to recreate using the new kit system. But.... you will be able to do some really fun stuff like mixing mines and turrets. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kolbrandr wrote: »

If they do it right, then the only builds being nerfed will be the ones that far surpass all the others, and this will in fact lead to fewer cookie cutter builds and more unique ones, since players won't have to worry too much about OP setups. But if you guys really wanna stop everyone from using the same builds, then stop posting them everywhere. What, you think people don't copy and paste what they see? Over half of the players out there wouldn't be using the aux2 batt setup if it hadn't been posted in the STO academy ship builder. Players in many games blame the devs for things like this, but its usually because of the players that builds become overused.