test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Skimp'd male characters please (lessons from TSW and SWTOR)

124»

Comments

• queetzqueetz Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    And at least swimsuits can be worn on Risa, they weren't last year. As for wearing them everywhere else what point does it serve.

As I said in another thread...
    queetz wrote: »
    The thing is lots of MMOs have swimwear and summer events. From SWG's infamous "hawtpants" to be continued with SWTOR's various "Ixum designed" skimpy outfits, to fantasy games such as Rift, Final Fantasy 14 and the upcoming ArcheAge, and the modern day horror MMO TSW, and so on. Not one of those games ever restrict their "swimwear" to one zone.

So it boggles the mind why the STO devs would go through all the trouble, with years of delays, just to restrict their "swimwear", which was long overdue, to just one zone. It goes against gaming industry trends for crying out loud, and it makes no business sense! Its even lore-breaking since skimpy outfits and shirtless males are simply an integral part of this particular IP, more so than Star Wars, or the various horror and conspiracy legends, or JRR Tolkien inspired fantasy settings that gave birth to the bajillion fantasy MMOs out there.

So just give us the opportunity to have swimwear that we can wear anywhere in the game, Cryptic! Who wouldn't have fun doing ground STFs or battlezones with your bikinis or fulfill some "Rambo" fantasy with your shirtless male characters? And isn't fun the ultimate reason why we play this game?

The reason is that Starfleet was the Exploration and Military wing of the federation, not a raver/spring break party organization, :D I doubt that's changed in 2409. Even now if you join any army there are rules of conduct, while on duty you must wear the approved uniform of the country you represent. That being said what you do off duty is your choice. (within reason) I add that caveat because some people have gotten booted from the Military if their conduct off duty was unbecoming a officer.

That argument will only hold if there was an "approved uniform" at the first place. But that is simply not the case today, as people can pretty much colour their "uniform" however silly they want it, and even wear inappropriate off duty uniforms such as the Ferengi open jacket, and mirror U outfits. At the end of the day, it is really the non-Orion / Gorn males that are loosing out their ability to be skimpy, unless "approved uniform" only mean females are the only ones that are allowed to be skimpy outside of Risa. :rolleyes:
  • megatronis1megatronis1 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited April 2014

That argument will only hold if there was an "approved uniform" at the first place. But that is simply not the case today, as people can pretty much colour their "uniform" however silly they want it, and even wear inappropriate off duty uniforms such as the Ferengi open jacket, and mirror U outfits. At the end of the day, it is really the non-Orion / Gorn males that are loosing out their ability to be skimpy, unless "approved uniform" only mean females are the only ones that are allowed to be skimpy outside of Risa. :rolleyes:

The key word here is uniform. And with all due respect There is no way that swimwear is a Proper uniform. Now cryptic has made a bit of a hodgepodge of uniform variants not having a standard Uniform. However even though it was at a smaller and more senseable scale in the tv series, from tos on there have been captains variants and variants of officer uniforms.(eg command tunic)

Tng had season one uniforms still in use for some crew even in later seasons. In Generations the D crew was mixed some wearing the tng other wearing the ds9/voy uniforms. and lastly in Voy the crew of voyager were still wearing their ds9/voy uniforms after they established regular contact with Starfleet who by then was on first contact uniforms. All of these are established uniforms, The fact that some players in game use wacky non canon colors that's different from the standard colors doesn't make that the base uniform color.

The Ferengi uniform might not Starfleet issue but compared to a bikini or a speedo it isn't inappropriate for the bridge, and since there are ongoing agreements between the federation and the Ferengi alliance, There may be allowances like there was for Worfs Klingon baldric and Ro larens bajorin earing. Or it could be cryptic just trying to offer a olive branch to those that wanted a ferengi faction. Same more then likely for the mirror terran empire fans putting in uniforms since they don't get a faction.

As for Gorn and orion guys missing out, They aren't exactly dressed like the Quaker oats dude. :D

They don't have to wear shirts normally anyway in game.

robert_rodriguez_53-0.jpg
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Players are allowed to go around spamming effects in social zones, troll, bully and this studio does zero about it and ya'll are worried about skimpy male costumage...

I might remind ya'll that in the Nimbus-III mission series theres a male dancer in briefs/speedo's dancing for ANOTHER male NPC..

Players run around in EV suits in the games social zones.. pop party amps etc..

and the "moralizers" are worried about.. male outfits...

*shakes head*

... STO is a MMO, a Game, and its long ago left Trek sensibilities behind... Honestly, you see far worse on television these days... during day time and prime time.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
    edited April 2014
    The key word here is uniform. And with all due respect There is no way that swimwear is a Proper uniform.

None of the off duty, formal wear, and even some "uniform" outfits like the cropped winter jackets are "proper uniforms" either, and yet they are in the game. So why is "swimwear" treated so special that they can only be restricted in one area, especially since we have to *GRIND* for them.

Why not just do what other MMOs do and give players a CHOICE if they want to wear their "swimwear" while in social zones, raiding, and doing ground missions and featured episodes?

Its like SWTOR restricting desert outfits only in Tatooine, or winter outfits only in Hoth. But do they do that? :rolleyes:

As for Gorn and orion guys missing out, They aren't exactly dressed like the Quaker oats dude. :D

They don't have to wear shirts normally anyway in game.

I said non-Orion / Gorn males are loosing out their ability to be skimpy. Meaning every other male species character in game, regardless of faction, cannot remove their shirts or be skimpy. Only Orion and Gorn can do it. :rolleyes:
    edited April 2014
    None of the off duty, formal wear, and even some "uniform" outfits like the cropped winter jackets are "proper uniforms" either, and yet they are in the game. So why is "swimwear" treated so special that they can only be restricted in one area, especially since we have to *GRIND* for them.

Why not just do what other MMOs do and give players a CHOICE if they want to wear their "swimwear" while in social zones, raiding, and doing ground missions and featured episodes?

Its like SWTOR restricting desert outfits only in Tatooine, or winter outfits only in Hoth. But do they do that? :rolleyes:

I said non-Orion / Gorn males are loosing out their ability to be skimpy. Meaning every other male species character in game, regardless of faction, cannot remove their shirts or be skimpy. Only Orion and Gorn can do it. :rolleyes:

I Misread the
    "Non Orion / Gorn males"
    part then it was a little confusing at first.

In any case there is the Khan uniform and you can remove the undershirt on that in all the factions so that point isn't quite accurate. As for cryptics part what they do or don't do won't be affected much by anyone but them in the long run. (E,g Romulan fraction, lack of Klingon content,ships for a long time etc,)

If you are playing a mmo as a Starfleet officer on duty whether male or female what purpose does being skimpy hold outside risa Unless you want sto to become one of 'those games' at which point I should remind you this game's rating won't allow for that. (I still have some faith in humanity though so I'll assume that's not your reason.) There is no logical reason for it on duty, It'd get you courtmartialed in real life today or at the very least reprimanded. And I can guarantee you if you used the excuse I want to 'choose' to wear Swimwear on active duty, They would 'choose' to take disciplinary action. order must be maintained in any army/exploration organization Starfleet isn't the spring break headquarters of the alpha quadrant.

Like I said before the Kdf doesn't have the same dress code per say. So it might not be a problem there.

This seems to be another one of those simple problem simple solution threads. If you want integrated cloaks roll Klingon, if ya want battlecloak roll a klingomulan or federommie :D.

And unless cryptic changes their mind, If you want to wear swimwear or 'skimpy' outfits on a non gorn/orion get the khan uniform or head over to risa it's not that far.

And as for Tor, Sto doesn't need to be like tor ideawise. Example If you thought sto's f2p system was bad wait till you taste ea's one. I know I was there. I could go on about the space there which is only now partly revamped, but still bad. Or the fig leaf now with bare bones player housing.
    edited April 2014
    I had to photoshop the Khan uniform to make it male skimpy, see the first page.

If you are playing a mmo as a Starfleet officer on duty whether male or female what purpose does being skimpy hold outside risa Unless you want sto to become one of 'those games' at which point I should remind you this game's rating won't allow for that.

This IS an MMO first and foremost, and MMOs are suppose to be *fun*. Plus other MMOs have the same rating as STO and yet they do not restrict their "swimwear". I believe Rift is rated Teen (same as STO), a fantasy MMO WITH modern day swimwear. SWTOR, which features skimpy outfits for male and females (even skimpier than anything in STO) is also Teen. :rolleyes:

Besides, the moment we have non starfleet ships, non-starfleet uniforms, and so on, we are no longer playing as a starfleet officer. Female characters wearing mirror universe sports bra or cropped winter jackerts do not get "court martialed", there is no game mechanic for that. :rolleyes:

And unless cryptic changes their mind, If you want to wear swimwear or 'skimpy' outfits on a non gorn/orion get the khan uniform or head over to risa it's not that far.

So people with KDF aligned Romulans or non-Orion / Gorn KDFs are essentially screwed unless they grind up to marauder 3? No surprised there... :rolleyes:
    And as for Tor, Sto doesn't need to be like tor ideawise. Example If you thought sto's f2p system was bad wait till you taste ea's one. I know I was there. I could go on about the space there which is only now partly revamped, but still bad. Or the fig leaf now with bare bones player housing.

Considering that Tovan Khev is essentially inspired by SWTOR's Corso Riggs, I'm sure Cryptic is trying to learn a little from SWTOR. So one lesson that they should learn from that game is gender equality where males can be as skimpy as females...EVERYWHERE in that game. :P
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Players are allowed to go around spamming effects in social zones, troll, bully and this studio does zero about it and ya'll are worried about skimpy male costumage...

I might remind ya'll that in the Nimbus-III mission series theres a male dancer in briefs/speedo's dancing for ANOTHER male NPC..

Players run around in EV suits in the games social zones.. pop party amps etc..

and the "moralizers" are worried about.. male outfits...

*shakes head*

... STO is a MMO, a Game, and its long ago left Trek sensibilities behind... Honestly, you see far worse on television these days... during day time and prime time.

Aren't there still male table dancers on Qonos?
    edited April 2014
    I had to photoshop the Khan uniform to make it male skimpy, see the first page.

This IS an MMO first and foremost, and MMOs are suppose to be *fun*. Plus other MMOs have the same rating as STO and yet they do not restrict their "swimwear". I believe Rift is rated Teen (same as STO), a fantasy MMO WITH modern day swimwear. SWTOR, which features skimpy outfits for male and females (even skimpier than anything in STO) is also Teen. :rolleyes:

Besides, the moment we have non starfleet ships, non-starfleet uniforms, and so on, we are no longer playing as a starfleet officer. Female characters wearing mirror universe sports bra or cropped winter jackerts do not get "court martialed", there is no game mechanic for that. :rolleyes:

So people with KDF aligned Romulans or non-Orion / Gorn KDFs are essentially screwed unless they grind up to marauder 3? No surprised there... :rolleyes:

Considering that Tovan Khev is essentially inspired by SWTOR's Corso Riggs, I'm sure Cryptic is trying to learn a little from SWTOR. So one lesson that they should learn from that game is gender equality where males can be as skimpy as females...EVERYWHERE in that game. :P

You skimmed past the facts again on the khan uniform. you can get get rid of the undershirt Klingons and other non gorn/orions are not 'Screwed' as you claim. in fact they have more uniform leeway (in terms of wearing less) then Starfleet officers not in terms of uniform selection.

Yeah this is a mmo I get it, but if half the things that some people want in this game under the guise of 'fun' were put in you'd have to bump the rating to nc-17 or higher.

Yes there is no game mechanic for a court martial, I never claimed there was. I did however point out the obvious fact you choose to ignore that Starfleet is a Exploration/military wing of the federation, and like all militaries today there is a uniform code you have to adhere to, that's why Officers in the army navy marines and airforces of countries don't go around in swimwear/underwear at their posts. Fun has nothing to do with it. like I said in my past post if you tried that today in real armies in any country you'd be reprimanded or bounced out faster then you could say live long and prosper.

as for the game no longer being trek or the characters not being Starfleet officers that's subject to personal opinion, despite the shameless lockbox ships, lobi stuff, 'dinosaurs on a spaceship' (aka season 8) and the Rommie minifraction. Just because lobi uniforms were released doesn't mean that swimwear is a standard uniform and invalidate the rules.

Also any Kdf toon can get to the risa even without marauder ranking by getting a diplomatic immunity buff which isn't hard to get all you need to do is ask in sector space my Kdf characters have never been denied it when I asked for the buff.

And to solve the risa being too far stuff Cryptic can make a orion run planet as the kdf version of risa.

If sto's not skimpy enough in your eyes there is always tor.
    edited April 2014

Yeah this is a mmo I get it, but if half the things that some people want in this game under the guise of 'fun' were put in you'd have to bump the rating to nc-17 or higher.

Oh please! SWTOR pretty much has "BDSM gear", including a bound emote, and one of the new cartel packs have skimpy pants and yet there is no indication that it would bump the rating to nc-17! :rolleyes:

No one in this community is asking any outfit that is skimpier than what is in SWTOR, they just want to be able to wear the "swimwear" which they will have to *GRIND* for, beyond Risa.

If sto's not skimpy enough in your eyes there is always tor.

That is the current plan, as I have been playing SWTOR more than STO now, although the main reason has more to do with burn out from the recent Mirror Universe Event grind. But I do like STO, and would like to continue to play it.

All I'm asking, and I'm not alone, is for Cryptic to simply allow us the swimwear, which we will grind for, and some would even be willing to pay for, to be usable outside of that one planet. Its not too much to ask??? :rolleyes: