test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Skimp'd male characters please (lessons from TSW and SWTOR)

queetzqueetz Member Posts: 125 Arc User
For those that may not be aware, there is a debacle going on with The Secret World and how they handled an outfit that went on sale on their cash shop, the details are here.

This also calls to question how STO treats the issue of gender bias in this game, and with the upcoming event in Risa wherein swimwear can only be used in that one zone.

This is my attempt to "skimp'd" my one of my Federation characters, Jornomar (the other shirtless characters are male Orion boffs).

ShirtlessJorno1_zps15ac2043.jpg

I used the same technique that the player, Ixum, did for SWTOR and managed to convince Bioware to adapt the skimp'd outfits successfully in that game.

How I did this was due to my crappy computer, sometimes there is a one or two second delay on loading all the layers of the uniform graphics. So sometimes I only see the skins of the character (with invisible legs, shirts, etc). Since "bare chest" is required for the Khan outfit, I manage to get a screenshot of Jornomar's bare torso before all the assets loaded, then did some photoshopping to integrate it with the normal character screen.

If only I have the graphic skills and steady hands of Ixum to convince Cryptic to "respect the lore" so to speak. I know its a long shot of Cryptic doing to STO what Bioware did to SWTOR, but given that my longevity for the game is at stake, I guess I should try.

Please allow Risa swimwear to be usable outside of Risa, and give us the option to have options like "shirtless Kirk", "Sulu's fencing outfit", "Picard Speedos", "Spock's Space TRIBBLE Prisoner Outfit" and so on, since they are truly part of Star Trek from TOS to the latest movies, even the Star Trek parody, Galaxy Quest!

I can't speak for everyone but it doesn't matter if we grind for it, or have to pay for it like TSW, put it in a lockbox like SWTOR, just please give us the ability!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Please allow Risa swimwear to be usable outside of Risa, and give us the option to have options like "shirtless Kirk", "Sulu's fencing outfit", "Picard Speedos", and so on, since they are truly part of Star Trek from TOS to the latest movies. I can't speak for everyone but it doesn't matter if we grind for it, or have to pay for it like TSW, put it in a lockbox like SWTOR, just please give us the ability!

I don't want to see Star Trek: Baywatch. If they want to do it on Risa, fine. But I'd like to see some modesty outside of Risa.

I'd like to think of myself as pro-option, but in the case of Risawear, this is one of the few cases I veto the idea of it being an option.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not sure I liked the wording you used, but I am okay with this.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    I don't want to see Star Trek: Baywatch. If they want to do it on Risa, fine. But I'd like to see some modesty outside of Risa.

I'd like to think of myself as pro-option, but in the case of Risawear, this is one of the few cases I veto the idea of it being an option.
    I agree.

I find skimp'd male as stupid as females.

The joke on TSW was fun, because what you omitted was this kind of costume, or this one, that one, and even this one, are already in the store, and nobody seems to complain. There is a huge bias in ths game. If you have a female character you can totally dress her like a b***. If you have a male, you can't. For some reasons, females character can be that kind of women, while men are always classy. The april joke outfit was fun because it was the opposite. The male looked stupid and half naked, while the female was fully clothed (for once).

Then, you use the lore, but you are dishonest. 2 pictures you used are kirk loosing a part of his shirt because he is fighting, and Spock being captured by TRIBBLE. Then Picard used the speedos on Risa only. Which is exactly what will happen. That would be like using the picture where Picard is tortured by the cardassian, and is fully naked. Except for a few moment, they didn't have any choice in the matter.
    But then, if you want to, I fully support a fencing outfit when they introduce the fencing minigame.

I totally support Cryptic on that one. Swimwear on Risa, because it makes sense, but nowhere else.

Deal with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm not surprised that there will be some resistance, but to clarify this...
    erei1 wrote: »
    If you have a male, you can't.

Actually, you can be shirtless in TSW via a bare chest item for the chest slot, 120 Funcom points per character or 150 Funcom points account wide.

This is why even in Massively.com, I kinda defended Funcom for them not being as gender biased. After all, it is entirely possible they yanked the Mankini because of legal issues from the owners of the Borat character (if the outfit was coloured something different from Borat's, it could even be okay).

It does not make any business sense to sell an outfit with real money, just to yank it and go through the hassle of refunds and bank charges, for a joke.

Another suggestion that just popped in my head is Cryptic could follow Tera Online's summer event. In Tera, you can grind (or do missions...can't remember) for your swimwear for free, usable only for a short period of time (I think 30 days). BUT if you want to have the outfit all year round, you can pay for it on their cash shop. So in this way, those who want it full time can still have it for a fee.

Cryptic could do the same for the Risa swimwear. Proceed with the restrictions for the grinders, but sell in the C-store for those that want it outside of Risa. Win win for both Cryptic and playerbase who want that option.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I totally support Cryptic on that one. Swimwear on Risa, because it makes sense, but nowhere else.

Deal with it.

e3de6d01672c80eb911687827a3fd98a9aa0838755f6f0fd4884e753ac3e29e0.jpg
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    queetz wrote: »
    Another suggestion that just popped in my head is Cryptic could follow Tera Online's summer event. In Tera, you can grind (or do missions...can't remember) for your swimwear for free, usable only for a short period of time (I think 30 days). BUT if you want to have the outfit all year round, you can pay for it on their cash shop. So in this way, those who want it full time can still have it for a fee.
    On Tera, if you are female, you are pretty much in swimwear all year.

e3de6d01672c80eb911687827a3fd98a9aa0838755f6f0fd4884e753ac3e29e0.jpg
    I think that was the first time I used the "Deal with it" sentence.
    I have to say, I really enjoyed it.

Having to side with Cryptic was a lot more difficult.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Having to side with Cryptic was a lot more difficult.

It just means you're being objective and not a tool. That makes your opinion matter more.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    queetz wrote: »
    This also calls to question how STO treats the issue of gender bias in this game, and with the upcoming event in Risa wherein swimwear can only be used in that one zone.

What are you talking about?

Okay, gender equality rah rah rah and all that, but seriously, let's take a step back here and look at this.

Question: How does swimwear being Risa-locked related to gender equality?

Answer: It doesn't. Both sexes get swimwear with the same limitations. No one's getting special treatment.

This is a flimsy justification for this "social justice crusade" thread, and it's not even that.

As I said before. This game is easily the least cheesily written and most forward thinking game I've played in terms of gender equality. Your quest is nothing but a crusade to see man abs, and while I can sympathize with a desire to see what you view as sexy, that does not mean there is a "gender bias" issue. If anything, the problem is we need less objectification, not more, which is what this thread aims to accomplish.

You're not wrong for wanting what you want, just don't be dishonest and disguise it as a social justice issue. It's not about social justice, it's not even about canon - it's about your rigid pylon.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If people want to make skimpy characters, either male or female - as long as I am not forced to make mine look this way - I could care less.

Yes, I think it's dumb to see all these skimpy things & Barbie dolls on a Starbase, but that's my personal taste and I'd personally never dress my character in such a way, but as long as it's just people having a choice... blergh, let them have their characters walk up naked, for all I care. :P
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I'm not sure about swimwear, either male or female, however there are a lot of canon uniform options that fit.

How about some Klaaeavage?

320x240.jpg

Or the obvious Kleavage

336489.jpg?2

Kilt?

scottykilt.jpg

Look at those legs?

tumblr_m0uxpwvZNA1qzvg5fo1_400.jpg

Lots of skin options without having to resort to swimming costumes (excluding Orions, both genders, as that's obviously for everyone).

Also My Klingon Alien looks fantastic in some Gorn clothes.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not NO, but HELL NO!!!!!

Swimsuits are fine... on Risa.

Aside from a few clothing issues, this game is tasteful (for the most part) with its clothing options... (at least the ones that work correctly). The men and women have clothes that cover at least 50% of their bodies. Orions... not so much.

I have yet to see a starship captain (Fed, Rom, or KDF) in canon that is on duty in a 2-piece French bikini.

Of course, here in STO, the boundaries of what is considered "duty-wear" or "uniforms" are up for debate.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Risa swimwear should be non-restricted imo. We'll have to do the grind, there's only 1 crummy little Risa map and there's half naked chicks and dudes galore running around already. I simply don't see why there'd have to be a restriction on it at all, after all we're GRINDING for it anyway!

Besides, the argument of canon content went out the window a long time ago since half of Starfleet is flying non Starfleet ships anyway.

Don't like it? Then don't look at it, no one's forcing you to watch the bikini chicks and speedo dudes running around, right?
  • Options
    spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just so you know - at the time I was on [redacted] looking through the [retacted] tailor options, the [redacted] cost 1000 favors each!!

I did not have that on my tribble toon - so I could not try anything on. Is 1000 favors a lot - I can't remember?

you can see some other players trying the outfits on below: :eek::P

s1e8-costumes.jpg
  • Options
    phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just so you know - at the time I was on [redacted] looking through the [retacted] tailor options, the [redacted] cost 1000 favors each!!

I did not have that on my tribble toon - so I could not try anything on. Is 1000 favors a lot - I can't remember?

It is a lot yeah. And some of the swimwear costs 2000, if you have to grind that for multiple toons that want all the swimsuits... you'll be grinding 24/7 if you want to make it in time for the event to end...
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Oh look, this thread made its way over here. :rolleyes:
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    vilecalamitousvilecalamitous Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    phalanx01 wrote: »
    It is a lot yeah. And some of the swimwear costs 2000, if you have to grind that for multiple toons that want all the swimsuits... you'll be grinding 24/7 if you want to make it in time for the event to end...

A grand total of 14000 Lohlunat Favors if you want all of the swimwear costume pieces assuming the prices stay at what they are now.
    http://i.imgur.com/GO3vDjE.png
  • Options
    spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    A grand total of 14000 Lohlunat Favors if you want all of the swimwear costume pieces assuming the prices stay at what they are now.

That's an aweful lot of "Grinding"
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    phalanx01 wrote: »
    Risa swimwear should be non-restricted imo. We'll have to do the grind, there's only 1 crummy little Risa map and there's half naked chicks and dudes galore running around already. I simply don't see why there'd have to be a restriction on it at all, after all we're GRINDING for it anyway!

Besides, the argument of canon content went out the window a long time ago since half of Starfleet is flying non Starfleet ships anyway.

Don't like it? Then don't look at it, no one's forcing you to watch the bikini chicks and speedo dudes running around, right?

Completely agreed.
    At the very least swimsuits should be available on ALL social zones.
    Theres just too much of a grind for them to be restricted to ONE single map.

And before people start claiming it ruins their immersion, they can just pretend people are on their way to the holodecks.
    I can't even begin to count the times starfleet officers mill around in ships corridoors and starbases in casual or funky outfits on their way to the holodeck.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

MOTHER****ER!!!
    artan42 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about swimwear, either male or female, however there are a lot of canon uniform options that fit.

How about some Klaaeavage?

320x240.jpg

Or the obvious Kleavage

336489.jpg?2

Kilt?

scottykilt.jpg

Look at those legs?

tumblr_m0uxpwvZNA1qzvg5fo1_400.jpg

Lots of skin options without having to resort to swimming costumes (excluding Orions, both genders, as that's obviously for everyone).

Also My Klingon Alien looks fantastic in some Gorn clothes.

If only Cryptic would start adding such things.....
  • Options
    claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Keep swimwear on Risa ONLY! Nowhere else. Thank you. :cool:

We don't know how much of a grind it is this year. Bunch of changes, plus there are new missions.
    I remember last time, the fastest jetpacks cost a 1000 lolnut favors and I remember that it didn't take forever to get one.

Normally I go around and unlock all costumes I come across... but this isn't really something... yeah...
    I was lucky enough to get on the test server before the area was blocked off, and see someone showing off the outfits (Hopefully someone makes a small guide, so people can see how each outfit looks before they buy them). And I know I only really liked one of the outfits.
    As I said before, normally I unlock all costumes I come across, but this time I don't feel any need for it. Just want one of them for running around on Risa, and one of the fast hover surfboards.
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Well, as jexsamx is fond of reminding us, they had Lursa and B'Etor's outfit (second from top) but they took it out.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    MOTHER****ER!!!

If you want your cleavage, yer gonna have to grind for it.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    If you want your cleavage, yer gonna have to grind for it.

But no grindable male Klaavage :(.

320x240.jpg
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    edited April 2014
    You have the Khan uniform.
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Unfortunately its an off-duty outfit which cannot be used to mix and match with other uniform options.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

It has sleeves, only petaQ wear sleeves when showing off their glorious Klaaeavage :D.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    edited April 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

Okay, gender equality rah rah rah and all that, but seriously, let's take a step back here and look at this.

Question: How does swimwear being Risa-locked related to gender equality?

Answer: It doesn't. Both sexes get swimwear with the same limitations. No one's getting special treatment.

This is a flimsy justification for this "social justice crusade" thread, and it's not even that.

As I said before. This game is easily the least cheesily written and most forward thinking game I've played in terms of gender equality. Your quest is nothing but a crusade to see man abs, and while I can sympathize with a desire to see what you view as sexy, that does not mean there is a "gender bias" issue. If anything, the problem is we need less objectification, not more, which is what this thread aims to accomplish.

You're not wrong for wanting what you want, just don't be dishonest and disguise it as a social justice issue. It's not about social justice, it's not even about canon - it's about your rigid pylon.

Female federation characters already have a way to get "swimwear". You just need to buy the TOS and Mirror universe costume sets from the C-store, then choose the sports bra and mini skirt, and there you have it. This has been available since Season 1.

The only way human looking males can "show their abs" is to roll a Male Orion and make him look human by choosing the lightest shade of green. On the Fed side, this is only obtainable by Diplomacy boffs, which I got my first way back in Season 2 (white Doff), the second one being the purple doff (as part of the Diplomacy reward adjustment), and the third one that I got from the Exchange. But aside from the old ground missions, New Romulus and the Dyson ground battlezone, you cannot take your Orion boffs with you.

Its actually a "social issue" since some games haven't allowed male characters to be skimpy. Both SWTOR and TSW didn't offer ways for males to be skimpy during their launch, but decided to offer due to public desire and the aim to be fair. SWTOR, in particular, was because of a thread done by a graphic artist that has over 200k views, and without the doubt has helped fuel the sale of Cartel Packs which helped that game's bottom line. Go to a GTN in SWTOR in any server and see how valuable the chest piece of the skimpy outfits are.

STO's initial constraint was the way they made the game way back when, since at launch, you can only have uniforms. But ever since Season 2 with the Male Orion skin assets available at the KDF tailor, it can be possible. My altered screenshot is proof that the bare torso assets do exist in all male characters. Its just a matter of allowing players to have it.
  • Options
    kadamskadams Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If people want to make skimpy characters, either male or female - as long as I am not forced to make mine look this way - I could care less.

Yes, I think it's dumb to see all these skimpy things & Barbie dolls on a Starbase, but that's my personal taste and I'd personally never dress my character in such a way, but as long as it's just people having a choice... blergh, let them have their characters walk up naked, for all I care. :P

Pretty much this.

Now, if we're going to get into gender bias..... howabout those skant uniforms, eh, eh?

Or, perhaps, open jackets for women that aren't showing cleavage?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    But no grindable male Klaavage :(.

320x240.jpg

:(
    Unfortunately its an off-duty outfit which cannot be used to mix and match with other uniform options.

And it can't be used on Boffs either! :mad:
  • Options
    edited April 2014

I wish people who are resisting, a few players and STO devs, have the same mind set. Choice is really what is desired, and again, while I can't speak for everyone, I would be okay to pay extra for it, to grind for it, or even gamble for it.