test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #57: First Contact Day is now Live!

Comments

• organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    First character per account per day.

Agreed. Nanov babies are such cuties.

Then you never saw me
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Trust Cryptic to make a event that has a bug in it again now not sure if this will happen with the fed mission but happened with my rom allied KDf character and my KDF character.

You beam up to the Botas to do the mission however when fighting the undine you are not on the Bortasqu you are on your own ship now this doesnt matter for my lvl 50 KDF but or lower level ships this will be a problem
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Must say, it's a fun wee mission (despite a few spots of ropey voice acting - and who the hell recorded the audio for the Comms officer? it's distorted as **** and sounds like it was recorded in Cryptic's box room). It's nice to get a bit of backstory plus a bit of story advancement, and it's awesome to be able to take the devastating (and gorgeous) Starfleet flagship out for a spin.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    robeasom wrote: »
    Trust Cryptic to make a event that has a bug in it again now not sure if this will happen with the fed mission but happened with my rom allied KDf character and my KDF character.

You beam up to the Botas to do the mission however when fighting the undine you are not on the Bortasqu you are on your own ship now this doesnt matter for my lvl 50 KDF but or lower level ships this will be a problem

Oddly, this never happened to me. I got onto the Bortasqu' and fought in it quite well.

Though, after taking the Scimitar out for a spin and dying in it, I will NOT be picking that up. No, seriously, the Odyssey and the Bortasqu' I did awesome in. The Scimitar? I may be a Rom-player, but it obviously shows that an Alien like my character does NOT belong in it.

Anywho, I enjoyed these missions greatly, especially since I was able to get out and enjoy my Rom-Fed character once more. Took the time to get two of the Mirror ships while I was at it.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Seems to be an audio bug for romulan republic characters. It's happened both to my reman allied with fed and romulan allied with KDF.

Upon entering the republic day mission I hear what sounds like a gorn's voice saying "you will not die thisss day". It happens again when I beam aboard the LLeiset and again when I enter the system to do the mission. This is not related strictly to the mission because after I complete the mission I heard the voiceover when spawning in the Tau Dewa sector, entering the new romulus system, and again when beaming down to new romulus command. :confused:

Edit: It happened to my KDF Orion when starting the day of honor mission. There seems to be some voiceover leakage somewhere.

Edit: And for the Bortasqu' ship you command for KDF characters, it has cannon: rapid fire and cannon: scatter volley but the ship isn't equipped with any cannons or turrets of any kind.
  • ryoborgryoborg Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What a heap of TRIBBLE this holiday is, Klingons get a cool Bat'leth, Romulans get a cool animal pet & Feds get a BS ship pet. every year they give the Feds TRIBBLE, Such BS.
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I like Gaius Selan, can we swap Tovan Khev for him please?
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • vahdovahdo Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    At least now we all know, why the Klingons repeatingly lose their wars :P

They put Rapid Fire and Scatter Volley on a Beam&Torpedo-Ship :eek:
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    One last thing, about the lleiset this time (if it was "Lay-set" then it should have 1 L, rather than 2[/snarky Welshman]). Or more accurately, the thalaron pulse. Fully auxed, buffed and with the rom t5 power running it dealt a rather pathetic total of 2k damage on one of the unshielded frigate targets at the start of the mission. Not a great advertisement for a power which was wildly hyped back when the scimitar was about to be released!

The new torp is rather nice with the HY though.

Thats strange, I got a 27k dmg with the thalaron, with aux under 100...

Anyway, I have to say this is a great First Contact Day, Thank You Cryptic. The full VO of the crew, the beauty "shots"/flybys (not the Oddy tho, maybe its a bug?) and the ability to get to use the ships with all their full skills was cool. Its actually a good thing, if this will make some ppl buy one of the packs, the better, the game its also a business afterall. For me, I totaly forgat how much fun the scimitar was. Made me thinking to fly it again after 4-5 months of sitting in docks.

One thing tho, maybe I am wrong here but didnt last year we got an accolade for speaking with all memebers from kdf bridge and fed utopia planetia? Wasnt any for the doing that with the romulan crew.

Ohh I allmost forgot, the nanov is soo cute :)
  • haurianthauriant Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I can report that happening for me on my low level KDF character. May or may not have happened on my Romulan; I fly a Scimitar with that one, but the flagship crew powers replaced my crew's powers for the Scimitar. I kept my same weak ship and same weak powers for KDF.
  • haurianthauriant Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    hauriant wrote: »
    I can report that happening for me on my low level KDF character. May or may not have happened on my Romulan; I fly a Scimitar with that one, but the flagship crew powers replaced my crew's powers for the Scimitar. I kept my same weak ship and same weak powers for KDF.

Wait, I think I see the problem now. The time I didn't switch ships, I started in the First City and beamed up to the shipyard, that let me board the Bortesqu. It's an option form the transporter officer. Now, I started mission from sector space and got the right ship. I recommend Cryptic check the situation out and, if they find I'm right, fix it one way or another.
  • jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ryoborg wrote: »
    What a heap of TRIBBLE this holiday is, Klingons get a cool Bat'leth, Romulans get a cool animal pet & Feds get a BS ship pet. every year they give the Feds TRIBBLE, Such BS.

Feds get everything else. More ships, more content, etc etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    hauriant wrote: »
    Wait, I think I see the problem now. The time I didn't switch ships, I started in the First City and beamed up to the shipyard, that let me board the Bortesqu. It's an option form the transporter officer. Now, I started mission from sector space and got the right ship. I recommend Cryptic check the situation out and, if they find I'm right, fix it one way or another.

yup, happened to me when i first did it lol.....started it from sector space and was just fine for my KDF toons after redoing it on the first toon i botched
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ryoborg wrote: »

BS is obviously a matter of perspective.

I still like the Phoenix pet most of em all. I understand why people are disappointed not getting anything new but...
    ...why is a Holiday supposed to be about "Getting something"?

I mean, seriously: Its a nice little quest offering some insight into the games lore. Its fun.

For me its far more successful then the anniversary was.

And even here I didn't get it, I mean: I HATED that time gated grind for the ship. But I don't see any reason to give out ships for free there, either. Its the "time gated" factor that was annoying, if they hadn't addet ANY ship it would have been better IMO.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    First off, is this a rehash of the original Oddy/Bort giving mission? If so, excellent work, however, I sorta miss the ability to visit Utopia...

Secondly, when I ran my Rom-Fed through, wave 1 was designated to eat a thalaron pulse. Somehow, those "disabled" Undine suddenly knew I had the melt-them beam of death firing up and they came to life and actually shot at me. Fortunately, they didn't punch through the shields before I introduced biological ship-shaped life to the Alpha Quadrant's best anti-biological weapon (note to self, initiate Janeway protocol and design thalaron-laced torpedoes for bioship melting...)

Thirdly, I am getting to be a fan of these "test drive" missions. Yeah, it may be nothing more than a "cheap commercial" to drive C-store sales, however, it also is a chance to see what else the game has to offer...

Fourthly, Thalaron. Biologicals. "Fun". Mirror Fed (Joined Trill host) is definitely thinking that we should send a Scimitar or two instead of a telepathic communicator to "advise" the Undine of their folly in fighting the Alpha Quadrant. Watching their planet(s) and fleet(s) melt would send a message that the "force oriented" Undine should understand. Klingon High Council should approve, too - considering their "love" of Undine...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Why does the Klingon flagship have 2 cannon skills equipped if it's only equipped with beams and torpedoes?

The tactical skills on the Enterprise and the Romulan flagship seemed to make more sense with the weapon loadout give (eve if the weapon load itself might be questionable.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    warpangel wrote: »
    Is there any point in doing this event with Fed/KDF characters that already have the Phoenix/Batleth?

35 Marks; Fleet/Omega/Romulan/Nukara/Dyson. Done deal. Chatting up Boffs; Optional.
    ===

megatronis1, I like your av! If the Master is one of your Cpts, I hope to see you in game!
    ===

Future Rewards
    Klingon: Choice of a War-Hammer, a Bazooka or a Combat Pet(TBD)
    Federation: Choice of Easter Egg, Piece of Candy or a Non-combat Easter Bunny pet (groan, I mean ground)
    Romulan: Choice of made-up Romulan treat, Chateau Picard, Romulan Ale or Non-combat Easter E'pohh pet (groan, I mean ground), and 1 Romulan Ale (mandatory; players cannot give them away...). May add an IOU on the backend.
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
    edited April 2014
    I used to have a 4th Doctor scarf. :(

...I might still have a 4th Doctor scarf...

Uh0oh! The Master is taking over my accounts! ..... :eek:
    4073703.jpg
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • legetdumarlegetdumar Member Posts: 263
    edited April 2014

I got the same bug the same way, the KDF Honor Day mission works properly if you take it from the missions menu, but this one was just plain funny!

The bug put me in my fleet Tor'Kaht, which blew through the Undine very handily, my hull never going below 95 percent. The Bortascu, on the other hand, finished with barely over 50 percent, the Llieset actually died once, and the Enterprise seemed to perform the best, finishing with a hull health of 80 percent. Who came up with the BOff layouts, anyway?

So if part of this is a "commecial" for the big 3, think I'll stay with what I got. :P

On the other hand, the fact that I was given the choice of marks and once a day dil/lobi was a great idea. That way, those on their first First Contact Day can get the old pets, while those that already have them can pick something more useful. Props for that! :D
    Criticism, while never agreeable, is necessary. It is like pain in the body. It brings attention to an unhealthy state of things---Winston Churchill
    edited April 2014
    It annoyed me and found the workaround for it but it is a silly bug that shouldnt happen in the first place
    NO TO ARC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • legetdumarlegetdumar Member Posts: 263
    edited April 2014
    It annoyed me and found the workaround for it but it is a silly bug that shouldnt happen in the first place

Agreed.

My experience with this bug has shown me that this game is being developed and designed by people that don't really know how to play it.

Explains alot, really. :rolleyes:
    Criticism, while never agreeable, is necessary. It is like pain in the body. It brings attention to an unhealthy state of things---Winston Churchill
  • cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm going to admit.. after flying the Lleiset in the Republic Day mission I almost want to buy the Scimitar. I enjoyed it.

Unfortunately I'm broke.

And I would probably never fly it because I love my Fleet D'deridex..
    edited April 2014
    ak255 wrote: »
    So I looked at the torpedo and realized that it's basically the same torpedo from Voyager when they fought the Undine at the end of Scorpion Part II. Yet, the game doesn't mention ANYTHING about the fact that Voyager came up with the weapon in the first place, like it's a new weapon.

Seriously Cryptic!? You insert a new weapon into the game without giving detailed information about where/how the torpedo the was originally created? They must think people are dumb to not notice that.

And notice they don't even give you much to play with the ship in the first place, mission gets done in less than 2 minutes. Cryptic is so pathetic and obvious when it comes to trying to make a profit.

The only exception was the easy 35 mark package, and surprising reward of choosing between 1,440 Dil or 10 Lobi Crystals. Although if that's only a 1 time thing and not a 24-hour cooldown reward, I'll be angry.

Sad when my NPC support has to save the day because the ship is rubberbanding and lagging and I can't shoot anything. This has been why its taking me all day when it shouldn't; something broke since yesterday's patch and it wasn't me. I could not play AT ALL last night, lag/rubberbanding has been bad and getting worse all day! instead of catching up I'm only getting further behind! It's not my pc, or my connections. I've troubleshot everything on my end. Three (3) times today I've been disconnected "Timed out connecting to GameServer" and Twice (2x) I've exited and gave a few min before restarting game, due to these issues. I was not having these issues with such incessant frequency prior to yesterday's patch.

Edit: Multiple attempts to log in failed as launcher failed to authenticate like 12 times.
    4073703.jpg

• aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The VO's are severely messed up. How? Well, at first it was the Romulan VO of: Patrol Squadron is here to help repel the invaders!! that continually repeated upon changing maps, even when switching toons. I'd switch toons and get that VO at ESD, again when I warped to the mission start, again when I zoned into the mission, again when I zoned onto the ship, again at the start of the weapon's test...etc...

I've been online for a bit, running my toons through it, and instead of just repeating now the VO's are continually looping and stuttering. It is not my speakers, I tested them out of game and on a different MMO altogether. STO, though...wow...the lag is horrendous all of a sudden, and the VO's are not only stuttery, but act like there is intense vibration running through them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    aelrhiana wrote: »
    The VO's are severely messed up. How? Well, at first it was the Romulan VO of: Patrol Squadron is here to help repel the invaders!! that continually repeated upon changing maps, even when switching toons. I'd switch toons and get that VO at ESD, again when I warped to the mission start, again when I zoned into the mission, again when I zoned onto the ship, again at the start of the weapon's test...etc...

I've been online for a bit, running my toons through it, and instead of just repeating now the VO's are continually looping and stuttering. It is not my speakers, I tested them out of game and on a different MMO altogether. STO, though...wow...the lag is horrendous all of a sudden, and the VO's are not only stuttery, but act like there is intense vibration running through them.

I had a issue it happened twice once on my KDF characters when the gorn captain goes you will not die this day he said it during the mission then at the very end once the mission was over for about 15 minutes then I went to do it on the Fed mission. Imagine my surprise when I beamed to the Enterprise F when I heard the gorn captain say" You will not die this day" It felt like something out of a hour novel especially since there is no gorn on the Enterprise F. Or maybe it was a Gorn disguised as a Star fleet captain
    NO TO ARC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    whats with the voice's that keep saying "don't worry we got you covered" and "you will not die this day" ? , it is getting annoy every time you enter a new area when playing on 7 toons everyday
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Why does the Bort only have the one-shot mega (useless) cannon, but no dual/dual heavy cannons?

The Scimitar has cannons, so the Bort should have more (usefull) cannons.:rolleyes:
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    have had no interest in playing sto for first contact day. dont get anything out of it that directly helps you out, apart from the klingon bat'leth, but thats far from ideal i would imagine. anyways, waiting on season 9. been playing swtor recently, looking for a direction off the back of X3 AP.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • precharprechar Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    have had no interest in playing sto for first contact day. dont get anything out of it that directly helps you out, apart from the klingon bat'leth, but thats far from ideal i would imagine. anyways, waiting on season 9. been playing swtor recently, looking for a direction off the back of X3 AP.

I love this mission 3 mins a day on 3 toons that get 35 Marks each (Romulan Marks for me) and 10 lobi once a day.

Grinds like this I can handle just a shame the secondary prizes outshine the Main ones that Cryptic have given us for the 3rd time in a row.
    So devs please take note FCD grind=Good but MU grind=Bad imho anyway :P
    It's your world Boss I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut!
  • dalmaciusdalmacius Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't mind having my pet walk with me whenever I take a stroll on DS9 for example. I, however, would like to take all my pets at the same time along with me...targs, birds, etc...
    However, pet shuttles, I find useless, except for the Gekli.

As a Klink, however, I would like to have a War Targ with me when doing ground combat. I think this may be coming in the future.