What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The sovereign is the best Starfleet ship design

Comments

• Options
    rock3tmanrock3tman Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well for me it would have to be the Vesta hands down, its sleek and streamlined and the rather large deflector adds some ruggedness to elegance :D
    1FHdQdl.jpg
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,414 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Is there any contest to this statment?

The Sovereign Class is the sexiest and most intimidating Starfleet ship, we need to give it more love.

If my "love" you mean a one way trip to the junkyard then we are in total agreement.

Sovereign class needs to die, used as target practice and so forth.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014

The Sovereign Class is the sexiest and most intimidating Starfleet ship, we need to give it more love.

Yes it is.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The sov/regent are sexy looking ships no doubt. Oddy is another sexy looking ship.

Sorry but my tip off goes to the avenger. "She doesn't look like much but she's got it where it counts."
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    gerudongerudon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    The sov/regent are sexy looking ships no doubt. Oddy is another sexy looking ship.

Sorry but my tip off goes to the avenger. "She doesn't look like much but she's got it where it counts."

Yeah, the Avenger is a bit like a VW Golf with 500 horse powers under the hood. It doesn't look like much, but boy...there is power here.
  • Options
    cha0s1428cha0s1428 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sovereign is a pretty ship no doubt.

I've grown to love my Excelsior a lot too. Though it always feels like if I stop or turn to hard the neck is gonna go all "loony tunes accordion" on me :P But those Cadillac fins on the Nacelles.....mmmm :cool:

I think the Galaxy is up there as one of my favorites, but in all honesty, The sexiest most beautiful ship to me is the Defiant.
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Now if only the game allow us to equip Saucer Separation console on Vesta.....

Oh god, yes please!

OT; Vesta.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sovereign is probably my favorite. I like others as well, but this ship is just awesome looking.

Intrepid would be a second.
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Agreed.

Before STO I annoyed people with Star Trek and Sci Fi discussion in a general sic fi forum.
    They had an annual voting for the "best Sci fi ship" (all series and movies, not just Star Trek) and the Sovereign was almost hardcoded on "place 1" all the years.
  • Options
    kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Even though it's not my fav design, I like the Sov.. but it'd be really nice, if they'd fix that triangle-prob at the back of the nacelles.
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's a great design but I don't really like the nacelles, so I use the Regent ones instead and it looks superb.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    vladdievladdie Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The Sovereign needs a re-mesh and retexture badly. One of the variants is so messy that the registry/name of the ship doesn't even fit on the saucer (which is a shame, because the Noble saucer looks good).
    Barihawk.jpg
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Galaxy. All my love.

Wells is a close second though.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    For me, the best looking Starfleet ship is the Luna class.

I've always preferred Starfleet's more quirky looking designs over the classic Constitution/Galaxy/Sovereign style, which is why the Nebula and Akira are also 2 of my favourite Starfleet designs.
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The Sovereign is my favorite canon ship by a light-year. The moment you see it you know it's a ship you do not want to mess with.

The Odyssey looks great standing still; too bad it's such a slow and lumbering beast unless you do a chevron separation. Then it handles like most other cruisers but doesn't look nearly as good.
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Are you referring to the Sovereign-class seen in the movies, or the Sovereign-class in the game?

movies, the game tries to do it's best, but that's why I said it needs some love.
  • Options
    nakedcrooknakedcrook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I agree about the Sov. That is just a classy ship all around. That is the last known canon Enterprise. Hell, the Enterprise E is still around in the STO universe I think.

The Odyssey is trying too hard to be both the Galaxy and the Sov. The Assault Cruiser tries to be the Sov. Vesta tries to be a Sov. None of those ships are able to pull it off with the same grace as the Sov.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you oppose the Reputation nerf, feel free to use my signature
  • Options
    seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sovereign is ok and I certainly understand the love it gets. Heck I would love to see a Sovereign X dreadnought ^^

But my personal favorite has to be the Miranda.

I don't know exactly what it is about the design that I love so much about it. I guess its the rather aggressive look to it. Those underslung nacelles, the top mounted torpedo launcher just look awesome to me. Its a small and compact ship that was designed for just about everything.

But I also think that the Starfleet Command series of games is a reason. I loved the light cruiser on those games. There, the Miranda had a perfect balance of firepower (well above average for its size), great maneuverability and enough powerlevels to keep up with faster enemies. It could easily take on Klingon D7s that were twice as big. In the game it will very role from generic light cruiser over hospital ship to light carrier vessel (ya it launched Fighters).

If we had an endgame variant of it, I would immediately get it to relive those old days again, hangar bays or not lol

Ships closely after that include the Excelsior, Galaxy and Intrepid. Its just too bad that with the exception of the Excelsior, these ships aren't so great on this game (exception being the Gal X which is good, but not great).
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • Options
    redz4twredz4tw Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2014
    I know this is going to sound weird, but imo the sov looks fugly, the galaxy looks better imo. However. the regent is one sexy beast....
  • Options
    admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,560 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    redz4tw wrote: »
    I know this is going to sound weird, but imo the sov looks fugly, the galaxy looks better imo. However. the regent is one sexy beast....

sothing is wrong with ou. the Regent was the UGLIEST starfleet ship in game till Avenger
  • Options
    johnchrightonjohnchrighton Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    The Ambassador, with its understated elegance and classical lines, doesn't disagree.

That would be rude.

But the OP is, sadly, in error.

What I like about the Ambassador is that it is tougher than it looks, at least in my experience it does. Also, the Enterprise-C gives the class an heir of stubborn nobility, that is of course my opinion. :o
    Headlong into mystery
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What I like about the Ambassador is that it is tougher than it looks, at least in my experience it does. Also, the Enterprise-C gives the class an heir of stubborn nobility, that is of course my opinion. :o

Could not agree more.

I've had an engineer in the retro since they gave it away, and very recently upgraded to a fleet version.

Tough, versatile, reasonably maneuverable and, dare I say it, classical lines.

Probably the most underestimated cruiser.
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I love the look of the Sovereign as well, though there are plenty of great looking ships. The d'deridex and the D7 are a close second imo. The Excelsior also looks awesome in the Ent B configuration.
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have to go with the Galaxy X as sexiest ship in the game. The sov.is a close second. Two of my favorite fed.ships. To me they should have been the top fed.ships in the game only becauuse i like canon ships over anything else in the game. I really hate seeing fed.players flying all these weird looking non canon ships.
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jarfaru wrote: »
    I have to go with the Galaxy X as sexiest ship in the game. The sov.is a close second. Two of my favorite fed.ships. To me they should have been the top fed.ships in the game only becauuse i like canon ships over anything else in the game. I really hate seeing fed.players flying all these weird looking non canon ships.

You can fly a Sovereign at end game, there is a skin for the assault cruiser refit.
  • Options
    jon59650jon59650 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    For me, the canon ships: Excelsior, Sovereign, Ambassador classes are beautiful.

In-game: Odyssey
    sto-afk-list.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    zipagat wrote: »
    You can fly a Sovereign at end game, there is a skin for the assault cruiser refit.

That doesn't make it a top fed ship...

jon59650 wrote: »
    For me, the canon ships: Excelsior, Sovereign, Ambassador classes are beautiful.

In-game: Odyssey

I will never understand how someone can consider the odyssey even remotely bearable, not even speaking of nice....
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Yes, there is much contest to the statement. ;) It's actually not amongst my favourites.

Starfleet ships that I'd rank higher than the Sovvie on that list:

Galaxy
    Vesta
    Ambassador
    Regent
    Excelsior
    Constitution
    Defiant
    Intrepid
    Rhode Island

Probably a few more odd ones. but that's just off the bat. ;)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The Sovereign-class in general is a great looking ship. Got my eye in First Contact!

The STO Sovereign-class though... the neck and deflector stick out VERY prominently, with none of the grace of the studio model/CGI model in the three movies.

Of course, Cryptic will not fix it.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!