Install Arc
Options

Legacy Pack Giveaway! [Now Ended]

Comments

• Options
    colon3lfatburg3rcolon3lfatburg3r Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm very much with the guys who asked 'what if I don't use social media?'

I think its absolutely disgusting that we have been FORCED into using the 'Philistines' ARC software in the first place.

I don't like Social media... It was created with one reason in mind, to find out as much about the populous as possible using under handed tactics.. Its just for creating a huge database and then sell on the info to the highest bidder. Its got TRIBBLE all to do with our lives and will ruin your relationships.
    And if that's not enough now they want to ruin startrek with it....
    And that's exactly what ARC is.... It means I/We/YOU gotta put more details into something else...
    To that 'herbert' who said 'Those who don't use social media rarely know whats going on'...... That's because those who do use it are utter simpletons.... WAKE UP.. FACEBOOK WILL STEAL YOUR FRIENDS.... But then I guess it does actually warn you that you had NO friends anyway cos they all got so easily indoctrinated into social media in the first place.. And now they all think their so special because of it.

GET RID OF ARC or at the very least give us an install package without the ARC software so that we have a choice. And then stop trying to trick us back to it with ideas like 'Arc users get free this and that' which should be available to all with or without ARC.

Now if any of that don't make sense its cos I just got up ....

thanks for reading.
    M

FREEDOM TO THE PEOPLE..........REMEMBER....When they start to take choice away from the people.....Slavery is round the corner!!!
  • Options
    arcjetarcjet Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    What about players who don't use social media?

I mean, guys like me who actually play the game instead of following the Twitbook junk are getting stiffed on this deal. Isn't this a sort of self-contradictory exercise?

I mean, you are rewarding people for spending time on social media sites rather than for playing the game. The game which makes your company money and pays your salaries when people play it.

It seems kind of counterintuitive to me.

But marketing 101 says so.

Welcome to the modern world.
    I'm on your side btw.
    Personally I couldn't care less about a giveaway, since I can afford whatever I want or need ingame. But that's not the point.
    This extraordinary black hole of intense irrational negativity proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that STO & its forums are mainly populated by mentally disturbed curmudgeons.

Complaining about something as simple and benign as Arc was already strong evidence supporting this conclusion, but many many people seriously whining (as in not trolling, but an actual honest response to external stimuli) about having to use social networking to take part in a free giveaway?! Well... that's the new gold standard.

I wish to express to each and every one of you exactly how much you are personally despised as human beings, but the depth is beyond mere words. If ever composure were lost, I'd risk the bends by cooling off.

We, the rational, would like to express our eternal gratitude to the Implementors for their continual benevolence.

Wow, you do realize that an eloquently or even politely formulated insult is still that, an insult?
    The fact that you use your apparently existing intellect to troll and belittle other players is saddening. Actually a lot more reason for contempt than most other things seen here.
    Uhh... you do realize that the forums are a social media outlet, right?

(..)

But in all seriousness, we don't want to exclude anyone from this contest so much as we want to include those of our fans who do follow us on Facebook and Twitter, and give special attention to those players who do use social media.

(..)

Wait wait wait.. you say you want to give special attention to those players who do use social media?
    And before that you nitpick about forums being social media outlets.

That does not compute.

If you really "don't want to exclude anyone from this contest", then just don't do it.

Please don't make up implausible reasons, please refrain from witty/mocking replies, unless you really want to drive away every halfway intelligent customer. Yeah I know, catering to the simple minded is sufficient nowaydays.. so maybe that's just the way it is.
  • Options
    stevedudemanstevedudeman Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Even though I know what the Legacy Pack is, there may be some people who don't. Maybe you should explain what exactly a Legacy Pack is somewhere on the Giveaway page...
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I was intrested...I read on and.. nope

No amount of bribery will get me onto twitter or facebook, let alone potentially supporting the looming shadow of arc

Try again.
  • Options
    blackcat1234567blackcat1234567 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have "liked" Arc on Facebook and Twitter. Now I'm eagerly awaiting my new toys. :)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Brandon, If you haven't heard, please go ask Trail Turtle or the other folks over at Champions Online what happened to that wiki recently. As a hint, it is gone completely.

The only silver lining is that the old host sent a copy of the files to Cryptic.

Hate to see something like that happen here.
    What happened was that the woman who was hosting the site could no longer afford to do so, as her hosting service had just raised prices. She turned the files over to the good folks at CO, but since they have like three programmers total* and more bugs to squish than the good folks playing STO have even seen in their nightmares, it's anyone's guess when (or if) the wiki will be back online.

(*Note: numbers may be pulled out of a bodily TRIBBLE, rather than based in actual observation, but it sure seems accurate...)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    maarchsmaarchs Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I mean, guys like me who actually play the game instead of following the Twitbook junk are getting stiffed on this deal. Isn't this a sort of self-contradictory exercise?

I mean, you are rewarding people for spending time on social media sites rather than for playing the game. The game which makes your company money and pays your salaries when people play it.

THis givaway is more to make PR for ARC and STO, so social networks is a good reason to catch it. Good aproach. :)
    When You observe, learn from it.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    In this day and age, it's rare. I do know some people that don't, but then they complain they never know what is going on.

No. Its not, A LOT of users dont use social media. Me included. I just dont need it, same as other people. This is a really bad strategy. Hell , in fact some of my friends dont even use e-mail...:D
  • Options
    tardes13tardes13 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think its absolutely disgusting that we have been FORCED into using the 'Philistines' ARC software in the first place.

You're not being forced, just bribed, not the same.
    I don't like Social media... It was created with one reason in mind, to find out as much about the populous as possible using under handed tactics..

That's wrong, it's purpose is mind control.

That being said, I just f-licked arc thingy there, OMG I'm such a hoe !

And no, I have no clue what a legacy pack is.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    In this day and age, it's rare. I do know some people that don't, but then they complain they never know what is going on.

It is not rare at all. I know quite a few people, myself included, that keep a very low internet profile and avoid such things. It may seem rare to a user of such things because their electronic circle of friends are all on it.... ?

That said I have no problem missing out on some offers. I know that it is impossible to cash in on every single offer made on the web, I get some and miss some. /shrug I will not complain that someone else got a deal that I missed. Same as the arc giveaways --- I missed those because arc seemed to be too new & unstable to bother with. I bypassed the joy of beta testing arc for them and missed out on the perks.... life goes on.

I would encourage the cryptic team to offer IN GAME deals and giveaways from time to time --- preferably without adding a grind to them, just once in a while toss out a "hey, thanks for playing, no matter how you logged in or what other web sites you visit, this is for you".
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tardes13 wrote: »
    You're not being forced, just bribed, not the same.

We are being forced to use Arc first the Forums changed then the website is now Arc new users have to use the Arc softwae to install the game and pretty soon we will have to use arc to launch STO unless we become Steam users and then that could change in the future as well.

If thats not being forced to use a Software then I don't know what is.

Just because they are bribing us at the moment to get prizes and giveaways still does not stop is from saying we are forced to use software we don't need or want
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rodirhalrodirhal Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hi Captains!

Now that we’ve completed our website’s transition to Arc Games, we’re excited to announce our next Legacy Pack giveaway. Check out the link below to learn more.

Look at all the details, rules and restrictions here.

Ich verwende kein facebook, twitter oder arc. Es ist vollkommen egal was Ihr verschenken werdet, es wird niemals dazu kommen das ich bei diesen blödsinn freiwillig mitmachen werde.

Google translator:

I do not use facebook, twitter or arc. It does not matter what will you give, it will never come to that I will participate voluntarily in this idiocy.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    It is not rare at all. I know quite a few people, myself included, that keep a very low internet profile and avoid such things. It may seem rare to a user of such things because their electronic circle of friends are all on it.... ?

That said I have no problem missing out on some offers. I know that it is impossible to cash in on every single offer made on the web, I get some and miss some. /shrug I will not complain that someone else got a deal that I missed. Same as the arc giveaways --- I missed those because arc seemed to be too new & unstable to bother with. I bypassed the joy of beta testing arc for them and missed out on the perks.... life goes on.

I would encourage the cryptic team to offer IN GAME deals and giveaways from time to time --- preferably without adding a grind to them, just once in a while toss out a "hey, thanks for playing, no matter how you logged in or what other web sites you visit, this is for you".

They have done that with the Free C store stuff However I agree more giveaways like that are appreciated more than silly competitions that you need to use two-facebook and other social media
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    suuperduudesuuperduude Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm kind of surprised this doesn't violate Facebook's TOS but, they are kind of nefarious anyway. Liking something for any other reason than 'liking' it is deceptive.

Ummmmm there are TONS of contests on Facebook that work like this. Just saying.
    --
    Lion Heart of Hammer Squadron
  • Options
    tardes13tardes13 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If thats not being forced to use a Software then I don't know what is.

Ich verwende kein facebook, twitter oder arc. Es ist vollkommen egal was Ihr verschenken werdet, es wird niemals dazu kommen das ich bei diesen bl
  • Options
    darkhaze666darkhaze666 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Google+ is as far I go into social media and i do nothing but read new on it. Those other sites are just trouble waiting to happen.
  • Options
    tyelrmerandityelrmerandi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i still do not see what you answered the question about those of us who do not subscribe to the social medias of today i.e. twitter and Facebook. what do we need to do to get both entries into the contest and have equal odds of winning
  • Options
    skymagus00skymagus00 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Ah, so it is the Haakona. It must have been the angle then, hiding the other lower wing. Thanks. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    You need to make a Facebook account and a Twitter account. Use false info if you must - they only care that you're not impersonating a celebrity, and that you're using a real email address. (Hint: You can get as many Yahoo! and Gmail accounts as you like.) Follow the Twitter, Like the FB page, and if it disturbs you that much, unfollow and dislike afterward and abandon the accounts to the deserts of the Net.

Y'all make such a big deal out of stuff...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You need to make a Facebook account and a Twitter account.
    NO, I don't. I have absolutely no use for any social media; this is just a naked back-door business deal between ARC/PWE and the social giants. And considering that one's chances are about 0.2% of actually being selected, it's really Facebook/Twitter that win...:mad:
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    mindshadow999mindshadow999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    NO, I don't. I have absolutely no use for any social media; this is just a naked back-door business deal between ARC/PWE and the social giants. And considering that one's chances are about 0.2% of actually being selected, it's really Facebook/Twitter that win...:mad:

Currently a princely 0.34% on Facebook, actually. Much lower still on Twitter. As the number of participants goes up, the odds of any given person winning will improve (to a max of 0.4%). As of this afternoon a total of 23 Legacy packs will be given away, if my calculations are correct.

Also, 'Like' counts are PR garbage, mostly. Getting worked up about them is assigning them a level of emotional energy and relevance that they don't really deserve. And 23 people may end up disagreeing with you about who the real winner is here. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I was answering the question of what one must do if one wishes to enter this drawing. If it means that much to you, don't flipping enter. Same as I never get in on the giveaways during livestreams, because my computer doesn't like livestreams. You see me pitching a fit over it?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014

Actually, I think it's more just PWE/Arc who win. The entire setup of requiring people to like or follow gets them noticed by other people. The more likes or followers a page has, the higher up it returns in search results. More people on these people's friends lists see them liking the page and become intrigued and check it out (90% of the pages or Twitter accounts I have liked/followed came through seeing them on a friends news feed), if only one person from every new like has a friend who clicks on the page and decides to play a game then they gain potentially thousands of new customers.

You are excluded for not being on any form of social media because you cannot help get the word out about their games to the audience they covet.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Actually, I think it's more just PWE/Arc who win. The entire setup of requiring people to like or follow gets them noticed by other people. The more likes or followers a page has, the higher up it returns in search results. More people on these people's friends lists see them liking the page and become intrigued and check it out (90% of the pages or Twitter accounts I have liked/followed came through seeing them on a friends news feed), if only one person from every new like has a friend who clicks on the page and decides to play a game then they gain potentially thousands of new customers.

You are excluded for not being on any form of social media because you cannot help get the word out about their games to the audience they want to convert.

That makes a lot of sense, but I would like to add to it. What they're doing is very misleading. Most of the people liking/following them on social media are only doing it for a chance to win free stuff. On the bright side it gave me a reason to actually log into Facebook LoL.

I do use Arc and find it's kinda meh. Needs improvements here and there, but it is nowhere near as bad as I originally believed with all the "ermagaud it's spyware and gonna kill yer baby" BS.

Arc: "Check out the new Ford Pinto!"
    Community: "It sucks! The seatbelts are the wrong color!"
    Arc: "Like us on facebook for a chance to win a free Corvette."
    Community: "Yay! You still suck, but yay!"

P.S. Fixed that last part of your post for ya. :D
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    That makes a lot of sense, but I would like to add to it. What they're doing is very misleading. Most of the people liking/following them on social media are only doing it for a chance to win free stuff. On the bright side it gave me a reason to actually log into Facebook LoL.

I do use Arc and find it's kinda meh. Needs improvements here and there, but it is nowhere near as bad as I originally believed with all the "ermagaud it's spyware and gonna kill yer baby" BS.

Arc: "Check out the new Ford Pinto!"
    Community: "It sucks! The seatbelts are the wrong color!"
    Arc: "Like us on facebook for a chance to win a free Corvette."
    Community: "Yay! You still suck, but yay!"

P.S. Fixed that last part of your post for ya. :D

Hahaha I approve of your edit! :P

Yeah I agree about Arc, I have it installed and it's not nearly as terrible as I was lead to believe by the doomsday threads going on. My only real issue with it is that I don't see the need. I already have Steam installed and STO and Neverwinter (the only two PWE games I play) are already handled by that. All of my friends are on Steam so they see my screenshots, they see if I'm in game and can join me etc. I don't really need another client. But if it got me free stuff I'd get ARC tattooed on the back of my head haha.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    johncampbell07johncampbell07 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I agree 100%. I do not have a Twitter, FaceBook, nor any social media account and would never have one. In between all the hacking to these sites is the government spying that I want no part of. It's bad enough that the ChiComs are now vested in STO. Why would anyone want to simply divulge their private info to any government is beyond me. No thanks. No Sale.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited March 2014

It's actually pretty simple:

People on Facebook and Twitter share with other people on Facebook and Twitter, many of whom aren't playing the game. They share a LOT. Some of those they share with will end up playing the game as a result of those shares, which will be more interesting since they contain a contest than they would be if it was just "look here's a game". Some of THOSE people will spend money.

Just offering EVERY contest to those who already play the game doesn't build market share, it just retains it. Both are necessary to a healthy player base. We get plenty of contests too.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    effaeldmeffaeldm Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If I may, a few suggestions on what could be also useful to do, perhaps more:

1. https://www.google.com.ua/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsto.perfectworld.com%2Fblog%2F%3Fp%3D1030111&ei=TAsiU5q5PNSP7AaWlYHYDw&usg=AFQjCNHYO_fqItu3eRBEu24HLGXB-zyLjQ&bvm=bv.62922401,d.Yms

Any under sto.perfectworld.com - including any Google searches. Is there any way to get redirected to a page like this properly now? All or almost all Google links to PW sto data are ruined.

You get a page that asks you to go to Arc, Arc opens not on the page you wanted, but on main. And the "go back to PW" option shows it's not there anymore as well. Shouldn't it redirect to proper Arc pages? But if that's too much troubl for now, maybe it will do to allow return to the old pages for searches for old data?

2. The related Arc client is trouble, one of its key features is resource eating. It's no help and no love to Arc if the game lags or crashes, let alone if the computer gives the blue screen of death. Texhnically this is supposed to be fixed by better coding... are there any hopes on that anytime soon? Perhaps some sort of a "quiet mode" switch that turns off more or less everything resouce-eating till turned back on - not to ruin people's game could solve the problem at least since there's no solution that fixes resource eating now. If this looks not too appealing... the current alternatives are like: not installing Arc, uninstalling Arc after use, etc.

3. A chance below 1% might interest some, but it's a very unlikely probablility, not everyone will even bother - meh I won't win. Maybe giving small prizes to everyone might attract some of the people not bothered by this one.

4. It might be a bit of asking much, but perhaps it could be nice to reward people who popularize the game not by something like tweets or likes, which are more likely to imnpress the search engines (messed up by p.1, though can also be useful) than actual people, but by something actually creative - deviantart images, motivational posters on various sites, fanfiction, etc.
  • Options
    kazapskykazapsky Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    You need to make a Facebook account and a Twitter account. Use false info if you must - they only care that you're not impersonating a celebrity, and that you're using a real email address. (Hint: You can get as many Yahoo! and Gmail accounts as you like.) Follow the Twitter, Like the FB page, and if it disturbs you that much, unfollow and dislike afterward and abandon the accounts to the deserts of the Net.

Y'all make such a big deal out of stuff...

It IS a big deal to me, because PWE is asking (and you're cheerleading) that I:

1 - Provide contact info, bogus or otherwise, to a company that runs on the profits it makes from selling that kind of information.

2 - Publicly endorse a poorly-designed spyware program for any length of time.

3 - Cast aside my personal integrity in order to do 1 and 2.

4 - Accept a slice of bribery pie which works out to less than a dollar per person, on average, in exchange for 3.

YOU might be willing to spit on your own dignity like that, but I am most certainly NOT. I will not compromise my sense of morality for the sake of generating false hype for a product that never should have made it out of the development lab. I. Will. Not. Publicly lie through my teeth to make PWE feel better about this mess they've made.
    Arc is garbage. End of discussion.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    Then don't give your real name...? It isn't forcing you to.

It isn't? I thought that Facebook Terms of Service declared that using a false name would get your account terminated if they realize if is fake.