Install Arc
Options

Legacy Pack Giveaway! [Now Ended]

Comments

• Options
    crash490rcrash490r Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Right how unfair.

And what about the people who do not use electronic devices? How can they play STO? Cryptic should really look into that... :rolleyes:

About the giveaway... well I won 5000 Zen with one of those once... what are the odds on winning twice :o

Whoa, I ran into a player in another game with your name. What a coincidence.
    LTS Since 2012
    do1ao9.jpg
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ... lots of certainly meaningful text here ...

It's honestly quite laughable that you guys see fit to rely on a 3rd party site for much of the essential STO information. One would assume a "Game Website" should contain any and all useful information possible (such as Factions, or Species).

What happens if you wake up tomorrow, and stowiki has been TRIBBLE or deleted, or simply shut down? All that information will then be inaccessable, and your beloved "web team" would be forced to look up said information from the Cryptic devs, and compile new pages for the website to contain such information. Would it not be more prudent, or safer to have all such information "in-house" ?
  • Options
    oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well sorry but some of us aren't idiotic and stupid enough to use facebook or twitter or arc. Just another example of stupidity being rewarded and intelligence being penalized. Scary that this has become the norm lately.
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited March 2014
    druhin wrote: »
    It's honestly quite laughable that you guys see fit to rely on a 3rd party site for much of the essential STO information. One would assume a "Game Website" should contain any and all useful information possible (such as Factions, or Species).

What happens if you wake up tomorrow, and stowiki has been TRIBBLE or deleted, or simply shut down? All that information will then be inaccessable, and your beloved "web team" would be forced to look up said information from the Cryptic devs, and compile new pages for the website to contain such information. Would it not be more prudent, or safer to have all such information "in-house" ?

This may have been the mindset 5 years ago, but the times have changed, and information sharing has evolved. Many more games (and companies not even in the entertainment sector) are using their Wikis, or 3rd party Wikis if they already exist (like the STOWiki), to house information. The reason: an entire playerbase (or usergroup) can contribute information much faster and in greater detail than a few of us on the Community Team can*. The STOWiki has flourished into an amazing resource that has allowed us and the community to utilize it as a knowledge base, and we are proud of the fact that we can link to it and call it the official Wiki.

*Of course the CM team could take all that over, but with how much new information is pumped out in each blog, patch, and update, that would require us to set aside most of our other projects, including community engagement, livestreams, events, and much more. We're humans, not Androids, so we can't do it all, and we consider Engagement far more impacting for our Community :)

Regarding your concerns, we're official partners with the Wiki, which is owned by Curse. One of their main business lines is their Wikis, and they are very successful with the traffic that visits it. They have a vested interest in ensuring the doomsday scenarios you mentioned do not occur, and take proper safety measures for backups, etc.

I do appreciate your feedback, and hopefully this post helps illustrate the greater picture a bit better.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Well sorry but some of us aren't idiotic and stupid enough to use facebook or twitter or arc. Just another example of stupidity being rewarded and intelligence being penalized. Scary that this has become the norm lately.

Some will always be oldschool (like your name :P), and that's cool too. We're not locking you out of content or the game. It's a contest, and like any contest out there, if you don't like the terms and conditions, you don't have to participate. It's optional, and you're only loosing out at the opportunity of potentially winning something if you don't participate.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited March 2014
    This may have been the mindset 5 years ago, but the times have changed, and information sharing has evolved. Many more games (and companies not even in the entertainment sector) are using their Wikis, or 3rd party Wikis if they already exist (like the STOWiki), to house information. The reason: an entire playerbase (or usergroup) can contribute information much faster and in greater detail than a few of us on the Community Team can*. The STOWiki has flourished into an amazing resource that has allowed us and the community to utilize it as a knowledge base, and we are proud of the fact that we can link to it and call it the official Wiki.

*Of course the CM team could take all that over, but with how much new information is pumped out in each blog, patch, and update, that would require us to set aside most of our other projects, including community engagement, livestreams, events, and much more. We're humans, not Androids, so we can't do it all, and we consider Engagement far more impacting for our Community :)

Regarding your concerns, we're official partners with the Wiki, which is owned by Curse. One of their main business lines is their Wikis, and they are very successful with the traffic that visits it. They have a vested interest in ensuring the doomsday scenarios you mentioned do not occur, and take proper safety measures for backups, etc.

I do appreciate your feedback, and hopefully this post helps illustrate the greater picture a bit better.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANDON!!!!

I miss you!!!! WE Miss you!!!

Psst...plz tell Smirk to do his live streams 1 or 2 hours later than what he already has set... I never missed (well just 1, which was when you left ~ yes I feel bad for missing out on that livestream) out on your Livestreams as they where at the time i got off school!!!

No the live streams for Smirk... I've missed every single one of them ://///

PLZ tell him!!! lol

I know, I know, I know, it's off topic but... :D
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I don't know if you guys do this already, but it'd be nice if you had resource to update the wiki. Given so many players use it to get to grips with the game it'd only help retention if the articles were updated by the people who developed the systems and content.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Liked & Followed. Thanks!
    For anyone QQ about not using social media. You dont have to tweet or post to your fb guys, you can just make accounts, like and follow, and apply for free stuffs.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Twitter in particular can be tremendously useful, and is only as "stupid" as the user chooses to make it. I follow a pretty vast swath of journalists and politicians, and its value cannot be overstated for those who choose to use it in a productive way.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    I don't know if you guys do this already, but it'd be nice if you had resource to update the wiki. Given so many players use it to get to grips with the game it'd only help retention if the articles were updated by the people who developed the systems and content.

It would be nice, but those resources are better used on developing the game, doing CM engagement, etc. We could hire someone to do that, but then again, I think you would all rather having that extra person developing the game, doing CM engagement, etc. when the Wiki already gets as much love as it does now from the playerbase.

STO players, due the sheer number, will always be able to update the wiki faster than we ever could. It's really exciting to see how many players work on the Wiki and contribute to the Community as a whole through it. I use it all the time (used it over the weekend to decide on a Warp Core), and I was thankful it was there.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It would be nice, but those resources are better used on developing the game, doing CM engagement, etc. We could hire someone to do that, but then again, I think you would all rather having that extra person developing the game, doing CM engagement, etc. when the Wiki already gets as much love as it does now from the playerbase.

STO players, due the sheer number, will always be able to update the wiki faster than we ever could. It's really exciting to see how many players work on the Wiki and contribute to the Community as a whole through it. I use it all the time (used it over the weekend to decide on a Warp Core), and I was thankful it was there.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    Finally crawled from under the table? :cool:
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    Finally crawled from under the table? :cool:

Only once I stopped laughing. My stomach hurt all weekend from that lol Also, I was literally bawling from laughing so much lol

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well FB is already over 2000 likes so you guys look safe on that front.
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Only once I stopped laughing. My stomach hurt all weekend from that lol Also, I was literally bawling from laughing so much lol

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Hahaha, yeah.. It was one funny move you made there :D, could have meant sooooo many things. Ah well, I'm going too off-topic here! Glad to see you around :P.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    STOwiki is STOwiki, as Bran's pointed out. It's a business venture that generates revenue for the businesses involved. The players doing the updating means there's no expenditure on labor, which means that money can be invested into the game - whether in hiring somebody to do something else or buying some new tech to do something to improve the game.

If players could be bothered to go there to update/correct things as much as they do to view out of date info and then complain about it...well, there would be less out of date info to complain about.

Course, I'd prefer to complain personally...it gets me through the day. ;)
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    STO players, due the sheer number, will always be able to update the wiki faster than we ever could. It's really exciting to see how many players work on the Wiki and contribute to the Community as a whole through it.

'dem edits

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/578/079/477.jpg

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    roninfelroninfel Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    What about players who don't use social media?

I mean, guys like me who actually play the game instead of following the Twitbook junk are getting stiffed on this deal. Isn't this a sort of self-contradictory exercise?

I mean, you are rewarding people for spending time on social media sites rather than for playing the game. The game which makes your company money and pays your salaries when people play it.

It seems kind of counterintuitive to me.

It is called marketing....get more people to sign up or better yet...get people that haven't been active to come back because they win something and then possibly spend some RL cash....Cryptic is in business to make money not just to give you free stuff.
  • Options
    roninfelroninfel Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited March 2014

wow....

Using facebook and twitter doesn't make one an idiot or stupid...how one uses them does. considering that twitter and facebook have been the catalysts for movements around the world I would think that a self-professed intelligence such as yours would refrain from denigrating people based on a tool they use or don't use just because they have a chance to win something and you don't.

Since Cryptic is attempting to market their product and Facebook and Twitter have massive reach to the demographic that they are looking to target, what would you suggest they use instead?
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Has it occurred to any of you complainers that you can "UNLIKE" things..?

Like/Follow for the contest, then unlike it once it's over. It's not rocket science.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Has it occurred to any of you complainers that you can "UNLIKE" things..?

Like/Follow for the contest, then unlike it once it's over. It's not rocket science.

That's Witchcraft you speak of WITCHCRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    What about players who don't use social media?

I mean, guys like me who actually play the game instead of following the Twitbook junk are getting stiffed on this deal. Isn't this a sort of self-contradictory exercise?

I mean, you are rewarding people for spending time on social media sites rather than for playing the game. The game which makes your company money and pays your salaries when people play it.

It seems kind of counterintuitive to me.

I think like others have said... make alias accounts on them if you want to enter and not share your personal info. I have had Facebook and twitter for years and never had a problem. I have on Facebook changed my name and removed employment info as they constantly modify their privacy settings exposing my personal info to the search engines. I still like it for reconnecting with old friends and family makes life a lot easier to communicate with everyone.

I think its obvious as to why they want you to enter the contest from one of these two venues... MONEY. The people your friends with see you post this via those channels means free advertising and new players to the game. On Facebook it can be seen by your friends and their friends even, its a great way to advertise a product and just like word of mouth people are more likely to try a product a friend likes than one they don't know.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ummm ... I'm one of the "old farts" who don't use social media, though I do actually have both a Facebook and Twitter account, I never use them ... I would be more than happy to join in the compettion ...

I don't have the "tinfoil hat" issues about Arc or the website changes that some apparently have, and have no issues with either the Arc Launcher or the new Website setup ...

But ... What if you already have purchased the Legacy Pack? Will you purposely redraw the winner if that's the case? If so, that hardly seems 'fair'

Though the 30 Keys would, I guess, be a nice bonus, perhaps offering a LTS instead?
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    But ... What if you already have purchased the Legacy Pack? Will you purposely redraw the winner if that's the case? If so, that hardly seems 'fair'

Though the 30 Keys would, I guess, be a nice bonus, perhaps offering a LTS instead?

It says that they will send you a redemption code, so I assume that you could give that code to someone else. If you have any friends/family that don't have the legacy pack, you could give it to one of them.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    engelenhartengelenhart Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Maybe this has been asked already, don't really care to read 9 pages, but what if the lucky winner does not even play STO or is a bot?
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Member Posts: 1,263 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    I only rant during giveaways that are location-specific. The giveaways that are American or European only are not fair, since moving to another country is not a realistic option to participate in these events. Other than that, anything given away for free is great in my opinion!

It's not fair to compare people ranting about needing Facebook or Twitter to be able to win with location-specific giveaways. Most often, location-specific giveaways are that way for legal reasons. Requiring Facebook or Twitter is not.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    That's Witchcraft you speak of WITCHCRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No, Witchcraft is in CO, not STO. She's still dating Defender, even though he couldn't be bothered to leave his spot in RenCen long enough to take the Superjet to Burnside and rescue her from her sister, so some random superhero had to do that for him...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Arc is broke as hell on Chrome. Why is this? :(
  • Options
    kazapskykazapsky Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What really riles me about this whole thing is that PWE expects me to lie to the whole internet in exchange for a raffle ticket. It's unethical any way you slice it - even before you get into the security/privacy debacle that is Facebook's entire history.

I don't like anything about Arc - it eats far more memory and bandwidth than there's any excuse for, it installs secondary programs without user permission, it lacks functionality that comes standard on systems it's clearly trying to emulate, and the website is utterly useless. How DARE you ask me to give you free advertising for that pile of scrapcode?

EDIT: It hurts, is what I'm trying to say. I'm being asked to go directly against my morals in exchange for the offchance of getting something nifty.
    Arc is garbage. End of discussion.
  • Options
    wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Much like many of those who have already posted in this thread, I do not use facebook or twitter. I find the basis of this raffle to be fundamentally unfair on these grounds. I will, therefore, not be taking part.

Actually, I am somewhat encouraged to see others, like me, who choose not to use Facebook or Twitter. I guess I'm not alone in the universe.