Install Arc
Options

STO Website migration

Comments

• Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I love the new website.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    coldwarrior69coldwarrior69 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    wombat140 wrote: »
    PS: Coldwarrior, just so you know, those cookies never get the chance to do that with my browser, because I use Firefox with the NoScript add-on which prevents any scripts from running unless I've specifically approved that site. The new STO website still works fine (or as fine as it's capable of) under those conditions.

I'm gonna look in to that NoScript add-on for firefox since i use firefox as well because of the new ARC site and PWE's damn near illegal data mining attempts.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There is NO illegal data mining of people's browser or computer. So just stop.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So, any progress toward making that "Stay logged in" button more than just cosmetic?
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited February 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    So... How do I transfer my characters to Tribble with the new site...?

You'll be able to in the near future. Please see this thread that was posted a couple months ago, and bumped a few times to give plenty of warning, for information: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=941331

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You'll be able to in the near future. Please see this thread that was posted a couple months ago, and bumped a few times to give plenty of warning, for information: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=941331

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Too bad we didn't any warning like this over at your sister game of CO.

And WEEKS?!? Seriously? PWE brought the new website up without this BASIC FUNCTIONALITY and it'll take WEEKS for it to work again?

I have nothing more to say.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The Tribble copy function still works. I have posted a work around here.
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    So... How do I transfer my characters to Tribble with the new site...?
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/community/tribble-test

If you're adventurous, it appears to still work. Just need to delete the spam Arc popup.

Using Firefox with Firebug extension, load link, wait for Arc redirect count down and when at 1sec tap Escape key for a few seconds to cancel page load.
    Open firebug, find a DIV with "redirect-lb-backdrop" in it, select/highlight the div code and right click select "delete element". That gets rid of the spam.
    Web page appears to function as normal after that. At the least, it tells me my toon copied over ok. Can't check in game atm.

EDIT: Oh, beaten too it. What robdmc suggests works too.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    vamerrasvamerras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Pls. apply a proper 301 redirect on old URLs. I'm searching content on Google and it is annoying to land on the old site just to be redirected to the main page of the new site.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    It's me, logging in again. Any luck finding a web developer who actually has an idea how to make "Stay logged in" do anything besides troll everyone who clicks it? :eek:
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Huh, I must have missed this despite checking dev tracker pretty often. Good thing I've got some old toons transfered already, so it's not that big of a deal.

Thanks for the reply.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    djezc#0623 djezc Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    one thing i do not like about the new web site is it dose not have the sever up or server down icon which i watch when we are down like today
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Oh, and seriously- while y'all are flailing around trying to recreate the functionality of the site you just tossed into the rubbish pile, how about some of the basic functionality it lacked all along?

Do you know just how much nicer this place would be if, like real internet forums, it had an ignore list? You obviously know what such is for, else you wouldn't have one in-game. Thing is, the same applies here. I could think of these forums as Nirvana if I could just block all the wasted space used by a half-dozen dedicated trolling twits, and I don't doubt a few people would think the same of not having to see my commentary any more.

How about it, some real useful functionality and less hard-sell fluff? "C'mon, throw [us] a frikkin' bone here..."
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The new Arc website is AWESOME!
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's me, logging in again. Any luck finding a web developer who actually has an idea how to make "Stay logged in" do anything besides troll everyone who clicks it? :eek:

I realised there's this problem a couple days back. Somehow, it is the old main page that 'kept you logged in'. And it still does. If you visit http://sto.perfectworld.com/ you'll stay logged in.

(Of course it's annoying the new page doesn't work on its own, not to mention it's hideous.)
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Is it me, or is the STO website worst every time it's revamped?

1st site had ship and game info, which was edited away.

2nd site had an easy user friendly layout, which was edited away.

3rd site has a terrible layout, and even less info on it than before. Going through ARC makes it worst.

Please....Just stop...

If you want STO to live on, u need a good website that gives GAME INFO and details the reason people like STAR TREK

the SHIPS, the ALIENS, and the PLOTLINES... None of which can you get from your website. Every other Game website has info on the game content... every OTHER game website.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    This needs to be merged with the "Minor forum changes" thread in Galactic News Network.

Edit: Told ya'. XD
  • Options
    daniela1055daniela1055 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ALL RSS Feeds of ALL arcgames.com pages are broken since they launched.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    ALL RSS Feeds of ALL arcgames.com pages are broken since they launched.

I'm sure PWE will fix it.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I'm sure PWE will fix it.

Seriously, dude...cut back on the Red Bull already.
  • Options
    captwilhelmcaptwilhelm Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    garside wrote: »
    Is it me, or is the STO website worst every time it's revamped?

1st site had ship and game info, which was edited away.

2nd site had an easy user friendly layout, which was edited away.

3rd site has a terrible layout, and even less info on it than before. Going through ARC makes it worst.

Please....Just stop...

If you want STO to live on, u need a good website that gives GAME INFO and details the reason people like STAR TREK

the SHIPS, the ALIENS, and the PLOTLINES... None of which can you get from your website. Every other Game website has info on the game content... every OTHER game website.

There is wisdom in these words...
    Pre-forum change name: Captain Wilhelm

Thanks Cryptic for introducing the Kelvin Timeline. It remembered why I decided to never more put any money on this game.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The new Arc website is AWESOME!

You know, I would love to hear your opinion of my ideas for PWE to enhance the Arc site. Click the link in my signature; it'll take you to a post several pages back in this same thread.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Okay it's probably a foregone conclusion that tiles are here to stay, even though a lot of us hate them.. So any feedback we give will probably have to fit within that since the STO site design has to be mirrored for all of PWE's games. (Well the layout at least.) Here is my constructive advice.

So with those criteria in mind here is something I have been doing. It took less than 1 work day and it would be trivially easy for the web guys to emulate (I ENCOURAGE IT!) for not just the STO site, but for all PWE Arc sites.

Using only some CSS changes and the Stylish extension for Firefox the website looks like this in my browser, live, right now (no photoshop involved!):
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/mightybob2000/PWE_Site_Changes/MB_CSS.jpg~original

*Removed rotating banner
    *Removed persistent videos
    *Changed background
    *Tweaked a few CSS properties (mostly transparency, color, border strokes)

This will reduce my blood pressure and make the site more usable for me personally, but why stop there?

The following is what I believe an even better (from a visual, branding, and smooth UX experience stance) layout would be like, again with changes that would be incredibly easy for the web guys to implement in a few hours or less. I could do all of this in my browser with a Greasemonkey script if I were any good at javascript, but I'm not, so these images were made by building on top of my CSS changes above and adding to them by editing the page HTML with Firebug. (To be clear, the only photoshop in the next 6 images is the server status and search box.)

New News page:
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/mightybob2000/PWE_Site_Changes/MB_News3.jpg~original
    Product page:
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/mightybob2000/PWE_Site_Changes/MB_Product3.jpg~original
    Guides:
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/mightybob2000/PWE_Site_Changes/MB_Guides3.jpg~original
    Media:
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/mightybob2000/PWE_Site_Changes/MB_Media3.jpg~original

-edit-
    1-column news:
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/mightybob2000/PWE_Site_Changes/MB_News_1Column.jpg~original
    2-column news:
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/mightybob2000/PWE_Site_Changes/MB_News_2Column.jpg~original

There's a bit of a negative space issue when doing it as 1 or 2 columns but with some image rescaling and using larger snippets from the full articles (at Cryptic's discretion) they could solve that fairly easily.
    /edit
    -edit#2-
    Okay I did it. I dove in and took a shot at a Greasemonkey script. My amateur code is really pooptacular but I got everything as seen in my concept images except for the Server Status indicator and the search box.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/mightybob2000/PWE_Site_Changes/MB_CSS_v2.jpg~original

No photoshop trickery involved. Just the Stylish theme I wrote before, combined with a new Greasemonkey script.
    /edit#2

*Duplicating the nav bar to the Product page reduces user confusion and reduces a degree of navigation digging that they have to do to find links.
    *Moving the Product Page button link over to the left of the nav bar unifies it with the rest of the visual style and places it in closer proximity to the rest of the controls.
    *Search is search. Search is good. Search is friend. We likey search.
    *Duplicating the div box that contains the Product List from the Product page to all of the other pages does 2 things:
    ***1. It ensures that when you change from the Product page to any of the other pages, the navigation bar buttons and the beginning of content stay in the exact same x,y location (no visual popping, no confusion)
    ***2. It's a handy dandy place for a game logo and banner! Lots of people were complaining that "Star Trek Online" was a puny line of text on the other pages which was A) Demeaning to the brand, and B) Potentially confusing to brand new users that might think the page was for 'some game called Arc'
    *Transparencies in CSS optional but sexy and help to combat the complaints about the site being a homogenized dull slab of gray.
    *Backgrounds! You have giant wallpaper art Cryptic/PWE, use it!
    *Server status. I don't need to explain this one.
    *Banner list and persistent video block: To be frank, I didn't complain about the rotating banners on the previous STO site because they didn't eat up such a large chunk of my screen and they were visually distinct in their own frame/window. In this Arc site they are both large and their div/cell containers are basically the same bland style as all of the other news boxes which makes it more difficult to distinguish what the latest news is because they all blend together. Their functions are also duplicated on other pages. They irk me. I removed them.

I believe that these changes would be well received for all PWE/Arc sub-sites (just swap out the content for game-specific content).

TL;DR: Look at my shiny pictures.

I love it! I think Arc would be a much better program than it is right now (and it's pretty good right now!) and it would also be tons more popular. /support
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Then you should definitely stop hanging around in the forums and put your TRIBBLE to work fixin' it. (Obviously, if you have time to **** around here under a shallowly concealed phalse Ident, you have time to get your TRIBBLE back to work coding on the Arc site...)

*Sigh* Here we go: I don't work for PWE or Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    *Sigh* Here we go: I don't work for PWE or Cryptic.

But level with us- your incessant over-the-top brown-nosing is an attempt to get hired, right? :P
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,522 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You guys know that not every non-hater is an employee of Cryptic, or PWE, or Arc, or...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    crm14916 wrote: »
    You guys know that not every non-hater is an employee of Cryptic, or PWE, or Arc, or...

CM

the haters won't listen. They think everyone who supports ARC, PWE/Cryptic are paid by cryptic, employees hiding behind a regular account.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    patrickngo wrote: »
    If PWE is following industry standards, you're probably a temp-so your statement is likely true-but your cheerleading, and demonstrated lack of interest OR KNOWLEDGE about the game indicates you're an employee-probably low level, and probably a temp.

Here's the problem, item by item...

The site: it's called user experience and advertising, the site's poorly done, it may not be difficult to navigate, but it's a pain in the TRIBBLE to navigate. If you visit the STEAM site for STO, and compare them, you will find that the STEAM page talks about STO, not about STEAM.

The assumption, of course, being that if you're there, you already KNOW about STEAM, you don't need to be inforned. For a user clicking the ad-banner about Star Trek Online, the place they should arrive at, is a page where Star Trek Online is the predominant information-that is, the STO logo is larger than the host's, there needs to be pictures and screenies showing new guys whom are the people you're trying to lure in, just what a kewl, awesome game STO is. Maybe a nice little tour ending at "Play Now" and "If you liked this, try our other games..."

That's how you advertise a game-site-host professionally-see, the big splash ads on websites to lure new people in? they don't talk about ARC, they talk about the game.

When a new user shows up -NOW...they don't get a taste of how awesome STO is, they get a disorganized, disordered, unclear and clunky site full of tiles and clutter, and the game they clicked interest in? is in the back-seat, behind badly designed links.

Which makes ARC look unprofessional and poorly done.

What I'm trying to get across is, user-experience says this is shoddy work, so when you, and a few other boosters suddenly appear out of nowhere to chant about how awesome this new system is, it's obvious-you're obviously following directions...badly.

You're not a gamer, you're just an underpaid ad-man trying to do some social engineering without knowing a ****ing thing about the audience you're trying to manipulate.

This makes you an outsider, and ten times LESS likely to influence a positive response, than someone who actually has a background and can engage intelligently with examples and experience.

My thoughts exactly
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]