What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Website migration

Comments

• Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just me logging in again. Nothing to see here.

EDIT: Wait, on second thought: Am I the only one who keeps getting "javascript:void(0);" essentially "stuck" in the lower-left corner of my browser? (Chrome Version 33.0.1750.117 m) This just started with the "migration," and this is the only place it happens. Refreshing the page usually gets rid of it, but still- what the...?
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    LOL

aperantly i am using an unsupported browser now for the website and it looks broken and worse LOL

who knew chrome was a rare browser to not be supported
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Chrome isn't an unsupported browser cause I use chrome over anything else and I have no issues with the site.
  • Options
    gcangelgcangel Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Why when I try to read blogs and don't have arc installed I am having it shoved down my throat? BY THIS WEBSITE!!!!!!
  • Options
    donbodonbo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well yesterday I went to purchase some zen and was redirected to the new web site. After clicking on the Zen tab i waited for 5 minutes before being taken to the page to purchase zen. Not impressed with the big tiles to select which denomination you want to purchase, even less impressed with having to dig to find where I could enter my ultimate game card info to complete the transaction. But the biggest problem was haveing to spend close to 25 minutes trying to navigate to My Wallet to transfer the zen to the game. This is your idea of new and improved. Two old sayings for you; If its not broke dont fix it, and New isnt always better! Please fix the links to function properly. Oh and one last note your migration and redirection to the new web site apprantly isnt working either since i accessed the forums via the old web site to post this. Remember people appreciate well designed and tested products....in all honesty I would give this new web page a C, (get rid of the tiles and it goes to a B).
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Howdy, just me logging in again because, y'know- PWE web developer.
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Howdy, just me logging in again because, y'know- PWE web developer.

Weird, I'm having no problems staying logged in. Sometimes when I open the site it says I'm not, but if I click "login" with the middle mouse button it will open a new tab where I am logged in without having to put in any details.

The STO forums have been doing this to me since before the redesign.
  • Options
    awyiisawyiis Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So, where can you create a subscription for gold membership? Or does that no longer exist at all?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    Weird, I'm having no problems staying logged in.

Well, I'm obviously not so lucky.

Yep, logging in again. I've had better experiences with GeoCities sites. :(
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,057 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    awyiis wrote: »
    So, where can you create a subscription for gold membership? Or does that no longer exist at all?

Click on media and it is third from the top on left hand side
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Well, I'm obviously not so lucky.

Yep, logging in again. I've had better experiences with GeoCities sites. :(

You're not alone in that. Myself and many others have reported the same problem in this thread about not being able to 'stay logged in'.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    SUGGESTION

It would be nice if new messages on the News page would be highlighted so that readers know that they are new instead of looking like everything else and blending in to the point that you don't know which message is which.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    rabidredneck02rabidredneck02 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    velqua wrote: »
    suggestion

it Would Be Nice If New Messages On The News Page Would Be Highlighted So That Readers Know That They Are New Instead Of Looking Like Everything Else And Blending In To The Point That You Don't Know Which Message Is Which.

Very Much Agreed!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    You're not alone in that. Myself and many others have reported the same problem in this thread about not being able to 'stay logged in'.

Wait for it- waaaaait for iiiiit- yep, logging in again.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    then it is a problem on your end cause I can login once and stay logged in. I use chrome.
  • Options
    crash490rcrash490r Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    TL;DR: Look at my shiny pictures.

Just curious how this project is going, so far I really like the improvements you made.
    LTS Since 2012
    do1ao9.jpg
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,057 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    velqua wrote: »
    SUGGESTION

It would be nice if new messages on the News page would be highlighted so that readers know that they are new instead of looking like everything else and blending in to the point that you don't know which message is which.

You have to take into consideration the site is still pretty much in a transitional stage. Improvements will come.
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    eazzie wrote: »
    You have to take into consideration the site is still pretty much in a transitional stage. Improvements will come.

I don't like the peoples' expectation that everything is going to be perfect right away. However, the person was just pointing out something that might perfect the website, so, there's a difference.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    rhoric wrote: »
    Chrome isn't an unsupported browser cause I use chrome over anything else and I have no issues with the site.

chrome is the only browser i have and today still says i am using an unsupported browser LOL
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    crash490r wrote: »
    Just curious how this project is going, so far I really like the improvements you made.

Still tweaking. I mean it's useable but my code is like a cudgel and it requires two separate browser extensions right now.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I miss this...

A lot...
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    captwilhelmcaptwilhelm Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I understand you guys at PWE are in love with the Arc plataform. I think it is nice to have a centralized place where you can get info on all the games you play. The problem is: I do not care about the other games from PWE. I do not want to diminish the work of the other game developers. But these games don't appeal to me. It is just a matter of taste. I like to blow ships in space, not to kill monsters in a cave using spells. So arc is useless to me.

Esthetically speaking, the old site was better because it was more trek themed. Also, the news was better organized. So, please, consider maintaining the old site online, for the sake of the many people I am sure thinks like me.

Side note: The old side could be even better if put in LCARS layout :D
    Pre-forum change name: Captain Wilhelm

Thanks Cryptic for introducing the Kelvin Timeline. It remembered why I decided to never more put any money on this game.
  • Options
    coldwarrior69coldwarrior69 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Interesting read about the new site's cookie policy as it pertains to the new ARC site... Especially the section on tracking cookies and the fact that the 3 third party cookies you have listed which are doubleclick.net, chartboost, and Peanut Labs which are blacklisted by multiple credible antivirus program sites as malicious tracking redirection cookies.

Read for yourself ... http://www.arcgames.com/en/about/cookie

Thoughts?

P.S. The one thing that the cookie policy does not mention about the third party tracking cookies you are forced to accept to use the new arc site is that the reason they are labeled as malicious redirection cookies is due to the fact that after a certain length of time they hijack a users browser and then hijack a users system to inundate the user with pop up advertisements.
  • Options
    sarek93sarek93 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just wanted to note that the character transfer to the Tribble test servers seems to have disappeared with the new website. Is there a new location for it? All the links around the web link to the old page.
    "Insufficient facts always invite danger." - Spock
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,529 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Interesting read about the new site's cookie policy as it pertains to the new ARC site... Especially the section on tracking cookies and the fact that the 3 third party cookies you have listed which are doubleclick.net, chartboost, and Peanut Labs which are blacklisted by multiple credible antivirus program sites as malicious tracking redirection cookies.

Read for yourself ... http://www.arcgames.com/en/about/cookie

Thoughts?

P.S. The one thing that the cookie policy does not mention about the third party tracking cookies you are forced to accept to use the new arc site is that the reason they are labeled as malicious redirection cookies is due to the fact that after a certain length of time they hijack a users browser and then hijack a users system to inundate the user with pop up advertisements.

They don't seem concerned with people leaving STO over Arc and they don't seem to care less if you come to the forums. All they seem to be interested in is your personal data and finding the best way to get it while populate whatever you use to access this site and game to get at it one way or another.

Cookies being used in malicious ways is nothing new. You can block cookies in your browser or just limit that to blocking third party cookies. Having a good Anti-Spyware/Anti-Malware/Anti-Virus is key to keeping your computer safe from any sort of malicious stuff on the internet.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've been keeping out of the whole Arc furore, but the new website is another matter as I can't just ignore that. Here's my two penn'orth to add to the total:

Sorry, all, but it really does look depressing, with all these grey squares. Sort of the equivalent of Federation Starbases in the game, however much you dress them up the grey metal panelling keeps showing through. I hope the web designers didn't charge you too much for that, because if so you've been taken for a ride. The old website was dramatic and all, but at least it had style. (Kind of like Star Trek :-) )

More importantly, and the reason I'm posting, I can't find anything! Well, I can find News postings, and that seems to be pretty much it. I've just spent 10 minutes trying to track down the Foundry section and tutorials. Wasn't until I was about to give up that I finally got at it via a link in an old news posting... a link to the OLD Foundry section! It's one of those websites that are getting everywhere recently, possibly something to do with smartphones - "Look, here are the pages we think you'll want to look at, ready and waiting for you! Oh - you wanted a different page after all? Err... sorry, not sure how to do that, it might be in the basement somewhere."

And yes, it loaded quite slowly for me, too.

In short - PWE, you've been sold a pup. Go back to Arc Games and insist on a proper website.
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    PS: Coldwarrior, just so you know, those cookies never get the chance to do that with my browser, because I use Firefox with the NoScript add-on which prevents any scripts from running unless I've specifically approved that site. The new STO website still works fine (or as fine as it's capable of) under those conditions.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Analogy: The new site is like a prison. The tiles are like the prison cells, and the content is/are the prisoners. Because depressing gray.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So... How do I transfer my characters to Tribble with the new site...?
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    heero139heero139 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I can tolerate the new website layout, because I can find what I need and bookmark it, even though I hate it.

But I'm not going to refresh the website every 2 hours to check for news. Bring back the feed.
    Zekkie@h33r0yuy