test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Battles channel (Got Canon?)

Comments

• dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Sounds good, actually adds some challenge and requiring team work to do Advanced STFs. Ripping through STFs in under 4 minutes does cause some game immersion loss.... Of course 6 beam arrays with FAW is not that much below the current meta...

Maybe limit every ship to no more than 2 of the same weapon.... 2 BA, 2 cannons, 2 turrets, 2 torpedoes etc...
  • trizeo1trizeo1 Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Greetings Captain 07
    dpsloss88 wrote: »
    Sounds good, actually adds some challenge and requiring team work to do Advanced STFs. Ripping through STFs in under 4 minutes does cause some game immersion loss.... Of course 6 beam arrays with FAW is not that much below the current meta...

Maybe limit every ship to no more than 2 of the same weapon.... 2 BA, 2 cannons, 2 turrets, 2 torpedoes etc...

My preferred layout is 1 BA and 3 torps fore & aft. I haven't tried that setup since DR but I planning to in the near future.

At present I am trying to push my canon build as far as I can with my MVAE. Currently it has 3 BA's 1 torp fore & 1 BA 2 torp aft and using the ol' FAW and TS with APB to see how high I can get MY dps up in my canon ship. It will be tailored more to doing the elite stuff really. Actually took into Breach elite and we made it to the last chamber but ran out of time. We lost one of our team mates but I believe if he was there also concentrate on the cores in the 2nd last phase we would've stood a REALLY good chance in finishing it....

When it comes to suggested layouts.. I really just go.. if you see/saw it... that's what we're going for. PERSONALLY the 1 BA 3 torp setup was really close IMO coupled with using BO & TS/HY. How I would LOVE to be able to use Surgical Strikes on all my ships as it looks REALLY good IMO.

DR has been different and has forced some of us to change our builds to meet the challenges they present... STB prior to DR was different but I try to just keep having fun whilst keeping it canon when possible.

I've been watching a lot of battle scenes and I really wish that could be translated to STO but it's hard to do sometimes.

Hope to see you in game 07
    edited May 2015
    Zacky!
    Sorry for not having been on much lately (other then the 1.5 runs Monday), but a Saturday I came down with a virus, and yesterday (19th) was my birthday. Anyway, I'm nearing 60 on my main, only 1.5 levels to go!

Happy B-lated Bday Captain!

No need to apologize for not on... IRL is a real thing.. haha

I know it also doesn't help that we in different timezones.. sometimes when you or Reyan comes on it's late and I'm winding down but just ask and we'll pew pew something real quick haha.

Grats on nearing 60... that final push is brutal sometimes going thru an episode then having the meter go up like 1/4 haha.

Hope to see you online soon Zacky! 07
  • admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    trizeo1 wrote: »
    Zacky!

Happy B-lated Bday Captain!

No need to apologize for not on... IRL is a real thing.. haha

I know it also doesn't help that we in different timezones.. sometimes when you or Reyan comes on it's late and I'm winding down but just ask and we'll pew pew something real quick haha.

Grats on nearing 60... that final push is brutal sometimes going thru an episode then having the meter go up like 1/4 haha.

Hope to see you online soon Zacky! 07

Not only are timezones a problem, but in the middle of hte night, (when you are usually on) BT only gives me between 0.5 and 3 download speed, when in the day I get between 20 and 30.
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • waldotrekwaldotrek Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Timezones will always be a problem. it's just the nature of things.
    Former Moderator 10-28-16
  • tyriniussstyriniusss Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I just want to pop in and correct some things here:

This is nearly entirely correct, but the Counter-Command Multi-Conduit relay is just a normal tactical console that grants 13.1% bonus damage to phasers or disruptors. It is a cat 1 bonus, and works off the base weapon damage, same as other tactical consoles, weapon mods, weapon mark, skill points, and more things. This means that as a standalone, I wouldn't use the console.

The 2-set - the 7.5% bonus phaser damage - is in fact on a different level, and multiplies the sum of the effects of weapon mods, weapon mark, tactical consoles, skill points, and a few other things. This makes running the 2-set generally worth using the console.

Source: Here, and I just verified the console's state in-game.

Thank you for popping in here! I always found it tough to evaluate how useful the Multi-Conduit Energy Relay, and the Counter Command Ordnance set in general, is for canon builds.
    For Klingon and Romulan ships with (Bio-) Disruptors and (Bio-) Photons it seems like a no-brainer as you can get the 2-piece bonus by slotting both the torp and the heavy turret alone. Adding in the Relay benefits both, so you probably end up running the 3-piece set anyway. If it's beam boat running the Relay and the torp still gets you the bonus.

For Federation ships however the only way to get the bonus and stay true to canon is by slotting the Hydrodynamics Compensator in addition to the Relay.
    So you give up a locator and a slot that could be used for a better universal console.
    Using both consoles seems to be the optimal approach on cruisers if you don't have access to more expensive offensive consoles (tachyokinetic converter et al) and are using Photons in addition to Phasers. In that case the turn rate bonus from the Compensator actually adds to your damage as well, so there's some synergy.
    On more nimble ships (or getting more turn through other means) and having access to Crit stacking (both Lobi consoles, all Tac BOFFs SROs) it doesn't look like it's really worth it, especially if not running Photons.

dpsloss88 wrote: »

As Trizeo already said, some of us are trying to see how far we can push this, having elite content in mind. Limiting weapon choice is not the way to go, as it would make it hard to replicate canon looks. Before Delta Rising our system of just limiting the maximum DPS worked really well, so we'd most probably get back to this.
    But so far our advanced runs seem to be pretty balanced. We some on the lower end, some on the higher end. I can't remember when we last DPSed our way through the content. We need teamplay and dedicated roles (CC, Probe Duties etc) in every run, even IF we bring a lot of DPS. So it seems fine to me for now.
    Greetings Captain 07

My preferred layout is 1 BA and 3 torps fore & aft. I haven't tried that setup since DR but I planning to in the near future.

At present I am trying to push my canon build as far as I can with my MVAE. Currently it has 3 BA's 1 torp fore & 1 BA 2 torp aft and using the ol' FAW and TS with APB to see how high I can get MY dps up in my canon ship. It will be tailored more to doing the elite stuff really. Actually took into Breach elite and we made it to the last chamber but ran out of time. We lost one of our team mates but I believe if he was there also concentrate on the cores in the 2nd last phase we would've stood a REALLY good chance in finishing it....

When it comes to suggested layouts.. I really just go.. if you see/saw it... that's what we're going for. PERSONALLY the 1 BA 3 torp setup was really close IMO coupled with using BO & TS/HY. How I would LOVE to be able to use Surgical Strikes on all my ships as it looks REALLY good IMO.

DR has been different and has forced some of us to change our builds to meet the challenges they present... STB prior to DR was different but I try to just keep having fun whilst keeping it canon when possible.

I've been watching a lot of battle scenes and I really wish that could be translated to STO but it's hard to do sometimes.

Hope to see you in game 07

One BA fore and aft, rest torps is definitely the most show accurate loadout one can use!
    With upgraded weapons an attack-running cruiser works for advanced content (and even better with a full team specced in command). It sure is ages behind spamming BFAW (even only 6), but that's what elite is supposed to be for: min/max.

But we had insanely well performing STB ships before, but we kept them in dock, so no reason to be concerned about that. Personally I'd love to get back to the Exeter, but I get one-shot all the time now :D

On a side-note: I'm online much less frequently now, due to a combination of real life duties, connection issues, and being fed-up by some decisions by whoever really makes the decisions concerning STO :D
  • jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    tyriniusss wrote: »
    Thank you for popping in here! I always found it tough to evaluate how useful the Multi-Conduit Energy Relay, and the Counter Command Ordnance set in general, is for canon builds.
    For Klingon and Romulan ships with (Bio-) Disruptors and (Bio-) Photons it seems like a no-brainer as you can get the 2-piece bonus by slotting both the torp and the heavy turret alone. Adding in the Relay benefits both, so you probably end up running the 3-piece set anyway. If it's beam boat running the Relay and the torp still gets you the bonus.

For Federation ships however the only way to get the bonus and stay true to canon is by slotting the Hydrodynamics Compensator in addition to the Relay.
    So you give up a locator and a slot that could be used for a better universal console.
    Using both consoles seems to be the optimal approach on cruisers if you don't have access to more expensive offensive consoles (tachyokinetic converter et al) and are using Photons in addition to Phasers. In that case the turn rate bonus from the Compensator actually adds to your damage as well, so there's some synergy.
    On more nimble ships (or getting more turn through other means) and having access to Crit stacking (both Lobi consoles, all Tac BOFFs SROs) it doesn't look like it's really worth it, especially if not running Photons.

I believe that high dps phaser/disruptor ships that don't use the turret still run the 2 console set. Especially if you're using photons, I would say that set is worth it, since in addition to being better than the locator for your energy, it provides nearly a full tac console for your photon torp - in essence, one of your engineering or sci consoles becomes a tac console for that torp. However, if you're using one of the rep torps, I'd just drop the hydrodynamic compensator. There's not generally going to be a point in anything past the 2-set, and the compensator is only really useful for the 2-set.
    As Trizeo already said, some of us are trying to see how far we can push this, having elite content in mind. Limiting weapon choice is not the way to go, as it would make it hard to replicate canon looks. Before Delta Rising our system of just limiting the maximum DPS worked really well, so we'd most probably get back to this.
    But so far our advanced runs seem to be pretty balanced. We some on the lower end, some on the higher end. I can't remember when we last DPSed our way through the content. We need teamplay and dedicated roles (CC, Probe Duties etc) in every run, even IF we bring a lot of DPS. So it seems fine to me for now.

Interesting. I hop on this thread from now and then because I'm on the forums to help, and you're a good bunch of people. So, just as an question for you guys - how much of a survivability problem do you all experience? As in, how useful (as opposed to a more dps focused ship or a control ship) would a tank be to you all? (If that question completely misses the point of this channel, I wholeheartedly apologise, and please let me know. I have no wish to offend anyone here or be an annoyance.)
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
    edited May 2015
    Greetings 07
    I believe that high dps phaser/disruptor ships that don't use the turret still run the 2 console set. Especially if you're using photons, I would say that set is worth it, since in addition to being better than the locator for your energy, it provides nearly a full tac console for your photon torp - in essence, one of your engineering or sci consoles becomes a tac console for that torp. However, if you're using one of the rep torps, I'd just drop the hydrodynamic compensator. There's not generally going to be a point in anything past the 2-set, and the compensator is only really useful for the 2-set.

Interesting. I hop on this thread from now and then because I'm on the forums to help, and you're a good bunch of people. So, just as an question for you guys - how much of a survivability problem do you all experience? As in, how useful (as opposed to a more dps focused ship or a control ship) would a tank be to you all? (If that question completely misses the point of this channel, I wholeheartedly apologise, and please let me know. I have no wish to offend anyone here or be an annoyance.)

I would like to thank you for popping in and offering the help/info you have given. It's always nice having others give advice on how improve canon builds.

I have stated that myself and some are trying to see how far we can push canon builds with what STO has to offer. BUT I will stress for the most part it's NOT about having uber DPS. It's more about looking canon... that's it. Some will want to try to push the DPS some will just be happy with what they got... and that's ok. We play missions and if adjustments need to be made then so be it but more importantly it's about playing STO the ST way and having fun more than anything.

Playing STO like this is not for everyone but we welcome all who want to try it out to see if it's their cup of tea.

In asnwer to your questions... for me survivability has been ok.. I do blow up but sometimes there are times that I don't. When I take the aggro tho expect me to go boom! :D I know when Setek is in DPS mode he has trouble as well if there's no one to take the aggro from him.

Would a tank be welcomed?... YES! As long as it's canon of course :D Setek has asked at times we try the hard stuff if we have a dedicated tank...But ANY Captain.. ship.. or build is welcomed to STB.. we will work with what we have and.... well... PLAY STO like ST.

I thank you for your consideration but I don't think you have offended anyone here by your questions and I hope that you will pop into the channel and run some pew pewz with us.

TC 07
    edited May 2015

So it seems to be a go-tp console for canon builds, with photons anyway. And yeah, the 3 and 4 pice doesn't offer much.

Well, before Delta Rising I flew the Exeter as my main STB ship, which was totally feasible, as we have a LOT of cross healing. Furthermore most of the builds in the STB channel are heavy on the defensive side, but even going in guns blazing there's not enough damage-in to make a dedicated tank necessary in advanced. I fly the same ship in 30k that I fly in STB and I hardly get into trouble.

HOWEVER: For elite content the trinity of tank/debuff/DPS is huge in STB runs. I got kicked from the server last time we wanted to do Breach Elite, but what I heard they were close to completing it.
    For Elite Content we definitely need dedicated Tanks, just as we need dedicated Crowd Control, it all depends on the mission.
    We're just waiting for more Elite Content to be sure....
    edited May 2015
    TRIZEO! Stop telling people that I blow up occasionally! :D
    edited May 2015

Yeah, that's my job!

• jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015

You couldn't have blown up more than I did in that Hive run tonight. :)

Reminds me of back in ~S9, when me and my friend Draxx used to run HSE all the time... We failed more than we won, and died so many times, but man, was it ever fun.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
    edited May 2015
    You couldn't have blown up more than I did in that Hive run tonight. :)

Reminds me of back in ~S9, when me and my friend Draxx used to run HSE all the time... We failed more than we won, and died so many times, but man, was it ever fun.

I blew up more then you, my Atrox really wasn't made for that.

• dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    HOWEVER: For elite content the trinity of tank/debuff/DPS is huge in STB runs. I got kicked from the server last time we wanted to do Breach Elite, but what I heard they were close to completing it.

We were so close to completing that. We got to the main power core and had it down to 50% when the timer ran out. If there were no timer, it was guaranteed at that point.

It's completely doable. We need to bring out best and we need a dedicated tank. I forget when you got disconnected, but the cores in the subpower core room are ridiculously resilient compared to Advanced. We lost a lot of time there, taking out the Voth and then the cores.
    edited May 2015
    Aren't the cores unshielded? It might actually be a good idea to bring a dedicated torpedoboat. Or more Vaadwaur Clusters.
    I said it back when Delta Rising released and everyone was struggling with advanced: with enough experience and the right tactics and team composition we can even beat elite content in canon builds. Exciting to this happen :)
  • waldotrekwaldotrek Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    1st Thanks for this channel and all the fun it's been and will continue to be

2nd Elite completion in STB could maybe be a goal for this channel over the next few months? STB for me has always been a) running canon builds and b) showing what teamwork can really do in this game

All for now.
    Former Moderator 10-28-16
    edited May 2015
    waldotrek wrote: »
    1st Thanks for this channel and all the fun it's been and will continue to be

+1!
    waldotrek wrote: »
    2nd Elite completion in STB could maybe be a goal for this channel over the next few months? STB for me has always been a) running canon builds and b) showing what teamwork can really do in this game

Only a matter of time. I just did 45k in my STB Galaxy oO
    I'll love my TRIBBLE off if I get into the 50k Channel with an STB build :D

What I want to say: Whatever HP numbers they'll throw at us in Elite content: we'll be able to get enough and we'll can fill the rest with teamwork!
    edited June 2015
    Woke up to an unexpected shutdown message on my PC this morning and found the fan on my video card stopped working again. Giving it a good cleaning it like I did the last time this was an issue hasn't helped, so I've ordered a replacement heatsink. Unfortunately, the one I chose only had a slow 8 to 15 day shipping option, so it's going to be a while before I can get back on STO. (Thursday is going to be torture, let me tell you...) My experience is that these estimates are usually wrong and I get things sooner than the minimum, but watch that not be the case this time.

Just wanted to keep everyone informed -- I mentioned this in chat earlier but I don't know if the message got around. You might see me pop on from time to time to refine my dilithium, but that's about all I'll be able to do until the replacement arrives.
    edited June 2015
    Kin! 07
    Woke up to an unexpected shutdown message on my PC this morning and found the fan on my video card stopped working again. Giving it a good cleaning it like I did the last time this was an issue hasn't helped, so I've ordered a replacement heatsink. Unfortunately, the one I chose only had a slow 8 to 15 day shipping option, so it's going to be a while before I can get back on STO. (Thursday is going to be torture, let me tell you...) My experience is that these estimates are usually wrong and I get things sooner than the minimum, but watch that not be the case this time.

Just wanted to keep everyone informed -- I mentioned this in chat earlier but I don't know if the message got around. You might see me pop on from time to time to refine my dilithium, but that's about all I'll be able to do until the replacement arrives.

Sorry to hear about your PC... I do hope that you get it sooner than later.... there's always your brothers computer hahaa...JK!

Last night we did a GtGA and both optionals with 46 ships saved... best one I've been in yet! for the 2nd optional we JUST killed the last ship at the last second haha!

Felt really good about that... good enough to see if the group I was in was willing to try HSA. And in true STB fashion all the Captains said yes.

Since DR I've been able to complete it with a group from STB and have been itching to try it for some time. Well soon as I hit the first tac cube.. I forgot about the tac beam buff.. and yeah.. more than half the time I was flying without shields and or dead :D

We were able to clear about 90% of the cubes/spheres and just had like 2 cubes left over but even staying in until the timer ran out we didn't have enough time to kill the leftovers.

It was a good effort/run and I wanted o thank Captains Jonathon, Solomon, Gallen & Blaze for trying it with me and for the previous GtGA run.

Tonight we for some good ol STB fun we will be hitting up KSF and SB24 and whatever else we can do in our low tier ships... Jonathon mentioned he missed those runs so we said... let's do it tomorrow... so this is an open invitation to anyone to join in on this and STB it up!

All I have for now.. Kin, hope to see you back online soon! 07
    edited June 2015
    Sorry to hear about your PC... I do hope that you get it sooner than later.... there's always your brothers computer hahaa...JK!

Heh, I wasn't going to ask, but he actually tells me this morning that we can just take turns playing the events when that starts, so I guess I won't be missing too much. :)

Anyway, that order hadn't processed yet, so I just canceled it and put in another. Paid more than I wanted for this one, totally overdoing it for my card, but I could get 3-day shipping on it, so hopefully I'll be back up and running by Friday, if it ships out today.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    wow, that sucks. :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited June 2015
    3-day shipping = overnight, apparently. Out for delivery already.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well... some companies advertise that as a way of saying "no more than 3 days".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    I just realized that my new PADD has a built in microphone. Is anyone actually using Teamspeak for STB?
    And welcome to the new forums STB-Thread!
    I wouldn't be able to join in speaking, but I might be able to sometimes join, ubt listen only.

We now have our very own subreddit, even sporting an Andorian Snoo: https://www.reddit.com/r/startrekbattles/
    Should be a good place to discuss more specific topics and keep some information more readily available than is possible in this thread.
    As soon as I remember my Reddit log-in info, I'll log in and post there, (I'm up for helping to admin it) but, coincidentally, last night I created a STB Steam Group. Feel free to join.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/STBTL

So Triz, with this lovely new forum, can you update the thread title yet?

----

r/sto is doing a T1 ship event this weekend:

http://redd.it/3d8vfi

I'm probably going to pass, myself, but I wanted to bring it to everyone's attention. It won't be canon-restricted, but it should be fun.

You'll need to join the RedditChat channel, there are instructions here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/wiki/faq#wiki_how_do_i_join.2Fleave_chat_channels.3F
  • potasssiumpotasssium Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    I'll have to add you guys and check it out, My Nebula only runs Phasers, no torpedoes, so she is out, but my Ambassador and Galaxy-X are game. Might be the perfect group to run with my Heavy Cruiser as well Fed side anyways.

My KDF toons predominantly run Disruptors, so no problem there.

Plasma or Disruptors for Romulans with you guys?
    Thanks for the Advanced Light Cruiser, Allied Escort Bundles, Jem-Hadar Light Battlecruiser, and Mek'leth
    New Content Wishlist
    T6 updates for the Kamarag & Vor'Cha
    Heavy Cruiser & a Movie Era Style AoY Utility Cruiser
    Dahar Master Jacket

Either or. If you want to be really pedantic, Disruptors for the Imperials and Plasma for the Republic, but no one really cares. I love the look of Romulan Plasma beams, so I use those, and I've recently switched my cannons to Plasmatic Biomatter (since they use the normal cannon pulses instead of the particle effect heavy plasma ones that look terrible on lower detail settings).