test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So.....where's this choice of minigames for the Qmendations?

Comments

• rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Fair play. Courtesy. You know, those things everybody wants everybody else to treat them with?

But since there are no lines forming up in the game (and some people would just cut to the head of the line anyway) all I can worry about is my conduct.

I do not knowingly poach someone else's interact. More often than not, I'm the one being done unto.

But I do not "yell" at poachers or follow them around making a nuisance of myself. I just move along and hope to snag a different one.

I don't think you're making excuses for players' bad behavior. I just want to clarify that they don't have any excuse, no matter what Cryptic did.

Yeah, i think we're on more or less the same page here.

People don't have to find an unsociable workaround to an entirely shoddy mni game.

But, if the game is shoddy enough, it will encourage people to do so.

Happy anniversary!
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yesterday must have been open the box day, of 15 I did 12 were open the box and watch Q run like an idiot from box to box.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I find it ironic than when we complained about the road to getting the anniversary ship was to do a costly or annoying grind we didn't have to put up with last year were pretty much told by the other half of the community to quit our crying and "deal with it ".

Well, now we're "dealing with it " just fine. :) Only now it is they that are crying. If our option to not liking the daily was to simply not run it, then all of you that are tired of all of us passing on all but the runners have the same exact option to simply stop doing the daily as well.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sonnikku wrote: »
    I find it ironic than when we complained about the road to getting the anniversary ship was to do a costly or annoying grind we didn't have to put up with last year were pretty much told by the other half of the community to quit our crying and "deal with it ".

Well, now we're "dealing with it " just fine. :) Only now it is they that are crying. If our option to not liking the daily was to simply not run it, then all of you that are tired of all of us passing on all but the runners have the same exact option to simply stop doing the daily as well.

Quoted for truth.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014

that attitude is straight up spiteful.... It's not "passing" it's griefing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So, the excuse for being an askhole is "Cryptic made us do it" heheh.
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Funny i find them both pretty easy to do. I just wish we could do the event twice a day instead of once. I just want it to be over with because some players are really behaving badly because of it. Sometimes i don't want to beam down there.
  • borgus1122borgus1122 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    so cant people wait a minute for choosing the box that Q's in? That way, when they don't wait, make other players run around to find another Q. And also Catch a Q is mismatched. Sometimes, when you finaly get a popup to appear, and the other player is standing next to it, than you don't know is a catch the Q for you or for the other player. This is total fail mini game. Like sameone before me said - taht if you se someone trying to activate Q, go on and find another one. And also, wait for box mini game to end and than go to activate another Q. One minute to wait is not that long.
  • dimitranokaidimitranokai Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This event is zero fun. It's a meaningless timesink. The shell game is slow and boring. The chase is boring but quick. Since none of it is enjoyable, I'm going to pick the quick option versus the slow one.

Sometimes if I hit three shell games in a row, I'll run back and chain-finish them, but usually not.

This event is terrible. It's hardly even an "event". It's one dumb mini-game they make you do 15 times for absolutely no reason. Stop blaming players for trying to avoid as much of the terrible-ness as they can. If you want to sit there and stare at boxes crawling past each other, nobody's stopping you.

If you want to get riled up at someone, try the devs for phoning this in.
    edited February 2014
    borgus1122 wrote: »
    One minute to wait is not that long.

It is when I can get 4 out of 5 runs of that execrable excuse for a hideously designed minigame done in the minute I'd waste waiting for the boxes to stop dancing so I can start 1 run.

And the fact that I can do the other 4 while that minute runs and still make it back to finish that 1 for my 5 is just a bonus.
    If you want to get riled up at someone, try the devs for phoning this in.

Bingo! Dabo! Yahtzee! Frikkin' A, Batman!
    edited February 2014
    that attitude is straight up spiteful.... It's not "passing" it's griefing.

No more griefing than the whole event was griefing from Cryptic.

Just people exercising their right to manage their time properly, in the same way that Cryptic exercised their right to change the anniversary to a grindaversary.

You want good will from players, show them some good will.......or all of this sort of thing is inevitable.
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I hope for the 5th Anniversary, Cryptic make a big effort for the mini-game.

Im-fact, there should be alot more to do, rather than just a grand FE.

Next year: Grand FE, and 5 mini-games! (Would be awesome)
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I used to wait. Now I run to other Qs while the box is running because I have better things to do with my time than watch boxes in a stupidly boring, poorly designed time sink. I will at least try to get back to the box I started though.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2014

This. You have what you asked for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2014
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    I used to wait. Now I run to other Qs while the box is running because I have better things to do with my time than watch boxes in a stupidly boring, poorly designed time sink. I will at least try to get back to the box I started though.

I try that. Don't worry a great deal, but I make the attempt.

The runners always seem to orient away from your current heading, so I find it helps to work in one direction and always "pass and turn" a Crasher before interacting. That way if it's a runner it tends to run back toward waiting shuffles rather than leading you further away.
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    This. You have what you asked for.

Exactly. Decisions have consequences. The consequence of Cryptic turning the anniversary event into a grind is that people sought out the path of least resistance and maximum efficiency in completing said grind. If people want to complain about the passers, they need look no further than the system Cryptic designed. It was unnecessary. We're just trying to make the best of a bad situation. But hey, if the box game only requires patience, then all the daily takes is more patience still, while you're waiting for more Q to spawn. And if people feel we're "exploiting" it, please feel free to talk to Cryptic about it in hopes of a change. Who knows. Maybe they'll listen and really get behind doing something about it.

Maybe. :D
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ok. First off, some people here are talking like they don't realize that once the boxes stop moving, the crosshairs in shooter mode light up when you target the box MiniQ is hiding in, and if you don't like that, get out of shooter mode and zoom out. If you get far enouh out, the geometry of the box changes and you can see MiniQ's leg sticking out almost every time.

Knowing that, I just do the Party Patrol and DOffing at the same time. If I get a chase, I make the quick run, but if I get the box dialog, I pop open the assignment window and start filling missions for the 30 seconds it takes for the boxes to scramble. I figure it is 2 1/2 mins of DOffing I don't need to do later AND I don't have to worry about wasting my time looking for the runners.

By the way, wasn't there a thread recenty where the OP was complaining that people were ditching the runners in favor of the shell game?
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • genrldestructiongenrldestruction Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I miss the quiz game that Q had the first time he showed up (Was that the 1st anniversary? Can't remember.) Loads better than the box game.
  • dom1941dom1941 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    wylonus wrote: »
    i just want to replay "Steps between stars" for other reward choices. it is bummer to find out it is one shot "one-run" episode event with Tuvok saga.

oh yeah, mix present game is tricker for klingons, cant tell which a mini Q hide, and my other and my main, fed and rom were lot easy to spot mini Q, must be some bug when the presents often merged too close for klingon mini game, only choice to score was the chase.
    i have seen lot of "Grief-play" at starfleet academy, by tagging mini Q and run off to tag next mini Q before other players need party updates. i even see chases were not either played, but abandoned too, just all griefing.

that kinda upset me as i want few updates to complete.

I agree I HATE this years grind because of all the trolls using those damn party poppers and getting my face... but I want that damned ship:mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I thought about doing the grind briefly, but sadly too many people have a self centered attitude and think they are the only person in the world like this guy who has no respect or concern for his fellow players, only himself.
    But your opinion doesn't matter, only Cryptic's- and "chase the runner" vs "Q shell game" are indeed the two choices they've graciously...er..."given" us.

The biggest rampaging pseudo-debate now comes from people complaining that other people (like me) simply ignore the shell game and keep activating "Party Crashers" until we get a runner to chase since one can chase down 3 or 4 runners in the time it takes one !*$%&^%( shell game's boxes to shuffle themselves.

I do this unashamedly, and will say again what I've said before: Until the Devs send down word that this is considered griefing, I'll continue to exercise my choice between the "two minigames" in that way. They made the stinkin' mess, they can fix it, end of discussion so far as I'm concerned.

To everyone annoyed or offended by this behavior: Tell it to the devs and encourage them to fix the problem they created, or in other words "Tell somebody who gives a [REDACTED]. I don't, I'm busy trying to make lemonade out of this Tuffli-load of lemons the devs dumped on me."

Here is an idea, why not try to be a responsible member of the community and show concern for others?
    The fanboys see it that way, yes. I consider it "encouraging the fanboys to prompt the developers to improve things."
    Just an excuse to take shortcuts that ruin it for everyone else. Very selfish to do this, people should know better.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've been noticing a lot more of this too lately, a bunch of selfish peons activating the mini Q's then running off if it's not a chase, leaving the rest of us to have to wait for these things to reset so we can get through this, here's my suggestion to the dev's, get rid of the chase ones or have the chase ones keyed to a different looking mini Q so these selfish jerks can have this stupidly easy quest made even easier just for them and they can stop wasting everyone else's time.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • zeuslegion1zeuslegion1 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The biggest rampaging pseudo-debate now comes from people complaining that other people (like me) simply ignore the shell game and keep activating "Party Crashers" until we get a runner to chase since one can chase down 3 or 4 runners in the time it takes one !*$%&^%( shell game's boxes to shuffle themselves.

This to infinity and beyond.

Maybe they could make it so that anyone could answer which box IF the person who activated it isn't there to do it (like say they're not within a 10ft radius).
  • kardeizkardeiz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If you really want to put a stop to this, start reporting the players who click-n-run as griefers. Eventually with 1000's of reports of griefing, Cryptic will have to say something one way or another. Either it's perfectly fine and everyone will just have to deal with things as they are, or everything isn't fine and something needs to be done to rectify the situation.

The simplest answer is a 30s CD that starts when you click a mini-Q. I've timed the shell game several times and it takes between 20 and 30 to complete(32s once in heavy lag). That's two and a half minutes total. Anyone complaining about it taking oh so long is just full of hot air.

I for one don't believe for a second that Cryptic intended people to click-n-run and only do the runner part of the mission. IIRC they said it was supposed to take about 5m a day. Even doing 5 boxes that's still 2 1/2 minutes actually doing the mini-game. Now finding a working mini-Q in an instance with a lot of click-n-runners can make that time double, triple or even more.

From my perspective a 30s CD is the only way to remedy this situation to be fair for everyone.
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Or they could just remove the present shuffling. Because as annoying as the entire thing is, having to watch Q wander around between gifts just makes things more annoying.

This entire thing is poorly designed. The fix isn't to make it worse.
  • unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Agreed on many of your points regarding the nine console ship.

However, it is true that when this awful grindaversary was announced, Cryptics big reason for introducing the grind was how wonderful this ship was.

Truth is, it aint all that.

Opinions. I like it, and clearly only my opinion counts. ;)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    bergins wrote: »
    Ok. First off, some people here are talking like they don't realize that once the boxes stop moving, the crosshairs in shooter mode light up when you target the box MiniQ is hiding in, and if you don't like that, get out of shooter mode and zoom out. If you get far enouh out, the geometry of the box changes and you can see MiniQ's leg sticking out almost every time.

Knowing that, I just do the Party Patrol and DOffing at the same time. If I get a chase, I make the quick run, but if I get the box dialog, I pop open the assignment window and start filling missions for the 30 seconds it takes for the boxes to scramble. I figure it is 2 1/2 mins of DOffing I don't need to do later AND I don't have to worry about wasting my time looking for the runners.

By the way, wasn't there a thread recenty where the OP was complaining that people were ditching the runners in favor of the shell game?
    This*9001^

It's easy!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited February 2014
    Opinions. I like it, and clearly only my opinion counts. ;)

LOL.....you are, of course, right. For a given value of right.

In its nine console version, as a ship, its basically a decent RA science ship with a gimmick.

As such, less useful for Feds, they have a rich roster of good science shps at that level.

For the KDF, more useful. While they have a few ships that can support science, this is a welcome addition.

For the Romulans, much more welcome, it fills an actual hole in their lineup.

Now, just as you like this 9 console ship, I am very fond of both the nine console Oddysey and the Ambassador.

On the stats, I find it hard to argue that the new science ship is 425% better than either of those cruisers.

Thats how much more we have to grind this year, 425%.

Now, the space set is another matter. The three pieces you get from the FE are a very useful addition to the roster of such pieces that are easy to get.

But we're not grinding for the good stuff.
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    There was meant to be more than one mini game, but Brandon said it would not be included in the update.

No reason given at the time though...

see this is what I was asking about, I could have sworn I saw them saying there was supposed to be a choice.

Could CaptainSmirk or someone else from Cryptic comment please?
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Easy fix to the Party Crasher activation "griefing" - root the activator till they solve the presents or it times out.
  • stararmystararmy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    My only beef is with people who open the boxes and leave them there and move to another and another, I think Cryptic should make it that if you interact with one miniQ you cannot activate another, that would be the fair thing to do.
    FYI, if you see me do this, it's because I'm actually playing the box game with two Qs at the same time, in order to finish the mission more quickly (and yes, I always correctly choose the right boxes).
    Zinc: The universe of Star Trek Online is shaped and changed by the actions of the players...expect to see new planets and races discovered that were unknown the last time you logged in."