test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dear Devs of Q's Party Patrol

jaguaro70jaguaro70 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
Dear Devs,

Can you please see if you can do something about players who are at the Academy and activate the mini Q's and then run off when they don't get the ones that they have to chase. Maybe make it where if they activate Q then they are forced to participate with the one they activate. It makes it harder on the rest of us.
Post edited by jaguaro70 on

Comments

• Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I second this, it is becoming increasingly annoying...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I find the present ones to be more fun. They're mildly challenging and require you to keep good focus and challenge your brain.

The people that run away from these are the people that couldn't follow their doctor's finger when getting an eye examination. :P
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm running the event on 12 characters and so far I have only encountered one person doing this.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm running the event on 12 characters and so far I have only encountered one person doing this.

I dont think its widespread yet.

It may not become so either, to be fair.

however, it could become problematic.
  • Options
    tragamitestragamites Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I find the present ones to be more fun. They're mildly challenging and require you to keep good focus and challenge your brain.

The people that run away from these are the people that couldn't follow their doctor's finger when getting an eye examination. :P

Yeah instead they bent over and spread 'em!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    IMHO, they should add some more Mini-Q's. Problem solved.

Not sure about KDF Academy, since it's small. All I can think of is a temporary population event cap.
  • Options
    platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Or you can make them all runners and scrap the dumb, buggy, hardly challenging present box shell game.

But of course it's WAY easier to force players to do an un-fun thing than to just remove the un-fun thing.

Clearly the OP thinks like a Cryptic dev.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Or you can make them all runners and scrap the dumb, buggy, hardly challenging present box shell game.

But of course it's WAY easier to force players to do an un-fun thing than to just remove the un-fun thing.

And the running version is more challenging? I could (and have) done it with my eyes closed.

A brain-dead monkey could do the running version. The present version requires you to pay attention and not be a mindless borg drone (which I think is why so many people hate it).
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,973 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The worst thing I've seen happen so far with this event is dropping a cover shield right in the middle of the present-swap game. And that was me doing it to myself.

Honestly, I don't think that there's a dev-worthy problem with player behavior here. If you find someone tickling the little Q's in an inappropriate way just swap instances. Chances are jerks aren't on most maps.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    they should.

1. Remove the annoying Walking NPC's (all the ones that don't give a quest or talk to) till the event is over of course.

2. Fix the Present Box Glitchy Lag.

3. Fix the sometimes not being able to talk to the mini-q and someone else comes barging in and takes the Q from you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Here's what I'd do to change the shuffle game:

1. Cut shuffle time in half.

2. Make all boxes the same.

3. Have Q hide in a random one that is seen by the player.

4. Instead of having Q and the boxes pass constantly through each other, Q will remain in the box he hides in, and the boxes will shuffle in random patterns around one another. You know, like how a shuffle game ACTUALLY WORKS (minus cheap gimmicks that con people out of their money :P).

5. The shuffling will become increasingly fast, testing the player's ability to track the box Q is hiding in.

6. The player is teleported to a specific spot in front of the boxes and is locked in place during the event, and all other entities (to the player) are phased out to prevent trolling. (assuming the tech to to do this actually exists)
  • Options
    neyarineyari Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The Shell game Q's are too long and tedious for something that many people are doing across multiple characters.

If you see too many present Q's being left alone, change channel, problem solved.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,192 Community Moderator
    edited February 2014
    I usually go to a low pop instance. I really hate the shell game. Had nothing but that on my KDF one day, and it drove me up a wall. I got 6 characters to run that on.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited February 2014

What fun about running mindlessly after a NPC and mashing the f key? I could train a mildly TRIBBLE bonobo to do that. Then, I suppose that's probably the skill set of many players given my experience in pugs.
  • Options
    gunsang1gunsang1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Switching Zones to a less populated area is the easiest temporary solution for now. If they'll fix this or let it pass and fix it the next time around is something we'll have to wait for.

I do agree however, the shuffling is a bit long. Sometimes I'll just read an article and then watch the last little bit of the mixing boxes.
  • Options
    maskedmarvel1maskedmarvel1 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    my beef is the players with the tiny little toons who stand out there among all the wee Qs and its not until im running around them like an eejit that I click :eek:
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014

simple answer then, remove the present game and make it a q chase alone. not many people are interested in waiting around for minutes waiting for one q puzzle to solve when you could of run 4 or perhaps 5 chase in that time.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    my beef is the players with the tiny little toons who stand out there among all the wee Qs and its not until im running around them like an eejit that I click :eek:

Note to Self. Use tiny mode while doing academy..... :cool:
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    noinfoavailablenoinfoavailable Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    gunsang1 wrote: »
    Switching Zones to a less populated area is the easiest temporary solution for now. If they'll fix this or let it pass and fix it the next time around is something we'll have to wait for.

I do agree however, the shuffling is a bit long. Sometimes I'll just read an article and then watch the last little bit of the mixing boxes.

Both are as boring as each other and neither require any skill at all anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves. Some people prefer one over the other, I would simply prefer to log on and enjoy playing something else other than this grind. Track the log in and reward those who log in instead of forcing people who want the ship to do the grind since devs have stated that events are used to drive up log ins.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Dear dev's of the party patrol... Next year: Do better... It's boring... Both of them.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jaguaro70 wrote: »
    Dear Devs,

Can you please see if you can do something about players who are at the Academy and activate the mini Q's and then run off when they don't get the ones that they have to chase. Maybe make it where if they activate Q then they are forced to participate with the one they activate. It makes it harder on the rest of us.

I confess - I'm one of the players who does this. But I always make sure I'm in the lowest-pop instance first. And as I'm wandering around playing Whack-a-Q I often come across the shuffled present boxes I triggered earlier (mini-Q gives you fifteen seconds to guess where he is) and I pick a box at random, finding him a bit more often than the expected one out of three tries. I find this method to be quite a time saver - I finish up in about two and a half minutes per character this way.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I would gladly stop doing this, all you need do is get cryptic to put in an option that allows us to choose which game we want to play.

Until this happens, I refuse to do the buggy shell game....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    maskedmarvel1maskedmarvel1 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Another thing to watch out for if your doing the party thing at Starfleet academy with a romulan is to be careful with the f button , twice as I was chasing the fleeing Q wapping away at the f button I found myself hauled off to new Romulus , the wee git sometimes runs right across the travel to new Romulus interact button.
  • Options
    isrorisror Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    neyari wrote: »
    The Shell game Q's are too long and tedious for something that many people are doing across multiple characters.

If you see too many present Q's being left alone, change channel, problem solved.

I find that I can usually kick off two present games and run a chase mission and be back to the first then the second to see Mini-Q's last movement, netting me 3 of 5 within a minute or two. Not always but more often than not.

Running this on 6 characters is annoying (I can't imagine the guys running 12+ toons) and anything I can do to speed it up I'm for.
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No. Because I tend to activate three mini-q's, then return to the first (Assuming he's a boxer), often in time to see him duck into his last box.

Mind, I've been playing on low population instances at hours not a lot of people are on, and so am less of a nuisance than some.
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I second the OP on this and also can you devs do something about the players that when you have the 3 boxes up come and stand up right in the middle to mess you up, reporting them does not work.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I love the me first on the last few posters. However, I haven't run into those type of selfish players, just the ones who feel the need to try and steal the q away from you, even when you are doing the mini game or the ones that stand in the middle of the present swap.
  • Options
    domvinadomvina Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, this explains why there have been times I move to the lower pop instance only to find a sea of present boxes and no Mini-Qs around. And here I was about to submit a bug report for the Mini-Qs self-triggering. Given how long I've been playing MMOs I should have known it was being caused by selfish players.

At least I haven't run across jerks trying to interfere when I'm doing the game. (Not counting the NPCs who are constantly walking through the boxes.)

Sometimes I think MMOs would be tonnes more enjoyable without the second M. V.V
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The first few days I would activate a Q and wait, but boy is it boring, really boring.

Yesterday I decided to activate, if the boxes came up, run to another one, up to 3 if they are all boxes, after the third one, run back to the first and catch the tail end of the swapping, pick a box and go to the second, etc, if applicable. Its far more entertaining.

Why are we sitting there for 3x as long watching boxes when only the last 5s means anything for the same reward? Any possibly no reward if a bunch of NPCs decide to roam through your area right at the end.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The boxes thing is the most stupid, annoying, idiotic thing I have ever done in my life.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua