What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dev Blog: Ships - From Start to Finish

Comments

• Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You made my day :) I really am glad you agree that the blog was pretty epic and informative, as that was exactly what we were working towards. This blog goes up there as one of my most favorite things I've ever "produced" (Producer over) while working here.

It's easy to assume things happen in a matter of days, when in reality, it takes much, much longer. I'm stoked that we had the opportunity to share some behind the scenes information with you all.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

The ships look like a new generation of things to fly in STO.

Without reservation my thanks and compliments to the team that have built them.

As to the transformation of the anniversary event to a grind, I think someone should be ashamed of that decision.

60+ pages in not much over 24 hours ought to get some sort of reaction from Cryptic, thus the suggestion that this thread is it, but I doubt it is.

The clear sexiness of these new ships and the means of obtaining them are two seperate issues.

It is right and proper that we acknowledge the work thats gone into these ships.

It would also be right and proper for some sort of substantive answer from Cryptic addressing the concerns of those who feel grinding for an anniversary event is bad faith from Cryptic.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    genhauk wrote: »
    so basically ... you couldn't go fleet weapons to get it all in sync ... You'd have to go with all proton then.

Can you swap out the proton cannon and put something else in that slot?

No idea, you'll have to ask a dev...lol

Unless we're talking the proton weapon from the dyson rep, in which case its swappable like anything else.

However, protonic polarons from that rep do have their procs boosted by those consoles.
  • Options
    kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    was hoping they would be 4/4 but i see they're 4/3 :(

anyway to make the consoles 3/3/3 so we can get 4/4 ships?

any news on a 360 arc proton weapon?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I hope those ships will be able to use faction-specific hull material. I like all silhouettes, especially the Romulan one, but I would prefer it to be green-ish as an option.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    mutualcoremutualcore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It is great to see more of the concept art and design that goes into STO.
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Kudos to the team for coming up with some extremely creative new ideas and some gorgeous art, I look forward to checking them out.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You made my day :) I really am glad you agree that the blog was pretty epic and informative, as that was exactly what we were working towards. This blog goes up there as one of my most favorite things I've ever "produced" (Producer over) while working here.

It's easy to assume things happen in a matter of days, when in reality, it takes much, much longer. I'm stoked that we had the opportunity to share some behind the scenes information with you all.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    Hey, Bran, I just want to thank you and the other members of the dev team on creating such awesomely hot looking ships for the anniversary. I am definitely getting the ships on all of my characters. The blog was really informative, and I also thank you for that.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    goddessoflifegoddessoflife Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    No idea, you'll have to ask a dev...lol

Unless we're talking the proton weapon from the dyson rep, in which case its swappable like anything else.

However, protonic polarons from that rep do have their procs boosted by those consoles.

The dhc i'm guessing coming on this ship will be pure protonic so only the dyson tac consoles. set and its tac consoles that give +proton will boost the dhc like they do the other weapons and the experimental proton weapon. just the idea of a 2nd deflector dear lord. Talk about nasty ideas. :eek:
  • Options
    drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I, for one, thought it was an interesting insight into the behind the scenes process of how things work and the steps and thinking involved in making a new ship, or in this case, three. The ships themselves look interesting, I'm curious to get a better look at them.

Do have one question though: will they have unique "Dyson Science Destroyer" bridges?

Still, well done, Bran. I always like seeing the behind the scenes stuff.
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Those ships sound like they're going to be awfully close to what we already have with the Temporal Destroyer and Temporal Science ships, just less flexible and for free. :)
  • Options
    tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    great read.
  • Options
    mamif3mamif3 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    REALLY glad to see it with only 9 consoles. No way in hell would they put that much work into them and not make a fleet or lobi 10 console version.

Also if the transform ability is a console I will be pissed and not waste my time.

Also calling that all 3 will have exact same stats with kdf with cloak and rom with battle cloak while feds get nothing.

Also 3 tac slots... Meh.

Not sold on the fed one yet. Other two look cool.
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,050 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    *reads*

*blinks*

*reads again*

*reads again, with mounting awesome*

OH **** YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

BranFlakes, I want to marry you AND the entire dev team. I love you guys!

Hang on, I need to slow my breathing down. These look fully AWESOME.

QUICK!!!!!!! get a paper bag .... and breathe.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That ROMULAN!! SHIP LOOOKS!!!! SEEEEEXXXYYY!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

aaaaaaaaaaaaa
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As someone trying to get into the industry, I love reading posts like this.

To Jam Jamz, Salami Inferno, Branflakes, Smirk, Kestral, and the rest of the STO Dev Team. You guys did a great job and thank you all for your hard work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,050 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Ohhh shucks I'm filling up .... Where's the tissues :P
  • Options
    sohtohsohtoh Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wait, wait, wait... what's this ChildBone and ChildLayer I see referenced in the one pic? What the heck are you building these ships out of? IT'S PEOPLE!!! DYSON HYBRID SHIPS ARE PEOPLE!!! :D
    "I'm not big on telepaths myself. I'm not big on guns either. But if everyone else has them, I want to make sure I can get my hands on the biggest one I can."
  • Options
    kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    now we need a 360 arc proton weapon...

and more other proton weapons if we ever want to get full power output of these ships.

i'm not using those polaron weapons :mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mt268mt268 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    2nd deflector? As in, you can have MACO survivability, with Omega Force's targeting systems? :eek:
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Time to start training for this new anniversary grind.

Im getting one for every single character, dont care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwer1CiteBg

+1. Usually I skip the grind ships on most of my toons, but this one looks cool enough that with the ship swapping abilities it will be worth having in the stable for everyone. Nice work, Cryptic - really nice.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am impressed by the complexity of the model. Do the artists work with a subdivision tool or is it all hand-crafted? Probably a dumb question from someone who merely dabbles in renders.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mamif3 wrote: »
    REALLY glad to see it with only 9 consoles. No way in hell would they put that much work into them and not make a fleet or lobi 10 console version.

Also if the transform ability is a console I will be pissed and not waste my time.

Also calling that all 3 will have exact same stats with kdf with cloak and rom with battle cloak while feds get nothing.

Also 3 tac slots... Meh.

Good catch .... You know that transform ability will be just like on the vet ship ... a console.

You also know a fleet version will be released, but where they will get you is that you only get the console from the free one.

So ... not only will you burn a lot of time with the grind ... end the end, you will also be blowing some zen for fleet ship modules.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jaturnley wrote: »
    +1. Usually I skip the grind ships on most of my toons, but this one looks cool enough that with the ship swapping abilities it will be worth having in the stable for everyone. Nice work, Cryptic - really nice.
    You know what would be even nicer?

If we didn't have to "grind"...

I mean, 9 consoles suggest there will be an "upgraded" version sometime in the future anyway. Secondary Deflector doesn't make up for this, as it was said it was planned to be added to all science ships eventually.

For those of you who don't remember the mission - http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_Present_Patrol
    Convince the Party Goers to come to Q's party (0/5)
    Yeah... five times... Each taking up about a minute or so. And you have to go from ESD to the Academy and back to ESD to turn it in.

"Fun"...
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    overlapooverlapo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    genhauk wrote: »
    Good catch .... You know that transform ability will be just like on the vet ship ... a console.

Or it might be built in in the special deflector there in the screenshots
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They certainly look better than what was in that "leaked" image of anniversary ships in an earlier thread. So, my appraisal of them has changed somewhat.

I'm just wondering if there will be multiple skins for them. I like my Starfleet vessels to have the name and registry stenciled on the hull, and my Romulan ships to be dark in finish for that proper feeling of menace/doom.
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mt268 wrote: »
    2nd deflector? As in, you can have MACO survivability, with Omega Force's targeting systems? :eek:

OR ... You will find that secondary deflectors are specifically that ... secondary deflectors where the main ones don't fit.

Opens up another channel for them and things to put in the next new fleet holding (likely where the fleet version of this ship will be as well).

Also ... betting the other sci ships will get a secondary deflector just like the cruisers got the cruiser powers.

And then just like you would buy power cores ... you will now buy secondary deflectors.

All speculation but betting its true.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mamif3 wrote: »

Also 3 tac slots... Meh.

Glad I am not the only one who doesn't feel bad about them monetizing their hard work. I'd prefer fleet to Lobi (800 was a LOT for the Obelisk), but if it keeps the game running...

From the screenshot, there's no console on the ship. Doesn't mean there isn't one, but it's hopeful at least. I can get by with 9 consoles if I don't have to waste one on a transformation slot. At that point, 10 from a fleet version will be icing on the cake.

As for the Fed no-cloak penalty, I would hope it's like the Vet ships and the Fed gets a hull bonus to make up for it. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.
  • Options
    mamif3mamif3 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If the 4th forward weapon slot can be changed to whatever you want and the transform is NOT a console. I'm sold.

For a grind the ship should be good. Not just a toy like my gal x

Would be cool if it swaped to 4 tac 3 Sci consoles when you transform.