Install Arc
Options

Arcgames.com is Ready for your Feedback

Comments

• Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    clearbeard wrote: »
    To be a little more constructive than most of the "hate it, don't want" posts on this thread, I just don't see the benefit of running yet another launcher client. The only PWE game other than STO that I've ever played is Torchlight, which isn't even in ARC. Perhaps someday I'll check out Neverwinter, but even there, having to run a graphics and resource intensive (relatively) launcher for only two games is simply pointless.

In a general sense, I can't see many people playing more than a couple MMO style games on more than a trial basis. They simply take up too much time to commit to more than one at a time for me personally. Since those are the kinds of games that seem to be offered through ARC, I come right back to: what's the point?

So thank you for the freebies for running it as a trial, but I don't expect to use it ever again. And not that I've heard it been seriously considered, but yes, making STO run exclusively through ARC would be enough to push me into the "then I just won't bother" category.

Cheers,
    Clearbeard

I don't see every ones gripe about this I have use it for awhile now and it is not using any more graphic power if any than any other setup i.e. steam, origin etc in fact you you read some peoples post you can even turn it off after it launches the game which in turn means one less process running in the back ground but TS/vent or any other voice uses more than this does. but if you choose to leave a game that you enjoy playing just because it will eventually be ran thru Arc exclusively then all I gotta say is don't let the door hit you in the TRIBBLE on the way out.
  • Options
    nahruuknahruuk Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So I'm thinking of renaming our fleet "We hate ARC"... Think they'll get the message then? :mad:
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,396 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Okay. This is getting ridiculous.
    It seems not only are you content to shove arc down our throats, but you're also deleting forum entries criticising arc.
    I was willing to give it a go, but installing it crippled my PC performance across the board. So, stop it, stop fixing things that aren't broken by replacing them with user unfriendly adverts like Microsoft has. Look how well that's going for them, Sony are now wiping the floor with them.
    "Criticising" Arc, or just spouting silly conspiracy theories about how Chinese military intelligence wants to mass-copy all of our hard drives so they can, I dunno, weaponize our TRIBBLE folders or something? Because honestly, I've seen a lot more of the latter than the former...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    rynxylerynxyle Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Arc client was bad enough as it is (waste of resources at the very least and intrusive malicious program at the worst) however the home page change for STO is crossing the line. STO main page was fast and easy to navigate and while being a bit sparse was still elegant in its simplicity. The new ARC STO homepage is quite simply ugly and nauseating. I run in 1920x1080 HD resolution and the homepage now shows up looking like youtube when running 800x600 (maybe 1024x768 if you squint) SD resolution. The information being pushed at us is not the information we want. Throwing your article headers all over the page like you let some drunk chicken defecate on it is unacceptable under any circumstances. My account page was simple before showing me everything I wanted to know or do right on one page now it is thrown all over the place in sub-catagories that were never needed and my play time (silver member) is now shown in years/months/days when the rewards are listed in days only (a minor complaint yet a valid one none the less). I have seen better website construction 10 years ago by a single stoner with too much time on his hands (and that was a free hosting website even).
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Old homepage was a lot nicer looking. And get rid of those STUPID and ANNOYING link popup adds int he middle of peoples posts!!! It's as bad as and unwanted as SPAM!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    draltaidraltai Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    As people have said before me, the new site is very disorganized, information is buried beneath news, that are not important.

For the launcher, while not perfect it passes, but it's too generic looking to perform as a website specifically for Star Trek Online.

It's soulless, with a rapidly switching news headline full of old news.
    The tile layout is only good for icons, reading news is really painful this way, it feels like mining for information.

The dissappearance of the server status is an unwelcome change. It was helpful to determine if connection problems were server or client side.

It appears that the old website is still there, so please keep it that way.
  • Options
    emberwolf92emberwolf92 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2014
    We’re pleased to announce that we are giving STO players who have downloaded and tested the beta version of the new Arc client a FREE Khan uniform set!

Claiming your exclusive uniforms is easy! Simply log into Star Trek Online via the Arc client and read the “thank you” message from the team that will be waiting for you in your in-game mailbox. After, make sure to stop by the tailor and outfit your captain in the incredible Khan uniforms pictured above -- you'll find various Khan uniform options in the "Off Duty Uniform" tailor options. To gain access to this uniform on all of your characters, make sure that you log into each of them while running the game client via Arc.

this right here is messed up what about the people that has had the arc for a while what we need to re-download it just to get the uniform and other stuff I mean come on dont make the people that has had the arc before this was relaesed make us reinstall it all over again
  • Options
    dabaddabadabaddaba Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Give me back the old site and the chance to play without this arc thing running in the background. Thanks
  • Options
    druunajonesdruunajones Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    lexusk19 wrote: »
    My Feedback... DO NOT WANT!

As I, dumb Arc in the bin, how on earth are we able to continue our veteran subscription? We cannot!
  • Options
    albertwesker45albertwesker45 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    to be frank the old site was way better and more helpful everything was where you wanted it this Arc version of the site isn't as fully helpful as the old site is so it's a "No!" from me for the Arc version of the site i just want the old site back.
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Okay! Way to encourage people with slight disabilities to work... but having someone that is completely Colorblind and obviously lacks any sense of style and design to work on a Website... might be a bit overly PC.
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    pedrobobpedrobob Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    dont want arc

dont want useless programs to bug the game and interract with

And thanks to asnswer the question AFTER arc is active.

Steam.., arc ?? what s next one ? i know..my faceofbuulks page to start my game !!...
    NO to ARC
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    We’re pleased to announce that we are giving STO players who have downloaded and tested the beta version of the new Arc client a FREE Khan uniform set!

Claiming your exclusive uniforms is easy! Simply log into Star Trek Online via the Arc client and read the “thank you” message from the team that will be waiting for you in your in-game mailbox. After, make sure to stop by the tailor and outfit your captain in the incredible Khan uniforms pictured above -- you'll find various Khan uniform options in the "Off Duty Uniform" tailor options. To gain access to this uniform on all of your characters, make sure that you log into each of them while running the game client via Arc.

this right here is messed up what about the people that has had the arc for a while what we need to re-download it just to get the uniform and other stuff I mean come on dont make the people that has had the arc before this was relaesed make us reinstall it all over again
    Do you still have Arc? Then log in through it for each character you want to put the Khan outfit on. No, you don't need to download it again.

If you have done that but still don't have the Khan Off-Duty outfit, submit a ticket. Also let Smirk know.

On another note, folks, once again, "I don't want Arc" is not criticism. Try the program, critique what it actually does, and it may be improved. (Then again, it may not be - this remains to be seen.) However, PWE wants to have their own version of Steam, and what the devs for any particular game might want is irrelevant. Arc is coming, like it or not. (For the record, I don't, but I can live with it so long as they don't disable Steam.)

I've already given my critique, but I don't really expect my concerns to be addressed, because a lot of them have to do with the problems involved in trying to run this software on a four-year-old laptop.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Gonna throw my two cents into this as well

The new website...well I don't like it a whole lot. Here's a list of the problems I have with it:
    1. It's bland - the color scheme evokes a feeling of "blah" in me and the fact that it's consistent across all the games and forums enhances that feeling. Give each game it's own color scheme and maybe the Arcgames.com portal page might pass muster.
    2. When selecting a game from the Portal Page it sends you to a storefront. This actually puts a barrier in the way of new potential players and irritates long time players. Instead have it redirect to an info page that has a couple of paragraphs promoting the game and a sign up and donwload link at the bottom. Place your storefront redirect at the end of the sign up and download process if you absolutlely have to have an involuntary one included somewhere.
    3. The current set-up for Arcgames makes it difficult to give the address to a particular game to someone in casual converstation. Once I could have told somebody about STO in a conversation and given the www.startrekonline.com as the address to look up the game for themselves. Now I have to do some complicated www.arcgames.com/something/somethingelse/yetanotherthing/adnaseum Even if it's just a redirect to the sign up and download pages consider reactivating those websites.
    4. Navigation to and from the various sections of the Arcgames.com website is unintiutive. You have to actively search out each of the subsections you want to visit and even that only works if you already know the section exists to begin with. This is needs to be dealt with soon - a website where you can't find your way easily and intuitively is a website you don't revisit.
  • Options
    kazapskykazapsky Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    On another note, folks, once again, "I don't want Arc" is not criticism. Try the program, critique what it actually does, and it may be improved.

I'll consider installing Arc on a secondary computer to test it when it stops ticking so many boxes to qualify as malware. Stop snooping on my HD, stop forcing it to waste memory in the background when the game is already running, stop eating several times the resources of programs with far superior functionality, stop the adspam. When those things are done, I'll consider it. Until then, this thing is not touching any machine I own.
    Arc is garbage. End of discussion.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ok, downloaded and installed ARC a bit over a week ago.

Been running it ever since, sometimes leaving it in the background after playing STO, sometimes shutting it down.

Generally been seeing how it goes.

My machine is a desktop, was very decent three years ago when I bought it, still standing up nicely. Dated but still good.

My internet connection is not wonderful, as I live in the far northern tip of the Canadian Rockies.

No fibre and extreme weather can cause interruptions and loss of bandwidth.

So, how did ARC do?

Well, I have to report no obvious slowing down of my computer, as others have reported.

I ran no metrics, just went on whether my machine did the things i asked it to at its usual pace.

I perceived no issues.

Logging into the game without ARC I often experience a small amount of lag when loading my toon for the first time. With ARC, the time that lag went on for increased somewhat. However, we're still talking just a few seconds.

While playing, I noticed no lag of any kind attributable to ARC.

Basically, it did what it was supposed to with no obvious problems.

Is it any use?

Well, as I only play STO out of PWEs catalog, it did not provide me with any extra functionality in that regard.

It's not impossible that, at one point, I may try NW. however, until that time ARC provided no benefit to me in that regard.

I found that the link to the fora from ARC worked ok, but was a bit erratic as to whether it would log me in or not. Mostly not, but there were a couple of times I was surprised not to have to log in there as well.

As ARC sits on the tool bar, once booted up; and as i often play intermittently, I did find some use in the quick launch of both the game and the fora.

Of course, allowing me easier access to the fora may not be something Cryptic will look back on as a comfortable decision.

Overall, the scare stories did not come true for me. However, in terms of actual benefit to me, we're not talking a huge amount. I will continue to run STO through ARC for now, and if I run across any issues post them here.

However, there is an elephant in the room called 'EU Data Privacy Regs'. If one clicks on ARCs own privacy policy is takes you to a bunch of interesting links regarding the Safe Harbour scheme.

The inability to opt in and out at will contravenes both the EU regs and the Safe Harbour regs.

I am concerned that there has been no acknowledgement or movement on this issue.

It's not a game breaking thing, but its the sort of easily fixed detail that needs fixing sooner rather than later. And the sort of minor detail that can turn into a bleeding great obvious detail if left unattended.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I won't normally comment on moderation on the forums, but there was an allegation and I thought I'd address it once:

We're 114 pages (with default settings) into this thread, mostly consisting of criticism of ARC. There has been one post deleted so far as I write this. One.

There've been a couple of posts altered for violating rules.

114 pages in. Over 1100 posts. That's not a whole lot of alteration. :)

Thanks to the vast, vast majority of you who are following the rules and expressing your opinions. The moderators (who do not work for PWE) appreciate you.

I can't speak for PWE, but if they didn't appreciate you, they probably would have taken action. They're reading this, and they're not deleting it. I draw conclusions from that indicating they appreciate you too.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    And the forcing of the ARC garbage has begun. As canis36 mentioned, If you give anyone the STO web address, you automatically get redirected to the Arcgames.com BS site.

To be quite honest, it looks like TRIBBLE. It looks like one of those "and if you're interested..." type redirect sites. It looks ugly and disorganized. It is in a similar manner to the redesign Anime News Network did a couple of months ago. The big difference between the two, ANN at least has a number of settings to allow visitors how they want to view the site. I personally hate tiles and the way the Arcgames site looks is just so disorganized.

If this is supposed to get me interested in to trying ARC, it's doing the exact opposite.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    jshignjshign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Sigh. . .

Alright, let us kind of just bite the bullet on this and comment. I haven't run it yet. Blizzard has already started the move to a similar set up, and several others made this kind of move years ago. It's going to happen one way or the other. I just want the bugs worked out first. Basically, any publisher who has more than one game is going to eventually move to these kinds of launchers.

That said. . .let me just say something about the fact that enticements kind of fail with me- and hard. I have enough uniforms to last a lifetime and haven't changed more than the coloration in six months. I have no interest in the Ferengi shuttle because, well, I don't. If I had, I would have worked towards getting it by now. In fact, other than the seasonal promotions, I haven't exactly been keen on the Lobi Crystal stuff.

To date, I have two ships I love- both of them Breen. Other than being interested in keeping them at pace with the latest designs (and maybe making them a bit more flexible in terms of the officer layout), I don't have much interest in a new ship. I took out the basic Dyson ship and found I didn't like it very much. I haven't really liked any of the shuttles and tend to avoid quests or anything that requires me to use one. I think they need a huge retooling.

Now, a lot of people have been making the point that they don't play the game for the socialization. I'm among those. I have a lifetime sub, but honestly, I don't tend to get along well with people. I don't belong to a guild and tend to put people on ignore if they try to recruit me. So, the socialization aspect of ARC doesn't really interest me. I've tried a few of the other games on PWE, but none really interested me very much.

I'm not going to go ballistic over ARC, but I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to try it either. I know that some security software can be quite tetchy when it comes to certain types of programs even if those are legitimate programs.

But, honestly, unless I was saving up for a module that would allow me to upgrade my Breen Raider or Breen Warship, I don't really need the Lobi crystals and I don't need another shuttle or uniform.
    Klingons: Today, is a good day to die.
    Federation: Today, no one needs to die.
    Romulans: Today is a good day for somebody else to die.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jshign wrote: »
    Sigh. . .

<snip>

But, honestly, unless I was saving up for a module that would allow me to upgrade my Breen Raider or Breen Warship, I don't really need the Lobi crystals and I don't need another shuttle or uniform.

I just figure that ARCs coming anyway, and I'm better off having a few freebies than not having them.

I wouldn't rule out more freebies to come either.

And that sort of thing is a bit like cstore giveaways.

Bit of a lucky dip. Might be something you already have or dont care about, or it might be something you were only thinking about the other day.

As it happens, i was only thinking about how nice that metaphasic shielding would be on my Aeon when, lo and behold, heres comes freebie.

Still haven't flown it yet, lol, but it's a big ol' game. And I'm a packrat.

Who knows when I'll use it, eh?
  • Options
    quickdraw74quickdraw74 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Arc is ok the times I have used it. I will not play any of the other games on it. Not EVER. The biggest problem I have with it is that is tries to keep working in the background after I exit Star Trek Online. That is not acceptable. I have to find it in the system tray and tell it to shutdown. I do not want something running on my computer 24/7 if I am not playing it. I would suggest maybe an option for Arc to shutdown when I exit STO. Yeah it is only a few more clicks to shutdown arc ...but that is a real inconvenience to have to remember to do. Like I said I do NOT want a game/ad campaign program running in the background 24/7 on my PC. It just isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    squadalaxdsquadalaxd Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    **** This and **** Arc There you go.. all the feedback you need. ****
  • Options
    captainmikeccaptainmikec Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    just saw the new website
    i hate it, its not star trek
    im also against the whole concept of arc, theres only 1 PW game i play and thats STO. have no interest in the others or having them advertised to me.
    if i had any interest in the other games i would be playing them.

1. dont want a generic launcher that isnt secure or might have backend software
    2. dont want a generic website

its STO and should look more trek
    "Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?"
    -General Chang
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    squadalaxd wrote: »
    **** This and **** Arc There you go.. all the feedback you need. ****
    just saw the new website
    i hate it, its not star trek
    im also against the whole concept of arc, theres only 1 PW game i play and thats STO. have no interest in the others

dont want a generic launcher that isnt secure
    dont want a generic website

its STO and should look more trek
    And these are of approximately the same significance as my son stomping his feet and announcing loudly that he hates (insert food he's never tried before). Your complaints are pointless, and will result in absolutely no change to anything.

Now, if you'd care to articulate exactly what issues you might have, and possibly how they might be addressed, there's at least a chance you can influence the launch of this software. But you won't stop it coming by threatening to hold your breath until you turn blue.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    darthpostaldarthpostal Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Wow, new site is awful. Feels like some generic template used by 1st year web design student.

Old one wasn't perfect either, but at least it had style.

PS. At least that annoying Facebook panel is gone. Good riddance.
  • Options
    klintobean81klintobean81 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The new arc web site that we are diverted to now feels like a meaningless mish-mash of content modules that tries to have this App-like continuity about it.

It seems meant to be viewed on a phone or tablet, yet it looks even WORSE on these devices. The content module headers get truncated down and mashed where you can't even read a whole headline.

I think new players would be incredibly confused about how to get the content they want, learn about the game, and not be bombarded with all of the other content from PWE trying to get us to play their other games too.

The branding much less doesn't even feel Star Trek. Where's the big Star Trek logo?

There are a few things that are nice, like the big content scroller at the top. But other than that...I'm not in love with it.

We had intro videos and server status information on the original web site.

Most MMO's have a server status bar somewhere for their audience.

"Is the game online Walter?"
    "I don't know Jenny! I checked the web site but it doesn't say anything :(

"Put Star Trek back into the STO Web site"

http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/klintobean/media/New-STO-Web-Site.jpg.html

^^^Something like this would help at a bare minimum lol^^^

We love you guys your team is fabulous, but it's sad to see all the hard work you all invested with blood, sweat & tears on the original web site be thrown aside for this cold, sterile umbrella that is PWE's Arc vision.

Differentiate this game from all the other one's on Arc's web site. The STO page has the same feeling and experience you get as when a viewer is looking at Neverwinter, New Horizons or Forsaken World. It unfortunately allows the community to feel like this game is just another notch under PWE's belt.

-Klintobean
This discussion has been closed.