test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Arcgames.com is Ready for your Feedback

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,433 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My wife's complaint is that Arc seems to lose her password. A lot. She hasn't been able to play any Cryptic games for almost a month now, because when she got her new computer, they would only download through Arc.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ok, folks, let's please keep the rules in mind:

Expressing dislike of ARC: perfectly fine.
    Expressing like of ARC: perfectly fine.

Insulting your fellow Captains for picking the "wrong" one of the two above: not fine.
    Insulting Cryptic/PWE employees: not fine.
    Insulting anybody else, either by name or collectively: not fine.

By all means disagree with the decisions of Cryptic and Perfect World Entertainment, and the opinions of your fellow Captains, and express those disagreements here passionately; but keep it non-personal.

IDIC. It's the Star Trek way. :)
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • mt268mt268 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I dont know much about this Arc thing... but can someone tell me what was wrong with the old launcher?
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    badvaio wrote: »
    Not sure if it has been mentioned before but TS3 push to talk doesn't work when ARC is running.

My TS3 and my friends, is fine with ARC running. We have been using ARC since day one without any major problems, so...

What PTT key are you using?
    Have you tried loading TS as an Admin (I have to do this with some games for PTT to work)

Have you tried uninstalling TS3 and reinstalling?

Does ARC load as an Admin ?
  • badvaiobadvaio Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I use F9 to select push to talk, neither ARC or TS is run as admin.
  • kazapskykazapsky Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    mt268 wrote: »
    I dont know much about this Arc thing... but can someone tell me what was wrong with the old launcher?

NOTHING was wrong with the original launcher. PWE just wants to play Big Brother and cram ads down our throats.
    Arc is garbage. End of discussion.
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hi all, thank you for your feedback.

I know there hasn't been a lot of communication on the spyware issue, so I'm going to give you a brief explanation on what we can actually track. In short, we don't track anything you don't want us to, as we have the opt-in feature for if you choose to let us. All this feature allows us to do is track your system information that can be easily found when you navigate to "Help">"System Information" in Arc. We do this as it helps us find any potential software and hardware issues, which in turn allows us to better optimize Arc for as many configurations as possible. Keep in mind though, that this is all through the opt-in system. If you do not opt-in, we will not be able to track your system information.

I hope that clears things up, and if there's anything else please let me know.

Hi Sparkiesoft,

Thanks for addressing this concern. That which you have stated in the above quote, however, leads me to another line of questions (for anyone company-side that can answer):

If we choose not to use the opt-in feature why must Arc continue to run after the game is launched?

I have heard that it seeks applications that allow for cheating in the game (I do not recall the source so I treat it as a rumor for now). Is that the purpose for which Arc must remain operational after game launch?

Now for some details before my final question. This is to make my position on Arc quite clear, a position based on Arc's Marketing thus far, the level of communication regarding Arc (which has improved of late, thanks again), in addition to the concerns that I, and others, have mentioned up to this point.

I rather like the idea of a unified infrastructure for all the games, even though I only play Star Trek: Online. I believe that said unification has the potential to make things easier for the purpose of expanding the games that fall under such an umbrella and that is a win for all involved.

The social and purchasing functions that are included with Arc are going to be great for those that use such things. Not being much of a social gamer, myself, these functions have little to no value for me. Clearly this does not apply to everyone and thus we have demographics to consider within the gaming population. I get that and I'm fine with it.

I will not download Arc while it is in beta because it is in beta. For me, personally, there is simply too much that can go wrong with regard to security. Once burned and all that (Not by PWE or Cryptic). When Arc reaches full-blown "Go Mode" I still will not download it if any portion runs in the background without full disclosure regarding it's activities. Possibly not even then depending upon what I learn.

Now for that long-awaited final question...
    Is there any discussion within the company of designing Arc in a manner that would appeal to everyone within the gaming population?

If so, I can tell you how to do it...

1) Keep the unified platform idea.
    2) Keep the social and purchasing functions.
    3) Create an options menu within the Arc launcher that contains simple check boxes that allow the individual player to decide which features they want to activate and allow the individual player to change their mind at any time. For example:

[] Activate game launcher

[] Activate social functions

[] Activate purchasing functions

[] Share system information

[] Disable Arc functions upon game launch

Building Arc in this manner also provides a bonus for PWE. Imagine a press release wherein PWE is able to state that, "We have learned from the mistakes made by other gaming companies and we have even gone so far as to work with our player base to design a platform that suits everyone's purpose and play-style."

If Arc were implemented in that manner I believe that the ensuing good will could be a huge advantage for PWE. I would even go so far as to do my own "write up" on how Arc, with it's array of options, is the most consumer-friendly interface in recent history.

That kind of good will cannot be purchased. It can only be earned.

Again, thank you for the increased interactions.
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    [imho]
    smeeinn1t wrote: »
    Well I'm taking the plunge... I have the original installation running on my main PC, now I have posted many times that I'm unhappy with the introduction of ARC, but as I am planning on completely wiping and re-installing this 2nd PC I've decided to try ARC.

First of all the dl/installation was quick and easy, options for privacy used and no sign of any hidden 'features' so far.

I'm typing this on the arc browser while DL/installing STO, which is currently trying to update launcher...

Total time so far 28 mins!

STO now updating...

Arc.exe*32 = 80,064kb

ArcOSBrowser = 71,392kb

Star trek online*32 = 80,271kb (while updating)

I'll update this post when update is complete.

Well finally got the chance to post an update (sometimes RL has to win...).

The install and update went well, just under 2 hrs. Then I ran the game and it all went south...

EXTREMELY slow loading and for the first time I was lagging, one of the things that I'd never had before in STO. Graphics were way slower loading than without ARC, many missing body/uniform parts on players and npcs. Changing graphics settings to minimum just left it blocky, body/uniform parts were still missing. I took screenshots, or at least I tried to take screenshots, but IF ARC saved them on my PC then I can't find them...

I monitored my system during all of this and didn't see any signs of unwelcome disk access, or any new processes running. My graphics card was 15?C warmer than without ARC, but it can handle it.

Closed ARC, then tried to run the STO launcher on it's own... NO problem, worked fine, ARC didn't open and I logged in and played with less lag, although still a little from everyone running around SFA. Checked my system and found no sign of ARC trying to do anything, yay ;).

Thursdays patch updated through just the STO launcher, but only after the second attempt. The first attempt got me as far as the patch button appearing before crashing.

Anyway, I'm going to keep the install on this pc for another week and see how the upcoming patch goes through ARC, just for curiosity. Then it's gone and I'll continue playing without it. If it becomes compulsory then I'll switch to Steam.

[/imho]
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • truereflectiontruereflection Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ARC keeps timing me out.... ARC is TRIBBLE..if I only knew .I would have no to your Kahn uniforms...
    :mad:
  • neotrident12neotrident12 Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Have we had any updated on what the effects of this change would be on Steam clients?

This has turned into an extremely hot topic, we just hit the first page of most replied topics in the Galactic News Network.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hi all, thank you for your feedback.

I know there hasn't been a lot of communication on the spyware issue, so I'm going to give you a brief explanation on what we can actually track. In short, we don't track anything you don't want us to, as we have the opt-in feature for if you choose to let us. All this feature allows us to do is track your system information that can be easily found when you navigate to "Help">"System Information" in Arc. We do this as it helps us find any potential software and hardware issues, which in turn allows us to better optimize Arc for as many configurations as possible. Keep in mind though, that this is all through the opt-in system. If you do not opt-in, we will not be able to track your system information.

I hope that clears things up, and if there's anything else please let me know.

On my computer, this scanning really takes a ton of resources and it really lowers performance to the point STO is very laggy and unresponsive. And this is on a new computer that has nothing on it.

Also, I like to know why ARC installed BHOs on my Internet Browsers without my permission. According to California Law, I have to be informed if you are adding or altering other programs on my computer. And frankly, ARC has no business being there.

And as for ARC itself, I do not find ARC useful at all but a "middleman" getting me into STO. So with all due respect, I rather just keep the STO launcher and have maximum performance.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    On my computer, this scanning really takes a ton of resources and it really lowers performance to the point STO is very laggy and unresponsive. And this is on a new computer that has nothing on it.

Also, I like to know why ARC installed BHOs on my Internet Browsers without my permission. According to California Law, I have to be informed if you are adding or altering other programs on my computer. And frankly, ARC has no business being there.

And as for ARC itself, I do not find ARC useful at all but a "middleman" getting me into STO. So with all due respect, I rather just keep the STO launcher and have maximum performance.

Steam does it better.
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Free Kahn Uniform, Promotional box. Its all nice but it still leads to people installing and uninstalling or using a VM to run the game to get the item.

There is something you can so if you want people to keep using ARC. Since the game knows if you are logged in with ARC then why not make an ARC Passive trait.

Give it:
    +5 to Sif
    +5 to shields
    +5% Crit Severity
    +0.5% Crit Chance

Make it disappear if some one logs in without arc. The player base will use it on their own accord.
  • l30p4rdl30p4rd Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Data mining software that makes them more money than you can imagine. With the details they glean from you with the software they make a fortune marketing and selling YOUR details to the highest bidder !
  • sparkiesoftsparkiesoft Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 47
    edited February 2014
    r5e4w3q2 wrote: »
    Yes, unless the system information is only collected once when ARC is initially installed.

Sorry about the delay. That said, currently you need to uninstall/re-install in order to change that setting. We do have plans to give players the option without having to uninstall/re-install, however that will come in a future update.
    edited February 2014
    Hi Sparkiesoft,

Thanks for addressing this concern. That which you have stated in the above quote, however, leads me to another line of questions (for anyone company-side that can answer):

If we choose not to use the opt-in feature why must Arc continue to run after the game is launched?

I have heard that it seeks applications that allow for cheating in the game (I do not recall the source so I treat it as a rumor for now). Is that the purpose for which Arc must remain operational after game launch?

Now for some details before my final question. This is to make my position on Arc quite clear, a position based on Arc's Marketing thus far, the level of communication regarding Arc (which has improved of late, thanks again), in addition to the concerns that I, and others, have mentioned up to this point.

I rather like the idea of a unified infrastructure for all the games, even though I only play Star Trek: Online. I believe that said unification has the potential to make things easier for the purpose of expanding the games that fall under such an umbrella and that is a win for all involved.

The social and purchasing functions that are included with Arc are going to be great for those that use such things. Not being much of a social gamer, myself, these functions have little to no value for me. Clearly this does not apply to everyone and thus we have demographics to consider within the gaming population. I get that and I'm fine with it.

I will not download Arc while it is in beta because it is in beta. For me, personally, there is simply too much that can go wrong with regard to security. Once burned and all that (Not by PWE or Cryptic). When Arc reaches full-blown "Go Mode" I still will not download it if any portion runs in the background without full disclosure regarding it's activities. Possibly not even then depending upon what I learn.

Now for that long-awaited final question...
    Is there any discussion within the company of designing Arc in a manner that would appeal to everyone within the gaming population?

If so, I can tell you how to do it...

1) Keep the unified platform idea.
    2) Keep the social and purchasing functions.
    3) Create an options menu within the Arc launcher that contains simple check boxes that allow the individual player to decide which features they want to activate and allow the individual player to change their mind at any time. For example:

[] Activate game launcher

[] Activate social functions

[] Activate purchasing functions

[] Share system information

[] Disable Arc functions upon game launch

Building Arc in this manner also provides a bonus for PWE. Imagine a press release wherein PWE is able to state that, "We have learned from the mistakes made by other gaming companies and we have even gone so far as to work with our player base to design a platform that suits everyone's purpose and play-style."

If Arc were implemented in that manner I believe that the ensuing good will could be a huge advantage for PWE. I would even go so far as to do my own "write up" on how Arc, with it's array of options, is the most consumer-friendly interface in recent history.

That kind of good will cannot be purchased. It can only be earned.

Again, thank you for the increased interactions.

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to address this as well.

"If we choose not to use the opt-in feature why must Arc continue to run after the game is launched?"

Currently that's just the way it was designed. It may change in the future, but I don't have enough details to say that for sure just quite yet.

"Is there any discussion within the company of designing Arc in a manner that would appeal to everyone within the gaming population?"

I can tell you we talk about that almost everyday. At the end of the day, we're making this platform for you guys, so we most definitely take all of your feedback into consideration. You may not see it right away, but we always put these ideas on the table and work out what is feasible and what is not. As for your suggestion, I don't think it's been suggested yet, so I'm going to bring that up the next chance I get. Giving players options is always a good thing!

Also, sorry for not knowing how to break up a quote. -_-
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Also, sorry for not knowing how to break up a quote. -_-

That part is easy you insert quote and /quote in square brackets around what you are quoting

I still haven't seen any addressing about the overhead of the client itself. While I can understand you have to have some memory runtime, I look at this, ARC supports so few games compared to Steam or even Origin. With that said, its memory overhead is way too much comparatively. Are there plans to address this before it is decided by the powers that be that everyone must use the program?

Also, its been said that steam support will be continued once ARC is deployed. Will this be so that ARC will NOT be involved in any way with the steam launched client?
  • strorusstrorus Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hello,

It looks great so far to me; would be great to display accolades etc through the social side of the App.

My only two concerns, like so many others have said is the amount of memory it uses; especially for a program running in the "background". And the security; will Arc be protected by anti-virus software such as Norton etc.

Reduce that memory grab, maybe have some security section / monitor and you got me sold :P
  • canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So, haven't really been following this too closely, it tends to get a bit too toxic for my tastes, but I was wondering if anybody else actually likes the way that with Arc you only have to sign into once then when launching your games you don't have to re-input your password everytime you exit the game or switch to a different one (I play STO and Neverwinter). For me it's been great.
  • damix4damix4 Member Posts: 609 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I didn't had any bad experience with Arc so far. I was skeptic about it only because of forum posts and people saying things like: "No to ARC!!!" usually combined with "DOOOM" and "I Quit!!!". That is why I didn't installed it immediately. But it took me some time to realize how forums work - now I plan to stay out of it.

I see that it isn't that bad when I tried it out. So far no one stolen my passwords or took control of my pc. I like the visuals Arc offers and those tabs that give quicker access ..when I exit the game - I exit the Arc too so it doesn't work in background- problem solved. But I hope they change this in future update as I would rather see it fully closed when I exit STO.

Best thing about it for me is the thing that I just have to click "Play" so I have much faster access to the game. I can say I really like this.

:)
    edited February 2014
    castsbugc wrote: »
    That part is easy you insert quote and /quote in square brackets around what you are quoting

I still haven't seen any addressing about the overhead of the client itself. While I can understand you have to have some memory runtime, I look at this, ARC supports so few games compared to Steam or even Origin. With that said, its memory overhead is way too much comparatively. Are there plans to address this before it is decided by the powers that be that everyone must use the program?

Also, its been said that steam support will be continued once ARC is deployed. Will this be so that ARC will NOT be involved in any way with the steam launched client?
    strorus wrote: »
    Hello,

It looks great so far to me; would be great to display accolades etc through the social side of the App.

My only two concerns, like so many others have said is the amount of memory it uses; especially for a program running in the "background". And the security; will Arc be protected by anti-virus software such as Norton etc.

Reduce that memory grab, maybe have some security section / monitor and you got me sold :P

To answer both of these, we are well aware of the memory usage and are looking to see what the cause is. I don't have any specifics yet, but when I do, I'll be able to address the question better.

As for the other two questions, I do not have a solid answer just yet, but I will try and find out.
  • capemike4capemike4 Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Never had a problem with memory usage here, as I mentioned earlier in another thread...I can run Windows Media Player in the background as it streams an internet radio broadcast, not to mention my Trend Micro Titanium always being on in the background, without a noticeable drop-off in performance from any of them...of course, this -is- a virtually new PC, as I got it back in October, so your mileage may vary! :)
    When in doubt...Gravity Well TO THE FACE!! :D
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hi Sparkiesoft,

I'm not certain about breaking up quotes either, even with Catsbugc explaining it. Or it's just been a long day...

Mainly I just wanted to thank you again for your responses and the information they provide.

I also hope my suggestion goes over well because it's basically a compromise that would leave all concerned not entirely happy with the outcome. I've heard that is an indicator of a good compromise. The truth of the matter is that I do not want to stop playing Star Trek: Online and I worry that I may have to.

I do quite enjoy the increased communication, as I said earlier, and I wish to see that continue as much as possible as it will alleviate some concerns.

I still have a line in the sand, though. I always will. Communication, however, is what allows me to move that line a bit. For example, I have decided to give Champions Online a go. Through Steam, as that is not still in Beta and many have lauded it's improvements (I can also circumvent it).

So, once again, thank you. I hope your efforts, and those of other communicative developers, are recognized as the good public relations that they are.
  • varthelmvarthelm Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So far....no bad issues having Arc....just no good ones either. Do not see how it improves my enjoyment of the game in any respect.
  • ruminate00ruminate00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Cryptic's single game launcher has a memory footprint of approximately 30k KB
    Steam has a memory footprint of only 30k KB when not viewing their store.
    Steam has a memory footprint of approximately 80k KB when viewing their store.
    Battle.net App has a memory footprint of approximately 100k KB
    Arc has a memory footprint of approximately 110k KB
    Origin has a memory footprint of approximately 130k KB
    Uplay has a memory footprint of approximately 220k KB

This above includes all of the additional processes they open, not just the client itself.

Uplay is generally regarded as the worst online service.
    Steam is generally regarded as the best online service.

Be more like Steam and less like Uplay.
    ...actually scratch that. Try to be BETTER than Steam.
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This... is... weird...
    I just installed Arc on my laptop for the goodies and STO is actually running faster and more smooth with a better fps launching it from Arc. Arc takes up resources so this doesn't make any sense.
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    canis36 wrote: »
    but I was wondering if anybody else actually likes the way that with Arc you only have to sign into once then when launching your games you don't have to re-input your password everytime you exit the game or switch to a different one (I play STO and Neverwinter). For me it's been great.

When I used arc in my virtual machine I hit the play button and it loads up the log in screen on the sto launcher. I have to sign in twice.
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    robdmc wrote: »
    When I used arc in my virtual machine I hit the play button and it loads up the log in screen on the sto launcher. I have to sign in twice.
    I do not as it bypasses the launcher pass check.
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This... is... weird...
    I just installed Arc on my laptop for the goodies and STO is actually running faster and more smooth with a better fps launching it from Arc. Arc takes up resources so this doesn't make any sense.
    You are the first person I have ever seen to make that comment. Now if Arc actually incorporated something useful, functions like those the Razor Game Booster that shuts down unneeded Windows processes during gaming to increase game performance I might be a lot less skeptical about it.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • kaarruukaarruu Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    At the end of the day, we're making this platform for you guys, so we most definitely take all of your feedback into consideration. You may not see it right away, but we always put these ideas on the table and work out what is feasible and what is not.

If this is true, communication and transparency are the way to go. The fact that you're reading and replying here goes a long way with the first bit, so that's certainly appreciated.
    Giving players options is always a good thing!

I would like the option to not use ARC at all. Or rather, I would like to keep playing STO without being forced to choose between using ARC and quitting. Apparently that's not in the cards, so instead I'll try and explain my concerns.

Any launcher that keeps running after having served its purpose (launching a game) is naturally suspicious. If what it does and why is not explained clearly and in detail, I will consider the launcher an unacceptable security risk.

All the overlays, plugins and gimmicks are unnecessary for me. None of my real life friends play this game, and for ingame friends we have friends list, fleet chat and various custom chat channels. The C-store works just fine the way it is now. My point is, when I'm playing the game, I'm playing the game: not browsing websites, shopping or stalking my friends' activities, but playing the game.

With the above in mind, it would be good to have options for ARC to shut itself down and do nothing more until it's needed to launch a game again.
This discussion has been closed.