test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stranded in the Delta quaddrant. What ship?

124»

Comments

• adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Saying that, in the Nova class' defence - the Equinox clearly took a pounding (there was plenty of visible damage) and would have undoubtedly have been outnumbered on most, if not all, occasions. The fact that she was still operable, could acheive warp, and could just about sustain her crew speaks volumes in my opinion.

This is exactly my point, had the Equinox had the course and encounters Voyager had it would likely have sailed through them with little issue.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited January 2014
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    adamkafei wrote: »
    Personally I'd probably take the Nova, it's got the kit to deal with most things out there and enough firepower to shoot it's way out of a fight if the need arose :) Plus being a ship of science it likely has at least one holodeck.

nova is not meant for long term travelling, it's something of a miracle the equinox made it as far as voyager. but even voyager had the nova dead to rights pretty quickly and other ships almost had voyager as well. the equinox got lucky. the nova was meant for short range planetary surveys where there are stations capable of resupply. it's sensors ability would be perfect out in the delta quadrant, but the rest of it wouldnt be and having such a small crew means it can be easily overrun by enemies when the shields come down, besides its small warp core which couldnt even reach warp 9 means it was probably even more limited in power then other ships.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    azniadeet wrote: »

Ah, yes. The good old U.S.S. Hotlink Alert. A fine ship, and a credit to her crew.

*salute*
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited January 2014
    Avenger would be my choice with my handy cloaking device

About the defiant class

It does not come with a sick bay or doctor

It has no mess hall or way to replicate or prepar food only stocked with combat rations

The Defiant is a short range ship and not suited for any type of long term missions

watch the episodeof DS-9 when Sisko first brought the Defiant to the station
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
    edited January 2014
    nova is not meant for long term travelling, it's something of a miracle the equinox made it as far as voyager. but even voyager had the nova dead to rights pretty quickly and other ships almost had voyager as well. the equinox got lucky. the nova was meant for short range planetary surveys where there are stations capable of resupply. it's sensors ability would be perfect out in the delta quadrant, but the rest of it wouldnt be and having such a small crew mens it can be easily overrun by enemies when the shields come down.

Sure but in fairness to the ship it had already had a very rough trip, I dare say more so than Voyager at that time so to have held off the Intrepid that was in a better condition and had more spare parts etc, for as long as it did in it's condition is pretty impressive, even more impressive in my opinion is that it got through the Krowtonan Guard.

I stand by that it is a very sturdy ship.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
    edited January 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »
    Avenger would be my choice with my handy cloaking device

About the defiant class

It does not come with a sick bay or doctor

False.
    It has no mess hall or way to replicate or prepar food only stocked with combat rations

False.
    The Defiant is a short range ship and not suited for any type of long term missions

Not suited to do it comfortably, anyway, but comfort is irrelevant. ;)
    watch the episodeof DS-9 when Sosko first brought the Defiant to the station

You mean the one where Doctor Bashir referred to "what is laughingly called a sick bay," establishing that the ship has both a doctor and a sick bay?
    edited January 2014
    Well, I'd rather have a ship that is the best of all.

Then you don't want an Intrepid, either.
    The Defiant class was NOT Starfleet's most powerful nor most durable ship class.

On what do you base this? At the time of it's inception, the extra armor plating, auto-modulating phaser pulse cannons fed from the main antimatter reactor, and quantum torpedoes, were notable as non-standard equipment for Starfleet vessels.
    The Avenger class, for example, would be more durable than a Defiant class, has the tactical strength to hold it's own just as well and, considering it's size, would be a whole lot more comfortable.

I would definitely consider an Avenger as an alternative, but I'll still take a Defiant over an Intrepid.
    Voyager didn't get into fights in every episode.

Not every episode, but certainly often enough to make combat capability a significant issue.
    Personally, I'd likely want a Vesta. Good choice for exploration with it's sci-focus, fast, good tactical capability, fairly large, has some carrier capability, and has Advanced Slipstream drive.

Another one I'd take over an Intrepid, for a stable slipstream drive alone. Don't have to worry so much about fighting if you're zipping home in time for Xmas. :D
    edited January 2014
    I will add too that it seems as if everyone has become a little one-track minded about this, and all that matters is going around looking for fights, and how fast the ship in question could blow another ship up. Voyager didn't get into fights in every episode.

In fairness Voyager did establish that the Delta quadrant is a very hostile environment so I know for a fact I would want a ship capable of weathering said environment and coming out on top if it comes to it, though I do want the possibility of exploration and a bit of comfort, the size of the ship comes into it as a factor of mobility, hence my choice of the nova as it serves all these conditions and it goes fairly fast.
    Personally, I'd likely want a Vesta. Good choice for exploration with it's sci-focus, fast, good tactical capability, fairly large, has some carrier capability, and has Advanced Slipstream drive.

While I see your reasoning, using carrier capabilities drain your resources in that you need to maintain your craft and our parent ship, thus it is more economical to run a ship without the carrier capacity, in addition a smaller ship theoretically requires less power to propel in any direction :)
    ZiOfChe.png?1
    edited January 2014
    adamkafei wrote: »
    Sure but in fairness to the ship it had already had a very rough trip, I dare say more so than Voyager at that time so to have held off the Intrepid that was in a better condition and had more spare parts etc, for as long as it did in it's condition is pretty impressive, even more impressive in my opinion is that it got through the Krowtonan Guard.

I stand by that it is a very sturdy ship.

it was lucky to of survived as far as it did. had it not encountered voyager the nova would of be destroyed by those alien lifeforms. the captain and commander did seem particularly arrogant they would be able to get home, but under constant alien lifeform attacks, even the commander and captain would fall to it leaving the ship empty and at the mercy of these lifeforms. who knows what types of other races out there that could still attack the nova class ship.
    edited January 2014
    Some wild conjecture for everyone to chew on:

Suppose something like a Defiant, with it's "tucked in" hull configuration and excess system power and structural integrity, were somehow better suited to the quantum slipstream drive prototype they were testing in Timeless.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,435 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hanover2 wrote: »
    Bah! I bet you Defiant-haters would also not consider taking a 1,000+ mile journey by yourself in a beat up old Jeep.
    But you're not taking a 1000+ mile trip by yourself - you've got three other people in there with you (and they're co-workers, not friends). And on most of this trip, you've got to get by on the food and spare fuel you packed, because there aren't any convenience stores or gas stations for long stretches of road. And the radio doesn't work. Neither do your cellphones, except to call each other.

I'll take my Dodge Durango for that trip, thanks. More room for gas cans and road snacks.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited January 2014
    Some wild conjecture for everyone to chew on:

Suppose something like a Defiant, with it's "tucked in" hull configuration and excess system power and structural integrity, were somehow better suited to the quantum slipstream drive prototype they were testing in Timeless.

means dismantling the warp core in order to fit the quantum slipstream drive. the defiant was noted as being a power hog, so eliminating the warp core for a short time in the delta quadrant is probably not the smartest move especially if the defiant doesnt have a backup power supply to run off incase of an attack and shields and weapons are needed, let alone the reserves to attack for any amount of time and if there would be any power left to complete the drive before life support went out. now we dont know what effect this drive would have on something as small as a defiant because it was noted that voyager had borg components and bio neural technology, the drive itself had some borg components which would of likely been integrated to the the rest of the borg tech that remained on voyager in order to speed up some efficiency.
    edited January 2014
    The situation pertaining to the 'spirts of good fortune' was one that the Equinox crew brought upon themselves.
    I tend to agree with adamkafei; the Equinox was damaged, due to the beating it took (and survived) from the Krowtonan Guard, but she wasn't irreprable and if the crew had just accepted the Ankari's food and supplies, and left, they would have surived just as well as Voyager did.

it didnt survive though, thats the point, that ship never made it out of the delta quadrant and what i am getting at that if voyager wasnt around and the alien attacked continued that the nova ship would of been destroyed well before leaving the delta quadrant.

i understand the point your trying to make about the nova that if it were any other captain and they understood the situation better and knew better that they could of survived to voyager without too much damage or loss of life and could of made it home, but since only one nova was ever out in the delta quadrant and it was blown to bits, right now its the only thing i got to go on.

would also be best to realize that if the nova was on its own for 70 years there could of been any threat out there that could easily wipe out the nova, but because of its small size it still would need to stop off more often.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited January 2014
    False.

False.

Not suited to do it comfortably, anyway, but comfort is irrelevant. ;)

You mean the one where Doctor Bashir referred to "what is laughingly called a sick bay," establishing that the ship has both a doctor and a sick bay?

yea watch the show man/read a few manuals too ...Doctor bashir was put on the ship by Sosko not by starfleet

Obrian stated about the combat rations

and there is notreplicator...Quark tried to sell sisko one for the defiant

just watch the show again hahaaa you cant make a small defiant into a cruiser able to do 4 year long missions like the Enterprise did
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
    edited January 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »

yea watch the show man/read a few manuals too ...Doctor bashir was put on the ship by Sosko not by starfleet

Obrian stated about the combat rations

and there is notreplicator...Quark tried to sell sisko one for the defiant

just watch the show again hahaaa you cant make a small defiant into a cruiser able to do 4 year long missions like the Enterprise did

bashir was a apart of starfleet, subject to the orders of his superior so as far as bashir was concerned it came from starfleet.

there were replicators on the defiant but considering what little luxary there is on the defiant and what little time the crew had with it, at first the replicators onboard only had the basics and likely not calibrated properly. quark also mentioned something about ordering something from a defiant replicator and getting something horrible then offered to sisko the chance to buy better replicators. later on skisko agrees with quark when he does his usual reaction with a Raktajino.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Gal-X.

Go big and go home.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    D'deridex. Big, spacious, not particularly over-crewed for its size. Can cloak and hide. And an inexhaustible fuel supply.

Thing about M/AM warp cores is that you need the proper kind of fuel to power them and antimatter is difficult to make on-board the ship. With a singularity core, you just need to throw any kind of interstellar matter into it to make it produce energy. Romulan ships wouldn't have the innate fuel problem that Federation ships would have in a realistic Delta Quadrant scenario (Voyager pretended fuel shortages didn't exist in 99% of all episodes).

I also subscribe to the theory that Romulan fusion(impulse) reactors are far superior to Federation and Klingon designs for power generation because in The Original Series, all they did was use and improve on fusion reactors until they harnessed singularity cores.
    edited January 2014
    Again, the Equinox's situation was one that they brought upon themselves. They provoked and murdered the 'spirits of good fortune' and did so for an extended period. The 'spirits' attacked the Equinox consistently for an extended period of time. It was a situation that the Equinox crew manufactured.

I repeat, if they had taken the food and supplies and simply left, they'd have survived just as well as Voyager did.

so your not willing to even conceed points on the nova? then i got nothing more discuss with you about it and any further attempts will meet with the same stonewalling you have given me on the issue thus far.
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    No offense but the Defiant replicators were likely standard but here is the main difference.

As far we can see ALL replicators were located in the Mess Hall, other ships like Voyager had replicators on crew quarters.

There were just 3 replicators for 50 people.

This is just "writting" ... there would be no difference of the Defiant replicators and the others ones since it would been a standard model as creating a whole new model just for one ship that didnt even worked would be a waste of resources.

the defiant did have replicators in the crew quarters that had double bunks, small space for 2 people each. to stoke the fire on the issue kira wouldnt of been able to succeed in stopping thomas riker without sabotaging the replicator in her crew quarters. who know what the difference is between replicators and their technology, cardassian replicators may use better molecule synthesis or something that beats starfleet replicators, but with a little tuning to the federation replicator it's possible to create something that may taste like something and do a good approximation of it.
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thing about M/AM warp cores is that you need the proper kind of fuel to power them and antimatter is difficult to make on-board the ship. With a singularity core, you just need to throw any kind of interstellar matter into it to make it produce energy. Romulan ships wouldn't have the innate fuel problem that Federation ships would have in a realistic Delta Quadrant scenario (Voyager pretended fuel shortages didn't exist in 99% of all episodes).

It always bothered me that the few times that Voyager did have a fuel shortage, it was deuterium that they needed. Deuterium is the third most common substance in the universe! Any location that has hydrogen would have several parts per million of deuterium in it, and if a nebula is too diffuse and gas giant planet too high-gravity, then you can extract it from common hydrogen monoxide (i.e. water/water ice) at several parts per million.
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd either want the TOS Constitution (beefed up of course), the Enterprise class, or the Excelsior class.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • damzelltrilldamzelltrill Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Federation Ships: Fleet Ambassador. Ok less storage space then a Galaxy, but it's a tough proven design.

Romulan ship: Ha'nom Guardian Warbird. Can't really point to any reasons, I just like the ship when I'm not using my Adapted Destroyer.

Klingon: Varanus Support Vessel. Ok, haven't played this ship, but it looks promising to me.

Multi Faction: Adaptive Destroyer. I get the idea the thing could probably do with less crew then Cryptic lists it having due to the Borg systems.
    A Trill, a Gorn, a Jem'Hadar, Bejoran and a Voth walk into a bar, and the Bartender asks "What is this a Joke?"
    "Nope, just my away team" the trill replies before ordering a round for the bar.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Anything with integrated slipstream drive, because it renders the scenario trivial. Instead of a 70-year voyage you're home in less than two weeks.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think that if a Defiant class ship were stranded in the Delta Quadrant, avoiding the Borg at all costs would be the best strategy, then.

Except that Borg Cubes are fast and can even overtake you in Warp.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    the Enterprise class

Excuse me? What class is that again? Never heard of it.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Excuse me? What class is that again? Never heard of it.

It's the TMP refit. FASA (along with a number of other sources), decided it was different enough, to warrant being a different class of vessel, from the TOS Constitution.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    It's not just recreational facilities it's lacking... it's cargo-space as well.

[Snip]
    admiralnat wrote: »
    So the Defiant would fail mainly because of it's lack of recreational facilities and storage space? The Defiant's Vigilant variant has extra space for such things. :D

[Snip]

I mentioned the cargo space, not just the recreational facilities... just sayin'.

The Vigilant is basically a Defiant with an enlarged area for recreational facilities and more storage space, thus it solves the Defiant's main issues with a 70 year voyage across the Delta quadrant. :D

Now, we still have the problem of survivability, but I'm sure throwing on a few [Enhanced Neutronium Alloy Mk XII [Hull HP]]s will take care of that. :D
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
    Oh, look, an explosion...