What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ideas for next playable faction?

Comments

• moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Terran Empire

Slap on a goatee.

There, you're a 1960's Terran counterpart.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Considering Cryptic has stated they're not interested in making any "evil" factions, we can forget the Dominion, Borg, and Undine.

What is the problem with an evil faction? It would be fun to play the bad guy. And don't tell me that being the bad guys wouldn't be popular with anyone, in Star Wars The Old Republic you can play the bad guys as the Sith Empire and people love it so why not be able to play as the Dominion or the Borg?
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What is the problem with an evil faction? It would be fun to play the bad guy. And don't tell me that being the bad guys wouldn't be popular with anyone, in Star Wars The Old Republic you can play the bad guys as the Sith Empire and people love it so why not be able to play as the Dominion or the Borg?

You misunderstand. I don't personally have a problem with people deciding to play the bad guys. I'm saying Cryptic has a problem with it. I don't know why.

With the Borg specifically, there's another problem: There is zero individualism, so you can forget any ship customization. You are drone X of Y, Cardinal Number Adjunct to Unimatrix Yadda, aboard cube number yadda with the same armaments and capabilities as any other cube. You have no free will. You serve the Collective.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited January 2014
    You misunderstand. I don't personally have a problem with people deciding to play the bad guys. I'm saying Cryptic has a problem with it. I don't know why.

With the Borg specifically, there's another problem: There is zero individualism, so you can forget any ship customization. You are drone X of Y, Cardinal Number Adjunct to Unimatrix Yadda, aboard cube number yadda with the same armaments and capabilities as any other cube. You have no free will. You serve the Collective.

I understand all that with the Borg but what I was really trying to say is that I want the Dominion as a playable faction.
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Idk if I agree with there being yet another faction. After what they did with the romulans, its hard for me to think another would be any better.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,148 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I look at it like this... if it's in a lockbox... forget about it... so... No... Tholians, Breen, Cardassians, Voth, Elachi, Dominion, Ferengi or Mirror Universe... that said.. i'm happy to be proven wrong cryptic...

... then again... just go Undine... let us play the "bad" guys.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited January 2014
    I am all for bad guys (mostly Dominion).
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I understand all that with the Borg but what I was really trying to say is that I want the Dominion as a playable faction.

[Strother Martin voice]What we've got heah is failyuh to commun'cate.[/Strother Martin voice]
    You misunderstand. I don't personally have a problem with people deciding to play the bad guys. I'm saying Cryptic has a problem with it.

Borg = "the bad guys." Dominion also = "the bad guys."

Cryptic says no to playable bad guys. Not "no to the Borg," but "no to the bad guys," which includes (but is not limited to) the Borg.

ghyudt wrote: »
    Idk if I agree with there being yet another faction. After what they did with the romulans, its hard for me to think another would be any better.

The guys in charge have already confirmed this would be the case:
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I think they won't do that. If I remember correctly, some dev stated that they won't alter the two faction model in any way, though I can't remember the reasons.

So any added factions will almost undoubtedly be just like the Romulans- watered down into Fed and KDF sub-groups pretending to be a faction.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »
    I look at it like this... if it's in a lockbox... forget about it... so... No... Tholians, Breen, Cardassians, Voth, Elachi, Dominion, Ferengi or Mirror Universe... that said.. i'm happy to be proven wrong cryptic...

... then again... just go Undine... let us play the "bad" guys.

I don't want to play a Voth, ever. Their origin pisses me off.

I love the Jem'Hadar, though. Victory is life!

Breen are OK, if sociopathic. Tholians--no thanks. Cardies--nah, unless you can get Garak's voice. Elachi--NO WAY will I be an Iconian thrall. Ferengi--Yes, but only if we get Jeffery Combs's voice as Brunt, and we get the Ferengi homeworld with Grand Nagus Rom and his sexy Bajoran first lady.

My 2 slips of latinum.
    edited January 2014
    [Strother Martin voice]What we've got heah is failyuh to commun'cate.[/Strother Martin voice]

Borg = "the bad guys." Dominion also = "the bad guys."

Cryptic says no to playable bad guys. Not "no to the Borg," but "no to the bad guys," which includes (but is not limited to) the Borg.

But, canonically (and in-game) the Klingons are bad guys. So are the Rommies. And yet, I have a KDF-allied Romulan shooting her borderline-suicidal heart out at some Voth on a daily basis.
    edited January 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    But, canonically (and in-game) the Klingons are bad guys. So are the Rommies. And yet, I have a KDF-allied Romulan shooting her borderline-suicidal heart out at some Voth on a daily basis.

I don't claim to understand Cryptic's "logic." In fact, with regard to said logic, I find the company's name very apt indeed. ;) Yes, when they say "bad guys" they obviously mean "any bad guys besides the Klingons."
    edited January 2014
    I don't claim to understand Cryptic's "logic." In fact, with regard to said logic, I find the company's name very apt indeed. ;) Yes, when they say "bad guys" they obviously mean "any bad guys besides the Klingons and the Romulans."

Fixed.

And yeah, I agree. Cryptic is very similar to Goa'uld architecture (see: logic, absence of). :P

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. I sooooo want to play a Jem'Hadar.
    edited January 2014
    Fixed.

And yeah, I agree. Cryptic is very similar to Goa'uld architecture (see: logic, absence of). :P

Wouldn't surprise me if they apply the same treatment as the Rommies got- neuter them as a threat, make them nice docile little refugees, split them in two and let the Feds and KDF assimilate away.

That's the only way I can grasp the whole "no bad guys, yet we're playing Romulans" thing without my head exploding- apparently some part of the whitewashing process given to them makes them "born-again good guys" from here on out?

-shrug-
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Fixed.

They made the Romulans "good guys".
    The debate about the Romulan Republic was one of the main things which made Cryptic invent the "we don't do bad guys" argument.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The Borg are invading their colonies, the breen still bombard their world. They were on DS9 when the Dominion returned - I'm feeling their time of neutrality is over. Players deciding to join Fed/KDF would represent rivaling philosophies amongst the population and they should be capable, with help from their allies, to construct ships of their own.

there are references in game if i remember right about some deferi believing that if they die to the borg or breen that it restores balance to their system. but i concede its possible there could be stragglers that think its time to fight back but they are in the minority with the rest of their people. but i doubt the deferi would even act on their own behalf especially with starfleet, kdf and rommies helping out to push out the borg and keeping breen raiders off the area. why would they need a military of their own with these three groups invested in helping out, different motives or not.

if the deferi were to become playable then the borg invasion of deferi would need to be removed from the game while a storyline on the subject is created. in addition to this that spineless deferi ambassador would need to have starfleet kdf and romulans pull out of the area so the deferi can reclaim what they have grown so dependent on.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited January 2014
    That stuff about the Romulans being said...

The Dominion isn't a backstabbing mess like the RSE and IRS (a splinter group that rejoined the RSE some time around the Hobus event) are. It's very simply run: Some Founder (hopefully Odo, if they can get his voice) tells the player what to do, and the player does it.

It's kind of like the KDF in some ways. The only difficulties with a Dominino faction (and please a full faction, not another split faction--it made sense for rommies, but it's TRIBBLE for the Dominion) would be with the Cardassian front and 2800 story arcs.
  • alan171717alan171717 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I would love to play as a Vorta, Cardassian, or Breen personally, 3 of my favorite species. from the show.
    "I am a travelor of both time and space to be where I have been"
    edited January 2014
    The "no bad guy" thing is a lame excuse for not making a bad guy faction and is irrelevant since they have the KDF. I demand Dominion.
    edited January 2014
    The "no bad guy" thing is a lame excuse for not making a bad guy faction and is irrelevant since they have the KDF. I demand Dominion.

Well if we're taking it to that level, then I demand a pony. :P
  • grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well let them make an plot for the cardie's !!!
    Where the Cardassian decides they are done with living under a federation wing and set up rebel strategies to free themselves.

This is where we can choose between Cardassians, Breen, Dominion, Vorta's, Founders.

I don't think the Devs would do that because they might say it's too much work but then again it's a nice tread...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That stuff about the Romulans being said...

The Dominion isn't a backstabbing mess like the RSE and IRS (a splinter group that rejoined the RSE some time around the Hobus event) are. It's very simply run: Some Founder (hopefully Odo, if they can get his voice) tells the player what to do, and the player does it.

It's kind of like the KDF in some ways. The only difficulties with a Dominino faction (and please a full faction, not another split faction--it made sense for rommies, but it's TRIBBLE for the Dominion) would be with the Cardassian front and 2800 story arcs.

the situation is not as checkered as you think it is. the jem'hadar are soldiers and slaves in the dominion, neither valued or respected by the vorta or founders, they have to take regular injections of KW to keep active and to remain alive. while some serve loyally, there are a few who believe that they are nothing more then throw away clones in a war and the founders are not gods. so if these few can so easily believe this then it's possible the caste system isnt as smooth as the dominion make it look if many others believe this.

The vorta work as scientists, commanders and diplomats. blindly serving the founders as gods while the founders view them as throw away cowards with brains. Jem'Hadar only respect the Vorta to the point of the next injection in most cases, there are a few who loyally serve because the vorta through some misguided belief that the vrota took care of the Jem'Hadar after the birthing from the chamber.

Founders dont care for their subjects they command as long as they are left in peace on their world in the great link. occasionally stepping out to put in an appearance just because they are leaders.

should there be such a dominion faction, if a founder were to greet a jem'hadar player, they would be like the next jem'hadar and as a result no more or less special then the next throw away clone. on top of this there is that matter of what the highest position a jem'hadar can gain in the dominion beyond just a 1st still under the command of a vorta and rank. it would be absurd if the jem'hadar gained the equivalent rank of LGen/VAdm and had complete command of an entire sector with vorta serving this jem'hadar, it's unheard of.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Why anyone would like more of this half-baked artificially inserted non-applicable technical excuse for not having the resources to come up with factual faction creation, is beyond any facets of my imagination. Which means limitations must apply across the board. I'm limited in my views, and they are limited in their solutions. How well we must deserve each other, in this limitless partnership of give and take.

Maybe they should poll it again. With the correct wording this time:

"What new partially conceived fraction of something forever insubstantial, firmly attached to the existing ones so we don't have to create new content, then firmly split in twain so you can end up buying stuff on the exchange that will not work for your chosen half, would you want this time? What wonders of mixed signals and MMO'ish anarchy would you like to darken the skies with? Vote, and it shall be (partially) delivered, in all the glory of the truly incomplete, forever letting you yearn for more, for that is the true nature of our trusty digital delivery, to make it in name, as long as it is never truly integrated into the game!"

---
  • wdocwdoc Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Give into fate.....Undine
    Doc of Hammer
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dixonium wrote: »
    I'd still like to see an independent trader faction, represented by races such as the Ferengi, Yridians, Corvallens, Boslics, and non-affiliated Humans. Put Ferenginar in the game as their central hub. The advantage of a faction such as this is that it would embrace a different approach to gameplay, one that builds on elements such as the trading vessels and duty officer assignments already in place, and would not necessarily require a story-based mission progress system. It would also add some variety to the game.
    This would be nice, especially if we get cool toys like Theta Class ships.

Baran's had a fun passive armor that acted almost like a permanent MES. For in game, I guess it's give you a defense bonus, and reduce the range other ships can see you at(like a weak(but permanent) cloak maybe). Fun fact: It used RED disruptor beams.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited January 2014
    The Undine would be a bit on the OP side but still a good playable faction. For a Dominion faction how about this: You are a group of Jem'hadar who broke away from the Dominion as seen in a couple of DS9 episodes and are struggling to survive while the loyal Dominion are hunting you throughout the quadrant.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The Undine would be a bit on the OP side but still a good playable faction. For a Dominion faction how about this: You are a group of Jem'hadar who broke away from the Dominion as seen in a couple of DS9 episodes and are struggling to survive while the loyal Dominion are hunting you throughout the quadrant.
    *telekinetically strangles Zek*

no. :P

I actually do have a Fed Vorta character. :P

I'm in the opinion of doing a "kinder gentler Dominion". This is post DS9 Dominion, the ones who Odo went back to. The story could involve the Iconians, and the Founders discovering the sneaky vermin. Then they decide to get involved and renegotiate the terms of the Treaty of Bajor. but the Founders aren't sure which side to choose and let the player decide.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Not the instant dry concrete!!!! You bipedal scum!!!!

*Turns into Justin Bieber and starts singing*

Eat this!!!!

Behave Justundine or I'll send my army of holographic Nimoys singin' "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" after ya!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Antagonists are not automatically the bad guys unless you live in a world where people's attitudes is comparable to...North Korea for example.;)
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The only way you could play the Dominion factions is when we get a pseudo dominion subfaction of Founders, Vorta and Jem'Hadar which all embrace democracy and came to realize that we all are equal and best buddies. Like they did with the Romulans.

Do you really want to slaughter another canon faction like this?

Btw: I don't get why anyone would want to play a drug addict clone warrior... oh wait, it's the perfect grimdark angsty antihero, now I get it XD
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • strorusstrorus Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A new playable faction is not going to happen for a looooooong time... They need to do tons more playable (imo episodic) content to keep current players and their main toons and alts occupied.