test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ideas for next playable faction?

grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
For the next playable faction I would have to say I would like to have the Dominion and to be able to play as a Jem'hadar.
say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
Post edited by grandnaguszek1 on

Comments

• worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Agreed. My runner-up choice would be cardies, but Dominion has more species, more story, more justification to be flying warships, and is just plain cooler.

Kill any lib-borg faction with FIRE.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Flesh out the Deferi. They would be a perfect mini faction and STO wouldn't slaughter another Trek species. Of course, they'll probably take Cardassians that are nothing like Cardassians but the new, democratic good guy Cardassians but I wouldn't like that really.

Deferi. Or space cows.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • dixoniumdixonium Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd still like to see an independent trader faction, represented by races such as the Ferengi, Yridians, Corvallens, Boslics, and non-affiliated Humans. Put Ferenginar in the game as their central hub. The advantage of a faction such as this is that it would embrace a different approach to gameplay, one that builds on elements such as the trading vessels and duty officer assignments already in place, and would not necessarily require a story-based mission progress system. It would also add some variety to the game.
  • dixoniumdixonium Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Flesh out the Deferi. They would be a perfect mini faction and STO wouldn't slaughter another Trek species.

Also, I love this idea as I love the Deferi. They have been brilliantly handled as a fresh new Star Trek race original to STO, and I do hope they continue to expand on the history and culture that has been created for them.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,148 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Undine. Let us run around as tripedal aliens bent on destroying everything!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited January 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Undine. Let us run around as tripedal aliens bent on destroying everything!

No, thanks, I'd rather be a Jem'Hadar. Victory is life!
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Preferably non ... but Cardies / Dominion.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just a thought- for the next faction, can we get an actual faction?

Or are we all content with another half-baked "fraction" just so long as we get to play as our favorite alien snuggled warmly under the wing of (in the armpit of) the Federation or KDF?

Yeah, my only request is that whoever it is, it be worthy of actually calling a faction.
    edited January 2014
    Just a thought- for the next faction, can we get an actual faction?

Or are we all content with another half-baked "fraction" just so long as we get to play as our favorite alien snuggled warmly under the wing of (in the armpit of) the Federation or KDF?

Yeah, my only request is that whoever it is, it be worthy of actually calling a faction.

I think they won't do that. If I remember correctly, some dev stated that they won't alter the two faction model in any way, though I can't remember the reasons.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think they won't do that. If I remember correctly, some dev stated that they won't alter the two faction model in any way, though I can't remember the reasons.

I'm sure of it. It doesn't change my view at all, though- it just points out that since a real faction isn't an option, I'm relegated to my second choice: "Don't even waste time on it, since it's going to be half-assed at best."

-shrug-
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    next faction judging by the season 8 reputation cutscene probably means it could be borg naturally since the voth are in the delta quadrant as well.

but since we dont know until later in the year and it's already painted on the wall by cryptic what race it could be, that argument is moot.

on another point with races, nimbus III in Hessan's bar there were a number of alien gen races (Scroll to bottom of that page for list) i recognize from exploration dailies years ago playing from the fed side. Kenshek, Crimto and Strekkelan. there is plenty of room to open these races out in their own right at some point.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited January 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    No, thanks, I'd rather be a Jem'Hadar. Victory is life!

to hell with what you want... cryptic should put in what I want!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • forgottenmythforgottenmyth Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dixonium wrote: »
    I'd still like to see an independent trader faction, represented by races such as the Ferengi, Yridians, Corvallens, Boslics, and non-affiliated Humans. Put Ferenginar in the game as their central hub. The advantage of a faction such as this is that it would embrace a different approach to gameplay, one that builds on elements such as the trading vessels and duty officer assignments already in place, and would not necessarily require a story-based mission progress system. It would also add some variety to the game.

That's a pretty cool idea actually, however i think it should be done in the style of how the Romulan faction was designed, With an alliance to either Starfleet or the KDF. No need to thin out the population even more.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just throwing it out there, how about the Typhon Pact? If Cryptic can get CBS to sign off on it they have better justification for a decent number of playable species than most other proposals. Also potential political drama storylines like we got KDF-side, since the Typhon Pact members are allies on the surface but also always trying to one-up each other.

We'd get RSE Romulans, Breen, Tholians, Tzenkethi*, and Kinshaya, and maybe the Gorn if Cryptic takes the "Gorn separatists" plot thread that has been alluded to KDF-side and runs with it.

* On that subject, I hereby give Cryptic permission to use my version of the Tzenkethi.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Flesh out the Deferi. They would be a perfect mini faction and STO wouldn't slaughter another Trek species. Of course, they'll probably take Cardassians that are nothing like Cardassians but the new, democratic good guy Cardassians but I wouldn't like that really.

Deferi. Or space cows.

I certainly would like to see that happen. Cryptics devs could also add some of their own created Starship designs without violating Trek ships and some peoples sense of taste all the time.

The more i think about it, the more i like that idea.
    Let's not forget the deferi where part of the negotiation in the Dominion FE, so i think it would be only consequent to grant them to become a own mini faction.

If you think about it, cryptic would save a lot of work. Their home planet is already done, althrough they could add some more things, like ESD like consoles, Exchange etc.
    The biggest thing to do would be to add some more ships and a bit of story for the deferi.

EDIT:
    Personally i don't think that adding Cardassians would be a good idea. Since they lack the coolness of the Romulans and are basicly just some dislikable bad guys that are not even interesting at all. (just my opinion)
    On one hand they could make them the bad guys as they always where on TV, but that wouldn't make them very popular to play by most people. On the other hand they could do the same as they made with the Romulans but that would be just too similar and wouldn't be very interesting too.
    So i think making Cardassians a playable faction wouldn't add something new or even interesting to STO.
    (not to speak of Cryptic making money with them)
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
    edited January 2014
    What about the Nyberrite Alliance?

They could go crazy with those.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Deferi. Or space cows.

wouldn't make any sense, the Deferi in the game prefer to seek both sides of the issue and stay out of conflicts that are not theirs. they don't strike me as the war mongering type with thousands of ships hidden somewhere either. you may as well put a bet on space cows.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited January 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    I certainly would like to see that happen. Cryptics devs could also add some of their own created Starship designs without violating Trek ships and some peoples sense of taste all the time.

The more i think about it, the more i like that idea.
    Let's not forget the deferi where part of the negotiation in the Dominion FE, so i think it would be only consequent to grant them to become a own mini faction.

If you think about it, cryptic would save a lot of work. Their home planet is already done, althrough they could add some more things, like ESD like consoles, Exchange etc.
    The biggest thing to do would be to add some more ships and a bit of story for the deferi.

Exactly. They neglecting their only original creation that isn't all that terrible. Some time ago, I already had a few ideas for them.

Klingons could help them train ground personnel, resulting in Deferi Guardians complete with new costumes, unique weapons (a form of energy halberd?) and in space they could get a very own flagship next to the Odyssey, Bortas and Scimitar with joined technology from the supporting factions and some new gizmos like tripple beam banks (V shaped) and introducing subsyystem disabling torpedoes or something like that.
    wouldn't make any sense, the Deferi in the game prefer to seek both sides of the issue and stay out of conflicts that are not theirs. they don't strike me as the war mongering type with thousands of ships hidden somewhere either. you may as well put a bet on space cows.

The Borg are invading their colonies, the breen still bombard their world. They were on DS9 when the Dominion returned - I'm feeling their time of neutrality is over. Players deciding to join Fed/KDF would represent rivaling philosophies amongst the population and they should be capable, with help from their allies, to construct ships of their own.

Regarding the warlike image, it's true the Deferi don't have that, although they are based upon the Capellans from TOS, if I remember correctly.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What about the Nyberrite Alliance?

They could go crazy with those.

They went crazy when they made Starfleet. lol.

I think Cryptic could go another way and make The nyberrite Alliance something like TNG federation 2.0.
    (really good guys, able to defend themselves, without going militaristic crazy like they made Starfleet in STO)

Exactly. They neglecting their only original creation that isn't all that terrible. Some time ago, I already had a few ideas for them.

Klingons could help them train ground personnel, resulting in Deferi Guardians complete with new costumes, unique weapons (a form of energy halberd?) and in space they could get a very own flagship next to the Odyssey, Bortas and Scimitar with joined technology from the supporting factions and some new gizmos like tripple beam banks (V shaped) and introducing subsyystem disabling torpedoes or something like that.
    I like that. All other factions could add something for them and thus make the Deferi a integrated part of STO.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Terran Empire.
    edited January 2014
    Still voting for a Dominion faction. The Jem'Hadar are awesome.

And if we could have Weyoun, and Odo, to give us VO orders...hell yes!

And you could do stuff like shooting Iconians....

(seriously, I wants me some Iconians to shoot).
    edited January 2014
    Ignore the bipedal scum... Vote Undine

We can do naughty things like make the Gorn and Klingons go to war... then you know... kill all these bipedal scum who refuse to stay out of Fluidic space.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited January 2014
    Honorless qa'meH'quv! I shall eat your heart, Undine taHqeq!

:P

Seriously, why an Undine faction? All of their ships are intended to be OP.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ignore the bipedal scum... Vote Undine

We can do naughty things like make the Gorn and Klingons go to war... then you know... kill all these bipedal scum who refuse to stay out of Fluidic space.

LOL.
    If we really wanted to invade or destroy fluidic space there'd be an incredibly effective weapon to end that war really quickly...instantly you might say.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/instant-dry-mix-concrete-major-bag/invt/154432/

edited January 2014
    misterde3 wrote: »
    LOL.
    If we really wanted to invade or destroy fluidic space there'd be an incredibly effective weapon to end that war really quickly...instantly you might say.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/instant-dry-mix-concrete-major-bag/invt/154432/

Not the instant dry concrete!!!! You bipedal scum!!!!

*Turns into Justin Bieber and starts singing*

Eat this!!!!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited January 2014
    Not the instant dry concrete!!!! You bipedal scum!!!!

*Turns into Justin Bieber and starts singing*

Eat this!!!!

EYAHHHH!!!!! NOT JUSTIN BIEBER!!! His music is sooooooo annoying!

By the blood of Kahless, you shall fall this day, you to'ba! Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam, warriors! DEATH TO THE BIEBER!!!!!!!!!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Considering Cryptic has stated they're not interested in making any "evil" factions, we can forget the Dominion, Borg, and Undine.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • hank900hank900 Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I love this idea
    http://www.1279sto.com[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I like this idea, though I feel like it would best fit the combination mini faction/rep system/adventure zone the romulans were crammed into, plus maybe an added emphasis on GPL in the place of other currencies. It'd be cool if there was some demand for it in game. Just an idea, though.

But instead of just being a faction from start, why not let anyone from any faction opt out of allegiance and instead become a civvie. Throw in that alien vessel I posted in the "ships you'd like to see" thread that was like 8 different races' warship in voyager and ent, and then a couple of freighters like the one I recommended, and that'd be a lot of fun.

Otherwise, I agree with the majority of votes here. A cardassian/domion front. As per my sig, the stage is already set for an expedition into the gamma quadrant, even if it's just given the Gamma Orionis treatment of a transwarp to a single sector block + exploration cluster.

SOI shows that the iconians are hesitant about engaging the dominion, their military might being what it is. the 2800 is a good, recent course of events for us to have established a cordial, working relationship with the Dominion upon.

I think a good season would involve a single player campaign where Red and Blue send envoy task forces of flagships (ie c-store ships we haven't seen much in game yet, armitage, avenger, vesta, mogh,etc) a-la task force omega into the Gamma Quadrant, which the player's ship is a part of, hoping to make contact and form a coalition with the dominion. Spend a few missions dealing with the Karemma, the Dosi, whoever, trying to find the dominion, and recruit them for an offensive against the Iconians. The Dominion could form a special task force or something that would accompany Red and Blue forces back to Alpha and Beta quads, this could be the playable allied dominion faction-- coalition troops on loan from the founders.

Meanwhile, introduce a Cardassian faction. If the Romulans have jurisdiction over the Tau Dewa gateway, then the Cardassians, being the dominant force in the Alpha Quadrant, would probably want a say-so in all this traffic through the wormhole, even if Bajor is fed now, after all, it's still their back yard the ships would be coming out of the wormhole into. So cardassians and allied leftover, or cardassian created, alpha jems can join Red and Blue as part of the coalition force, or as military observers like that Romulan that worked on the Defiant to oversee the cloaking device.

This way you get a mini faction with the same cardassian/dominion mix as the True-way, which means that much less of a workload on the devs.
  • xsupersnailxxsupersnailx Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Terran Empire