test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Spoilers Inside] The Enemy of the Voth

xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
So, this contains spoilers regarding the story progression for the Dyson Reputation T5.

First of all, we don't get a true mission yet again - no, I don't consider flying across the allied zone a mission.
It's a cutscene, but a rather good one.

And what stands out for me is the question, which force had battled the Voth to the rim of their own home system?
All we see are green energy weapons. They look like disruptors, not like plasma based (in ingame terms), so it may not be Borg (my first guess).

Ideas?

Oh and... why isn't Nelen Exil telling me? I took him on my ship... he doesn't seem to be big on gratitude. :P
Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
latest?cb=20130715204749
Buy gold!
Post edited by xiaoping88 on

Comments

• hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    In STO, the Borg use plasma weapons with the appearance of disruptors. So it could be them, or another Delta Quadrant species that no doubt will be the focus of Season 9. :P
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    its going to be whatever that mystery planet in sphere of influence alluded to
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    In STO, the Borg use plasma weapons with the appearance of disruptors. So it could be them, or another Delta Quadrant species that no doubt will be the focus of Season 9. :P

Nope, Borg beams look different. Another hue of green.

@rylanadionysis: Mystery planet? There was Earth, Quo'Nos, Mol'Rihan, the Dominion planet with the gateway... Iconia... Quarra... did I miss anything?
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Might be the Krenim. But their tech was dark blue, but we didn't see much of it, so it could've changed.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
    edited December 2013
    Might be the Krenim. But their tech was dark blue, but we didn't see much of it, so it could've changed.

Green seems to be the new color for the bad boys, hm?
    Borg, Tal Shiar, Elachi, some Voth stuff... maybe our new enigmatic, Voth bashing foe...
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Its probably gonna be some other advanced species that only got one less than memorable episode in Voyager.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Nope, Borg beams look different. Another hue of green.

@rylanadionysis: Mystery planet? There was Earth, Quo'Nos, Mol'Rihan, the Dominion planet with the gateway... Iconia... Quarra... did I miss anything?
    I'm pretty sure he's talking about Quarra. It's basically Defera part 2.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited December 2013
    I hope those guys are somewhat advanced.
    I don't like how the tech level of the Voth was presented so far.
    They should have more advanced science and technology then that.
    If some random Voyager species bashed them, I will be disappointed.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited December 2013
    I'm pretty sure he's talking about Quarra. It's basically Defera part 2.

You guys do realize that Quarra is a canon world? It's the planet from "Workforce".
    Just saying. Not implying you don't know it, but it sounds like it to me? :confused:

Oh, and if the Voth are at war with the Quarren... to hell with that.
    From everything I would extrapolate from the episodes, a Voth City ship could wipe the floor with their entire civilization.
    They have Federation level technology minus a well working replicator-based industry... the Voth on the other hand should be hyper-advanced in comparison.

Should...
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited December 2013
    Upon closer inspection of the green beams being fired upon Voth ships in the cutscenes and Borg plasma beams, they both look AND sound identical.

Borg plasma beam (State of Q)

Plasma beam from cutscene (zoomed)
    edited December 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    Upon closer inspection of the green beams being fired upon Voth ships in the cutscenes and Borg plasma beams, they both look AND sound identical.

Borg plasma beam (State of Q)

Plasma beam from cutsene

Funny, Borg plasma beams look different on my screen. I catch I screenshot if I can, so we may compare.

But don't get me wrong. I certainly would hope it IS the Borg.
    The Borg are a force I can imagine driving the Voth close to extinction.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Voth being in a back-against-the-wall fight for survival could lead to a drop in technology level. As the cool toys get broken in the battle, they rush newer and less sophisticated ships to the front to hold the line.

Just a speculation.

And my guess is the Vaadwaur.... back and on a rampage using *plot device* and *plot device* gained from *redacted*. We'll see. ;)
    edited December 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    The Voth being in a back-against-the-wall fight for survival could lead to a drop in technology level. As the cool toys get broken in the battle, they rush newer and less sophisticated ships to the front to hold the line.

Just a speculation.

And my guess is the Vaadwaur.... back and on a rampage using *plot device* and *plot device* gained from *redacted*. We'll see. ;)

As cool as the Vaadwaur are... they are few. I would't want them to be able to fight to Voth on that scale.
    A 20 million year old Empire against the survivors from a beaten species...

I like the above explanation for the lack of Voth technological superiority in the Dyson Sphere, though. My personal head canon is, that the Sphere interferes with higher functions of Voth technology, but those two things can be combined.

But the questions remains who brought the Voth almost at their knees by now.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Didn't the guy in the video say something like the enemy was 'trying to make us like them' while showing green beams and plasma torpedoes, or something to that effect?
    edited December 2013
    Didn't the guy in the video say something like the enemy was 'trying to make us like them' while showing green beams and plasma torpedoes, or something to that effect?

You know... that statement made no sense to me before now, with the collective in mind.
    He said "we have enemies which try to add us to their ranks".

Well. I am sold. It's the Borg.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Whomever it is, I really hope it's not cliche like it has been with the stories so far.

I would be inclined to think it's the Borg, but there still too many unknowns with the Borg yet explained. Cryptic is really chopping up storylines that it's bad storytelling.
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It definently sounds like the Borg. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that in this game, the Borg as creations of the Iconians. I know that the Borg have many different origin stories spread across novels and other games so why can't STO make their own?
    y1arXbh.png

edited December 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAmVk0TL1Q8#t=108

1:48
    edited December 2013
    sle1989 wrote: »
    It definently sounds like the Borg. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that in this game, the Borg as creations of the Iconians. I know that the Borg have many different origin stories spread across novels and other games so why can't STO make their own?

I rather have the impression that the Borg (along with the Tholians) are preparing for the arrival of the Iconians. There are hints. Both species are desperatly trying to get new technology (Iconian, Dewan, Undine), and both species became far more aggressive then they're used to be.

If the Borg are trying to assimilate the entire Voth civilization, I can very well see that happening in preparation for the Iconians. The Borg assimilated so many people that they must have a hint of what is coming.

Oh, and here is the exact quote from the T2 cutscene:

Nelen Exil: "The Voth are not warmongers. We have taught Doctrine to weaker species, but weapons are usually not required. When the Voth have encountered opposition, we have resisted attemps by others to add us to their own ranks. Fights between evenly matched adversaries tend to be futile. A Sphere might convince some that the odds have shifted in our favour.".
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited December 2013
    I came up with the following for a tabletop game awhile back, and expanded it to fit STO as the story unfolded in game. I made a couple minor updates, and here it is. Note that this is "head canon" and only one of many many possible story-ideas! :)

The Preserver were the first of their kind in the galaxy. A particular type of humanoid... in fact THE archtype. There were other types of life and civilizations, but none like them. SO they undertook a great project to create more... like themselves.

As the years rolled on and the Preservers declined, the life they created started making empires in the stars. Gradually two opposing points of view came into contact... one was regarded as mighty beyond measure... able to move entire stars at a whim. The other, regarded as foul demons of air and darkness.

They fought... and over the course of the war the Tkon empire lost it's heartworlds to a supernova. In retaliation, Iconia was bombarded to a cinder.

Today, many relics of this titanic battle can be found around the galaxy. Planet-Killers, gateways, rapidly adapting cybernetic lifeforms, angry/bitter lifeforms that do not trust solid-life, beings that chose to isolate themselves from the galaxy in a fluid-filled pocket.

The Federation And Friends are dealing with the fallout of this war... which is now about to flare up again. The Iconians have regrouped... and they want what they had previously. The Borg are preparing to fight them. The Founders know better than to get involved again, and 8472 just wants to stay out of the way.

Without the Tkon in the picture it seems as if the Iconians are going to marshal their forces and just roll over everyone. Including the Borg which were the first line of defense previously. All the other ancient players are either gone, or are not playing this time around for whatever reason. The Federation is really the only player on the field, and the Iconians realize that... hence one war-front after another. But yet somehow the Feds hang on.

Eventually the Iconians are going to stage a return... Right now, they still fear the Borg, even though they have perfected their computer-scrambling virus-spheres... once the Borg are weakened sufficiently... and the Federation is in pieces they will show themselves as the true masters of the galaxy.

That is unless the Federation causes them to play their hand earlier than anticipated.

---

I wish STO would put some thought into the actual STORY rather than taking the approach they are now. I don't log on to spin slot-machines, I log in to play a game and hear a story. Very frustrating.
    edited December 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    I came up with the following for a tabletop game awhile back, and expanded it to fit STO as the story unfolded in game. I made a couple minor updates, and here it is. Note that this is "head canon" and only one of many many possible story-ideas! :)

The Preserver were the first of their kind in the galaxy. A particular type of humanoid... in fact THE archtype. There were other types of life and civilizations, but none like them. SO they undertook a great project to create more... like themselves.

As the years rolled on and the Preservers declined, the life they created started making empires in the stars. Gradually two opposing points of view came into contact... one was regarded as mighty beyond measure... able to move entire stars at a whim. The other, regarded as foul demons of air and darkness.

They fought... and over the course of the war the Tkon empire lost it's heartworlds to a supernova. In retaliation, Iconia was bombarded to a cinder.

Today, many relics of this titanic battle can be found around the galaxy. Planet-Killers, gateways, rapidly adapting cybernetic lifeforms, angry/bitter lifeforms that do not trust solid-life, beings that chose to isolate themselves from the galaxy in a fluid-filled pocket.

The Federation And Friends are dealing with the fallout of this war... which is now about to flare up again. The Iconians have regrouped... and they want what they had previously. The Borg are preparing to fight them. The Founders know better than to get involved again, and 8472 just wants to stay out of the way.

Without the Tkon in the picture it seems as if the Iconians are going to marshal their forces and just roll over everyone. Including the Borg which were the first line of defense previously. All the other ancient players are either gone, or are not playing this time around for whatever reason. The Federation is really the only player on the field, and the Iconians realize that... hence one war-front after another. But yet somehow the Feds hang on.

Eventually the Iconians are going to stage a return... Right now, they still fear the Borg, even though they have perfected their computer-scrambling virus-spheres... once the Borg are weakened sufficiently... and the Federation is in pieces they will show themselves as the true masters of the galaxy.

That is unless the Federation causes them to play their hand earlier than anticipated.

---

I wish STO would put some thought into the actual STORY rather than taking the approach they are now. I don't log on to spin slot-machines, I log in to play a game and hear a story. Very frustrating.

That sounds rather cool.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I suggested something similar before.

A thing to keep in mind is that the Iconians' big weapon was a computer virus that could terminate any machine.

My pet theory is that the Borg began as machines, not organics. Probably related to the machine life that upgraded V'ger.

And they began assimilating organic components in an attempt to borrow organics' immunity to the Iconian virus.

The faulty assumption with the Borg IMHO is that they began as organics that strapped on technology. I've seen that take in books and games. It's not very interesting and doesn't resonate for me. I see them as machines that began strapping on flesh. I think what they did with Data in First Contact is how they began (and it explains WHY they'd strap flesh on an android).

Flesh has advantages their machine life doesn't. So they're searching the galaxy for the right flesh to strap on or dissect/analyze to counter the Iconian virus so that they can become perfect (ie. resistant to the virus). They're running around treating flesh the way we might treat rare plants in the jungle.

Once they figure out how to adapt what makes flesh immune to the Iconian virus, they won't need flesh implants anymore.
  • edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The faulty assumption with the Borg IMHO is that they began as organics that strapped on technology. I've seen that take in books and games. It's not very interesting and doesn't resonate for me. I see them as machines that began strapping on flesh.

Twenty years of the Borg and I've never thought of this simple, yet awesome idea. Mind blown...
    edited December 2013
    Twenty years of the Borg and I've never thought of this simple, yet awesome idea. Mind blown...

Me neither. And it kinda makes more sense than other takes on their origins.
    edited December 2013
    Mind blown as well. Kudos for that idea, Imma adapt to our tabletop canon somehow.
  • tyrfalgertyrfalger Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Gotta be the Borg. If its not?that would be so dumb if they put in some random species that appeared in one episode.

1. That dev post somewhere stated the Borg might have a return/larger role, IIRC.

2. Both Voth and Borg have transwarp tech and (I assume Voth) have control of a lot of territory, so it is inevitable they would encounter one another.

3. Cutscene weapons fire implies Borg; dialogue also. I mean,
    The Voth are not warmongers. We have taught Doctrine to weaker species, but weapons are usually not required. When the Voth have encountered opposition, we have resisted attempts by others to add us to their own ranks. Fights between evenly matched adversaries tend to be futile. A Sphere might convince some that the odds have shifted in our favor.
    just screams Borg.
  • kikanasskikanass Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's the Sphere builders from Stra Trek Enterprise. LOL jk p :)
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    THIS is what confused me from teh beginning of season 8....

WHY THE VOTH? It was always the BORG that were seeking Omega because you know... Omega was their god... "perfection." thanks to a certain Voyager Episode...

The Borg make SO much more sense invading the frikkin sphere....
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Cool concept. Plus if you go back to their first appearances in TNG, they did not assimilate organic life. Instead they raised young in tanks al la the Matrix and their main interest was alien technology.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Cool concept. Plus if you go back to their first appearances in TNG, they did not assimilate organic life. Instead they raised young in tanks al la the Matrix and their main interest was alien technology.

Had the Borg stayed like they were presented in "Q Who" I'd agree (also since I prefer that version of them) however, the Borg Queen in First Contact mentions that they started out like most other species:
    Borg Queen: Human! We used to be exactly like them. Flawed. Weak. Organic. But we evolved to include the synthetic. Now we use both to attain perfection. Your goal should be the same as ours.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"