What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 9: What Do We Want or Not Want?

Comments

• Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    No more adventure zones please They are all the same. How about Season 9: Strange New Worlds? Have the 2 1/2 in game factions compete for first contact with new worlds and civilizations on the other side of the Iconian gateway.
    No thanks, the adventure zones are awesome, even if you don't think they are. There will be more adventure zones anyway, so you should accept it.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ST: Revenge of the Kazon? :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    How about a fully fleshed out exploration and discovery system that was talked about for the past four years?

This this this this this.
    <3
  • Options
    aveimperatoraveimperator Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ST: Revenge of the Kazon? :D

I don't see how they can throw rocks far enough to actually hit my ship, so...no
  • Options
    lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    But that's in Star wars....
    Yees... but so is a rebel group with 'Republic' in the name (and that at one point was headquartered out of a flotilla) battling against an empire.;)
  • Options
    timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited December 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Combination KDF/Bugfix season. Because one season cycle spent filling out the poor areas of the game won't outright kill it, especially if it's done on the tail of, say, another big moneymaking expansion that can provide the capital to survive on in the meantime.

My Season 9 would be content-light, but the tradeoff is increased stability and a fleshing out of areas in which the KDF presently lacks, two things this game needs just as badly as story content. Additionally, art assets would be a minor focus, also primarily KDF-oriented. As buxfixes are pretty self-explanatory, I'll move on to highlighting what I'd like to see added alongside them.

Season 9's most notable KDF additions would be largely in the character creation department, with fixes on existing outfits such as that one borked Orion shoulder pad the Honor Guard Be'ves option. New additions would include a new free KDF uniform, new hairstyles for Klingons and Nausicaans, female Nausicaans and Letheans, and a major art upgrade to Nausicaans and Letheans in general to look more like their show counterparts. Upgrades to the various existing KDF uniforms would be done as well, but these would be relatively low-key. A new Klingon ridge option would also be added.

Another large addition would be to the KDF's C-store lineup. Specifically, two ship three-packs. The first, to come with the launch, would be a 5/2 BoP with three variants to go up against the Kumari (perhaps with its own version of the Gradius-y wing cannons?).

The second three-pack would come later after launch. It would be an alien variety pack including; an Orion vessel, Eng-oriented with a Tac favor; a Gorn vessel, Sci-oriented with a Tac favor; and a Nausicaan vessel, Tac-oriented with an Eng favor. Not necessarily as shown in the link, but that's the gist of it.

Finally, to give environment artists something to do, a new bridge for each KDF allied-race ship would be created. These would be locked to the ships in the three-pack (sucks, but there's gotta be an extra carrot to make otherwise poor-selling ships sells, y'know?), but once unlocked, could be used on any ship from their respective races.

If a mission were to be included, it would be KDF-locked. The mission wouldn't add much to the storyline, but would instead serve as a vehicle to make use of some of the new art assets being created for this season. I really can't think of a plot right off hand but obviously it would be political in nature, dealing with maintaining the alliances.

Qapla'.

A season dedicated to Klingons and no other factions? Heh. Would be nice, but it ain't gonna happen. Best we can hope for is to be an afterthought after the main event (see: LoR).
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't see how they can throw rocks far enough to actually hit my ship, so...no
    [Dual Heavy Basalt Launcher [Acc]*3]

:P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I hope the development team are reading this. Some great ideas.

Looking at this thread, it seems like the things most of us really want to see next (me, too) are loads of exploration, the Foundry given the little extra it needs to make it a star attraction, and the bugs and little niggles fixed - but without too many people losing interest because there's no new content.

I've actually been roughing out an idea for how all those things could be combined, based on giving Foundry missions a new and more central role in the game so that they become the "new content". It's a bit long to post here so I've started a new topic.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=13890651
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Here's my idea:

Set "Season 9" up as three big "Episodes". "Episode" 1 introduces 2 new FEs and in-depth RP first contact missions in star clusters and such. "Episode" 2 introduces some updated Klingon starships (because let's face it, the bortas'qu royally sucks and even with flanking BOPs are underpowered in pvp) and 2 more FEs, and "Episode" 3 has 2 more FEs and a giant bug fix/overhaul. Have them come out 10 days apart for a month-long bonanza.

Plotline of the FEs: Temporal Cold War OR Just Give Us The Freaking Iconians To Shoot.

My personal favorite, Just Give Us The Freaking Iconians To Shoot, is as follows:

FE1: The Hur'q and Elachi, backed by Iconian technology, launch a devastating surprise attack on Earth and Qo'nos. Two-thirds of the command staff of Starfleet and the KDF is killed in under an hour. The player, on a routine mission to supply a colony, gets attacked by a "hit team" of Hur'q starships. After defeating them, the player receives a hail from either Worf (for KDF players and KDF rommies) or Data (for Fed toons and fed rommies), requesting that they head to some Neutral Zone system at once.

FE2: The Klingons and Starfleet have a war meeting in the Neutral Zone to discuss the Hur'q attack and the inevitable Iconian invasion. Elachi starships discover the supposedly secret facility, and the player must prevent them from abducting and subsuming Klingon, Romulan, and Federation personnel.

FE3 (after ten days of players going crazy): Data recovered by the player from an Elachi dreadnought disabled during the battle in FE2 suggests that Empress Sela escaped subsumption and is hiding somewhere in subspace. The player has to enter subspace, dodging Hur'q, Elachi, and Iconian patrols, and somehow find the only person who knows the Iconian master plan.

FE4: The player is sent on a mission to investigate an Iconian gateway on a remote planet, while Starfleet and KDF command figure out what to do with Sela's knowledge. When they get there, they find that the Iconians are moving up the invasion schedule--and get their first sighting of an Iconian, who promptly wipes the floor with them until the player comes up with a brilliant plan to kill him. Make the Iconian hammy, like Anubis from Stargate.

FE5 (after ten more days of pants-wetting excitement): The Iconians invade with their full force, but the Klingon-Federation Alliance has destroyed most of their gateways, bottlenecking them at a gateway site near Saturn. Epic battle, with some voice acting. I suggest Brent Spiner and Sir Patrick Stewart, if possible.

FE6: The player heads into subspace with an alliance battle fleet, ready to take the fight to the Iconians once and for all. Have a nice, hammy Iconian supreme leader--I suggest a ridiculously long name/title such as "Grand Supreme High Emperor Inevitable Fate of the Inconquerable Sword of Invincible Wrath, He who is Inevitably Fated for Unstoppable Greatness". The point being to make the players loathe every fiber of this guy's being, even his name. Have Jim Cummings or that guy who voiced Sarevok in Baldur's Gate be the Iconian supreme leader. His every sentence should be twice as long as necessary and punctuated with evil laughter.

Rewards for arc completion: I have no idea. Maybe a ship version of the Shard of Possibilities?

Plot outcomes of the story: Gets rid of the Fed-Klingon war that most players are sick of by now. Allows the game to be turned more towards exploration and furthering peace (although in the Trek universe, you're lucky if exploration is ever really peaceful).

RW outcomes of this idea: Something like this has, to my knowledge, never been done before. Instant publicity. C-store or lobi store Iconian ships would sell like hot cakes. Doing something big and epic like this is likely to rake in the cash. Sell a fifty-buck "Iconian Invasion Invader's Pack" would probably be a good financial move as well.

My 2 slips of latinum.
    worffan101
  • Options
    sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My vote is for; The Return of the Evul Klingen Empire
    /Floozy
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    No more adventure zones, they're awful.

Ship interiors. Empty planets like defera bajor andoria vulcan etc. Fix patrols and first contacts. Fix crafting. And for god's sake, how about an episode series that's not six episodes long like breen/borg/undine or that abomination amalgamation of fetch quests, sphere. More campaigns with content level of cardassian struggle/romulan mystery. Fix the tailor.

And no more stupid subspace gates when we still have a canonically established wormhole on the other side of which is a race the iconians told us they couldn't take in a fight right now. We need to go get the dominion and forge an alliance before we take the fight through the gateway.

This. This is smart. We could even have Odo's voice.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    voporak wrote: »
    I agree totally. There's only one problem.

PWE sees numbers. If they don't see enough $$ numbers, they aren't happy (bad things will happen to Cryptic if they aren't happy). Fixes, as much as we all like them, don't make money.

However, someone at Cryptic should just tell PWE, "Look. For the past few season we've made a lot of new content that made money. I think we've got enough revenue from that to justify working on a quality of life season. It would not only make the players happier and more inclined to spend money, but would make the game look better and more appealing overall. In the short term it might cost a little, yes, but in the long term it will be advantageous."

This + 10. A bugged game can drive away players.

Also, we need some work done on the Bortas cruisers, because this is getting ridiculous.
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    season 9 should be a end the war storyline... preferable with as many shout out to undiscovered country as possible. and a formal apology from starfleet for not helping with the whole gorn hegemony is full of undine infiltrator thing. which is somewhat ooc for them feds love to meddle... I mean help.

it could start with talks about a treaty your asked to help security. while finding and covering some holes in the security you seen one of the representative from the other faction is undine, framed for trying to assassinate the representative. your sent to facility 4028 if klingon. rura penthe if fed.

things happen your ship shows up and breaks you out. franklin drake shows up saying he's found some people are being held by the undine. you stop by omega force picking up a few modded nanoprobe torpedos then break out the prisoners. stop the plot. finish the treaty.

sorry about the post typing in a rush. wanted to get the idea down before I forget any more of it. I hate getting ideas just before you get to sleep.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    sonnikku wrote: »
    It has already been foretold.

SHARKNADO

No, it shall be the SNAILQUAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!!!!
    http://whatever.scalzi.com/2013/06/20/for-future-reference-snailquake-art/

:P;)
  • Options
    chewbacca41chewbacca41 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Another idea I had was to turn the Regulus Block into a Klingon/Federation war zone. It would be similar to Kerrat, but on a larger scale.

Each side having a command base, the other planets being divided into Fed, Klingon, and contested planets. Players could approach a planet and join a space or ground combat. Each side would be given an objective and the side to complete the objective would be rewarded.

On Fed planets the Feds would defend and Klingons attack, and vice-versa. On contested worlds both sides would be given the same objective making it a Capture the flag style match.
  • Options
    mercuriciodidemercuriciodide Member Posts: 342
    edited December 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    I could give you over fifty reasons why this would be a bad idea. I'll just throw out one.

"You get what you pay for."
    Many successful companies use recent college grads, including those who finished graduate school, as interns. It's difficult to get a job without having done at least one. Someone who wants to break into the gaming industry is likely to have to do an internship in order to get experience to put on the resume,

And, there are talented people who are willing to work on projects, such as people who aren't rich and have health problems who can't move to California to work in the industry. Some of them play MMOs to kill time but could be developing and testing.

The idea that the quality of an employee is determined by how much they're paid is disproven many times. A lot of failing CEOs get millions in golden parachute pay for doing a poor job, for instance.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Season 9 should be devoted entirely to a PvP rework, so we can get our testers back and not have another repeat of Season 8 and the current(ly terribly borked) Winter Wonderland. :P
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    wombat140 wrote: »
    the Foundry given the little extra it needs to make it a star attraction
    The Foundry needs a lot of improvement. It's still really limited.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Open up more sectors of space showing more worlds that is in Fed space. Fill out those areas more. There is all kinds of new stuff can be done there. I hadn't been inside the sphere yet. Can you go outside? What about that section of space. All new to be explored. What about the areas around Romulan and Klingon space. You can add sectors there and show more home worlds.

I'm all for that. How about more on 8472 "Undine" on their story. What about the Remans on new Romulas. Say they found a new threat underground while they been building. The sky is the limit.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Foundry needs a lot of improvement. It's still really limited.

I agree, but it's not going to happen, it won't sell unless you want timers, more optional objectives, and more complex objectives in lockboxes.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    thetwitcher2000thetwitcher2000 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think it would be good if based on the mirror universe (a terran attack on earth maybe?).
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well I would love to see some factional development. Maybe going from 2.5 factions to 3 factions. With this developing the war story line which is in desperate need of much love.

The wars fire needs some fuel throwing on it big time!
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    timezarg wrote: »
    A season dedicated to Klingons and no other factions? Heh. Would be nice, but it ain't gonna happen. Best we can hope for is to be an afterthought after the main event (see: LoR).

Well, half a season dedicated to Klingons. The intention for my Season 9 in that example was mostly "While the bug-squashing guys do their job, the artists sitting around doing nothing may as well use that time to fill in some old gaps". The only really major addition would be the ship three-packs.
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Rescuing the Defiant that the Tholians captured crews by Capt Strahl and his staff.You get T5 and 3 TOS Const.

sort of like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSSDqXGCREw
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    To be honest, I go with the flow.

If there is something to complain about ... like Dinosaurs ... then yeah, I will.

If there is something good, I won't.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Do away with the 'starring' system where trolls dictate what to play and what not. Allow authors to remove negative commentary the same way blog authors are able to. It's their mission, don't let the lowest common denominator one-star a mission without putting any input. Put these in the star clusters so people won't know who wrote them, but have someone on Cryptic's end moderate every single mission put in there.

In other words you want it set up so that any idiot can write a garbage mission and silence people who try to warn others that its garbage. What you are asking for is literally the ability to rig and exploit the entire rating system
    The game Battlefield, the game DICE company in question announced that all DLCs is on hold, until they fixed all the major problems that game is having. If they can do it, so can anyone else within reason.

Then either they will be on hold for a very very long time, or they're not going to fix much of anything, roll out a quick patch and say they're done with it. and don't say 'if they can do it so can everyone else' that isn't how things actually work.
    No more adventure zones, they're awful.

This
    If they do finish the Iconian storyline, they'd almost have to introduce new enemies,

Finish it? They have barely even acknowledge its existence for years. I very much doubt they'll be finishing it anytime soon. Frankly I doubt it'll happen during this decade
    Season 9 should be dedicated entirely to polishing the game. They need to fix graphical anomalies, smooth out animation transitions, make the game more responsive, squash gameplay bugs, and improve general quality of life. After that, they can use this new polished foundation to move forward and create content.

No. If they waste an entire season doing that they will get nothing at all fixed. Companies have tried that before and its never ended well. They just end up breaking a ton of things that weren't broken before they started and introduce a bunch of new problems, while delivering absolutely nothing of value. a season like that will see a large portion of the playerbase leave pretty quickly
    I'd love to be at earth spacedock, pull up the map, double click DS9 and it sets in auto piolet and goes. No loading screens, no asking me if I want to warp, just break down the walls and build a full galaxy map. No more entering systems or having to go to every indecidual sector, just make it one massive map with all the planets and players in one huge map. WoW did it, sto could too. I really like Evea galaxy map setup, they should revamp it to something like that.

First off, 'wow did it so x game can too' isn't a valid argument. we're talking about two very different engines. second, wow didn't do that. what wow did is what UO does and what TOR does planetside - split different sections of the world to different server clusters with small load times and load them as the player moves through the world. it won't happen here. take a look at how laggy this game is now even with all the load screens. you think its bad now? wait till something like that is implemented.
    bug fixing seasons are a sign the game is nearing the end of its life. That means there isn't much money expected to come in. That means there isn't any interest in generating additional revenue.

this. when things like this start happening it means that either the game has officially gone into maintenance mode, or that someone has screwed up things so badly that the game has become to unstable to expand on, which is little better
    1. Customizable ship interior, including the ability to set a common uniform design and choose what people show up at the various stations -- especially on the bridge. The ability to customize the appearance of the people who show up on the bridge and at the key stations is needed.

no its not needed. it was never needed and will never be needed. there is no reason to put the time, effort and money into doing something like that when interiors have zero purpose and i'm quite willing to bet, never will
    8. Create a first-look testing server for lifetime members only and reward them with a unique ship (such as a golden T5+ Connie) if they complete a lot of testing and feedback. Make the server content NDA, but the ship playable on Holodeck for one character per account (character bound). I think this is a good idea that would help to sell lifetime subscriptions.

it wouldn't help sell anything, but it would be an incredibly ignorant and offensive way to treat your playerbase. and enough about the T5 connie. its not going to happen. you've been told this repeatedly.
    Free interns aren't hard to find. People who want to build up an experience portfolio could work on this.

you want free (in other words, just out of school, completely unqualified to work on something this complicated) interns...interns of all people....to work on fixing all the problems the game has? tell me you aren't THAT foolish. that would be a major disaster waiting to happen, to say nothing of making cryptic the laughing stock of the mmo world.
    A bug fix season isn't maintenance mode

yes it is. ask anyone who has ever worked in the mmo industry
    Let's just add say... a hostile hampster species with funny looking ships...

Boo will be pleased.
    No thanks, the adventure zones are awesome, even if you don't think they are.

no, they're not. they're pointless, buggy wastes of time and resources to develop and have zero gameplay value.
    There will be more adventure zones anyway, so you should accept it.

do not tell people what they should accept. especially when its something as pointless as those zones
    Many successful companies use recent college grads, including those who finished graduate school, as interns. It's difficult to get a job without having done at least one. Someone who wants to break into the gaming industry is likely to have to do an internship in order to get experience to put on the resume,

nobody, anywhere, under any circumstances whatsoever, is going to put a bunch of recent, inexperienced, undertrained college grads to do any kind of 'bugfixing' on something as complex as an mmo. thats just mental
    The idea that the quality of an employee is determined by how much they're paid is disproven many times.

no, but it has been proven repeatedly. the saying 'you get what you pay for' exists for a reason. there is a very strong correlation between the amount a person is making and the quality of their work
    A lot of failing CEOs get millions in golden parachute pay for doing a poor job, for instance.

apples and oranges. CEOs have nothing to do with development. they are not programmers. they produce nothing of substance. they just tell people what to do

What does season 9 really need? lets start with a large meteor to come down and cause an extinction of those dinosaurs they added to the game. one of the stupidest things an mmo developer has ever implemented
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think they're going to use the Krenim for Season 9, but only for their time travel, so they can go back in time and fix all of their bad decisions in developing their three games...

Seriously though, i do feel that they really do need to just put in the time and effort to go back through the game and give it a quality of life pass. I'd even posted this idea as a thread shortly after season 8 launched. Personally, there are way too many things going wrong with this game, too many bugs, too many outdated systems thanks to adding without updating. There are even things dating back to beta and launch that really should have been updated or fixed. Even visually there are plenty of things that need to be updated, but instead of doing that, they do simple one day projects like updating the Lcars instead of fixing character skins or adding better (or more accurate) detail to ships.

They've really been taking the laziest path in game developing, and it really shows in the quality of the game. More so when they start working on new projects. I think now would be the best time to go back and fix so many older issues instead of just trying to toss half finished content at us which would only add new issues.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    Well I would love to see some factional development. Maybe going from 2.5 factions to 3 factions. With this developing the war story line which is in desperate need of much love.

The wars fire needs some fuel throwing on it big time!
    Star Trek isn't just about war, though.

The problem is that exploration and such is difficult to develop. It's a lot easier to do something like Starbase 24.
  • Options
    gigaman123gigaman123 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I was thinking about Season 9 and have a few thoughts.

1. I think they should have a daily mission in the Gamma Orionis Block like what they have for the Tua Dewa, for Omega marks.

2. There are several sector blocks they barely use I think they should expand them by putting an adventure zone in one of them. Maybe a hidrogen in Iota Pavonis or A Hur'q(from Sword of Kahless DS9) invasion.

3. I think they should do a space zone. I like what they did for the Voth, but I think they could do better.

Thanks
    Captain lacy
    I personally think that they should add in the Xindi, and open a way to the delta quadrant as well as a new episode series for admirals about the Iconion threat.
    Veteran of STO, had it for 5 years. Unfortunately, my Original account is gone.

"Make it so" - Captain Picard

Build I am working for my Federation, Klingon, and Romulans.