What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Still cannot get past "Cryptic" Loading sequence

2»

Comments

• xynoxxxynoxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    terrafuria wrote: »
    I really do think if you have nothing constructive to share then don't post. I have been watching similar threads with interest and what you have been sharing is no help to anyone.

If you have something constructive to share then share, but so far all the posts you have made are not relavant to the thread and when others have shared information about the problem that Cryptic has admitted you dismiss it and follow your own tangent.

Please do everyone a favour and be helpfull and constructive or not post.

Sorry, but your reiteration of the same subject is getting boring now.

Not relevant?
    The person who started this thread also started this one
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=924041
    Asking for the server to be rolled back because his system can't connect anymore, and in this thread he finally posted his system specs, and oh look, they're well below minimum.

He wants thousands of players to lose hundreds of thousands of hours of work, so he can get back in the game on his machine that never met the MINIMUM system requirements for the game.

That's highly relevant.
    edited November 2013
    captinwh0 wrote: »
    so, you just skirt past the fact that there are 1000 of us with isues and there were loads of us locked out. and you also forget that these cards worked before and should do again.

and i repeat the "minnumum requirements" is the suggested for the medium setting. there are ppl in game now with 512mb cards

like others have said, if you have nothing constructive to say, dont say it.

your comments are demoralising and destructive. those are the actions of a troll sir. if you continue i shall have you labeled as one

You can repeat it all you like, but it's funny how the actual requirements doesn't say anything at all about that being what you need for "medium settings"

Minimum requirements has one meaning in gaming, it's the minimum you need to be able to play the game normally on the lowest settings.

Here's the link again, funny how there's no mention at all of "medium settings."
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=560461

It might be demoralizing to be told your machine doesn't met spec, but he already knew that and he still called for everyone else to be ****ed over with a server rollback so he could continue to play on his below minimum system.

What's more destructive, blowing away hundreds of thousands of play hours of game work, drops, box loot etc, for thousands of players, or calling one spoiled selfish TRIBBLE on the unreasonableness of his request and telling him to get a machine that at least meets the minimum spec published 4 years ago, which has not gone DOWN with 7 major updates?
    edited November 2013
    captinwh0 wrote: »
    so, you just skirt past the fact that there are 1000 of us with isues and there were loads of us locked out. and you also forget that these cards worked before and should do again.

and i repeat the "minnumum requirements" is the suggested for the medium setting. there are ppl in game now with 512mb cards

If you did any research, even spent the 3 seconds it would take to search in google, you'd know that both the cards mentioned as the minimum spec ARE 512MB cards so of course there are people playing on them.

Ram size is only part of the equation, there's also the speed, the bandwidth and other factors.
    You can buy cards with lots of vram on them that are lower performing than cards with less, because they have a lot of old slow vram and lousy memory bandwidth.

Read some old reviews where they test an x1800 and an x1650 and notice the 1650 is coming in with 1/2 to 2/3rds of the x1800s performance numbers and the x1800 is the listed MINIMUM spec card for STO in 2009.
    edited November 2013
    You'll have to forgive xynoxx. He just doesn't want to admit that his so-called "super-pc" is locked out like everyone else. Instead of giving positive feedback, he sits posting around like it's the fault of people who don;t have grand hardware. If his game were actually working, he wouldn;t be typing books into the forums . . . he'd be playing STO LOL.

Hate to destroy your little theory, but while I have encountered bugs, I've never had a problem logging into the game.
    I'm currently puttering around the sphere (ground battlezone) with my latest admiral, which I started after Season 8, simply because the Obelisk Carrier is meant for Engineers and I didn't have one, having mostly Science ships.

That's a character that Mr. "I want a rollback because my below spec machine can't hack it anymore", wants to delete with a server wide rollback.

My PC, isn't super at all, being an AMD Phenom II - 955 quad core, 4GB ram WinXP SP3, with a new video card I bought this summer, an nVidia 760 - other than the video card, the system is unchanged from 4 years ago when I built it. Parts of it, like the SBLive card, go back well beyond that.
    I saved for several years to afford the parts to upgrade to that system from an Athlon XP and nVidia 6800 card.

Not overclocked, not running beta drivers, not packed with spyware or multiple toolbars or other junk, not running a lot of background apps.
    Just a decent, mid-range, stable machine with an above mid-range video card that's still a couple rungs down from the top..

It does meet all the minimum system requirements for STO, so I have zero trouble logging in and playing. Funny how that works.

You can take consolation in the fact that I do have a bugged character Romulan side, an Alien that has been turned into a Romulan - I even posted a bug report in this forum about it. A bug Cryptic has been ignoring since Season 7 came out.

If you consider any of my posts a "book" you must not read much.

I guess you're part of the tldr; generation.
  • terrafuriaterrafuria Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    xynoxx wrote: »
    Not relevant?

Very relevant. The amount of people who could play before Season 8 who now cannot makes it so. All are not running minimum spec.
    What's more destructive, blowing away hundreds of thousands of play hours of game work, drops, box loot etc, for thousands of players, or calling one spoiled selfish TRIBBLE on the unreasonableness of his request and telling him to get a machine that at least meets the minimum spec published 4 years ago, which has not gone DOWN with 7 major updates?

We all know Cryptic will not do this. not for your personal reasons, but it is poor business sense to look backwards. They will fix "Their fault" and we will all move on.
    If you did any research, even spent the 3 seconds it would take to search in google, you'd know that both the cards mentioned as the minimum spec ARE 512MB cards so of course there are people playing on them.

Dont need to. You have already done this and shared your results with the rest of us. Far to much time on your hands. You need a hobby... Oh wait you have, but you are posting on here and not playing STO.
    I'm currently puttering around the sphere (ground battlezone) with my latest admiral, which I started after Season 8, simply because the Obelisk Carrier is meant for Engineers and I didn't have one, having mostly Science ships.

Really pleased that you are able to play. 1000's of players are unable to get on because there is a fault Cryptic has admitted to, myself included. Hang on latest Admiral you started at the begining of Season 8. Oh my you do have alot of time on your hands.

Still rant over and my apologies for taking so much space up everyone else.
    Lest we forget 18897741
    edited November 2013
    terrafuria wrote: »
    Very relevant. The amount of people who could play before Season 8 who now cannot makes it so. All are not running minimum spec.

Really pleased that you are able to play. 1000's of players are unable to get on because there is a fault Cryptic has admitted to, myself included. Hang on latest Admiral you started at the begining of Season 8. Oh my you do have alot of time on your hands.

Still rant over and my apologies for taking so much space up everyone else.

You're right they aren't all running minimum spec, as this thread has shown at least some of the people having problems are running hardware that doesn't even reach minimum spec.

The thing to remember about the minimum spec, is that was at release - the game has gotten bigger and more resource heavy, so even machines that meet min spec but not much more are going to run into problems as the game grows. Not enough Ram, or vram, or CPU/GPU power to handle the increased load. Heck in some cases the added load increases the actual power consumption of the machine, so if the power supply isn't very good, or is failing, you end up with stalled loads and crashes. Failing fans on the video card, or CPU or in the power supply can also cause problems.

There's loads of possible reasons, but most people complaining about being unable to connect aren't posting their _full_ system specs so the problem area can be identified, just stuff like "I run win7 with 6GB ram" which doesn't help at all. It's like saying "My car won't start, I have Goodyear radials, when the problem is you used blended gas and let it sit for 3 months and it gelled and fouled the fuel injection system."

There's also the attitude that the latest, is automatically the best, that new hardware couldn't be the problem because it's "better".
    Latest video drivers are a case in point, sometime the newer driver is worse, than an older one for anything but the newest games.
    They also drop support for older functions they don't think anyone is using anymore - so if you have a 6+ year old video card, those latest drivers might have removed what let you play STO in the first place. If you have automatic updates enabled, you might not even know it updated.

Does Cryptic have bugs? Hell yes, and they even fix some of them.
    Is whatever bug they're looking at keeping some people offline? Probably.
    Is it guaranteed to be what's keeping YOU offline - NO, so don't pin all your hopes on that bug getting fixed getting you back in STO, because it might not.
    Look at what else it might be.

Bad hardware, bad drivers, virus, spyware, conflicting programs, and auto update changing the settings on something, right down to making sure your ISP isn't doing something that's causing the problem - some games are far more resistant to lag and packet loss than others and some ISPs do filter content and do "traffic shaping" (a fancy term meaning they throttle the hell out of your connection for some kinds of content.)

As for the latest Admiral, it's not like it takes a lot of time to level up doing missions.
    I just log in and play, I don't sit around roleplaying, or gossiping in ESD, or sitting around trying to get a group together, I just go and play. When you don't waste time, you level up fast. If you replay certain missions for specific item drops, you can level up even faster.
  • slayerofbloodslayerofblood Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    At the risk of opening up another can of worms...

I came from jkstocbr's thread Fatal Error: Unable to initialize on-demand patching... where we've pretty much narrowed our problem down to STO S8 not able to run on satellite internet providers.

Just wanted to throw that out there for anyone here who may have a satellite ISP, since it could be a problem of internet speed, not necessarily personal equipment.

For reference:
    Free Account
    Windows 7 64-bit SP1
    DirectX 11
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
    AMD FX(tm)-4130 Quad-Core Processor ~3.8GHz
    8 GB physical RAM, 8 GB virtual
    Wireless Network, Satellite Modem
    WildBlue.net

Everything worked just fine before S8 update, then poof. To rule out my computer being the problem (AKA: below minimum system requirements), I uprooted it and took it someplace with cable, and STO patched & loaded with no problem. Same with Neverwinter.

So...
    FED TAC: Ty'irren Micybos, USS Mistake Not... NX-93023.