test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is the dilithium exchange disabled??

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    Would be nice.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Plasuible. But again we have to consider income that keeps the game running. Also I doubt it would do a lot of the more popular ships. Then we come to the issue of the vanity shield and where to store it when not in use.

Maybe a new hull material instead?

There comes a point though, were you are more concerned with the fix helping keep the game running and it might be worth it to sacrifice some income from lesser areas. Yes, selling T6 ships for Dilithium might take some funds away from T6 ship sales, you’re absolutely right.. but they could lose a lot more if people quit the game out of frustration and the ‘whales’ start to feel that the game is ‘dead.’ When the Whales leave.. that’s when you’re in real trouble.

I think Hull Materials and Vanity shields are great Dilithium Sinks. I am a huge fan of letting people buy cosmetic items with Dilithium, people will spend for space barbie, and it’s a sink that doesn’t effect power creep or punish fleet leaders.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    This has been mentioned before but an account daily limit on refining dil might help a bit. Most players have 3 or fewer characters so a 24K/day per account limit would have no effect on them it would only hurt the farmers.

It would be on refining dil so it wouldn't affect getting fleet dil from KDF admiralty.

My stake: I don't buy or sell dil so the exchange being maxed doesn't really affect me. My dil goes to the fleet projects, Phoenix boxes, and re-engineering.

That again is going to be seen as a punishment by the playerbase and defeats the purpose of creating new toons completely while artificially slowing down progress. supply generation isn't the problem. the problem is there's nowhere for that supply to really go once it's been created. Since there's nowhere to go it just builds and builds and builds until we get this situation. Just like the bathtub example I gave. If the goal is to keep the flow of water on, then there needs to be adequate drainage to maintain a healthy water level. slowing down the flow of water down in a flood doesn't actually solve the flooding if there's nowhere for the excess water to go, it simply slows down the rate of flooding. In this instance there needs to be an adequate drain plug to uncork and there hasn't been.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    That again is going to be seen as a punishment by the playerbase and defeats the purpose of creating new toons completely
    The point of creating new toons is to play the game is a new way. Not to add another dil grinder to your collection.

That's why I do it. I had the tac,eng,sci captains for the original 3 factions and have added the new sub-factions (TOS, Disco, Gamma) and races (Liberated Borg Romulan) and the KDF recruit.

The only time I've done multi-captain grinding was to get fleet dil and marks to finish off our Federation fleet colony holding which is finally done.

That's just me. I don't sell dil so grinding it for zen makes no sense for me.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    The point of creating new toons is... whatever you wish it to be.

It can be playing the game "in a new way" - though, truly... what new way? Some limited captains abilities and some class specific kit modules for ground combat, which is regarded by most of the playerbase as incredibly lackluster? - it can be to farm more dilithium, it can be to have multiple toons with which to contribute to your fleet holding, and so and so on.

Player's agency is a big thing and considering we cannot influence the story in any way, shape or form, creating new toons and space barbie are basically the only things in which player's agency will actually come into play.
    Not to mention that real f2p players needs to convert lots of dilithium if they want to buy ships, bundles, races unlocks, and so forth and so forth.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    edited June 2021

Couldn't have said it better. If you disagree, you're wrong.

It's different for everyone.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

It can be playing the game "in a new way" - though, truly... what new way? Some limited captains abilities and some class specific kit modules for ground combat, which is regarded by most of the playerbase as incredibly lackluster? - it can be to farm more dilithium, it can be to have multiple toons with which to contribute to your fleet holding, and so and so on.

Player's agency is a big thing and considering we cannot influence the story in any way, shape or form, creating new toons and space barbie are basically the only things in which player's agency will actually come into play.
    Not to mention that real f2p players needs to convert lots of dilithium if they want to buy ships, bundles, races unlocks, and so forth and so forth.

I don't know about you, but when it comes to my characters, I find that each one I make, I tend to focus in on a bit differently. Like my non-starfleet, non-jem'hadar characters will use the cloak whenever possible to make the most out of their ships, especially if that character is a tactical or science character, since as a Romulan, you can uncloak, fire your weapons, pop an anomaly or 2 and then hide again, waiting for your timers to reset.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    On xbox our Dilex is still in the range of 200-250... for now.
    Post edited by garaffe on
  • vledger#4479 vledger Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »
    On console our Dilex is still in the range of 200-250... for now.

Between 368 and 373 on Playstation atm.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    As Jenny said, the point of creating new toons is whatever you want to create them for.

There are no rules for creating new toons and your reasons are just as valid as my reasons.

Your fun is just as fun as my fun.

I only use the dilex very rarely to buy zen. Looks like I won't be using it for awhile.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User

I don't know about you, but when it comes to my characters, I find that each one I make, I tend to focus in on a bit differently. Like my non-starfleet, non-jem'hadar characters will use the cloak whenever possible to make the most out of their ships, especially if that character is a tactical or science character, since as a Romulan, you can uncloak, fire your weapons, pop an anomaly or 2 and then hide again, waiting for your timers to reset.

And it's a valid way of playing characters.
    I do that too, for some toons - I also have some that have absolutely nothing to do with Star Trek with which I run around and play.

As @echatty said: your fun is just as fun as my fun. I won't presume to tell you how to play your characters and I expect the same courtesy from everyone else.

That was my point - something that should be applied to every aspect of life, but I digress: just let people play how they want and don't tell them what the point of creating characters should be.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User

I do that too, for some toons - I also have some that have absolutely nothing to do with Star Trek with which I run around and play.

As @echatty said: your fun is just as fun as my fun. I won't presume to tell you how to play your characters and I expect the same courtesy from everyone else.

That was my point - something that should be applied to every aspect of life, but I digress: just let people play how they want and don't tell them what the point of creating characters should be.

Couldn't have said it better myself :)
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D

Same here, none of my characters have the exact same build or gear, no two characters ever fly the same ship.. I make different characters so I can have different types of styles and builds without having to switch up one or two characters all the time.

Yes, I also farm Dilithium on all of them because.. of course I do. But I can honestly say I have never made a character soley to farm dilithium, some people do and that's cool.. just not my thing. I have to have an idea for a character before I actually make one.
  • kaloriaa4kaloriaa4 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    Raising the cap above 500 dil/Zen won't fix the problem. The solution is making dil more valuable.

Right now dilithium is losing value and no point in the 8k refine daily cap unless dilithium is made more valuable.

Prices should have never exceeded above 400dil/Zen. The problem is that Zen is becoming too valuable and leaving dilithium to lose value.

Whats to stop people from making it go to 10,000 dil/Zen? There needs a line in the sand to prevent over inflation and devaluing of dil.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Well, my 35 chars have entire different builds, and i play they the way i like them, some of thew are good at DPS and Science, byt they are not created intentionally as such, i just build them the way i like them.. and rotate them when i feel like it..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    As Jenny said, the point of creating new toons is whatever you want to create them for.

There are no rules for creating new toons and your reasons are just as valid as my reasons.

I only use the dilex very rarely to buy zen. Looks like I won't be using it for awhile.

Technically, no. It's always the same. To create a toon. Unless you can find a reason to create a toon to not create a toon. But in the most immediate sense it's to create a toon. Never changes.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    The real problem is the Zen store greed, making Zen needed in astronomic amounts, while Dil is (thanks to Fleet projects completing being needed in smaller and smaller amounts.

End game Zen ships used to be 30k. Now they come in packs stuffed with filler TRIBBLE for 100k-300k. That's $100-$300 for a ship + (largely unwanted) filler. It takes a LOT of Dil farming to do that, and the whales (and Cryptic) know it.

Now you can spend that kind of cold cash on pixels which will disappear when the game closes (leaving you with zip). And whales do.

But people without that kind of disposable income... play the game for free, collect what Dil they can while so doing, and convert.

Except now, of course, we can't.

Put things back to 1 ship = 3k Zen standalone for all endgame ships, and watch the Dilex normalize. Watch profits go up, too, since volume will skyrocket, and production costs are zero, once the first ship model is produced and programmed. If you can sell 1,000 units for $30, that's 5 times better than selling 20 units for $300. And you've got 50 times as many satisfied customers. And no downside, because every penny on both sides of that argument is profit (once initial design and programming costs are covered). Not counting ongoing game operation costs, as that remains the same regardless of which ship a player is flying, as long as the number of players flying remains constant.

It's true that it's all supply and demand. The real trouble is demand for Zen has been artificially inflated by the Zen store's currently obscenely greedy marketing. Killing F2P will eliminate the people who buy Zen on the Exchange. Which in turn kills Zen for cash sales to people who then SELL Zen on the Exchange. Which reduces overall Zen sales, and thus, money for Cryptic.

They are slowly strangling their own golden goose. I hope they figure that out before it's too late.

If it's not already.

[EDIT: Typo fixed 30k -> 3k. Oops.]
    Post edited by vorwoda on
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »
    The real problem is the Zen store greed, making Zen needed in astronomic amounts, while Dil is (thanks to Fleet projects completing being needed in smaller and smaller amounts.

Spot on.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    Um... you DO know that all C-Store ships that come in bundles are also available as single purchase like normal... right? You don't have to buy the bundle to get the ships. You can just get the one you want like normal.
    I don't count Mudd Store because those were originally lockbox.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • fliporicanfliporican Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    tom61sto wrote: »
    It's not disabled, it's empty. You can make offers still, check the Sell tab for the current backlog for 500Dil/Zen.

I have never seen the Dilex empty ever in my 10 and a half years on this game..

I don't recall the Dil Exchange existing as far back as initial release.
    image.php?name=Sabio&ship=Renaissance&fleet=10th+MACO+Cavalry+Regiment&txtcol=EDE979&fac=fed&spezies=Human&klasse=Starfleet+Tactical+Officer&rank=vadm&image=01
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    fliporican wrote: »
    It's not disabled, it's empty. You can make offers still, check the Sell tab for the current backlog for 500Dil/Zen.

Yeah, the dilex came with F2P in 2012. The game itself launched in 2010. But as far as the dilex being empty, I do not recall that being the case since F2P launch until now.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2021
    echatty wrote: »

Yea I rarely only use the DZE (Dilithium Zen Exchange) rarely as well, and like many really resist giving away my Dilithium when it's above 400:1 it just required for so many things. Still it's clear they need to add a few more, as I think @thegrandnagus1 also suggested in this or another thread.

While he didn't suggest more Fleet Holdings, I understand why some are asking for a new Fleet Holdings, or perhaps several New Fleet Items, or other options; I'd prefer myself if they slowly started upgrading the Existing Tier 3 Fleet Holdings to perhaps Tier 4. Perhaps not all at once, and wouldn't even require upgrading their looks. All they'd have to do is add an Turbo Lift to take you to a new floor, or even just add a few upgrades to furnishings on the maps already. So really all they'd need is 1-3 new NPC's to buy a few new items off of, I'm sure they could figure out how to do it based on the Holding quite easily.

I've always wanted to visit the Reman Caverns, and would love to take a Turbo lift in Embassy to access the lower area you can see by the Staging area beam in Transporter. But I'd be fine having just a few new NPC's to purchase items within one of the existing floors or area's as well. Still any new options explored would be wise. Like always, everyone has to decide for themselves, based on their needs, time, and what they hope to acquire.
    fliporican wrote: »

Yeah, the dilex came with F2P in 2012. The game itself launched in 2010. But as far as the dilex being empty, I do not recall that being the case since F2P launch until now.

I don't think the DZE is empty, it's just that there's more people selling (even if it's not me, but they also give everyone at least 7/8 accounts now not 3 like before. So if you list DIL for sale to buy ZEN it will sell, it just may take a few minutes, depending on the # of people who need Dilithium. And since those selling ZEN are mostly listing at 500:1 you won't see other offers for less unless the supply of people selling Dilithium drops. :o
    vorwoda wrote: »

Spot on.

Exactly! Now back to reading what everyone is saying on:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1262374/dilithium-exchange-maxed-out/
    0zxlclk.png
  • fliporicanfliporican Member Posts: 101 Arc User

I tried buying based on what people list under selling tab for 500 dil for 1 Zen and nothing. The Buying part of the exchange is not working.
    image.php?name=Sabio&ship=Renaissance&fleet=10th+MACO+Cavalry+Regiment&txtcol=EDE979&fac=fed&spezies=Human&klasse=Starfleet+Tactical+Officer&rank=vadm&image=01
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Regardless of the specific term people want to use, the situation is this: that are lots of *offers* to buy zen sitting on the exchange, but no supply of people accepting.

Any time a person does accept an offer, it is *immediately* filled and their zen doesn't sit in the exchange long enough to even show up in the buy tab.

So is the buy tab "empty"? For all practical purposes, yes. There are not enough people selling zen for dil to create any unfilled orders to show up in the buy tab.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2021
    This has been mentioned before but an account daily limit on refining dil might help a bit. Most players have 3 or fewer characters so a 24K/day per account limit would have no effect on them it would only hurt the farmers.

It would be on refining dil so it wouldn't affect getting fleet dil from KDF admiralty.

My stake: I don't buy or sell dil so the exchange being maxed doesn't really affect me. My dil goes to the fleet projects, Phoenix boxes, and re-engineering.

That again is going to be seen as a punishment by the playerbase and defeats the purpose of creating new toons completely while artificially slowing down progress. supply generation isn't the problem. the problem is there's nowhere for that supply to really go once it's been created. Since there's nowhere to go it just builds and builds and builds until we get this situation. Just like the bathtub example I gave. If the goal is to keep the flow of water on, then there needs to be adequate drainage to maintain a healthy water level. slowing down the flow of water down in a flood doesn't actually solve the flooding if there's nowhere for the excess water to go, it simply slows down the rate of flooding. In this instance there needs to be an adequate drain plug to uncork and there hasn't been.

Yea I'd agree with @darkbladejk there.

Why I think perhaps most need a few new options to get or new items, gear, or choices to use Dilithium for.

I think a point someone else made in another thread (similar topic) that some don't want to see New Fleet Holdings, yet I'd be OK if they upgraded some of the Tier 3 to Tier 4 slowly in phases. Still, that would expand those holdings giving a few new things to trade for Fleet Credit & Dilithium as well.

Yet I always wondered why we didn't see another Ferengi at Drozana. The Ferengi Business Woman, perhaps inspired by Quark's Mother sets up shop at Drozanna; would just use GPL & Dilithium as her currency, she'd be separate than the Lobi Vendor, more like a Fleet Vendor without a SET bonus like Fleet (most) Items. She offer different yet comparable items to Fleet, just perhaps without the Fleet Dilithium Mine 5-15% Discount; that also extends to Dilithium Store! Then maybe as she sold or reached various thresholds for various Gear, Armor, Items, and perhaps several others she'd donate a small portion of the Revenue to Modernize Drozana Station... ...doesn't need to be a set threshold, just what the DEVs though the Lady could afford based on her sales.

▪ Fix, the broken Station Arm,
    ▪ Modernize the Exterior a little bit,
    ▪ Modernize the Interior as well, at least on the upper levels.
    ▪ Perhaps other surprises as well. :o

I expanded upon this initial concept idea in my first post on Page 10 of another related thread.

It wouldn't punish new Fleets or smaller ones, as it only slightly expand one holding every year or so slowly over time, and going from 3 to 4 isn't horrible; it also give players another option for those not in a Fleet at all!

What do people think of that?
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
This discussion has been closed.