test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Dyson's Sphere is just wrong

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,446 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's been mathematically demonstrated that inside a sphere, all gravitational attractions will cancel one another out, leaving any given point in zero g. Therefore, the Dyson shell must be equipped with Star Trek's ubiquitous, low-power-requirement artificial gravity generators.

(In his article Bigger Than Worlds, Larry Niven came up with the idea of an outer, opaque shell, and then an inner, transparent shell to keep the atmosphere from falling into the star. He imagined genetically-engineered giant birds towing graceful wheelless carts from one floating castle to another...)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ravin wrote: »
    Can't compare something that isn't actually known to exist. So the Dyson Sphere in the game is neiither right or wrong.

Wow. Mind blown.

+1 internets to you
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • kortaagkortaag Member Posts: 525
    edited November 2013
    You don't really understand programming do you?

Knowing WHEN something happens is always easier than figuring out WHY it happens.

And really even you have to admit that the login glitch is more important..... Let's face it which glitch do you think costs them more money?

And you do? This game uses an object oriented code. It calls for objects which are delegated by assigned governing factors known as values. So WHAT is happening is actually more important than WHEN as that is figured out by replication which ultimately leads to WHY.
    May good management be with you.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    xynoxx wrote: »
    I don't care why it happens.

The point I'm making is that since they know exactly what in-game event triggers it, then can trace through the code from that start point and FIND OUT why it's happening.

They have a start point and the code calls will lead directly to the point where the player's race is mistakenly changed.

It's the difference between finding out where Bob works in Chicago, when you don't know anything about Bob other than he works in Chicago, and starting at his home address so you can follow him to work.

And bug hunting is not that easy. A bug from a completely different part of the code could make something fail somewhere else. There would be no trace if a programmer looks at that location since it is not that location where the bug is. This is part of the reason why patches are known to break things that are completely unrelated to what they are fixing. A bug that looks easy to fix is not that easy. The only easy bugs to fix are text bugs like a wrong description. Until you actually do some programming that involves more than a hundred lines of code, then you don't understand the frustration of fixing bugs.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kortaag wrote: »
    And you do? This game uses an object oriented code. It calls for objects which are delegated by assigned governing factors known as values. So WHAT is happening is actually more important than WHEN as that is figured out by replication which ultimately leads to WHY.
    I like to think I understand programming.

Truthfully, this glitch sounds like something is accessing the wrong part of the character data.... figuring out what might take a while. And for very little benefit.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • xynoxxxynoxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I like to think I understand programming.

Truthfully, this glitch sounds like something is accessing the wrong part of the character data.... figuring out what might take a while. And for very little benefit.

They're altering the wrong parts of character files and you count that as a minor glitch?

How long before some other addition, doing the same kind of accessing the wrong place glitch, corrupts character files beyond fixing.

How much business do you think they'll lose when people lose characters loaded with c-store items?
    edited November 2013
    xynoxx wrote: »
    They're altering the wrong parts of character files and you count that as a minor glitch?

How long before some other addition, doing the same kind of accessing the wrong place glitch, corrupts character files beyond fixing.

How much business do you think they'll lose when people lose characters loaded with c-store items?
    Hehe.... your alliance choice does in fact rewrite part of your character data, it's supposed to. Otherwise you wouldn't get any of the benefits of being allied.

I don't really see why you keep griping about this. Like I said before, it's a minor bug.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Or another possibility is the fix can be easy... and involves the erasure of the corrupted character.

So should Cryptic not fix it, only causing changes in proportion, or fix it and cause the deletion of all affected characters, including very rare, expensive, incredibly-long-to-grind bound-to-character accolades/items/ships?

Incredibly tough choice...
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    edited November 2013
    Hehe.... your alliance choice does in fact rewrite part of your character data, it's supposed to. Otherwise you wouldn't get any of the benefits of being allied.

I don't really see why you keep griping about this. Like I said before, it's a minor bug.

It's supposed to rewrite part of it, but not that part.

For that matter, we know it changed the entry for your alliance choice AND it wrote into the race slot.
    What else did it write to that hasn't been noticed yet?

Is it old code doing something unexpected, is it a programmer TRIBBLE up and writing more than 1 byte into a 1 byte parameter or something similar and thus overwriting the next parameter, or is it something else.
    We don't know, and neither will cryptic until they look at it.

The symptom so far is minor, but this is character file corruption, and if it is a size mismatch, what happens when the same guy screws up in the same way (or reuses a code snippet) and overwrites one or more of your ships or items or traits or renders your character completely unloadable when a new patch rolls out?

They're writing data into the wrong place in the file, that is serious and needs to be looked into before something major breaks.

Can they restore individual characters from backup or is it a global rollback to pre-patch?
    How long before they give up finding the bug and do the rollback.
    Back in City of Heroes I lost a fair bit of play time and progress due to a rollback, but that game was subscription, had no c-store nor loot.
    The same thing happening here could wipe out a hell of a lot more - zen purchases, lockbox random loot etc.

Because if people start losing stuff they paid real money for, they're going to scream, and then since Cryptic is an American company, the American players will probably sue them.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Captains, two things:

1. PLEASE do not feed the trolls! When you respond in any way to a hostile post, you are inviting more of them. Use the silent treatment and don't talk to them. Report any posts that violate forum rules or that you find offensive. PM me, if you like. But don't quote them and don't respond directly.

2. The topic is the Dyson's Sphere. Not Season 8 in general, not unrelated bugs, not programming, and not bug hunting. Dyson's Sphere. Please stay on topic and please do not derail the thread.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    edited November 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Captains, two things:

1. PLEASE do not feed the trolls! When you respond in any way to a hostile post, you are inviting more of them. Use the silent treatment and don't talk to them. Report any posts that violate forum rules or that you find offensive. PM me, if you like. But don't quote them and don't respond directly.

2. The topic is the Dyson's Sphere. Not Season 8 in general, not unrelated bugs, not programming, and not bug hunting. Dyson's Sphere. Please stay on topic and please do not derail the thread.

Here here. So to continue that train of thought.. So you got the borg who'd drop an entire planet just to get closer to any Omega particle and you have an entire system largely for the picking and produces enough omega particles to reflect an all you can eat buffet.

Where are the borg in the Dyson Sphere story line? It should be CRAWLING with them.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Where are the borg in the Dyson Sphere story line? It should be CRAWLING with them.
    The cutscenes of the Dyson Rep imply the Iconians may be on the sphere or around and maybe even spying us. Plus, there are the Iconian probes appearing randomly.
    As Iconians steal Borg central plexuses for the lulz, that kinda answers the question.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    edited November 2013
    Here here. So to continue that train of thought.. So you got the borg who'd drop an entire planet just to get closer to any Omega particle and you have an entire system largely for the picking and produces enough omega particles to reflect an all you can eat buffet.

Simple. Omega Particle signature is only detectable from inside the Dyson Sphere or through a gateway that is connected to inside the Sphere due to the sensor blocking nature of the Dyson Sphere's hull. Even if the Borg are 1 lightyear from the Dyson Sphere, then they can't detect any Omega Particles. The only way that the Borg will know about it is if they assimilate someone that knows about it. So if you have done Sphere of Influence, then don't do any more ground STFs.
    edited November 2013
    I'm not sure if the gravity of things has taken shape here. Those explanations are thin and innumerable if one puts their mind to it. I too can create a little imagination to attempt a patch for the obvious holes here but let's be honest. A technologically giant sphere is not going to peak the borg's interest on volume alone? They've had more interest in federation shuttles before.

Borg are interested in anything that bolsters their technology so you're saying that since there's a veil on the omega particles they would've just thought "We are borg, big object larger than anything we've constructed is uninteresting.. Moving on."? I mean really?
    edited November 2013
    I'm not sure if the gravity of things has taken shape here. Those explanations are thin and innumerable if one puts their mind to it. I too can create a little imagination to attempt a patch for the obvious holes here but let's be honest. A technologically giant sphere is not going to peak the borg's interest on volume alone? They've had more interest in federation shuttles before.

Borg are interested in anything that bolsters their technology so you're saying that since there's a veil on the omega particles they would've just thought "We are borg, big object larger than anything we've constructed is uninteresting.. Moving on."? I mean really?

The only way that the Federation detected the Dyson Sphere was that they saw an area of space that didn't register on their sensors. The Dyson Sphere is a technologically giant sphere that doesn't register on sensors. Also, there is the fact that we don't know if the Borg are even close enough to detect it. There is also the issue that Iconians are involved with Dyson Sphere so the Dyson Sphere could easily disable any Borg ship that stumbled onto it resulting in the area being classified as a No Assimilate Zone. So it is far more likely that the Borg have absolutely no clue that the Sphere exists or the Borg know to stay away from the Sphere than they are trying to get in.

We took the easy way to get in. The hard way that the Voth took is likely far more dangerous with the Sphere's outer defenses. It is implied that the Sphere was used to build up the Iconian's forces with a ton of space to hide a huge fleet and a ton of area to generate food for an army. Such a facility would require it to be hidden from hostile eyes so if the main purpose of the Sphere is to hide the Iconians from enemies, then it doesn't make sense for any race to know that the Dyson Sphere exists unless they know what to look for. It makes less sense for the Borg to know about the Sphere and not conquer it than the Borg to not know about about it. So there is only two possible options, either the Borg have no clue about it and can't detect it or the Borg know about it and can't get in even though they are trying to.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    The only way that the Federation detected the Dyson Sphere was that they saw an area of space that didn't register on their sensors. The Dyson Sphere is a technologically giant sphere that doesn't register on sensors. Also, there is the fact that we don't know if the Borg are even close enough to detect it. There is also the issue that Iconians are involved with Dyson Sphere so the Dyson Sphere could easily disable any Borg ship that stumbled onto it resulting in the area being classified as a No Assimilate Zone. So it is far more likely that the Borg have absolutely no clue that the Sphere exists or the Borg know to stay away from the Sphere than they are trying to get in.

We took the easy way to get in. The hard way that the Voth took is likely far more dangerous with the Sphere's outer defenses. It is implied that the Sphere was used to build up the Iconian's forces with a ton of space to hide a huge fleet and a ton of area to generate food for an army. Such a facility would require it to be hidden from hostile eyes so if the main purpose of the Sphere is to hide the Iconians from enemies, then it doesn't make sense for any race to know that the Dyson Sphere exists unless they know what to look for. It makes less sense for the Borg to know about the Sphere and not conquer it than the Borg to not know about about it. So there is only two possible options, either the Borg have no clue about it and can't detect it or the Borg know about it and can't get in even though they are trying to.

You have put about 10x more thought into this than have the game makers. Just wanted to let you know. Some great ideas here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,446 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The Federation detected it due to occlusion of stars on long-range visual scans of the area. Do Borg even use the ol' Mark I Eyeball to look for things? If not, they might not even know the Sphere is there.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited November 2013

I think it would have been more reasonable just to flat line the prospect that they're more busy dealing with species 8472. If the borg nanoprobes can assimilate a highly sophisticated piece of futuristic equipment like the Doctor's holo emitter AND create a drone out of it, I'm pretty sure they'd have a fair chance at assimilating one corner of the dyson sphere at least.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,306 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The doctors emitter couldn't fight back where as the sphere can.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • kaevwrynnkaevwrynn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Or, you know, the Voth are killing the Borg before they can get close to the sphere. What with the Voth living in the same general neighborhood and obviously being unassimilated (or am I the only one who never saw the Borg beam a fully shielded ship inside a cube, disable every single system and handheld energy weapon, and then assimilate the crew and vessel at their leisure?) despite having tech the Borg would probably give up their fancy optics of creepiness to steal.

So... yeah. Voth presence precludes a Borg presence.
    edited November 2013
    westx211 wrote: »
    The doctors emitter couldn't fight back where as the sphere can.

The point is that they're able to assimilate any technology. I know you knew this before posting.
    edited November 2013
    kaevwrynn wrote: »
    Or, you know, the Voth are killing the Borg before they can get close to the sphere. What with the Voth living in the same general neighborhood and obviously being unassimilated (or am I the only one who never saw the Borg beam a fully shielded ship inside a cube, disable every single system and handheld energy weapon, and then assimilate the crew and vessel at their leisure?) despite having tech the Borg would probably give up their fancy optics of creepiness to steal.

So... yeah. Voth presence precludes a Borg presence.

At least this logic is one of the few if best attempts to patch the holes Geko created. You had me nodding until you said it precludes their presence. The voth don't have total control over the sphere otherwise they wouldn't be fighting so hard with technologically inferior beings to maintain control over a few areas to begin with.. So that seems to preclude they'd be keeping the borg at bay entirely since it's such an effort for them to do that much.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,306 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The speed most likely has defenses on the outside as well as its stealth tech to protect it from any Borg that might go near it as another poster said and the voth got through the outer defenses because they're simply strong than the Borg and the outer defenses.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • kaevwrynnkaevwrynn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Except so far as we know, the Voth got in by actually finding the Sphere and flying up to it. Which means they could have an armada of 'fortress' ships (or even just a pair, really) outside the sphere killing anything that approaches it. We do not know the full extent of the Voth's power.

Why wouldn't they bring any of those extras inside if they are indeed there? Well, for one, we can't even destroy the single fortress ship that's in the sphere (that we know of). Two, if they brought in the full fleet, we would probably die. Horribly. And we're the stars of the show, so we can't be having that.

As for them having trouble with us? Simple. They were neutered for the game. Cryptic even outright states this in a dev diary. If the Voth got to play with their usual toys, players would ragequit.
    edited November 2013
    The point is that they're able to assimilate any technology. I know you knew this before posting.

Really? So there is proof that they can assimilate the Guardian of Forever, Doomsday Weapon, or Iconian Gateways? To assimilate a technology, it first must be understood how it works. The borg have immense computing power to help them understand, but there are some races that have created technology that is just beyond their understanding. Therefore, the Borg can't assimilate any technology. They can just assimilate most technologies.
    edited November 2013

Actually there is a third option, the Borg know about it but decided they have enough on their plate dealing with Species 8472 and their regular exploration/expansion routine..

Think about the resources it would actually take to conquer/capture a sphere with a surface area 250 million times that of earth - even the Borg can't do that, not without devoting the majority of their resources to the project, which would stop their expansion into other regions and the possibility of assimilating even better tech.

Sure it's a heck of a piece of technology, but is the tech all that useful to the Borg? Does the sphere tech actually help them with their regular "assimilate all races "strategy.
    Do they need to do it now or can it wait till later? It's not going anywhere.

I'm assuming Borg Command has a plan of expansion in place, and presumably the portion of the Delta Quadrant where the sphere is, is in the plan.
    Jumping to do it now would be like working to conquer Africa mile by mile starting at the southern tip, then suddenly jumping off to conquer Finland when you've only got a 3rd of Africa done and nothing of the rest of Europe. Even if they can capture Finland, they now have an outpost in the middle of unknown/enemy territory and supply lines that can be cut.
    The large amount of forces and resources they'd have to send to be able to keep Finland, would drastically slow down the conquering of Africa and Europe. Far better just to conquer it when they get there after conquering everything else.

If they know about it, then they probably know the Voth are there, and that they broke into the sphere by force and are there in large numbers, so they'd be in for a major fight for control of something that might not actually be much use to them.

Rule 1, don't fight a war on multiple fronts if you can help it, unless you have superiority in numbers and technology on all fronts.
    They've assimilated enough warlike races to know that rule and the almost certain ruin that comes from breaking it. They'll have thousands of historical examples in their memories.

The Borg have better tech than the Alpha Quadrant forces, and better numbers than 8472 (I think), opening a 3rd front fighting the Voth would be insane since they seem to be more advanced than the A.Q. forces and more numerous.
    Between them and the existing defenses of the sphere, the sphere would take a disproportionate amount of their resources to deal with, for not much gain and would slow down/stop their expansion into the Alpha Quadrant.

One source of tech, advanced though it may be, or the whole Alpha Quadrant's tech AND races for assimilation which can then later be thrown against the sphere and Voth.

The sphere can wait, it's the only logical choice.
    edited November 2013
    I appear to be feeding the apologists' imagination which is pretty dangerous. Imaginations seem to explain away anything. Cheating lovers always try to convince one another they're crazy or liars just as much as players who don't care about quality will reach into their mind's eye to make anything appear to make sense so they can continue being care free.

Obviously I'll stick to the facts which their imaginations won't be able to whisk away, like the obvious missing story lines and their lack of support. Otherwise they wouldn't be trying so hard to make up the difference.
    edited November 2013
    This claim is unproven. The Borg try to assimilate everything, we might not have examples of them failing, but that doesn't mean they're incapable of it...

oh wait we do have an example of the failing. :D Just look at the cube with a sphere shaped hole in the middle of it in that one mission. :P

Guess what species was involved..... Species 29. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited November 2013
    This claim is unproven. The Borg try to assimilate everything, we might not have examples of them failing, but that doesn't mean they're incapable of it...

oh wait we do have an example of the failing. :D Just look at the cube with a sphere shaped hole in the middle of it in that one mission. :P

Guess what species was involved..... Species 29. :P

Actually they had trouble assimilating species 8472 also but all it took was a low-tech hologram to fix that didn't it?

Oh wait.. you're referencing one of the first attempts to assimilate as proof it can't be? Guess I'll just point back to the good 'ol doctor to derail that point of yours. Pointing is fun.
    edited November 2013
    Actually they had trouble assimilating species 8472 also but all it took was a low-tech hologram to fix that didn't it?

Oh wait.. you're referencing one of the first attempts to assimilate as proof it can't be? Guess I'll just point back to the good 'ol doctor to derail that point of yours. Pointing is fun.
    You never played the Romulan storyline have you? Otherwise you'd know what I'm talking about.... But you don't know, so I'm gonna let you ponder it for a while....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing