test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hurricane Florence

starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
edited September 2018 in Ten Forward
Evening. I don't know how many of y'all are the praying type, but I've mentioned before I live in central North Carolina, and right now there's a strong Category 4 hurricane headed literally straight at me. Now, I personally will probably be okay barring tree-related damage, my family's geography is pretty good (we're up on a hill and several miles from anything big enough to flood), but the port city of Wilmington is likely to take a direct hit Wednesday night, so if you're in the area, right now would be a good time to get the hell out.

Thank you.

EDIT: Got the date wrong, pardon me.
"Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
— Sabaton, "Great War"
VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Yeah good luck with that. :/ I still have a scar on my leg from Isabel. :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sevenofnine13141sevenofnine13141 Member Posts: 4,273 Arc User
    Stay safe, Starsword!
    yakiw2uzh0ao.png
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,166 Arc User
    In a strange twist of fate, my grandmother lives in FLORENCE, SC. Hoping for the best!

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,523 Community Moderator
    We're all praying for you starsword. Stay safe.

Support from the Pacific Northwest.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,767 Arc User
  • jvonwolfies2jvonwolfies2 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    I rarely post, and when I do, I'm snarky and enjoy my own brand of humor but, I have personal experience to call on with this stuff, and let me just say; please pack up a few backpacks with essentials and get ready to leave with your family. So much can go wrong thinking you're up a hill and several miles from the big stuff, and it's just not worth sticking around when trees start falling on your house. Let alone the fact that city, county, and state services may be tied up for days or weeks. Just because you're not on the front line, be ready to move without hesitation or delay.
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    yeah mother nature can be a nasty $itch , my family in Puerto rico are still having power issues over a year later. roads are still washed out in the hills and mountains. and my son is in NC now and haven't been able to get ahold of him . so good luck and best wishes stay safe and all that other mushy stuff.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Good luck to everyone that will be affected by the hurricane.

I am really glad that in my country and my region, such powerful weather phenomena basically don't exist.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    I wish you all the luck in the world. To you and to everyone who will be faced with this storm.
    I can't imagine what you must be feeling nor what so many people will have to go through.

Cheers from across the Atlantic!
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Keeping you in prayer, Starsword. Stay safe.
    ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
    Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Well, the storm is starting to hit Wilmington. Thankfully it's gone back down to Category 2 from Cat 4 (and it's turned further south of me), but the next couple of days are going to be a little more interesting than I generally like.

Stay safe, people.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    It is what i expected over the last few days. the Hurricane (at Category 1) isn't strong enough to be a serious threat now it is about to make landfall, it is only going to get weaker as it goes along. figures it will fall apart into a tropical storm before long. When it does hit i doubt it will do anything more than some strong flooding and some heavy winds, maybe a little damage along the coastline somewhere around Myrtle Beach in South Carolina.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    Stay safe over there, and best wishes from Indiana.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
    Early reports suggest flooding across most of the Carolinas coastline, power outages but almost all the of residents have evacuated the area. strength of the hurricane is at 90mph at this point, but when it hits 75mph it becomes a tropical storm and it is expected to make it half way across the state of South Carolina before it burns out as an active hurricane.

In the meantime Myrtle Beach is right in the eye of the storm as of this moment, literally. expect some fallen trees, a few hundred wooden houses blown down, debris everywhere, flooding, cars if there are likely to be moved around but i don't expect them to get flung around. when it is all said and done, clean up will be the main issue rather than the sheer destructive scale that hit other places last year, especially those small tropical islands.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Stay safe, everyone involved - the flooding looks to be bad. :(
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    edited September 2018
    Updated reports from North Carolina had the hurricane passing over the southern most tip of the state along the coast, however effects have been felt part way over the state, with emergency teams heading into the affected areas. some residents stayed and have since left the area. As expected there is a lot of flooding and debris all over the place, some buildings are damaged and others have no roofs any more. all things considered, North Carolina got off lucky that it is down to some flooding and debris.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Updated reports from North Carolina had the hurricane passing over the southern most tip of the state along the coast, however effects have been felt part way over the state, with emergency teams heading into the affected areas. some residents stayed and have since left the area. As expected there is a lot of flooding and debris all over the place, some buildings are damaged and others have no roofs any more. all things considered, North Carolina got off lucky that it is down to some flooding and debris.

Up where I am we got some rain showers and stronger-than-usual winds. So yeah, we got lucky on this one.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Well, be careful, you guys...and don't do anything risky unless you are trained for it.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    Last update until tomorrow. I'm afraid there have been confirmed deaths with as many as half a dozen so far in North Carolina. While rescue workers work to find anyone else who stayed behind, some people are now being allowed to return to what is going to be a really bad sight, at least in the less damaged areas. it will take days for the water to reduce to a point that many others can rebuild what they lost to the floods almost 2-3 meters high.

Reports from South Carolina will be expected within half a day considering how slowly the windy funnel is travelling at.
    edited September 2018
    Tell you something, with all this going on, the Philippines got hit with a Super Typhoon, which is signifcantly stronger than a typical Hurricane and makes the one attacking South Carolina right now look like a simple strong breeze. they got hit with it more or less at full force on the northern part of the their country, but the entire island is likely to feel the effects of something that massive. even with it losing some of its strength over land and it getting reduced to a category 4 hurricane, it is still a signifcantly strong windy funnel.

An update on Hurricane Florence: it is no longer a Hurricane, just a tropical storm. The threat to life is over, but flooding is going the most serious issue in the South more than signifcant damage.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    Relieved to see the storm has weakened. But any of these is still a very dangerous event. The rain and the flooding and the tornadoes spawned by thunderstorms in these things remain a threat until the storm and the depression finally dissipate.

Y'all stay safe.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,523 Community Moderator
    Tell you something, with all this going on, the Philippines got hit with a Super Typhoon, which is signifcantly stronger than a typical Hurricane and makes the one attacking South Carolina right now look like a simple strong breeze.

Yea... I heard it was a Cat 5. Whereas Florence was a Cat 1 when it hit, then downgraded to Tropical Storm.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Tell you something, with all this going on, the Philippines got hit with a Super Typhoon, which is signifcantly stronger than a typical Hurricane and makes the one attacking South Carolina right now look like a simple strong breeze.

Yea... I heard it was a Cat 5. Whereas Florence was a Cat 1 when it hit, then downgraded to Tropical Storm.

Of course i'm hoping that the people out towards the Philippines and China are in a safe place and looking out for each other, but the mess left behind in the Philippines is going to be 100x worse than anything in North Carolina when it all clears up.

hopefully the death toll remains low on both ends for sure no matter the strength of those windy funnels.
    For what I've read and heard, the Typhoon was presumed to be a greater thread to life because of it's strength but supposed to be less destructive due to the affected areas having less population and fewer infrastructures, whereas the Hurricane had less "power" but had the potential to generate greater destruction as it would affect more populated areas and infrastructures.
    A reporter (in the Phillipines) said: "It didn't destroy much because these people have nothing to be destroyed" - which is an exaggeration of course, and a way of passing on a point rather than to be taken literally.

I am really glad to hear that it wasn't as bad as it could have been, despite being bad enough.
    edited September 2018
    For what I've read and heard, the Typhoon was presumed to be a greater thread to life because of it's strength but supposed to be less destructive due to the affected areas having less population and fewer infrastructures, whereas the Hurricane had less "power" but had the potential to generate greater destruction as it would affect more populated areas and infrastructures.
    A reporter (in the Phillipines) said: "It didn't destroy much because these people have nothing to be destroyed" - which is an exaggeration of course, and a way of passing on a point rather than to be taken literally.

I am really glad to hear that it wasn't as bad as it could have been, despite being bad enough.

one town is almost completely destroyed and others damaged
    several other villages as well have been hit hard
    a mining site was hit and a landslide buried 30 people
    more landslides elsewhere
    over 60 dead so far and it is expected to rise.

They also can't feed themselves out there because their entire crop that would of been ready for harvest next month is now flooded and ruined. The Phillipines is likely to call on emergency aid from other countries just to feed its people if it doesn't have silos filled and ready for emergency use, it isn't a first world country and it isn't particuarly wealthy as a nation.

it might not look that bad to a people in a country that can take those kinds of hits, but to those out on those islands? they don't have a lot of space, and any signifcant damage, not to mention the flooding and landslides is going to have a huge impact out there.

Now as far as China is concerned? Hong Kong was hit by the Typhoon directly, it did however weaken. there is some damage and some flooding, but Hong Kong got off lucky in much the same way North and South Carolina's have. That windy funnel is now heading near the Vietnamese border but still inside China, it is likely to hit a lot of smaller villages along the way and maybe one of their smaller towns like Yulin before it hits Nanning. Just hope there aren't a lot or any people in in it's path.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,303 Arc User
    On a brighter note it appears the American storm will be bringing some balmy weather to the UK in the next few days - up to 25c (77 F) which is pretty amazing considering its almost October and usually freezing cold this time of year (around 12-16 C )
    Of course.
    The idea is not to say "Oh, they're fine", it's just the notion that it could have been even worse. Like I said, it's bad enough and it's ongoing.
    equinox976 wrote: »
    On a brighter note it appears the American storm will be bringing some balmy weather to the UK in the next few days - up to 25c (77 F) which is pretty amazing considering its almost October and usually freezing cold this time of year (around 12-16 C )

that is doubtful. the uk weather relies on the gulf stream and that hurricane that hit the Carolinas have thrown up a lot of nasty weather that is likely to make its way to the UK, also a former hurricane that was heading for the UK has disintegrated but there is still a lot of tropical like weather that will consume Ireland and part of the mainland, mostly Wales and bits of Scotland and will likely travel across most of the uk before too long.

i don't trust the UK weather service, because it has proven to be unreliable in weather forecast over the last few years, especially in long range and short range forecasting.
    Of course.
    The idea is not to say "Oh, they're fine", it's just the notion that it could have been even worse. Like I said, it's bad enough and it's ongoing.

i understand, but just for the sake for reporting on the storms it is best to do so with at least some hard truths in them. It is best to do so with honesty than thinking that it hasn't caused much trouble and therefore a lot of people who could donate won't because the exaggeration is stronger than the truth.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,303 Arc User

that is doubtful. the uk weather relies on the gulf stream and that hurricane that hit the Carolinas have thrown up a lot of nasty weather that is likely to make its way to the UK, also a former hurricane that was heading for the UK has disintegrated but there is still a lot of tropical like weather that will consume Ireland and part of the mainland, mostly Wales and bits of Scotland and will likely travel across most of the uk before too long.

i don't trust the UK weather service, because it has proven to be unreliable in weather forecast over the last few years, especially in long range and short range forecasting.

Seems to have been pretty accurate to be honest - its sunny here right now and pretty warm (22c at the mo') It's comparable the warmer summer days we've had here which is surprising for this time of year.
    equinox976 wrote: »

Seems to have been pretty accurate to be honest - its sunny here right now and pretty warm (22c at the mo') It's comparable the warmer summer days we've had here which is surprising for this time of year.

Ireland in the northwestern area is throwing it down with rain, most of Scotland is also getting rain. Middle of the mainland, Wales and the rest of Ireland is under a blanket of clouds and yet you can only think about your little corner as an example?