What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #17

Comments

• vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    astro2244 wrote: »
    Spoiler alert below
    Lol the end of this mission is such a nod to Return of the jedi. you fly out of the ship as it's exploding, like the second death star. very fun mission

Wow, Nods to Jedi, Stargate and Jurassic Park. That's a lota nods !
    It's a sci fi extravaganza ! :D Sounds like a blast !
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

edited November 2013
    huskerklg wrote: »
    Looks great.
    Just wondering how many captains to do this mission?

From the pic, I'm guessing five.
    http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/www/c0/25/c02500dc6851ce0f602ebf92d8afb9441383681461.jpg

• captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    acg3269 wrote: »
    It's quite simple, really. The idea behind a Dyson sphere is an object that would completely encompass a sun-like star while having a radius of 1 AU. This would means that the Sphere's diameter is 2 AU, or roughly 149,597,870.7 kilometers. The Voth Fortress, however, is only 134.5 kilometers. An object with the size and purpose of the Dyson Sphere has to have access ports for ships.

Both of these dwarf my semi-assimilated Sovereign at .685 kilometers.

I think he's referring to this reference from the Relics episode.

http://lcars.org.uk/dyson/dyson4.jpg

As huge as the Jenolen Dyson's Sphere is, that particular door is quite small in comparison and wouldn't accommodate a Voth Fortress or City Ship.

Though that's not to say the Solonae Dyson's Sphere is of the same design and construction, though I'd find it astonishing to have two long gone species capable of constructing a functional Dyson's Shell even in the Star Trek universe.

So like I said. The Voth have Phase Cloak technology.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
    edited November 2013
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Gentlemen, we have our first Titan.

Ummmm Starfleet, we're gonna need a bigger boat ! :eek:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gciFoEbOA8

• godimasgodimas Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    One step closer to Vger!
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The title of "The Breach" is fitting, because looking at the picture DOES make it look like a giant whale of a ship coming at you. I really hope that someday Cryptic gives us an underwater Zone to play in for both our EV suits as well as our small craft.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Reminder: You can click on the images in the blog to see larger versions :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Don't ever think that fact goes unnoticed. I'm much more happy seeing Dev blogs now with this feature.

And it looks this Voth vessel has remained the nicest of their fleet since its concept drawings despite the 'production hell' it must have come through. ;)
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    godimas wrote: »
    One step closer to Vger!
    Probably the only starship in Star trek featured thus yet that can actually do significant damage to V'Ger via ramming. And thanks to Phase Cloaking it should be able to cause a full miss of the Giant Plasma Energy Bolt.
    The title of "The Breach" is fitting, because looking at the picture DOES make it look like a giant whale of a ship coming at you. I really hope that someday Cryptic gives us an underwater Zone to play in for both our EV suits as well as our small craft.
    Once more into the breach....dear friends.
    toiva wrote: »
    Don't ever think that fact goes unnoticed. I'm much more happy seeing Dev blogs now with this feature.

And it looks this Voth vessel has remained the nicest of their fleet since its concept drawings despite the 'production hell' it must have come through. ;)

I don't know. It looks like a giant gun. I think I'll dub it a Megatron Class Fortress Ship.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • alikainalikain Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Congratulations cryptic now I know, not only are you trying to match eve-online when it come ships and drones but also their biggest ships the Titan. You made my day I just can't stop laughing.:D
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    astro2244 wrote: »
    After destroying the ships primary reactors just like, the second Deathstars main reactor in return of the Jedi? Now I've seen my fair share of flying out at the nick of time films, but i'm sure even Bran has to admit there aren't really many other films with a ending like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xPZigWFyK2o#t=442

Not saying it was the only influence but it was a major one.

It's a TRAP!!!

• captainpurplecaptainpurple Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    That's no moon....

Gotta say this event looks AWESOME. I can't wait to give it a go.
    Unfortunately, Tribble client keeps crashing on me as soon as it goes to the character loading screen, so I guess I'll just have to wait until it goes live. Can't wait. :)
    free jkname
    bergins wrote:
    "General Server Stability" means they are bolting the servers to the floor, right? Wouldn't you be upset if Branflakes were to go stumbling into the server room, knock a rack over, and bring the game down for a DAY? SO, they aren't scrwing it up, they are bolting it down.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    That is one massive ship.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I never fought a ship that was big enough to exert its own gravitational pull before. This will be fun!
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    lol at the size of the Borg cube comparison next to this ship

Would the Borg have any chance against this thing?
  • qweeble#7491 qweeble Member Posts: 164 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2013
    This ship is larger than the whale probe from Star Trek IV, bigger than V'ger even.

The fortress ship comes in at over 7 times longer than a Super Star Destroyer, and has a length that is about 10% longer than the diameter of the Deathstar Mk.1.

The fortress ship is between 7 and 8 times longer than the Titans in Eve.
    I make space ships!
    Twitter! STO_JamJamz
  • milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think it is telling that the image of the ships facing the Voth are the new Romulan faction's Schimitar, the new fed Battle Cruiser, and two kdf ships provided at launch nearly 4 years ago.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This ship is larger than the whale probe from Star Trek IV, bigger than V'ger even.

The fortress ship comes in at over 7 times longer than a Super Star Destroyer, and has a length that is about 10% longer than the diameter of the Deathstar Mk.1.

So... it's a compensation issue. *nod*

:D
  • lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited November 2013
    Well,
    it may be called a ship, but as far as the mission is concerned, it is just a big object. It does not fly. Could as well be jut a structure on the surface of the sphere.
  • ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hey Brandflakes,

Now that we have a giant ship like the Voth Fortress, it is possible that in the future that V'Ger could somehow return, at that size and scale? In a future season or featured Episode?
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Content Designer Chris "mrodds" Dods shares details about the upcoming "The Breach" event in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.
    While watching the sneak peak the other day, I was blow away at the epic size of everything. I am also happy to see a new approach to the reputation system.

Thanks for all of the hard work.
    edited November 2013
    I will be sad if I cannot by a City Ship from the C-store for 10,000 Zen.

(250 forward weapons, 175 aft. Cannot equip cannons. 300 device slots, 92 engineering slots, 1 science slot, 174 tactical slots. BOFF seating: 35 Commander Universal stations. Comes with [console -- WAH WHAAAAA] every time you destroy another player all they here is WAH-WAAAAAAA.)
  • sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    I will be sad if I cannot by a City Ship from the C-store for 10,000 Zen.

(250 forward weapons, 175 aft. Cannot equip cannons. 300 device slots, 92 engineering slots, 1 science slot, 174 tactical slots. BOFF seating: 35 Commander Universal stations. Comes with [console -- WAH WHAAAAA] every time you destroy another player all they here is WAH-WAAAAAAA.)

Nah, that will be a lock box or lobi store ship. ;)
    edited November 2013
    ^no no, the Lobi version has more than one Science console. :D
  • mwhitakermwhitaker Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Based on the size of Halo's U.N.S.C. Infinity, which is 5.7 km long and has 17000 crew, the 135 km city ship could house about 400000 people. That seems off to me, seeing as a 3km Borg cube could house up to 130000 crew, though I doubt the Voth would force their citizens into dwelling in alcoves. Say a Borg cube of 3km sustained 80000 crew, doing the math, a city ship could, by those standards, support a compliment of roughly 3.6 million. Dayum. Das big. But if it's as big as that diagram shows, the hell with the Borg. To whoever made that post about why the Voth aren't the lead power in the delta quadrant...in all seriousness, the Feds need to take one of these, and convert it into a blockade runner. Install primary, secondary, and tertiary redundant shielding to the fore of the ship, reroute all non-essential power to forward shields, install ablative armoring, and back that with forcefield shrouded reinforced hull armor. Instant anti-Borg transwarp battering ram. With that, you could literally PLOW through a TACTICAL FUSION CUBE. I can only say, that after this, we can only logically blame all of our galaxy's assimilation issues on the assumed-duty-shirking Voth.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "The Borg - party-poopers of the galaxy" ~ The Doctor
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,290 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    neos472 wrote: »
    fortress is not for sale it is a boss ship and we do not get boss ships apart from fed/kdf/rom boss ships

The Jem'Hadar dreadnought carrier is a boss ship too and we get it.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I can't wait for my Tuffli to take on that ship. It will be the most epic battle ever! :D Okay, may be not the most epic battle. I might just save that for the Constitution-class. ;) Can't wait!
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
    edited November 2013
    velqua wrote: »
    I can't wait for my Tuffli to take on that ship. It will be the most epic battle ever! :D Okay, may be not the most epic battle. I might just save that for the Constitution-class. ;) Can't wait!

I'll be by your side in my Type-F shuttle. :D

(that said we need to set up an all-shuttle run at some point if they allow it)
  • raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    captaind3 wrote: »
    The scale of this thing, 134km long is Death Star scale. The first Death Star according to Wookiepedia was 160km in diameter with a total embarked crew complement of 1.7 million. Now this thing is designed differently and doesn't have the volume or the mass, but still the million mark is pretty easy to hit. Consider, that thing is bigger than New york City...in fact New York to Philly is only about 156km. 8 million people can fit into New York and a starship is going to have a much larger population density than a standard city (though maybe not my closet apartment New York). Also consider that it actually probably has greater living area than most metropolitan areas on account that it has more vertical space. That thing is way taller than any skyscraper. She's a true titan. Ship must run on the power cosmic.

No...it run's on SPIRAL POWER SO MAN UP AND BECOME THE STARSHIP THAT WARPS TO THE HEAVENS! THAT'S HOW TEAM FEDKLINGROM ROLLS BABY!
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • ltsmithltsmith Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Any numbers you can provide because I just would like something to be able to reference too.
  • tazurensavulentazurensavulen Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    raventomoe wrote: »

Now I will have that song on a loop ever time I run The Breach! CURSE YOU!
    signature_for_kerbal_space_program_by_lord_inu_hanyou-dbhp8de.png
    [06/16 11:51] [Combat (Self)] Your Advanced Dual Heavy Radiant Antiproton Cannons - Hypercharge deals 237970 (113626) Antiproton Damage(Critical) to Tactical Cube.
    AHAHAHA! Eat it Borg!
    [09/15 11:01] [Combat (Self)] You lose 12187085 Cold Damage from Death.
    Death is OP, please nerf. I BLAME KURLAND FOR THIS!