test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thoughts on ground PvP, ground PvP fleets, etc by Mcduffie

Comments

• buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I stopped ground PvP'ing the day I beamed into a started match, and all 5 of the other team, were jsut standing there blowing anyone up who respawned. Or the Ground version of Kerrat (virtually dead as far as I can see), where a guy was just sitting there, just dropping mines on the beam-in point, and just waiting for people to beam in... as soon as I beamed in ... Boom... I didn't get out of the beam in spot...ever.

I am not saying this doesn't happen in space... but far more often when I have played ground... and its a shame... the handful of times I didn't go up against a ground roflstomping team... I actually enjoyed it...

That's when we send a tell to CABrandt and Carmen and clear the spawn.
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Frankly, I didn't get into this game for the ground missions. I can barely put up with the storytline ones, much less pvp. If I wanna run around shooting people, I'll turn on my ps3 and get on modern warfare. Space combat is where its at.
  • milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well, once Season 8 launches, you will be able to reach Tier III in all reputation systems. At Tier III you unlock almost everything you need to do well in Ground PvP. Reaching Tier V Omega Force will give you the Mk XII sets and the Omega 10 minute heal. Tier V New Romulus will give you the Plasma/Disruptor Hybrid weapons, but Tier III is all you need for the majority of Ground PvP. That really just leaves the actual leveling of a new character for ground PvP. Good news, it just so happens that Cryptic is running a double XP event at the moment.

I still have 3 klingons that I have dumped because of reputation. If i were to increase my grind time I will bring their rep up, not start an all new character for a game play that has not been proven in my experience. I had leveled a couple fed captains for gpvp right when Omega was introduced.

If we get account bound rep then I will pursue gpvp. I know it will happen eventually because 1 rep per season will kill new players commitmment, without diversity of having multiple toons.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
  • nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    From latest tribble patch notes:

Unequipping any kit will now instantly expire any buffs or debuffs granted by any power in that kit.

:D
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The more I compare the PvP of this game to other games, especially those I have hardcore played, the more I get disenfranchised and want to retire from it here. Especially after fiascos like a certain group of "roleplay heroes" using 4 temporal ships and TIF on each with a recluse vs pugs and pugmades last night... I mean really? has pvp in this game really evolved into pugrolling for the sake of it?

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Bring a team if you don't want to chance it in the queues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    snoge00f wrote: »

Oh look, a snarky response. Well, allow me to retort. Wait, allow, lol ill just retort.

For one thing, this is the kind of attitude that drives potential pvpers away.

I am personally getting really tired of the attitude the cheesers seem to have that it is okay to pugstomp and discourage anyone who may be new. For your information I was on a team, but we only had three. Does this mean I cant pvp? because i dont have 4 temporal destroyers and a recluse on at any given hour, I am not allowed to pvp in your magical kingdom?

pfft. Most of the scrubs I see in these stomp fights are complete jokes when theyve come off to the side and fought me by just themselves. Only strong within their superteam, but hey these are the kinda guys that wont even queue up unless they are rolling their perfectly setup cheese machine. I am used to it mate, ive seen it for over a decade in many many games.

The biggest thing wrong with PvP in this game, and I will say it loud and clear for all to see:

Unless you set up a rule where certain items cannot be used, there is far too much potential to put together a setup with a team that is virtually unbeatable, even by its match. Why do you think every single tournament that comes into these forums excludes about half of the lobi and cstore items? The proof itself is in the pudding there, pal.

Ive got no problem whatsoever in losing in a GOOD fight. But when the fight is lost before it has even engaged, purely because the other side decided they wanted to use guaranteed victory mode... TRIBBLE that, find someone else to roll, it wont be me.

Until the fight the other night that put a really bad taste in my mouth of this games pvp, I was running in some rather satisfying matches (won some, lost some), but they were fun. Fun because despite being on the losing end, we not only got kills, but we made them work their asses off for those kills.

When you go into a battle and your whole team is wiped in less than 30 seconds, repeatedly, that isnt a fight, and it isnt worth my time, quite frankly.

So there is your retort.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    mikiiy wrote: »
    Thats actually exactly why i like ground here, it combines the positive aspects of shooters and rpg's in one game and thus is differently from alot of other games.

a) no aiming - thus no aimbot kids.
    b) fast paced action like a shooter.
    c) line of sight covering like a shooter.
    d) no idiotic circlestrafing nonsense many rpgs have.
    e) small maps/games with even numbered teams, thus player quality > quantity.

Been playing tons of other games before and rarely i found one so close to perfection like this one here.. if we just didn't had all those bugs and maybe a couple more game modes/maps.

This it's exactly why I like Ground PvP in STO, unfortunately due to the lack of attention from the Devs and development on the system in the last 3 years i'm currently satisfying my PvP needs in another game
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If not those stupid rep skills it would be perfect. Playing everyday still.)

In-game handle @Janetza
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    taut0u wrote: »
    If not those stupid rep skills it would be perfect. Playing everyday still.)

*cough* Cryo Immobilizer Module *cough*.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
    edited October 2013
    *cough* Cryo Immobilizer Module *cough*.

Thats changing tho. It's not supposed to be ignoring resists or hold cures according to adjuticatorhawk.
  • g0h4n4g0h4n4 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    snoge00f wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Now found frequenting MWO short term and then Star Citizen long term. Raged Quit PVP long ago
    - Gohan (House of Beautiful /Sad Pandas)
    edited October 2013
    nulonu wrote: »
    Thats changing tho. It's not supposed to be ignoring resists or hold cures according to adjuticatorhawk.

That is good to hear. Would you happen to have a link?
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    shailat wrote: »
    OMG SHUT UP WITH THE EFFING "LOLGROUND" "DELETE GROUND" "GROUND SUCKS" AND ALL THAT BULLCRAP

I'm getting tired of spacers come in on ground pvp threads and saying the same bull TRIBBLE every time, yes we have flaws (your space isn't any better you know [newly cruiser builds with cruisers showing up all over queue using faw dem and a2b]) yes our population isnt as nearly as big as you "SPACERS" but us small group Love it just like you spacers love your space, so why all the hate? if you don't like playing / doing ground, ignore the queue and keep your mouth shut!

Well, when the whole thing of this thread, is that sipposedly there are only 50 "persistent" ground PvPers, I think the guy you hammered on was making a HUMOUROUS and facetious statement, to get a laugh, and lighten the mood a bit. Being honest, it's probably people like you "you just come across as thinking you're better than "Spacers" or anyone else that doesna like ground PvP.
    Now suggestion 1: Lighten up! Learn to see the humour in a statement when it's humourously offered, and no insult was intended.

2: I PERSONALLY have no care for PvP ground or space. But since you're so attached to it, why don't you come out, and try to help get others involved in it? That would widen your player base, get it known and promoted, and heck, may even get it revamped somewhat to improve it! Also, if you're actively getting people in to it, especially if you're patient, or can point new ground PvPers to people that are willing to take the time, and have the patience, to teach newcomers to the finer arts of ground PvP, you would likely improve the image of PvP people in general.

3: HAVE FUN WITH STUFF!!! lighten up, enjoy things, and have fun with what you like to do!

None of this was meant to be harsh or insulting, but just trying to get away from the argumentative mood this seemed to be taking, and instead, maybe offer some good advice on how to improve things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
    edited October 2013
    That is good to hear. Would you happen to have a link?

Not one I can post without violating forum rules about PMs.
  • pokersmith1pokersmith1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I still like ground PvP. I still queue (try) up every once in a while (it never pops), or go to Otha (it's fun when there is a war going on). However, i do not understand some of the abilities, for example, the nukara t3 rep. That is like a death sentence unless you can tank really really well. You know what? I can't tank that well. And I cannot afford to get my character to out-crit the opposition player for more nukara t3 application since I am primarily a space captain. So, there you have it. At most I can be a recreational ground player, never a serious one. I could think about levelling up a dedicated ground toon. Oh yeah, that's a good joke.

Unless you seperate ground and space pvp completely, ground is always going to be the unwanted step-child of STO.
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
    edited October 2013
    From latest tribble patch notes:

Unequipping any kit will now instantly expire any buffs or debuffs granted by any power in that kit.

:D

What will FES and Hammer do now? Ohh wait, Sci Biochemist spam.
    edited October 2013
    I still like ground PvP. I still queue (try) up every once in a while (it never pops), or go to Otha (it's fun when there is a war going on). However, i do not understand some of the abilities, for example, the nukara t3 rep. That is like a death sentence unless you can tank really really well. You know what? I can't tank that well. And I cannot afford to get my character to out-crit the opposition player for more nukara t3 application since I am primarily a space captain. So, there you have it. At most I can be a recreational ground player, never a serious one. I could think about levelling up a dedicated ground toon. Oh yeah, that's a good joke.

Unless you seperate ground and space pvp completely, ground is always going to be the unwanted step-child of STO.

I took my main (ground hevy on traits but balanced between space and ground) into an Arena vs Nova Core premade and we won. The same character went into Shanty Town (ground) and won both battles there. This stuff about having to have a ground toon and a space toon is not true. With diminishing returns on skill points and a limited number of good traits, you can easily get the best of both.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Here's a few thoughts from me:

1. We all need to stop thinking this as a 'Ground vs. Space' situation. We're ALL PvPers, Period, no arguments. Last I checked, ground PvP was just as equally neglected as space. Both have tons of problems. Dismissing one over the other is petty on both sides.

2. The ground fleets really need to relax, especially in regards to each other. Seriously, I know the space fleets don't always get along, but the ground fleets tend to REALLY dislike each other something fierce. I don't care who is exploiting what, it's not a good thing, not at all, but the ground fleets just really have it out for each other sometimes. Exploits are bad, we all know that, like sword knockback, or kit-swapping, etc.

My point though, is that the ground fleets need to get together, and figure something out. Simply hating each other and constantly bickering isn't going to change things.

3. Organize a tournament. Much like the space one we just had, where nobody gets to bring in teams, everyone is somewhat randomized into a mixed group (namely at least one of each class). So that breaks up premade teams completely, allows other people to have a chance without worrying about only going against teams.

This would also include needing it's own set of 'No BS' rules. Like off the top of my head I could think of a list like:

No melee weapons (or at least no swords or variations of swords)
    No Cryo Immobilizer Module (which would be REALLY hard to do, but still)
    No kit swapping
    No Omega Distortion Field (or maybe just ban the Omega set since the gun and that bonus are both problems)
    No Ambush DOFFs
    Limited or no Ghostbuster guns (the Synchronic Proton Whateveritscalled that you get outta the Drozana missions)
    Limited or no Type 3 phaser rifle

I admit, my list might be a little out of date and such. It doesn't need to be a gigantic list, just something to rein in the worst and cheesiest things on the ground. That's what the space 'No BS' list is, it has only the absolute worst things to deal with in space for whatever reason they might be, but only those really bad things.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
    edited October 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Both have tons of problems. Dismissing one over the other is petty on both sides.

2. The ground fleets really need to relax, especially in regards to each other. Seriously, I know the space fleets don't always get along, but the ground fleets tend to REALLY dislike each other something fierce. I don't care who is exploiting what, it's not a good thing, not at all, but the ground fleets just really have it out for each other sometimes. Exploits are bad, we all know that, like sword knockback, or kit-swapping, etc.

My point though, is that the ground fleets need to get together, and figure something out. Simply hating each other and constantly bickering isn't going to change things.

No kit swapping
    No Omega Distortion Field (or maybe just ban the Omega set since the gun and that bonus are both problems)
    No Ambush DOFFs
    Limited or no Ghostbuster guns (the Synchronic Proton Whateveritscalled that you get outta the Drozana missions)

The reason for the ill feelings among ground fleets is listed above. The disliked fleets advocate and use all the exploits above and spawn camp new players with them. The other fleets dislike them for it. The fact is, we have not been able to get them to not use the things you listed. They buff with medical powers, kit swap to offense kit, Omega cloak, fire lobi 1 shot pistol from cloak, spam type 3 phasers, spam Biochemists, spam Ambush Doffs. Whatever is broken at the moment is embraced by entire fleets and unleashed without thought on anyone they see, followed by constant tea bagging and insults.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What will FES and Hammer do now? Ohh wait, Sci Biochemist spam.

We could always try dual boxing.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited October 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »

You could try, but why haven't you?

It does not give any advantages. One person having to constantly switch between two windows to simultaneously control two characters takes an awesome amount of dedication and multitasking. Nobody who has watched my son play can believe how he is able to do it without going insane. Yet both characters take up a slot on the team. There is actually a disadvantage to dual boxing vs having another single person there. I find it funny that this was actually mentioned, as I only know one person who can do it and he does it without any cheats, cheese weapons, broken abilities, macros, etc. He doesn't use it to spawn camp either.
    edited October 2013
    I took my main (ground hevy on traits but balanced between space and ground) into an Arena vs Nova Core premade and we won. The same character went into Shanty Town (ground) and won both battles there. This stuff about having to have a ground toon and a space toon is not true. With diminishing returns on skill points and a limited number of good traits, you can easily get the best of both.

So, are you equally competent at the highest level of both space and ground pvp? Is that what you are implying?
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
    edited October 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    This would also include needing it's own set of 'No BS' rules. Like off the top of my head I could think of a list like:

No kit swapping
    No Ambush DOFFs

Melee weapons and the Type 3 phaser rifle are problems because of chain knockback. You'd also need to ban the use of the pounce trait because it causes the same problem.

The Omega Distortion Field is only a problem when players intentionally use it to snipe people from cloak or drop super buffed plasma grenades from cloak. If it's used from 25 meters or closer it's not a problem.

The Synchronic Proton Distortion Assault Rifle has one use and one use only, killing engineer super bunkers. If you take that out, a team with 2 engineers can set up Fort Knox. You could bank the rifle, but you would also need to ban bunkering.

Using the -damage resistance biochemist needs to be added to the list, it's easy to use it to stack -150 to -200 all damage resistance to the entire opposing team.

The Omega Force rifle actually isn't much of a problem, unless it's combined with Cryo Immobilizer module. Unlike Cryo, the Omega Force proc got switched over so that Willpower reduces it's duration, Motion Accelerator grants immunity, and hold clearing abilities clear it. Cryo is a problem because it can be used to infinitely disable anyone struck with the proc.
    edited October 2013
    Using the -damage resistance biochemist needs to be added to the list, it's easy to use it to stack -150 to -200 all damage resistance to the entire opposing team.

This was acknowledged as broken also. It won't stack more then 3x when it's fixed.
    edited October 2013
    So, are you equally competent at the highest level of both space and ground pvp? Is that what you are implying?

I am saying that there is no NEED to min/max, and less advantage to it than most people believe. Take Targetting for instance. I put 6 points instead of 9 and only lose what 3% Accuracy? Not a huge disadvantage. (I tested on tribble and IIRC all 9 gives 15 accuracy, yet 6 gives 12). The same goes for defense. I have 3 points in Attack Patterns because 6 only nets me minimal gains. Do you really need 9 points in Warp power when 6 only yields 1 or 2 less power? Is 1 or 2 power necessary to compete? Especially not in today's power creep game. Better to have 6 points in Willpower and be useful on the ground IMO.

By the way, Cryptic wanted the skill trees separated, but people complained the wanted more space points so they added the range of overlap IIRC.
    edited October 2013
    I am saying that there is no NEED to min/max, and less advantage to it than most people believe. Take Targetting for instance. I put 6 points instead of 9 and only lose what 3% Accuracy? Not a huge disadvantage. (I tested on tribble and IIRC all 9 gives 15 accuracy, yet 6 gives 12). The same goes for defense. I have 3 points in Attack Patterns because 6 only nets me minimal gains. Do you really need 9 points in Warp power when 6 only yields 1 or 2 less power? Is 1 or 2 power necessary to compete? Especially not in today's power creep game. Better to have 6 points in Willpower and be useful on the ground IMO.

By the way, Cryptic wanted the skill trees separated, but people complained the wanted more space points so they added the range of overlap IIRC.

Well, min/maxing is required. You might not believe it, but that 3% accuracy or 1% crtd, or 5%crth can make or break a fight. Of course, when they apply and when they do not is highly situational, and if you are fighting against pugs they might not matter much, but trust me, you cannot simply shrug off their role in pvp.

And it's not just the skill points, there is this whole issue of traits, and even more importantly, the issue of reputation passives. Surely, there is no way around choosing either of space or ground in the rep passive abilities!
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
  • solarstreaksolarstreak Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This was acknowledged as broken also. It won't stack more then 3x when it's fixed.

3x? Seems a little on the low side, a good medic should power through that. But I won't complain too much seeing as I am a medic heh. :)
    Selun'x Alien Sci - Zarza Reman Tac
    edited October 2013
    3x? Seems a little on the low side, a good medic should power through that. But I won't complain too much seeing as I am a medic heh. :)

I'm sure you've noticed that the debuff applies separately from 2 or more players so there will still be a team benefit, but one person wouldn't be stacking 11-12x on one person (or entire teams). Whether or not 2 scis can stack it separately after it's fixed we'll have to wait and see. Since I've been seeing the V-Rex debuffed 30+ times on tribble maybe it'll be a high priority. :P
    edited October 2013
    Well, min/maxing is required. You might not believe it, but that 3% accuracy or 1% crtd, or 5%crth can make or break a fight. Of course, when they apply and when they do not is highly situational, and if you are fighting against pugs they might not matter much, but trust me, you cannot simply shrug off their role in pvp.

And it's not just the skill points, there is this whole issue of traits, and even more importantly, the issue of reputation passives. Surely, there is no way around choosing either of space or ground in the rep passive abilities!

Min/Maxing is not required, but believe what you want.

~voice of Yoda~
    You must unlearn what you have learned

~Min/Maxer~
    I, I can't

~Yoda~
    That, is why you fail
  • cbrandtcbrandt Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »

[Yoda]
    "Do, or do not... there is no try."

Defending Otha and stoping "Min/max"[ers] from pwning noobs and casual PvPers is what I do.

CABrandt and Carmen, spawn guardians.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tip of the Spear
    >