test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Captain Shon is Insolent!

Comments

• neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kublahkan wrote: »
    2- Worf... with a tricorder. Yeah I know Tricorder operation must be 1st year SF Academy but... Worf... a tricorder? Seriously?
    Don't leave home without it Ambassador Worf! I'd rather see him with a Bat'leth.

Why wouldn't he bring a tricorder? He brought one with him to the monastery on Boreth and used it to scan Kahless to see if he was real. He had no reason to bring it, but he did, so he definitely would bring one to help out with Alien Iconion technology.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • kublahkankublahkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Why wouldn't he bring a tricorder? He brought one with him to the monastery on Boreth and used it to scan Kahless to see if he was real. He had no reason to bring it, but he did, so he definitely would bring one to help out with Alien Iconion technology.

Oh it's a free world, he can bring one if he likes.
    It's just that it has been a long road for the Worf I knew. The one that got insulted by Riker when he was told that the Defiant was a tough "little" ship.

Hell Shon never got one out and for a moment I seriously thought he was reduced to a Red Shirt !!
    (Sorry I've been reading Game of Thrones recently and I still have that eerie feeling that everyone's out there to kill main characters)
    :P

Anyway, OP is about NPC not reacting accordingly to the player's rank, which I think is true.
    "Starship captains are like children. They want everything right now and they want it their way. The secret is to give them what they need, not what they want."
    - Scotty, to La Forge
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    He captain's the enterprise.

this right here... how often had Enterprise captains disobay's direct orders?

The answer is... A lot.

be in charge of a ship with the name Enterprise and apparently you can get away with just about anything.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    He is Captain of the Enterprise, and if I learned anything from the lore, it makes him far smarter than me. Respectfully-another Dumb@ss Starfleet Admiral.:P
    edited November 2013
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    He is Captain of the Enterprise, and if I learned anything from the lore, it makes him far smarter than me. Respectfully-another Dumb@ss Starfleet Admiral.:P

which explains why he's got the cushy parade ship job with the occasional show up for battle thing, as opposed to you running around on new romulus tagging small furry animals.
    edited November 2013
    tenkari wrote: »
    which explains why he's got the cushy parade ship job with the occasional show up for battle thing, as opposed to you running around on new romulus tagging small furry animals.

Wasn't he soooo helpful in the 2800 series! "This is Enterprise, looks like you, and Fistpump Kurland got this, so we will just kinda hang back and drink coffee."
    edited November 2013
    Wasn't he soooo helpful in the 2800 series! "This is Enterprise, looks like you, and Fistpump Kurland got this, so we will just kinda hang back and drink coffee."

the hell you talking about? the Enterprise pretty much took on everything when it showed up, at least it did when i played it. maybe you just had a bugged Ent-F on yours. Plus, if you recall, the enterprise was brought to the battle without all systems online.
    edited November 2013
    It might have been bugged, everyone was playing it when it first released.
    enterprise had its cutsceen, then really did nothing. My brother played it a week earlier, and swore to this very day that Data was Captain of the Ent-F on his mission run through.
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited November 2013
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This is an RPG game. It doesn't matter if the Quest Giver is some random homeless guy or the president of the Federation, he is your master and you will do whatever lowly errands he tells you to. :D
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Personally I thought the two best VO's in the FE were Captain Shon and Koren, I just loved the emotion that the VO actress put into her roll. Worf was good, but could have been better, and Adranna was terrible to say the least..
  • aliensamongusaliensamongus Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I agree with elemberq333, Dorn's performance voicing Worf was a bit.. odd, like voicing some audio book. Some lines were good - almost spot on, some were just.. meh. Like the part where he says "..defend yourself!", there was no sense of emergency. That's just a mere example.

I'm thankful he's here though and hopefully more will follow. Maybe if he's given a bit more direction other than just, "Oh it's Mr. Dorn, we'll keep our mouths shut and let him do the voicing - we dare not criticize, because he's a celebrity."

I hope that wasn't the case.
    giphy.gif
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    tenkari wrote: »
    the hell you talking about? the Enterprise pretty much took on everything when it showed up, at least it did when i played it. maybe you just had a bugged Ent-F on yours. Plus, if you recall, the enterprise was brought to the battle without all systems online.

i concur with this. when the F showed up in my first runthrough it tore the heck out of the target i was on

granted that was back when i still was using default gear and knew absolutely zero about how to really play the game, but the Ent-F was damn impressive that day.

(and ill admit, we were losing the fight until it showed up)

I always play content on elite mode, and when youre actually new to the game a huge fight like that is actually hard.

once youve got your fleet rep mk billion supergear, its easy peasy, but imagine the brand new level 35-40ish person in a huge massive ball of death like that
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
    edited November 2013
    i concur with this. when the F showed up in my first runthrough it tore the heck out of the target i was on

granted that was back when i still was using default gear and knew absolutely zero about how to really play the game, but the Ent-F was damn impressive that day.

(and ill admit, we were losing the fight until it showed up)

I always play content on elite mode, and when youre actually new to the game a huge fight like that is actually hard.

once youve got your fleet rep mk billion supergear, its easy peasy, but imagine the brand new level 35-40ish person in a huge massive ball of death like that

I had a Defiant with all XII weapons, consoles, and Omega set.Possibly why the Enterprise sat it out on my run.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have to chime in too. Captian's of the fleet flagship or pride of the fleet like the Enterprise, gives them a certain weight on what they can and cannot do.

Though a bit of Le majesty in deference to our rank would be nice. Though truth be told, really need to redo the rank structure of this game.

By level 50 shouldn't be a VA or LTGen. Should be maybe a commodore or Colonel. Higher rank, but not quite flag rank.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    talonxv wrote: »
    I have to chime in too. Captian's of the fleet flagship or pride of the fleet like the Enterprise, gives them a certain weight on what they can and cannot do.

Though a bit of Le majesty in deference to our rank would be nice. Though truth be told, really need to redo the rank structure of this game.

By level 50 shouldn't be a VA or LTGen. Should be maybe a commodore or Colonel. Higher rank, but not quite flag rank.

just go stand in ESD near the ceremony area. turn on NPC chat.

youll get lots and lots of buttkisses there, rofl
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    He captain's the enterprise.

Yea... and on his first mission, he managed to get it damaged to the point of disabled.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    where as Kirk and picard talked to Admirals with such respect at times. :rolleyes:
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think some of the problem is, we're all VA (fed side), but really, we're doing stuff in the game that a VA should not do. Why couldn't they hold the player ranks at Captain? Hell, Bran refers to us as "Captains" not "Vice Admirals". There's more insolence at the top, I suspect.

Yeah, Captain is more the of job, while Admiral is a rank, but all these VA's...
    -Makbure
  • edmunddukeedmundduke Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I still wonder why I can't beam down onto a planet that I know is hostile territory and not bring 500 of my crew members of the 3000+ that serve aboard my ship prepared for battle. I've got to have some expendables, right? Right?
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Shon is not that bad compared to the STUPID Ensign in the mission War Games...

The Fracking SOB has you defending his quarters while he runs in and grab his Captain proton holonovle...OMG I wish there was a bug in the game so i could murder him....God i hate that part SOOO much.:mad:

So I'm not the only one who spent five minutes standing there beating him with my rifle butt? :D

Prophets, talk about your misplaced priorities...
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    talonxv wrote: »

Colonel is the same rank as Captain, just in a different military branch. And, as far as I know, Starfleet has abolished the rank of Commodore by TNG (just as the rank has been excised from the U.S. military structure).

Honestly, what the ranking system needs is a sort of Service Star or something -- one could be, say, a Four-Star Captain, but still just a Captain. Or perhaps rather than ranking up, the game just has levels 31-60 be... Captain.

However, at this late point in the game's life, any chance of them redoing the ranking structure is long out of the realm of possibility. The only saving grace is that we know we'll never get higher than Vice Admiral because, despite whatever the devs say, they are incapable of creating enough content in a single patch to justify making all current endgame content obsolete.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Reading the conversations on Spacedock has shown this to be true. :D
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    edmundduke wrote: »
    I still wonder why I can't beam down onto a planet that I know is hostile territory and not bring 500 of my crew members of the 3000+ that serve aboard my ship prepared for battle. I've got to have some expendables, right? Right?

hehe, so i'm not alone in wandering why we only ever bring 4 guys then, send in the troops!

I think the ground zone for the new update lets us team up with others players and bring our BOFFs too making the team a lot bigger
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    With regard to VA's doing jobs beneath their status:

What might be more realistic than sending yourself down to do mining and menial tasks, is if you could select a bridge officer and "possess" him/her/it for the duration of what you are doing.

What would be quite strange with this is if on completion of such events, you were hailed by "yourself" as CO.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The game has always been like that. Why was you running around checking the stuff the workers was suppose to do and report to you? Like taking the readings, then activating the gateway. To set it up. All that was not suppose to be done by you. A true Admiral would be more in a Worf's role. Just stand, discuss, and watch. So he wasn't the only one treating you like that.

Others is why bother doing the mining game. That is for some other members not head officials. This game is full of you doing "work" your actual role isn't suppose to do.

Its a game, does it really matter? Why I always fight to the verge of death, then see someone one just go through like no big deal.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • anikaifulanikaiful Member Posts: 138
    edited November 2013
    If it was up to me, I'd left Shon die on the table ... with all my Feds and my KDFs. :D
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    adverbero wrote: »
    I mean if you want a Proper Vice Admirals Job then you should ask the devs to make the entire game into a DOFF minigame where all you do is put a stamp of approval on a set of mission authorisation forms

that sounds like an idea i would vote for :D

seriously that rank problem has existed since launch.
    the only people that should be allowed to name themself Admiral should be actual Fleet Leaders (more like a roleplay thing), the rest of us should be Captains.

this is like beating a dead Zombie Horse to death for the third time... just to make sure it is still dead...

i don't get why the devs insist on this silly rank structure.
    there are enough ranks below Captain to fill it all out to 50 and still be Captain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anikaifulanikaiful Member Posts: 138
    edited November 2013
    zerobang wrote: »
    seriously that rank problem has existed since launch.
    the only people that should be allowed to name themself Admiral should be actual Fleet Leaders (more like a roleplay thing), the rest of us should be Captains.

this is like beating a dead Zombie Horse to death for the third time... just to make sure it is still dead...

i don't get why the devs insist on this silly rank structure.
    there are enough ranks below Captain to fill it all out to 50 and still be Captain.

Agreed. And then there's people who play for example a Ferengi who fly their D'koras, and roleplay-wise (nor otherwise) don't associate themselves being part of neither KDF, nor Fed, nor Rommies, but freelancers.

- "Admiral, I order you to go grind there-and-there", says ze Uber Admiral of Fed.
    - "Does it pay? If it doesn't, go scrub it yourself. And for the last time, I'm no stinking Admiral, ye git", replies ze Ferengi.
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians, biggest flaw of STO.

We all should be Captains, not Admirals.:cool:
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg