test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Captain Shon is Insolent!

13»

Comments

• jimtkirkjimtkirk Member Posts: 0
    edited November 2013
    Look around. STO is full of insolent subordinates!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    That's exactly why the whole "rank" structure for players makes no sense in a Star Trek game. The player is always the captain. There should be only captains, rank 1-50. For RP in your fleet you could still set a different rank at your uniform at the tailor, but the game should change the "admiral" to just "captain".
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    angrytarg wrote: »
    That's exactly why the whole "rank" structure for players makes no sense in a Star Trek game. The player is always the captain. There should be only captains, rank 1-50. For RP in your fleet you could still set a different rank at your uniform at the tailor, but the game should change the "admiral" to just "captain".

I agree. You could start the tutorial as Commander giving some lessons at Starfleet Academy before you're given your first command (which would make much more sense than getting your own ship as lieutenant). They wouldn't have to change that much. You would still chose your bridge crew and get your personal equipment.
  • radagast75radagast75 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    Yeah, if they're going to keep doing stuff like that they should rename the ranks to end at Captain. Or bring back Commodore.

Or play the Commodores when you level up.

Hey i like this, at least in Starfleet it would be good. KDF? Everyone can do everything. Romulans? Heck, i remember many commanding officers being actually Subcommanders but that was the old Romulan Star Empire.
    Captain Hunt, at your service!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    szim wrote: »
    I agree. You could start the tutorial as Commander giving some lessons at Starfleet Academy before you're given your first command (which would make much more sense than getting your own ship as lieutenant). They wouldn't have to change that much. You would still chose your bridge crew and get your personal equipment.
    Stick a pin in this in case they ever reboot this game. Start out as a lvl 1 Captain, fresh with your first command. Work up to lvl 50 Captain, trying to find ways to *not* get promoted to an Admiral's desk job...
    radagast75 wrote: »
    Heck, i remember many commanding officers being actually Subcommanders but that was the old Romulan Star Empire.
    Subcommander (or erei'Riov) is equivalent to Fed Commander rank. Commander (or Riov) is equal to Fed Captain. :)
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Stick a pin in this in case they ever reboot this game. Start out as a lvl 1 Captain, fresh with your first command. Work up to lvl 50 Captain, trying to find ways to *not* get promoted to an Admiral's desk job...

Given that all of STO's story happens in the same year that shouldn't be so difficult :D
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    szim wrote: »
    Given that all of STO's story happens in the same year that shouldn't be so difficult :D

always thought it was nuts you went from Ensign to VA in a year. That's not even meteoric. That's insane.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • rikersdadrikersdad Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    check your "edit record" you may have ensign as your official designation. I changed mine to "The undying"
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jmadfour wrote: »
    one of the things I find pretty humorous so far, (I just started the game) in the Klingon story missions, is that my First Officer, everything he says, it's obvious that they are meant to be instructions for the Player (in a OOC type game mechanic way), but they are always prefaced with "I SUGGEST..." or "My SUGGESTION is..." or "my RECOMMENDATION would be..." with extra emphasis on "SUGGEST".

which is of course, much better than the Romulan missions where sometimes I wonder if I am the Captain of the ship or Toven Khev is...

HOW DARE YOU QUESTION SUCH A THING?! And question the authority of Captain Khev?! He is our undisputed lord, master and god-king! Bow your head in disgrace! :mad:
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    angrytarg wrote: »

Well, if sense were a concern, I could absolutely see Lt. Cmdr in the tutorial, Commander while leveling (Commander rank personnel frequently captained nonessential or desperately needed ships in Trek), and Captain and endgame.

Really, I'd have gone for levels being represented by what year it is for you. And yes, that does make it a bit of a paradox when you see higher level players but that's true in any game with a linear story and open zones.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Shon is Captain of the Enterprise. You don't mean squat compared to him.

*takes off glove and slaps the OP*
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • distantworldsdistantworlds Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have half a mind to have him revoked. Yeah, K-I-L-L-E-D. Revoked. But instead, I've decided to take a liking to him. I'd think I'd like him on my wall, best. MINIONS! Take this Shon back to my office and mount him on my wall.

I'm an Orion Pirate. I don't take orders from some starfleet captain.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    z3ndor99 wrote: »
    He's andorian, don't expect any pretty please's. Think back to how shran was with capt archer.

shran followed orders but the first few times when they met is was a curious partnership and eventually Shran warmed up to archer and archer responded by helping shran out, it's where the owed favors come into it. had season 5 happened, shran would of been a permanent member on the enterprise as a matter of interest and even subordinate advice can not be chucked to a side if it's valid and makes a lot of sense. Shran was out of favor with the andorian guard because of his friendship with archer.

now think towards chakotay and janeway, kira and sisko for example. these were similar in intensity but simply giving each other respect and asking for help will evolve into pretty pleases and thank yous along the way which did happen.

as for shon being insolent? no, he was offering a good suggestion as iconian technology has been nothing but trouble as worf put it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    *takes off glove and slaps the OP*

I TRIBBLE in your general direction
    </movie quote>
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread