Legacy of Romulus Dev Blog #46

Comments

• Options
    capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    wayofdera wrote: »

+ 1 to this comment.

Cryptic,

I thought at the beginning of LoR, that the 5 singularity powers the Romulans received on the warbirds, were explained as a tradeoff for them being weaker in power to the warp core, and thus receiving the -40 power (-10 across each subsystem)?:confused:

If the above is true, then why do the Romulan cruisers not receive this function as well?

This feature will enhance team game, in order for players to benefit from each others special abilities.:) However, for the Romulan captain commanding a warbird cruiser, you become a double liability to your team, having no special communication ability to aid your teammates, and, suffering from a continual -40 power.:(

It's actually really really simple and you guys seem to keep blowing the fact out of your mind.

This is an ability for CRUISERS Warbirds are not cruisers guys so get that out of your head. Destroyers, raptors and other stuff aren't getting it either. So learn to deal.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starblade7starblade7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I will have to disagree. We'll find most Cruisers running with the Weapon setting now...

Wait, you're telling me that there are Cruisers out there which weren't running with Weapon power set to maximum (or near-max)?

... I stand by my statement that the romulan faction has 3 dreadnaughts, not 1.

By that logic, the Federation has five different Assault Cruisers because they're different classes: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Fleet_Assault_Cruiser

You're arguing a very small technicality. Effectively, the faction has one Dreadnought which can come in three variants.

--

Original Topic:

I'm looking forward to these aura-buffs. I fly a variety of Cruisers on most of my six characters, which covers standard, flight-deck, and battle cruisers, soI'll have the opportunity to try all the different powers.

Since the Dreadnought Cruiser has been singled out for different allocation of powers, I'm strongly inclined to believe this would indicate a review of this ship not too long from now, or at least with Season 8. Failing that, perhaps the Fleet Galaxy-X might be released.

As far as the Avenger is concerned, it sure looks like a nice ship, but it wasn't that many months ago that I invested in a Fleet Regent... and now that pinnacle of "Tactical" Cruisers is about to be superceded, no doubt. Better shields, better turn rate, access to Dual Cannons... of course this sort of power creep always happens here, but I wish I hadn't purchase several other Fleet ships for my main character as well. At least I'll be unlikely to purchase any more ships for my other characters (who all have only one Fleet ship for which they were specifically built).
    Forget the possibility of PvP, for so much has become pay-to-win, never to be balanced. Forget the promise of exploration and research, for in the grim dark future of Star Trek Online there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting publishers.
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Any of the free T5 Sci ship beats the Oddy at Science. That doesn't justify its short standings at everything else - especially when comparing it to something else that can out-perform it to such a degree.

It can match this Battle Cruiser's tac abilities to a tee, but it can't match the power. Its defenses are weaker. The ship's life is in its shields, and this Battle Cruiser out-matches it. The Hull difference isn't worth arguing as a few hundred isn't going to be decisive compared to the loss of shield points. The manuverability is better too, making the restricted damage arcs from the Oddy even less worthwhile.

The skills are even able to out-perform it with the only catch being if the Oddy swaps the lt Com to Sci - and that means it can't ever defeat it in combat.

The Oddy isn't even worth the cost anymore.

That is the very definition of a hybrid tax: it is an MMO construction philosophy, a paltry illusion at that, that it is valid to gimp a ship's design and stats because it can be built to perform two builds.

However it does not take into account the real world performance of the ship because when built as a true hybrid, it renders the ship completely ineffective at either role. And when built for one role, the reduced/deliberately hobbled stats gimp the ability of the ship to perform in the said role.

The Dreadnought Cruiser is one of the most vivid examples of hybrid taxing at work.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    unboundinfernounboundinferno Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    starblade7 wrote: »
    Wait, you're telling me that there are Cruisers out there which weren't running with Weapon power set to maximum (or near-max)?

You misunderstand.

Command ? Weapon System Efficiency:

The Weapon System Efficiency Command reduces power drain from weapons by 25% for the cruiser and nearby allies. This Command will reduce the significant drain from directed energy weapon fire. Ultimately, this will lead to higher sustained damage and quicker recovery from firing energy draining powers like Beam: Overload.

That setting will be most likely the main setting of choice. If I continue running my Oddy when it hits, that will be what I will run.

Threat isn't needed, I won't ever bother with shields - I'm runnign max and rarely downed facing unless swarmed by Borg, and there is little reason for Manuverabbility if you know how to plan your flight - so why run anything else?

This is a damage perk. I'll be able to abuse Beam overload more. My weapons will be at max more, the damage will be higher - that is what will be run.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    You misunderstand.

The Weapon System Efficiency Command reduces power drain from weapons by 25% for the cruiser and nearby allies. This Command will reduce the significant drain from directed energy weapon fire. Ultimately, this will lead to higher sustained damage and quicker recovery from firing energy draining powers like Beam: Overload.

That setting will be most likely the main setting of choice. If I continue running my Oddy when it hits, that will be what I will run.

Threat isn't needed, I won't ever bother with shields - I'm runnign max and rarely downed facing unless swarmed by Borg, and there is little reason for Manuverabbility if you know how to plan your flight - so why run anything else?

This is a damage perk. I'll be able to abuse Beam overload more. My weapons will be at max more, the damage will be higher - that is what will be run.
    Yes, but please, LOOK.

There will be more than 1 cruiser in a queued game. As a dreadnought cruiser captain, I WILL be using WSE because that's the only thing I can do. But if you're in anything else, count the cruisers. If you have less buffs than there are cruisers, change auras plz!

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

• Options
    starblade7starblade7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You misunderstand.

Oh, you're right, I misunderstood. I don't disagree with your point either; whether running FAW or BO, this will be a popular choice.
    Forget the possibility of PvP, for so much has become pay-to-win, never to be balanced. Forget the promise of exploration and research, for in the grim dark future of Star Trek Online there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting publishers.
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Now i'll be able to get four of these new ships in a group and say: ''Avengers Assemble!" *Ducks after bad joke*

(Someone had to do it)
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    khayuung wrote: »
    That is the very definition of a hybrid tax: it is an MMO construction philosophy, a paltry illusion at that, that it is valid to gimp a ship's design and stats because it can be built to perform two builds.

However it does not take into account the real world performance of the ship because when built as a true hybrid, it renders the ship completely ineffective at either role. And when built for one role, the reduced/deliberately hobbled stats gimp the ability of the ship to perform in the said role.

The Dreadnought Cruiser is one of the most vivid examples of hybrid taxing at work.

Fair enough, and I'm not arguing that.

I'm arguing the idea that the Odyssey as the Flagship of the Federation is the most advanced and best ship. That point - the most advanced and best ship available.

It isnt. It hasn't been for a long time, and there will be no reason for it to be considered that, especially with this Battle Cruiser. There are better options. Better Tanks, Better damage-Cruisers. The only goal it seems to fill is "Healing" but in ST:O that role is pointless. It can't even be done well with the skills on the ship - sure its the best option for it, but it can't even do that to the fullest.

ST:O is a damage-oriented, kill the enemy game. The rest is just there to help make that goal easier. Players want to deal damage and a good team dealing damage does better than any other option. A Healer? Its a silly idea as there isn't a reason for one to be a focused plan.

The Odessey doesn't fit the acclaimed "top" as it were because it is behind regardless of how the plan attempted to make it fit that. It simply cannot ever be that pinnacle of the Federation's standards. Its behind, will remain behind, and you can't make it fit that anymore.

That power creep of lockboxes? These new and better ships? There isn't a single way this old ship can fit that anymore.
  • Options
    jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Strategic Maneuvering seem to be a not so useful command for allied ships. The effect is only active if you are in close proximity of the ship that is casting it. Meaning that the extra flight speed will move you past the affected area unless you reduce your speed to keep within its area of effect which means you really can?t benefit from the speed portion of the command if you are tied to a slow moving ship like the Odyssey or Galaxy Class ships.

It would be nice if it has 6 or more seconds lingering effect once you move away from the area that way the speed portion isn?t a total loss.

On the other hand these new abilities will give new meaning to FED Ball.

I can see it now the enemy casts a Gravity well to squeeze the fed ball tight followed by warp plasma to keep them together and an Aceton assimilator just for good measure and one Alpha strike on one ship and see the other ships go BOOm from the warp core breach.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    astro2244 wrote: »
    Now i'll be able to get four of these new ships in a group and say: ''Avengers Assemble!" *Ducks after bad joke*

(Someone had to do it)
    I was the one talking about something Stark built first! :P
    jrq2 wrote: »
    Strategic Maneuvering seem to be a not so useful command for allied ships. The effect is only active if you are in close proximity of the ship that is casting it. Meaning that the extra flight speed will move you past the affected area unless you reduce your speed to keep within its area of effect which means you really can?t benefit from the speed portion of the command if you are tied to a slow moving ship like the Odyssey or Galaxy Class ships.

It would be nice if it has 6 or more seconds lingering effect once you move away from the area that way the speed portion isn?t a total loss.

On the other hand these new abilities will give new meaning to FED Ball.

I can see it now the enemy casts a Gravity well to squeeze the fed ball tight followed by warp plasma to keep them together and an Aceton assimilator just for good measure and one Alpha strike on one ship and see the other ships go BOOm from the warp core breach.

Considering they are all A2B DEMarion BFAWing, chuck a SS3 in there and watch everyone melt each other.

Oh and coolly fly away in your Science Vessel/Fleet Support Ship, back to the chain WCBs, like a boss.

• Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    The name of the new console coming with the Avenger.

Stands for: Variable Auto-Targeting Armament

Included a screeny. :D

sweet...the stats of the non fleet version :)

also...is it just me or did cryptic find a way to add in the ship from ID? sure as heck looks like it

i wonder what kit that player is using...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I was the one talking about something Stark built first! :P

Considering they are all A2B DEMarion BFAWing, chuck a SS3 in there and watch everyone melt each other.

Oh and coolly fly away in your Science Vessel/Fleet Support Ship, back to the chain WCBs, like a boss.

We need Samuel L Jackson in charge on taskforce omega With his nick fury eyepatch.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    We need Samuel L Jackson in charge on taskforce omega With his nick fury eyepatch.

Samuel L Jackson as D'rek Rozhenko? :eek:

That might actually work. And wait till he pulls out a nanopulse bat'leth and goes all lightsaber on the Collective's TRIBBLE.

• Options
    edited October 2013

(Someone had to do it)

You did have to do it, now only if we could customize the colors a little more. that way we could actually set up an avengers-esque theme group....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lol its on red shirt http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/14/83/54/34/avenge10.jpg

nice stats, but the regent, the regent is over. its 1000% worthless now
    wtf is with that shield stat and I agree... it should be a max 1.15, also should have lower hull then regent, while higher then excelsior, hell both ships are broken with those stats. Heck I'd even go as far to say a lot of fed cruisers are shafted.

Give it a com tac,and lt com engi, ensign sci, lt tac and lt engi. less shields 1.1 fleet, less hull then regent... Along with the 5 fore and 3 back. It would be different enough.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    You did have to do it, now only if we could customize the colors a little more. that way we could actually set up an avengers-esque theme group....

She's no helicarrier though. :P

• Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Fair enough, and I'm not arguing that.

I'm arguing the idea that the Odyssey as the Flagship of the Federation is the most advanced and best ship. That point - the most advanced and best ship available.

It isnt. It hasn't been for a long time, and there will be no reason for it to be considered that, especially with this Battle Cruiser.
    The Odessey doesn't fit the acclaimed "top" as it were because it is behind regardless of how the plan attempted to make it fit that. It simply cannot ever be that pinnacle of the Federation's standards. Its behind, will remain behind, and you can't make it fit that anymore.
    Technically, this is all canon. Technology Marches On, and old ships get trumped by new TRIBBLE. Power creep is pretty realistic considering what this game is based on. What happened to Kirk's Enterprise? Got trumped by the Excelsior. In a few years, we got a new Excelsior-class Enterprise. What if STO is headed this way? In say 2432, the Enterprise-G is an Avenger-class battlecruiser?

Just dumping thoughts here, not trying to justify poor game design. :3
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ooh! Ooh! What does it do? Anyone fired it? Does it make things go BOOM?!

Not live yet, so cannot test it. From what the description says, it fires 2 torpedo projectiles at your target, but they can both fire independently at targets within a 10km radius..
    cynder2012 wrote: »
    sweet...the stats of the non fleet version :)

also...is it just me or did cryptic find a way to add in the ship from ID? sure as heck looks like it

i wonder what kit that player is using...

Not really, though I am sure that is what they are hoping/trying to get sales from.

The ship actually takes most of it's styling cues from the 2nd place DTNE contest ship.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    edited October 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Technically, this is all canon. Technology Marches On, and old ships get trumped by new TRIBBLE. Power creep is pretty realistic considering what this game is based on. What happened to Kirk's Enterprise? Got trumped by the Excelsior. In a few years, we got a new Excelsior-class Enterprise. What if STO is headed this way? In say 2432, the Enterprise-G is an Avenger-class battlecruiser?

Just dumping thoughts here, not trying to justify poor game design. :3

I suppose the only problem with your theory is that we're still in 2409 when it really should be 2413 by now...

• Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I suppose the only problem with your theory is that we're still in 2409 when it really should be 2413 by now...
    I'm just in denial... :(
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I'm just in denial... :(

Me too... :o

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I'd rather not be.

I've got my Oddy finally filling out to where I get compliments daily on the thing, but I'd much rather it just normally be a good ship than it to be so god-forsaken surprising when mine performs well.
  • Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Not live yet, so cannot test it. From what the description says, it fires 2 torpedo projectiles at your target, but they can both fire independently at targets within a 10km radius..

Not really, though I am sure that is what they are hoping/trying to get sales from.

The ship actually takes most of it's styling cues from the 2nd place DTNE contest ship.

that looks cool :)...but im going to wait awhile after its release before thinking more about getting it....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    She's no helicarrier though. :P

Literally squeee'd so loud in the theater when she lifted off i got shushed by EVERYONE in the theater.

But yeah nothing compares to that bad boy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Alot of the hair splitting seems to be without knowing the numbers or how it will be applied in game. I think keeping it at a 5km radius effectively nulls the team based ability. I think it should be to 10km given the need for the ability to be useful you have to remain in the area of aura. a 20km diameter is an appropriate maneuver space in combat, 10km diameter is not in a fluid combat. At the very least the manuever needs to be out to 10km and all the abilities should have a "timer" (say 10 seconds, but at least more than 5) for when you leave the area you retain the ability but must return to 5km before the 10sec timer expires to 'renew' the ability.

If they have an on/off switch at 5km these abilities will not be that useful because it kills the high maneuverability of the other ships.

Perhaps have the ability scale to the distance (closer more intense buffs).
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Hmm....

15km range, applied in pulses every 5 seconds, buff lasts 10-15s?

Might even give it the sonar pong every time it fires off.

• Options
    lterlter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well since this game follows a classic healer-tank-dps trinity (with its own tweaks, sure), guess it was about time cruisers having an 'aggro' button, although I don't like it. In fantasy games 'aggro' can be *magically* explained, but in a spaceship game I don't know how to explain a button that makes the enemy ships having to shoot at you.

Anyway, good news, although Geko was saying nonsense in the last interview, it seems that they actually took a look at the community feedback.

We just need a engineer captain overhaul to give engies more useful powers.

Looking foward to see what they're doing with sci vessels next.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    @milanovirus

Diminishing strength at range is a good idea, but you're right it's gotta be extended.

Everyone inside of a 10km diameter bubble trying to maintain formation is gonna be a sitting duck. I can do that with my cruiser, but in a sci or a tac boat? Plodding along at minimum speed so that I can stay in range of the buff is gonna get very messy, even with a sci pumping everyone with scattering field. (I wonder how it's going to synergize with Team fortress?)

Something that may help is an actual automatic fly in formation function, which I'd like to see more of actually. There's no button that says standard orbit, or formation flight or anything.

====

The Avenger's shield modifier is pretty intense...wish the Regent could get some of that love. The odd thing is that it's a hybrid with a tactical vessel which you think would weaken it's shields.

BUT I think I know where the balance is. The normal Avenger only has one Sci console slot, that's a serious drawback. I'm also wondering how the regen will play out. So the hybrid tax is that it's very weak in science. The Fleet version has 2 sci consoles, but a 1.24 shield modifier....wow.
    Yup, just been on there myself lol.

And I was right, she looks a lot like that DTNE runner up, just as I thought :D

Also, the V.A.T.A. reminds me of the KDF Bio torp...
    Good call.

The name of the new console coming with the Avenger.

Stands for: Variable Auto-Targeting Armament

Included a screeny. :D
    Fascinating.

You know what it reminds me of? The episode of Voyager that introduced us to Paratrinic shields. Warhead's eponymous weapon.

(Someone had to do it)
    Yes it was necessary. And I'm proud of you for your initiative. :rolleyes:
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Thanks guys, I now have a mental image of The Doctor riding a VATA, directing Photon torpedoes and Photonic Cannon blasts at random targets, screaming HIGHWAY TO HELL all the way, before beaming out at the last minute.

• Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hmm....

15km range, applied in pulses every 5 seconds, buff lasts 10-15s?

Might even give it the sonar pong every time it fires off.

More or less what I was suggesting before the semantic argument although I'd be tempted to have a chain effect rather than go the full 15k.

Or maybe make buff receptiveness a stat. That's in effect part of what resilience did in WoW after a fashion, beyond its more obvious role as a stat that segregated PvP and PvE.

(The basic setup there from my hazy memory was that they loaded players down with abilities that debuffed healing. They loaded PvP gear with crits. And they loaded PvP gear with resilience, a stat that offered resistance against crits and healing debuffs. This made using PvE gear in PvP dangerous and using PvP gear in PvE like using gear that was a full tier below PvE gear because stats were allocated towards PvP only stats. This had a brief side effect at a couple of points of making PvP gear desirable tanking gear because crits generated more threat over time than equal DPS in smaller hits and some raid enemies were very threatening due to crit and debuff potential.)

So maybe a ship could have gear... or just an innate ship modifier that determines the range it receives buffs at.

So a 1.0 mod equals, say, 10 km buff range. This is what cruisers get. 0.5 for escorts. 2.0 for sci vessels. Instead of just having it not affect shuttles, give them a smaller buff range and intensity modifier like 0.25.

You could introduce consoles that mod this.

Range is determined by the ship receiving the buff this way.

And like several of us suggested, the buff lingers for something like 10 seconds when you go out of range.

The net result is that it encourages escorts to hide behind cruisers but hang close (and escort) while encouraging sci vessels to hang back more.

I'd also look at maybe rethinking some of the threat mechanics so that equal DPS does not equal the same threat (rate of fire and weapon type should have threat mods) and look at buffing escorts who don't have top threat and penalizing escorts who do have top threat. Like a damage penalty associated with high threat levels or a bonus associated with not being #1 in threat while on a team.

A threat meter for this would be handy.