test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bye Bye AFK'ers

dontirridontirri Member Posts: 44 Arc User
From Redshirt boards:
We will be bringing down the Redshirt server for maintenance to apply a new update: ST.31.20130922a.10

General:
Players that AFK in a queued map will now receive the following penalty:
0 rewards for the event
2 hour cooldown on the ability to queue for any event
These changes are in the process of being implemented on all queued maps
Azure Nebula Rescue
Breaking the Planet
Crystalline Cataclysm
Gorn Minefield
Hive Onslaught
Infected: The Conduit
Infected: Manus
Into the Hive
Khitomer in Stasis
Khitomer Vortex
No Win Scenario
Nukara Prime
Starbase 24
The Big Dig
The Cure Applied
The Cure Found
The Vault: Ensnared
Vault Shuttle Event
Lunges can no longer be used against flying enemies.
Resolved an issue where Trill had the incorrect chest while wearing the Miner Outfit.
Resolved a crash that occasionally occurred while playing the mission "Trapped" and the queued event "The Big Dig".

Finally!
Post edited by dontirri on

Comments

• captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sadly im sure they will find a loophole, but good news. i hope they made it pretty bullet proof, but we will see.
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited October 2013
    this sounds like bad news all around..

how do they determine afk?
    what happens when you lag out?

if its a certain amt of dmg, what keeps the afk'r from doing a tiny dmg and then going afk?

sometimes i load a STF and it has like a 3 min loading screen.. first time i get that and get a 2 hour stf ban i am not going to be happy.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited October 2013
    Nicely done devs. Thanks.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
    edited October 2013
    sadly im sure they will find a loophole, but good news. i hope they made it pretty bullet proof, but we will see.
    macronius wrote: »

mark my words.. you guys were screaming about afkers ruining everything.
    once then put this in, i bet you 100% you same people will be screaming about all the times you get a 2 hour ban..

afkers are a problem yes.. but something automated is not the solution.. vote to kick would have been better.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Need to know what determines an afker. As already said, people wont be happy if they get the afk punishment because of server lag/long loading screens....

macronius wrote: »
    aarons9 wrote: »
    mark my words.. you guys were screaming about afkers ruining everything.
    once then put this in, i bet you 100% you same people will be screaming about all the times you get a 2 hour ban..

afkers are a problem yes.. but something automated is not the solution.. vote to kick would have been better.

Vote to kick would never work. Too much griefing potential for that to ever happen.

Now, had they used a vote to stay in method, that would have been better imo...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited October 2013

if its a certain amt of dmg, what keeps the afk'r from doing a tiny dmg and then going afk?

sometimes i load a STF and it has like a 3 min loading screen.. first time i get that and get a 2 hour stf ban i am not going to be happy.

This. Details would be nice.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Excellent. A step in the right direction if nothing else.
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Good to see, finally, anyone who has issues, must be an afk'r that is all. And adding, anyone who plays the game has nothing to fear :)

I suspect the system will take in account idle time, and possibly some sort of point system where if you do your tash or partake in the event, youll get points indicating your playing the content rather afk'n the event.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    what qualifies as AFK...not moving not shooting....is there a limit...if I move a few meters to the left am i no longer a AFKer, if I set my ship to autofire, and then leave while it attacks a cube, then am i fine??

What if I set this guy to play for me

but it's a start at least.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Details needed on what is afk...
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited October 2013

your concerns are quite valid BUT I, as well as many players are glad to see SOME action towards this game crippling AFK issue.. I mean for the limited play time I get for missions (I mostly DOff at work between sales calls coming in) I would like to bonus or succeed, not pay for the benefit of some jerk who has no sportsmanship.
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My guess is that it will be a 3 min sweep that is looking for hey strokes. If no keystroke happens than you are tagged afk
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    About time , though the afkers will probably just add some macro to have them fly around doing nothing useful.
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
    edited October 2013
    Oh yes, it is good to see Cryptic finally taking a stance on the afk problem.

Just don't want to see more of their blanket wide over the top stuff, they sometimes do.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rahmkota19 wrote: »

But if the Dev's do publish the details, then afkers will simply do the minimum amount of work before going afk...
  • kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think this is a disaster in the making, one way or another its going to turn out bad.
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
    edited October 2013
    My guess is that if they are using some sort of timer:

1. It won't be set for 3 minutes.
    2. They won't say what it is set for because the AFKers will just use that info to defeat the timer.

For example if the timer was set for 10 minutes the AFKers will move or do something at 9 minutes to avoid the penalty, then go back to doing nothing.

Keep silent Devs. Any info you release on how you are checking will just be used to figure out how to defeat the penalty.

And thanks for taking steps to discourage AFKing.

you are under the impression that most afkers are actually afk.. they are not..
    some even type in chat.. they hit need on everything.. they even move..

a timer wont work.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rahmkota19 wrote: »

That's what i was thinking.
    We all dislike leechers, but how is "afk" defined.

Is it just sitting there doing nothing?
    What if someone cloaks and flies around, but never contributes. Technically that person is not afk, but he/she is still leeching.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't need any details on what constitutes an AFK'er.

Why, because regardless I am active in every mission I queue for... If something comes up that would make me step away... I apologize to the team, then warp/beam out... Since I can't help finish the mission, I shouldn't accept any reward for the work done by others.

Any details given will only help others game the system, and continue to be asshats...

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I would "guess" that an intelligent AFK-detection would involve most of the following:

-non-cyclic keystroke input

-periodic damage or healing

-close proximity to target objectives (< 25.0 km) over the entire match

-position tracking

-length of the individual player's match combat log (counting only their personal entries)
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,861 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I don't know if bad all around...but yeah...how does it determine? Some people aren't afk though, they sit there at their keyboard and roll need on everything while others do all the work.
  • aleaicaleaic Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I severely hope... severely, that all this is strenuously tested prior to release on holodeck, as while the intentions are fine, the history of implementation, leaves the rest of the player base, at far too much risk of the 2 hour penalty, due to too many server issues, out of player's controls...

I've seen these afkers, and wish there was an autokick button for them, but then again, that too would be abused, usually by the same afkers. And not all afkers are simply able to play, as I've seen a couple that informed of RL issues, that were honest and understandable. Also seen too much, of players stuck loading into matches and runs, that could never get into their run, as a result of server glitchiness.

I really hope this doesn't end up as another week long wait, to clean up a plague of buges, caused by iffy software programming, rushed through before testing was properly done. If this all works as properly intended, cool. If I get a 2 hour penalty, cause of a power outage I can't control, and come back this penalty, my next forum post 'will' have colorful metaphors in it. Ye be warned.

Let's make this implementation, 'actually' work please.
    edited October 2013
    You guys have a point. Dev's, do not post the details surrounding the afk limit. If you are honest, you should not need to know!
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh hey, maybe I'll be able to play Mine Trap again. The amount of AFKers there is insane.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • kpg1usakpg1usa Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cloaking is a valid tactic, not a leech...
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    But if the Dev's do publish the details, then afkers will simply do the minimum amount of work before going afk...
    I don't need any details on what constitutes an AFK'er.

Why, because regardless I am active in every mission I queue for... If something comes up that would make me step away... I apologize to the team, then warp/beam out... Since I can't help finish the mission, I shouldn't accept any reward for the work done by others.

Any details given will only help others game the system, and continue to be asshats...
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    You guys have a point. Dev's, do not post the details surrounding the afk limit. If you are honest, you should not need to know!

In the field of computer security, there is a concept called "security by obscurity". It is considered a bad idea to rely on your opponents' ignorance of the your system's details. You should assume that your opponent is not dumb and will figure it out anyway. A good system is designed to work even against those who know the full details of the system.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    all i can think of...is yay \o/

probably see some erratic behavior from the former afkers as they try and figure out what the bare minimum is. movement, key presses, damage dealt total, damage dealt per time frame, one or all could be part of the check.

vote kick would not work, as there are a few fleets that rather enjoy trolling, queue up 4, get to the last boss, then kick pick up 5th and giggle would not be beyond them. the only ones that are going to qq are the afkers.

devs have more than enough data to work with to figure out what determines someone playing the mission vs someone faking it, or trying to.

too bad they didn't sneak it in unannounced....that would have been major popcorn drama when the afkers hit the forums whinging about the 2 hour penalty:D
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I bet that's just going to move the problem from afkers to bots...
    vote kick would not work, as there are a few fleets that rather enjoy trolling, queue up 4, get to the last boss, then kick pick up 5th and giggle would not be beyond them. the only ones that are going to qq are the afkers.

I've played other mmos where kick-votes have been implemented for years now, and it's never been an issue for me.
  • picardtheiiipicardtheiii Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I would be willing to bet that the requirements for getting an AFK ban are fairly extreme. Most likely extended periods of inactivity (perhaps a certain number of "different" commands constitute "activity" and not simply "steer left") combined with almost no damage or healing.

That being said, they aren't going to spell it out specifically to make it that much easier for people to game.

AKA:
    -You have to push three different buttons within a 2 minute time window
    -Do at least 20k damage or healing during the match

Sure there may be someone who cares that much about being able to AFK that he/she will invest hours upon hours trying various iterations of activity/non-activity to see what it is they can skate by with, but each failed attempt will cost two hours of game-play and will take quite some time to iron out, and I say make em pay that time, don't just hand it to them.

What I will say, is that I wish they had addressed this sooner, or would apologize for always trying to pull the wool over our eyes. Every time someone complained about this, we got the ol "Well, we really are doing something about it, but we can't tell you!" Obviously we all knew nothing was being done about it and now it is confirmed by the need for a system like this.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I would really like to know how this will work.
    Potentially getting banned from the queues for 2 hours because one has to answer the phone or deal with any kind of emergency would not be cool.