test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 8 and the ending of Voyager *spoiler*

vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
I hope it's not too late for this but I'd like to suggest avoiding some certain Voyager storyline elements in Season 8 or addressing them in a very specific way.

We all know that Janeway blew up Millions of Borg in order to get home. Movie wise I loved the ending. The uber Voyager eating through Borg was a stunning beauty. Trek wise it's the most horrible thing anyone could have done to the Star Trek philosophy.

Here's why:
- Temporal prime directive: In order to get home Janeway altered the timeline which is a blatant violation of the temporal directive. Even more so she did so for nothing but personal gain. While you could argue about 150 people benefiting of this, which is still nothing, she basically did it for Tuvok not to go crazy and for Chakotay to keep on dating his drone.

- Genocide: Janeways actions killed millions of Borg in the process. This nothing short of Genocide. While you can see the Borg with mixed feelings and you could argue that she saved millions of other worlds I would postulate that with all the knowledge they had they could have attempted to actually free those drones from the collective. This would have been the proper Starfleet way.

- High treason: If things had gone wrong the Borg would have been delivered cutting edge technology by Janeway that would have made them even more powerful. This includes powerful torpedos, impenetrable armor and worse a device that would allow to travel through time. Even if that device had been destroyed the Queen would still have found information in Janeways brain. As a matter of fact it could even be that the Queen was able to transmit some of the information gained by assimilating Janeway to other Borg as well (and not just that one single cube at the end).

For all these reasons Janeway should have been court martialed, demoted and kicked out of Starfleet with no honors. Instead she was promoted to Admiral.

Given these issues I'd like to make the following suggestions for Season 8:
- Either discuss the Voyager ending very critically with Janeway having been forced to leave Starfleet
- or do not make any reference to Janeway and her decisions at all. Just ignore her and the voyager ending completely. Voyager is just back, but that's it.

All in all, I'd like to ask you (Cryptic) not to glorify Janeway and the choices she made. This has no place in a universe adhering to Starfleet principles.
Post edited by vocmcp on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    We know that Janeway doesn't leave Starfleet as she's an admiral in Nemesis when she gives Picard his orders.

And as the Ablative Armor is in game, and as part of the game premise of why Starfleet does so well against the Borg is due to the future tech Janeway gives Starfleet it would seem someone pointless to over look it. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    every captain has done one of them things if not all lets not for get sisko committed genocide but know one want to talk about that he got the bad guy at the end of the day..............
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,109 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    We know that Janeway doesn't leave Starfleet as she's an admiral in Nemesis when she gives Picard his orders.

And as the Ablative Armor is in game, and as part of the game premise of why Starfleet does so well against the Borg is due to the future tech Janeway gives Starfleet it would seem someone pointless to over look it. :)

In the path to 2409. she is onboard another ship investigating the Hobus star explosion.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    vocmcp wrote: »
    I hope it's not too late for this but I'd like to suggest avoiding some certain Voyager storyline elements in Season 8 or addressing them in a very specific way.

We all know that Janeway blew up Millions of Borg in order to get home. Movie wise I loved the ending. The uber Voyager eating through Borg was a stunning beauty. Trek wise it's the most horrible thing anyone could have done to the Star Trek philosophy.

Here's why:
    - Temporal prime directive: In order to get home Janeway altered the timeline which is a blatant violation of the temporal directive. Even more so she did so for nothing but personal gain. While you could argue about 150 people benefiting of this, which is still nothing, she basically did it for Tuvok not to go crazy and for Chakotay to keep on dating his drone.

- Genocide: Janeways actions killed millions of Borg in the process. This nothing short of Genocide. While you can see the Borg with mixed feelings and you could argue that she saved millions of other worlds I would postulate that with all the knowledge they had they could have attempted to actually free those drones from the collective. This would have been the proper Starfleet way.

- High treason: If things had gone wrong the Borg would have been delivered cutting edge technology by Janeway that would have made them even more powerful. This includes powerful torpedos, impenetrable armor and worse a device that would allow to travel through time. Even if that device had been destroyed the Queen would still have found information in Janeways brain. As a matter of fact it could even be that the Queen was able to transmit some of the information gained by assimilating Janeway to other Borg as well (and not just that one single cube at the end).

For all these reasons Janeway should have been court martialed, demoted and kicked out of Starfleet with no honors. Instead she was promoted to Admiral.

Given these issues I'd like to make the following suggestions for Season 8:
    - Either discuss the Voyager ending very critically with Janeway having been forced to leave Starfleet
    - or do not make any reference to Janeway and her decisions at all. Just ignore her and the voyager ending completely. Voyager is just back, but that's it.

All in all, I'd like to ask you (Cryptic) not to glorify Janeway and the choices she made. This has no place in a universe adhering to Starfleet principles.

Did we watch the same star trek? Kirk constantly broke Starfleet regulations and he ended up being an admiral. Benjamin Sisko was a conspirator and accomplice in the assassination of a Romulation Senator and he ended up being an Admiral. Picard murdered many starfleet officers when he became part of the collective, yet he took up the captain's chair once again after being freed. Umm, what star trek were you watching?
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    Did we watch the same star trek? Kirk constantly broke Starfleet regulations and he ended up being an admiral. Benjamin Sisko was a conspirator and accomplice in the assassination of a Romulation Senator and he ended up being an Admiral. Picard murdered many starfleet officers when we became part of the collective. Umm, what star trek were you watching?

very much this^^^^^^ oh lets talk about the time sisko told the bajoran's not to join Starfleet think they for got that one to
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    In the path to 2409. she is onboard another ship investigating the Hobus star explosion.
    Yeah, but she was an Admiral in Starfleet when she did that. She hadn't been kicked out.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    Did we watch the same star trek? Kirk constantly broke Starfleet regulations and he ended up being an admiral. Benjamin Sisko was a conspirator and accomplice in the assassination of a Romulation Senator and he ended up being an Admiral. Picard murdered many starfleet officers when he became part of the collective, yet he took up the captain's chair once again after being freed. Umm, what star trek were you watching?

Well I don't think those things were quite as bad as on Janeways scale. Furthermore it was Garak killing the Senator even if Sisko had his part in it. And Picard wasn't quite himself as Borg wasn't he?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Well I don't think those things were quite as bad as on Janeways scale. Furthermore it was Garak killing the Senator even if Sisko had his part in it. And Picard wasn't quite himself as Borg wasn't he?

there is no if about it he new it and told no one why do you think he beat the hek out of him in his shop at the end of the EP and guess what still told no one we have names for ppl like that......hmmmm let me think what they could be and I will get back to you :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    And your point is...?

Just because other captains have acted in a similar way does not invalidate the point the OP is making. Generally speaking the story was written in the way it was to facilitate an exciting and interesting conclusion to the series. If it were real Jayneway would never have acted in that manner, she was up until that point one of the most religious supporters of the prime directive passing up opportunities to get home faster in favour of honouring the Starfleet principles.

I agree with the OP on this, I hope that Cryptic are clever enough to start including some Star Trek in Star Trek Online.

typical post here here from janeway haters :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Prime Directive violations seem to be consistently treated on the basis of their intent and their outcome, not the fact that they were violations. The same argument appears to be applied to other acts like disobeying orders (First Contact), so this should also cover exposing future tech to adaptation and potential assimilation.

As for genocide, Starfleet established when they reprimanded Picard for not deploying his fractal virus that genocide against the Borg was not just condoned, but standing order should the opportunity arise again. There is nothing to suggest Janeway could have freed those millions - she only managed to free one, with multiple circumstances in her favor and still a huge amount of difficulty. The sphere that was freed in Unimatrix Zero had even more circumstances in its favor (most of which were destroyed in that episode), and was not freed by Janeway.
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »

As someone once pointed out to me, Voyager only makes sense if you consider Janeway to be the villain of the show.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    walshicus wrote: »
    As someone once pointed out to me, Voyager only makes sense if you consider Janeway to be the villain of the show.

you hated her I liked her as did the others that keep that show on the air for 7 years ;) to bad for ent tho :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    walshicus wrote: »

Or if you assume she was not a fit captain for the situation.

Consider the setup: She got a ship full of untested experimental equipment, without conventional backups, with insufficient supply, without a full load of torpedoes. She was never meant to be out there for very long.

And she was being sent to deal with the Maquis, which in Starfleet terms is a freebie. They're branded as terrorists, so if things go wrong and she kills a bunch of them it isn't going to win them a lot of sympathy, the Cardassians want to wipe them out anyway, and they're woefully underequipped to deal with a proper starship from either side of the DMZ.

This is a mission that even if she screws up, she'll probably bring the ship and the crew (possibly except Tuvok) back, and which will probably not spiral into an incident. The sort of mission it's ok to send a bad captain on. Think of it like an admiral: The only way she could possibly TRIBBLE this mission up is if an alien demigod blasted her across the galaxy... and what are the chances of THAT happening?

... Oh.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »

Voyager, along with DS9, was my favorite show of the Trek series. That doesn't make the ending any better. And now stop trolling this thread.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Ridiculous comment.

I do not hate Janeway at all, Voyager was my second favourite of the series after TNG.

Your comment above merely reflects your inability to write a credible argument in support of your first point and against the premise I presented.

point this point that all any one says around here pointpointpointpointpointpointpointpointpointpointpoint who has the <<<biger>>> point!!! :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Why should the present Janeway be punished for any of this anyway. It was all done by her future version. Should she be punished for crimes she has yet to commit. (didn't go well for tom cruise) And anyway her future self was half assimilated, blown up and (presumably) wiped from history. I think that might be punishment enough. lol
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Now this is a very good argument in support of the genocide of the borg mentioned in the OP's thread, Admiral Nechayev did indeed instruct Picard to take any opportunity to wipe out the borg threat.

If I recall correctly Picard was not very happy with these instructions though. I bet he'd have disobeyed if he had been offered a second chance. I believe Nechayev's order was against the values of Starfleet. Even more so since future Janeway brought new technology that could have helped much in freeing mass amounts of Borg instead of killing them.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The argument could be made that future-Janeway was present-Janeway's superior officer, and that by objecting to the plan and proposing alternatives, she had done her due diligence, and that in the end she was following orders because disobeying them would only further endangered her crew.
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Future Janeway violated the temporal prime directive. Not present Janeway. You can not court martial someone for something they haven't done. If you want to court martial future Janeway posthumously, I'm sure she wouldn't have objected.

When in their collective form, there are not billions of 'Borg'. There are billions of drones who are part of one entity. No warfare against the Borg can be considered genocide. Until they are separated from the collective, a drone has no individuality.

Treason indicates betrayal. Even if the plan is unwise, that plan does not indicate treason. Also, if the level of confidence in the technology is high enough, it may not even be unwise.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,994 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Voyager was also captured multiple times
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      edited September 2013
      Now you are talking gibberish, I see no point in replying to any more of your posts.

I want to start a new drinking game any time you see some one use the word <<<point>>> on here go take a shot 100$ says you be plastered with in 2 minutes if not less :D:D
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      system Lord Baal is dead
    • Options
      edited September 2013
      hevach wrote: »
      The argument could be made that future-Janeway was present-Janeway's superior officer, and that by objecting to the plan and proposing alternatives, she had done her due diligence, and that in the end she was following orders because disobeying them would only further endangered her crew.

Yes, I like this. this is the direction we should be going.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    • Options
      edited September 2013
      If I recall correctly Picard was not very happy with these instructions though. I bet he'd have disobeyed if he had been offered a second chance. I believe Nechayev's order was against the values of Starfleet. Even more so since future Janeway brought new technology that could have helped much in freeing mass amounts of Borg instead of killing them.

He was not happy about them, and if that second chance had come before Generations I don't think he would have taken it either. If it came after Generations, he would have taken it, gone back in time, taken it again, and then made out with a guest star on a mountain of broken Borg, because I think something in his brain broke, either when the Enterprise-D was lost or when the Borg returned in First Contact.

That's Picard, though. He's a statesman and a diplomat, and unique among the Star Trek captains. I believe Kirk would have taken the opportunity, even if doing so was moral agony to him. Sisko would have taken that opportunity even if it meant burning half the galaxy first, because this was his nightmare made flesh. The man built a ship as his personal Avatar of Vengeance and sought to reforge Starfleet into his weapon against the Borg, after all. Janeway would have taken it unless not taking it offered some hope of getting her crew home - that Ahab had two whales and getting home was the biggest.

But it was still a standing order. If you disobey an order like that, you better have some spectacular justification. But if you follow it, even if that spectacular justification might be there (and in this case it's based on hypothetical future events and not immediate actions) you're following orders and diminishing the Borg threat, the act is its own justification.
    • Options
      edited September 2013
      azniadeet wrote: »
      Future Janeway violated the temporal prime directive. Not present Janeway. You can not court martial someone for something they haven't done. If you want to court martial future Janeway posthumously, I'm sure she wouldn't have objected.

When in their collective form, there are not billions of 'Borg'. There are billions of drones who are part of one entity. No warfare against the Borg can be considered genocide. Until they are separated from the collective, a drone has no individuality.

Treason indicates betrayal. Even if the plan is unwise, that plan does not indicate treason. Also, if the level of confidence in the technology is high enough, it may not even be unwise.

- Present Janeway used the technology given to her to alter the timeline => violation of temporal directive
      - Very interesting definition concerning genocide. I don't agree with it. Individuality is not a requirement for it.
    • Options
      edited September 2013
      Just a sec. Are people really arguing in favor of some kind of "Save the Borg" campaign? Because to be honest, I think genocide is the way to go where Borg are concerned.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy