test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I understand now why pvp is dead.

Comments

• dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    jakego wrote: »
    wow, after reading all this I highly doubt I want to even try this game. To all you who bought their way to "skill" enjoy your dying game because as Bob is my witless you will get very few if any new players. The best gear should only give a slight edge against stock gear. No one should ever be forced to fight a guy in a tank with a bow and arrow. Kind of like SWtOR, people exploited the snot out of that game and hardly anyone plays it anymore. Exploiters and basement dwellers ruin a lot of good games. When will the industry get a clue and move the games server side?

its not like that. and this game has just about the most generious F2P ive ever seen. its really not that hard to get the 'good' stuff, its just a mater of time OR money. fleet ships just cost fleet marks EC for the fleet moduals, cheaper and better then getting a stock ship that cost dilithium if you dont have leveling tokens due to being a silver. its worth going gold till you get to top level, in a month you should be able to level between 4 or 8 characters depending on the time you got.

all the best gear costs in game money, its not that hard to get. all the top end ships are on the exchange too. rep leveling is just an ec and mark sink.

there is no buying skill, thats the 1 thing that cannot be made up for. or the majority of people that que up wouldn't pop like balloons despite them having all the best gear from grinding or paying to bypass the time grind.

i haven't read this thread for quite wile, but its proboly mostly just ******** that they die and everyone that doesn't is an exploiter. it cant be that they just really suck and dont actually understand the game they are playing at alll, noooo couldn't be that. but there are a ton of resources to address that, just in case that actually is the problem.
  • mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    i haven't read this thread for quite wile, but its proboly mostly just ******** that they die and everyone that doesn't is an exploiter. it cant be that they just really suck and dont actually understand the game they are playing at alll, noooo couldn't be that. but there are a ton of resources to address that, just in case that actually is the problem.

Thanks shotmedrunkdont ^o^

which makes me want to repeat myself to a certain other person in this thread "People that work for their builds should have an advantage over someone who doesnt."

Wouldn't thinking the opposite sound really self entitled?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    mewi wrote: »
    Thanks shotmedrunkdont ^o^

which makes me want to repeat myself to a certain other person in this thread "People that work for their builds should have an advantage over someone who doesnt."

Wouldn't thinking the opposite sound really self entitled?

I agree that gear in STO is fairly easy to get. I don't agree with putting much of the games best gear behind Fleet walls though. That does nothing to help new players. I think most of that gear should be Multi personal rep unlocks. I would like to see Cryptic add multi personal rep fleet gear unlocks after they do another personal rep. Something like level 3 personal rep tiers to 5 get access to tier 3 fleet gear... level 4 get access to level 4.

Anyway to your point does it make people sound entitled to assume that a game with PvP would in fact balance it ? Yes I guess your right that is a very entitled position to take. :)

STO / Cryptic has been terrible at PvP balance, frankly that anyone that has started playing the last year has stuck around to get better at PvP amazes me. If I started playing a new previously existing MMO where I felt I would have to grind hard for 2-3 months to just get passable gear I wouldn't bother. Seriously I wouldn't not worth it to me when there are so many other very good pvp games out there where that isn't required of me.

What STO needs is a system like Anets GW2 PvP system. We need open zones (like kerrat, larger and better would be cool though) where you can run what ever you earn by grinding PvE. In PvP though you should be using a second paper doll of your ship... that can only equip PvP gear... of which there should be no advantage to any of it. If they feel the need to make money off of PvP they can do it through cosmetics. Perhaps a PvP cosmetic system that unlocks PvP paint jobs with shiny tech. (like the improved skins on the summer ship). They could also provide Fireworks. (Yes I am serious why not have different pvp fire works displays that have charges and put them in the zen store... who wouldn't want to drop a fire works vulcan hand salute on a victim... or a smiling gorn ect ect lol)

If the open PvP zone was good... they could still cash in on PvPers with the regular PvE junk toys... and for the PvP players that prefer there opponents not be handicapped due to being 4 years behind on the grind... they can take it to the arena system where all gear is equalized... and when they prove themselves the better player they can drop exploding Picard face palm displays over there victims respawn cameras. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    As a person that did join the game in the last year, the above post illustrates something.

I came very very close to not bothering to gear for PvP after my initial observations and some research. Six months later here I am, finally fricken ready.

And the grind burned me out on the game. Now I dont even feel like it most of the time.

So there is your new player. I am totally burned out but hey now im finally ready to fight you on even footing.

>=/

My personal testimony may not amount to much, considering I am a hardcore PvPer by background, but anyone with less of a drive wouldnt bother. Seriously, I cant see why they would.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    jakego wrote: »
    wow, after reading all this I highly doubt I want to even try this game. To all you who bought their way to "skill" enjoy your dying game because as Bob is my witless you will get very few if any new players. The best gear should only give a slight edge against stock gear. No one should ever be forced to fight a guy in a tank with a bow and arrow. Kind of like SWtOR, people exploited the snot out of that game and hardly anyone plays it anymore. Exploiters and basement dwellers ruin a lot of good games. When will the industry get a clue and move the games server side?

Here's the thing, you're directing your righteous anger and indignation at the wrong people. Please point your soapbox at Cryptic not the players.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    As a person that did join the game in the last year, the above post illustrates something.

I came very very close to not bothering to gear for PvP after my initial observations and some research. Six months later here I am, finally fricken ready.

And the grind burned me out on the game. Now I dont even feel like it most of the time.

So there is your new player. I am totally burned out but hey now im finally ready to fight you on even footing.

>=/

I do agree on that. The damned Reputation system takes too long to complete, that by the time you consider yourself even remotely ready for any type of PvP, you are burned out.

I experienced this while getting my Romulan character up to fully geared. Took her three months, and I only ended up playing her for two weeks.

EDCs anyone?
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It's only going to get worse as more and more Reps are added, more and more Fleet Holdings are added, more and more this/that/whatever. The gap between the new player and the "veteran" will continue to grow. While this is somewhat fine for PvE in most games, it generally creates an issue in PvP for most games...
    edited September 2013
    It's only going to get worse as more and more Reps are added, more and more Fleet Holdings are added, more and more this/that/whatever. The gap between the new player and the "veteran" will continue to grow. While this is somewhat fine for PvE in most games, it generally creates an issue in PvP for most games...

That is every game that has progression extended for content.... Why should the new players get everything faster when the veterans went through it also and spent the same time?? because the veterans were here first?? Pssh as if.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    That is every game that has progression extended for content.... Why should the new players get everything faster when the veterans went through it also and spent the same time?? because the veterans were here first?? Pssh as if.

Because the elitism of this post doesnt equate to fresh players to shoot at. The harder you make it to par up for PvP, the fewer newbies you will get.

Unless youre ok with a dwindling veteran pvp population that isnt being replaced at the rate they are burning out or quitting...

And im sorry but perpetual noob stomping just sounds boring.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Because it weren't balanced enough during the time of the veterans, because they were early in the curve when the changes was newer and the devs more naive, because the devs made a mistake in making pvp gearing the same as pve gearing (ie stupidly long grind... I don't take 6 months to gear up a fresh Hunter, for example!).

And if they are going to perpetuate the mistake of making the grind too long because to do so would somehow "invalidate" the veterans who already have gear and are crying for new blood, then PVP deserves to stay deserted.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
    edited September 2013

For the life of me, I've got no idea why you replied to what I said with what you said...

edit: I thought it was pretty clear, but maybe this will help...?

PvE

Typically a case of doing Content A to get Gear X to do Content B to get Gear Y to do Content C to get Gear Z...etc, etc, etc. Tada, progression.

PvP

No, that's not a mistake that there's nothing there. There's nothing there. There's no progression.
    edited September 2013
    Because the elitism of this post doesnt equate to fresh players to shoot at. The harder you make it to par up for PvP, the fewer newbies you will get.

oh yeah, it is elitist to expect them to work equally the same as us....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Then stop complaining no one wants to PVP :P

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    rep is hell, but if you can figure out a good routine it can be a bit less painful. the burnout doesn't last too awful long, and pvp is more enjoyable without an arm tied behind your back. it was worth it
    edited September 2013
    rep is hell, but if you can figure out a good routine it can be a bit less painful. the burnout doesn't last too awful long, and pvp is more enjoyable without an arm tied behind your back. it was worth it

I'm curious how they're handling the Voth Task Force Rep, since depending on how that goes - they're looking at changing the other three.

It's kind of put me in the position of not wanting to work on any of it...that wait and see thing.

Willard's 5/5/5, Prophet's 5/5/4, Plague's 5/5/3...New Rom, Omega, Nukara. Other guys are anywhere from 0 to 3...more toward 0 than 3.
  • lterlter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Suposedly, you'll have access to MkXII's since Tier 1, or I think they said something somewhere like that. I don't think though, that the forced delays to get the skills will be gone, which is, along with rom marks and overpriced dilithium costs of the items, the worse part of rep...
  • webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I do agree that is it a pain that most of the best gear is locked behind Fleet based Grind system and personal reputation grind system where it takes at least 2 months of Dedicated grinding in order to unlock some of the best abilities and Gear (Sometimes longer because of needing the Credits to buy said gear)

I miss the old days when it was just a matter of amasing the credits that could take less then a month in order to get the gear you would desire/need for PVP.

Still not sure what they are planning to do for Season 8, rumors are flying about that.

But I know if they do another grind, I don't know if I'll want to participate in that, or anything else at this point.. Getting tired of Grinding for gear and it hurts having multiple characters.
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    khayuung wrote: »
    Then stop complaining no one wants to PVP :P

What am I complaining about except for the person who is mad that Cryptic didnt give them an NPC that had everything in the game for 0 EC?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    What am I complaining about except for the person who is mad that Cryptic didnt give them an NPC that had everything in the game for 0 EC?

Ill be blunt. Who gives a damn what stuff you have?

That should NOT matter to PvP. The fact it currently does in this game is one of the biggest reasons new players go the one and done route.

Losing is one thing, hopelessly getting bashed in the face by a total showoff with "stuff" is just taking the TRIBBLE.

Especially the ones that queue vs pugs just to noobstomp for easy quick kills. Where the hell is the competition in that? Go fight the other people with loads of "stuff" and leave the newbies alone. Youre only gonna drive them away.

Seriously, quit bringing up your "work" and hoard of stuff.

I dont want free stuff, I want PvP to not be DEFINED by what you have, because right now it is, and it is destroying any hope of it ever making a large scale comeback.
    Gold.jpg
    edited September 2013

That should NOT matter to PvP. The fact it currently does in this game is one of the biggest reasons new players go the one and done route.

Losing is one thing, hopelessly getting bashed in the face by a total showoff with "stuff" is just taking the TRIBBLE.

Especially the ones that queue vs pugs just to noobstomp for easy quick kills. Where the hell is the competition in that? Go fight the other people with loads of "stuff" and leave the newbies alone. Youre only gonna drive them away.

I dont want free stuff, I want PvP to not be DEFINED by what you have, because right now it is, and it is destroying any hope of it ever making a large scale comeback.

I'll be blunt, who cares that you are new? I'm not going to give you frees.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

so its fine that everyone can spend real money to get fast sets for TIF and other broken items compared to people who ,in the past, played the game to get that very rare and best ,at that time ,accx3 weapon?

lemme guess ...everyone should have the same sheets even if one works more than the other.

other great ideas mr Stalin?

we should be able to buy Elite Skill from Fleet stores....only t5 fleet.
  • roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited September 2013
    So youre one of the daft that believes pvp is only for people that are the best at it?

Very good, you just completely destroyed your whole premise.

Move along.

No. I'm one of the people playing the pug ques (schoolyard kickball).

I was trying to illustrate that expecting to be able to compete with a well geared and experienced team, without being part of a well geared and experienced team, is unrealistic.

However, I can still play the game for its own sake, without unrealistic expectations.
    edited September 2013

No its just plain stupid and game ending.

Seriously his point is valid...

If you make the grind to become = in terms of gear (not talent or know how) then you defeat yourself. Old players leave its just the way it is people move on over time... you NEED to replace them with fresh faces... and if they can't compete due to there gear being 3-6 months behind... they won't ... and guess what... NO MORE FREAKING PVP at all.
    Really if you have 4 full years of PvP experience the fact that a new player would come into a PvP match = in terms of gear still shouldn't save them... well unless you are not as good as you think you are I guess. :)

Your attitude is plain game destroying.

The only real option cryptic has anymore to save pvp in this game is to honestly REMOVE the rep and pve gear from PvP completely. I stand by that because it is 100% true.

Look around at every other MMO company right now and pay attention to how they setup there pvp systems. They either;
    1) have a PvP only gear system where the grind is 1-4 weeks MAX. (think TOR / RIFT)
    or
    2) remove the idea of PvP gear or any other gear effecting PvP at all. (GW2 / Defiance)

In its current state STOs serious pvp can't survive another 6 months of the same... one more fleet holding and one more personal rep... and there is 100% no way any new player will put up with 8 months of PvE Grinding just to compete on a basic level in PvP in this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    I'll be blunt, who cares that you are new? I'm not going to give you frees.

ya we get it ... if you both loaded whites you would loose. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    so its fine that everyone can spend real money to get fast sets for TIF and other broken items compared to people who ,in the past, played the game to get that very rare and best ,at that time ,accx3 weapon?

lemme guess ...everyone should have the same sheets even if one works more than the other.

As far as the PvP que goes YES...

we should only be allowed to load -p gear ... that frankly would all be WHITE. no mods... no uni consoles... no set bonuses. no rep.

The crazy thing is at that point even if the doffs where left alone... the game would be super balanced. lol (and FUN)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    No its just plain stupid and game ending.

Seriously his point is valid...

If you make the grind to become = in terms of gear (not talent or know how) then you defeat yourself. Old players leave its just the way it is people move on over time... you NEED to replace them with fresh faces... and if they can't compete due to there gear being 3-6 months behind... they won't ... and guess what... NO MORE FREAKING PVP at all.
    Really if you have 4 full years of PvP experience the fact that a new player would come into a PvP match = in terms of gear still shouldn't save them... well unless you are not as good as you think you are I guess. :)

Your attitude is plain game destroying.

The only real option cryptic has anymore to save pvp in this game is to honestly REMOVE the rep and pve gear from PvP completely. I stand by that because it is 100% true.

Look around at every other MMO company right now and pay attention to how they setup there pvp systems. They either;
    1) have a PvP only gear system where the grind is 1-4 weeks MAX. (think TOR / RIFT)
    or
    2) remove the idea of PvP gear or any other gear effecting PvP at all. (GW2 / Defiance)

In its current state STOs serious pvp can't survive another 6 months of the same... one more fleet holding and one more personal rep... and there is 100% no way any new player will put up with 8 months of PvE Grinding just to compete on a basic level in PvP in this game.

Where are you guys getting this six months figure from? lol If it takes you six months to get competitive in STO... you aren't doing it right.

His point isn't very valid, his argument is that it takes too long to get the best gear in the game, ignoring the lesser gear that isn't much further off from the best gear. This argument is his entire reasoning for why he wants every build standardized and those that worked for their gear to be stripped down to their level of work, which is close to nil by comparison.

ya we get it ... if you both loaded whites you would loose. ;)

Funny, very funny, but not for the reasons you are winking about. ^o^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    Where are you guys getting this six months figure from? lol If it takes you six months to get competitive in STO... you aren't doing it right.

Go role yourself a 100% new account... DO NOT send yourself anything from your current accounts. DO NOT take anything from friends... DO NOT get any gear from your existing fleets stores. (only get stuff from new friends you make on your new account)... tell me how long it takes you to get to pvp with a good set of weapons / gear / full rep / fleet shields ect.

If you tell me a couple weeks your full of S. ;)

New players don't have existing toons to farm them extra D... or friends to send them a few million EC... or friends that have fleet bases at tier 5 ect ect. Get real.... yes I can get a PvP toon ready in 1 month... with help from 4 years of grinding previous. Not the point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    As far as the PvP que goes YES...

we should only be allowed to load -p gear ... that frankly would all be WHITE. no mods... no uni consoles... no set bonuses. no rep.

The crazy thing is at that point even if the doffs where left alone... the game would be super balanced. lol (and FUN)

That's complete BS ...so much BS that I need to open a window.

Next step is to give everyone the same ping,same frame rate and same hardware.

I hope you are trolling .

In the real world where game with pvp actually give you pvp gear let people have that gear by playing pvp .You play and you rank up ...with ranks you unlock better gear.Somewhere after many pvp matches (which you already play with people at your rank) you and some few people will have the best gear in game ...that makes the difference between a rank 1 and a max rank.

I have no idea where you people get this communistic idea that everyone should have the same shets .I see that buying TIF set is fine but getting that from a pvp store with pvp currency is bad.

Im sure you people bleed when you see someone in real life having a better car or better stuffs than you .Everyone should have the same paycheck .

Stalin mentality in STO.
    edited September 2013
    Go role yourself a 100% new account... DO NOT send yourself anything from your current accounts. DO NOT take anything from friends... DO NOT get any gear from your existing fleets stores. (only get stuff from new friends you make on your new account)... tell me how long it takes you to get to pvp with a good set of weapons / gear / full rep / fleet shields ect.

If you tell me a couple weeks your full of S. ;)

New players don't have existing toons to farm them extra D... or friends to send them a few million EC... or friends that have fleet bases at tier 5 ect ect. Get real.... yes I can get a PvP toon ready in 1 month... with help from 4 years of grinding previous. Not the point.

Why would I bother with that? That would be a complete waste of time for me, to prove an OBVIOUS point to a few self entitled players. Thanks, but I don't need to prove this, because it is easy to gear up with competitive gears, in two weeks. Of course it wont be the best of the best, but you don't need the best of the best to stand a chance. Reputation will take a little longer however.

Do you seriously think it would take 6 months? lol.................... hell... do you even think it would take two?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • p2wsucksp2wsucks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

ACCx3 weapons were only needed for builds/teams that didn't have/want to fit a TB (or some other movement debuff).

The broken stuff back then wasn't gear or whack out gear/doffs working as designed, it was the shield swapping bug & vold etc.

The difference between a purp and white quality weapon really was marginal. Most players would've taken common phasers over purple tets as an example. That really is empirical fact and not at all comparable to the time gate rep system grind nor lotto/fleet ships&gear.

The reality is PvP balance in this game is well beyond repair and they've time gated new toons/players via the rep system into significant empirical distadvantages (that's not something that can be sped up w/$).
    [Zone] Dack@****: cowards can't take a fed 1 on 1 crinckley cowards Hahahaha you smell like flowers
    Random Quote from Kerrat
    "Sumlobus@****: your mums eat Iced Targ Poo"
    C&H Fed banter