test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Into Darkness named WORST ST film EVER

eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,051 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Ten Forward
Found this on Yahoo and thought I would share if you haven't seen it already

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/star-trek-into-darkness-named--worst-star-trek-film--073112668.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jon59650jon59650 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Worst Trek film? Have they ever heard of Nemesis?
    sto-afk-list.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Or Insurrection? Or Final Frontier?
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    i agree it is very bad ST film
  • Options
    marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The fact that Galaxy Quest is in the list shows how stupid the list is.

Yes the newest movie had its problems but I still would have less difficulty watching it then Star Trek The Motion Picture. Star Trek The Motion Picture is the most boring of them all.
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Or Insurrection? Or Final Frontier?

Thou shalt not bash ye movie where ye one true Kirk disses god.

That only shows poor taste.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    search for Spock was gawdawful......

I liked into the darkness....very entertaining.

not boring soap opera drama that most are which make good TV, but very awful movies.....

movies are for 2 hours of entertainment...Darkness delivered delightfully.......

Search for Spock....did not.
    edited August 2013
    The fact that Galaxy Quest is in the list shows how stupid the list is......

/thread

edited August 2013
    jon59650 wrote: »
    Worst Trek film? Have they ever heard of Nemesis?

I liked nemesis better than the JJ TRIBBLE
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • Options
    mingtran2mingtran2 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Into Darkness was a good Action Sci-Fi Movie in General, just not a good Trek Movie. If a similar story and/or special effects are used in a movie that is not Star Trek IP, more people would have liked it
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I dont remember voting in this, so I'm not sure a room of a few hundred people using god knows what voting method counts for much.

Into darkness was a very good film. It's better than half of what went before it but unless people vote in the millions then its all just personal opinion.

And yes galaxy quest invalidates any credibility it has.
  • Options
    nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Insurrection cannot be beaten.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hasn't the same sort of thing been said about pretty much every star trek film?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    johnny1051johnny1051 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    mingtran2 wrote: »
    Into Darkness was a good Action Sci-Fi Movie in General, just not a good Trek Movie. If a similar story and/or special effects are used in a movie that is not Star Trek IP, more people would have liked it

Exactly this. I'm not a JJ hater at all, But these reboots leave me missing the original crew and next gen crew more and more. They are fine movies, but they're not Star Trek to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    talajtalaj Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I enjoyed Into Darkness.

Star Trek Generations on the other hand.... even these don't compare to just how pants it was.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I would've expected Into Darkness to be near the bottom, but at the very bottom? C'mon, it wasn't that bad...

...Galaxy Quest? Seriously? :confused:
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    johnny1051 wrote: »
    Exactly this. I'm not a JJ hater at all, But these reboots leave me missing the original crew and next gen crew more and more. They are fine movies, but they're not Star Trek to me.
    I grew up watching TNG. TOS just kinda feels like a differnt show sometimes.... :P

The point? New series just won't feel the same.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The fact that Galaxy Quest is in the list shows how stupid the list is.

Yes the newest movie had its problems but I still would have less difficulty watching it then Star Trek The Motion Picture. Star Trek The Motion Picture is the most boring of them all.

I'm a devout devotee of TOS, but I must concur, Star Trek: The Motion Picture was really ... disappointing.
  • Options
    tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I went into Into Darkness (lol) with basement level expectations. I can say that I was pleasantly surprised with the result. I didn't like the first JJTrek movie but this one was well done.

Now if we want to compare it to previous movies... Theres a long list of worse ones.
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The only two Star Trek movies that are not good are TMP and Nemesis. The rest are OK in some capacity- maybe not great for Star Trek, but they're good moveis, JJTrek especially.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    "What does God need with a starship?" Just saying. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    mingtran2 wrote: »

Disagree. It IS a good Trek movie. It's just not your ideal of what Star Trek is. I wouldn't even begin to try to count the times I've read the line "JJ Trek is not REAL Trek!!!"

To me the new films still very much feel Trek, just a bit faster and sexier. Streamlined.

Too many 'fans' are getting hung-up on their personal ideal of what these films should be and spit venom when they find that the new Trek is a bit different in tone and pacing than the TV series. The only way they would accept the new movies into their personal canon is if they were two hour morality plays with heavy handed and high minded concepts. Don't get me wrong, I love TOS and TNG, but just making the movies long running TV episodes and slapping it up on screen might please the hardcore nitpicky Trek audience, but would bomb the box office. Winning TV formula=/=winning movie formula.

If I wanted to watch Trek on TV, I would watch Trek on TV. When I go see a movie, I wan to see a movie. Box office results would seem to indicate that many Trek fans share my feelings.

The new Star Trek movies are just as much 'Trek' as anything else with that name attached to it. (More than some IMO) It just may not be your flavor. I remember much the same kind of arguments when TNG aired.

That I enjoyed TNG didn't make me any less a fan. The fact that I like the new movies doesn't suddenly invalidate my Trek-Fan card.

Enjoy the ride or don't, but cries of "this ain't Trek" are tiresome, annoying and embarrassing.

Haters gonna hate. "True Trek fans" gonna hate LOUDLY.

(P.S. Nemesis, far and away the worst)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I cried when Spock died in WoK. I cried when Kirk died in ID. That's good enough for me. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Die hard Trek fans hating new Trek dear god...wait that's not new diehard TOS, and diehard TNG fans have been fighting each other since the 80's.

Nemesis better HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Riiight Nemesis threw everything Picard was out the window in one shot.

how is it that Picard has no problem killing his alternate reality future self like a boss, but his clone Ohhh nooooooo I must cry here till Data shows up and beams me our.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If you read the article this was all voted for by the attendees of the STLV convention. This would give you a good idea of why the films placed the way they did.

I've got to say, I enjoyed Star Trek 2009 much more than I did Into Darkness but I don't think either are good films at all, Trek or not they were easily outmatched by other similar genre films available at the time.

I'm of the view though that Star Trek doesn't belong on the big screen, which is why actually good Star Trek films are few and far between when compared to their similar genre counterparts available at the time or shortly after.
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I feel the biggest weakness of Into Darkness was that they didn't keep it to their own thing, their own story, like the previous film had been.

For good or for ill, that went it's OWN way. ID though...just felt so...underwhelming. I cringed so hard inside when I heard the 'evil Admiral of the week' in that movie mention Section 31.

Then they added in Khan, who was played well of course, but it was still Khan, and not a new villain to be focused on. Carol Marcus was a nice touch though, not for the 'sexy full body shot' they gave her, but more that, hey, she is still around because of the time period it is in.

Having old characters is fine to me, but only as long as they are doing their own story. Let's be honest, a huge majority of the moving going public, aka 'Billy Bob' and 'Mary Anne' aren't going to know spit about Section 31, and it's never mentioned again. If they had taken out Khan and focused on Section 31, it would've been better IMO.

It felt like Trek to me, it was fine in that regard, but it didn't feel like it's own story.

Insurrection is my least favorite though.

TMP: Good ideas in theory, just SO DAMN BORING!
    SfS: Kruge is a lot of fun, and I think it's done well in regards to how the other major powers would consider the Genesis Project quite dangerous.
    FF: A nice picture all in all, trying to go into a very interesting territory, just kind of silly in the execution.
    Generations: For as...'fan-ficcy' as it can be, it's kind of a good way of looking at how the captains and crews have changed. They aren't as young as they were, and so they are thinking about the future, and what they wish they could do again. I do like it.
    Insurrection: My god, do I hate the Baku. If anybody knows who Linkara is, my views pretty well mirror his in regards to that movie.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Though it was roundly enjoyed by the general public - it's made over $450 million around the world - the hardcore fans took issue with the movie.
    If it makes money they don't care what Trekkies think.
  • Options
    cabezadetortugacabezadetortuga Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Clearly, The Search for Spock continues to be the worst Star Trek movie ever made.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Clearly, The Search for Spock continues to be the worst Star Trek movie ever made.

I love Star Trek 3 it was Dark, and serious, and showed the loyalty of the crew, because after that Trek became a joke when they tried to bring in humor into the movies.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    i loved star trek into darkness apart from that one line ( you guys know the one im talking about) that took me out of the film but apart from that i thought it was excellent and the jj abrams films are pretty good i think the only reason folks are whining is cause they hate change.
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I grew up watching TNG. TOS just kinda feels like a differnt show sometimes.... :P

The point? New series just won't feel the same.

I grew up with VOY/TNG reruns on UK tv channels and after watching TOS on lovefilm recently, to does feel totally different
    Disagree. It IS a good Trek movie. It's just not your ideal of what Star Trek is. I wouldn't even begin to try to count the times I've read the line "JJ Trek is not REAL Trek!!!"

To me the new films still very much feel Trek, just a bit faster and sexier. Streamlined.

Too many 'fans' are getting hung-up on their personal ideal of what these films should be and spit venom when they find that the new Trek is a bit different in tone and pacing than the TV series. The only way they would accept the new movies into their personal canon is if they were two hour morality plays with heavy handed and high minded concepts. Don't get me wrong, I love TOS and TNG, but just making the movies long running TV episodes and slapping it up on screen might please the hardcore nitpicky Trek audience, but would bomb the box office. Winning TV formula=/=winning movie formula.

If I wanted to watch Trek on TV, I would watch Trek on TV. When I go see a movie, I wan to see a movie. Box office results would seem to indicate that many Trek fans share my feelings.

The new Star Trek movies are just as much 'Trek' as anything else with that name attached to it. (More than some IMO) It just may not be your flavor. I remember much the same kind of arguments when TNG aired.

That I enjoyed TNG didn't make me any less a fan. The fact that I like the new movies doesn't suddenly invalidate my Trek-Fan card.

Enjoy the ride or don't, but cries of "this ain't Trek" are tiresome, annoying and embarrassing.

Haters gonna hate. "True Trek fans" gonna hate LOUDLY.

(P.S. Nemesis, far and away the worst)

While i agree with your sentiment, i find that the voyage home was the worst, ''There be whales here'' seriously? , but back to the main part of what you were saying

Peoples focus on what they want things to be just kinda shows how self entitiled some fans seem to be on the matter

Something i encounter with all franchises of Sci fi it seems, people want it to be how they want it, and any other way is wrong

To all the haters , Surely if your a fan of Treks principles, you should be open to the concept of something being different and new? and perhaps you should refrain from acting so agressively to it when other enjoy it? Perhaps the message of peace and tolerance flew over your head and YOU are not the true fan?

I'm not suggesting you should love it, that would be forcing my experience on others, which is wrong, I'm simply asking you to accept that Some of us ( A lot judging by the box office ) enjoy it and we would like you not to tread on our experiences and enjoyments
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......